Darkterror the Faceless Void is a melee agility hero generally played as an off-laner or carry. Given a little time, he becomes a terrifyingly powerful hero capable of destroying entire enemy teams in seconds.
Wielding his cosmically powered mace, each hit can lock his foes in time, stopping them in place. He can jump into or out of combat using Time Walk while simultaneously reverting recently taken damage. Darkterror can also pause his foes' cooldowns with Time Dilation, lowering their attack and movement speed in the process. His ultimate, Chronosphere, locks time for everything within its area of effect, giving him time to strike down any enemies caught within with no resistance from them for several seconds. Though ideally he wants teammates who can capitalize on Chronosphere, it's one of the most devastating initiation spells in the game and can easily win team fights before his opponents can react.
|Darkterror, the Faceless Void|
|Play "From a place beyond time, and time beyond counting."|
|Role:||Carry / Initiator / Disabler / Escape / Durable|
|Lore:||Darkterror the Faceless Void is a visitor from Claszureme, a realm outside of time. It remains a mystery why this being from another dimension believes the struggle for the Nemesis Stones is worth entering our physical plane, but apparently an upset in the balance of power in this world has repercussions in adjacent dimensions. Time means nothing to Darkterror, except as a way to thwart his foes and aid his allies. His long-view of the cosmos has given him a remote, disconnected quality, although in battle he is quite capable of making it personal.|
|Voice:||Dave Fennoy (Responses)|
- Time Walk moves Faceless Void with a speed of 3000.
- Faceless Void is invulnerable during Time Walk.
- Does not disjoint projectiles upon cast.
- Does not travel the full distance, when targeting closer than the max distance.
- Upon cast, any damage Faceless Void took in the last 2 seconds gets healed back up. This includes damage dealt by allies.
- Since it is a heal, it is prevented by Ice Blast.
- Only backtracks the 3 damage types. Heals and HP Removal are not backtracked.
- Status buffs and debuffs, cooldowns and mana are completely unaffected.
- Does not actually freeze cooldowns, instead, it adds 6/8/10/12 seconds on ongoing cooldowns.
- Abilities cast by affected units after the debuff is applied are not affected by the debuff.
- Does not affect the cooldown of items or abilities without a cooldown. Does affect cooldowns of passive abilities.
- Does not affect the recharge time of charge-based spells.
- However, if the last charge of a spell was used and the icon shows a cooldown, that cooldown is affected.
- Freezing that cooldown causes the recharge timer and the cooldown to desynchronize, so that the spell is still on cooldown even after gaining a charge back.
- The slow has no stack limit. Each ability on cooldown adds a stack.
- Also counts the cooldown of hidden abilities, like Invoker's uninvoked spells, Whirling Axes or Battle Cry.
- Rubick's stolen spells which are on cooldown and already lost do not count, as they are not hidden, but removed.
- The stack count can only increase, and never decline. If an ability gets refreshed, the slow still keeps all the current stacks.
- Abilities can still be reset (e.g. Refresher Orb) while affected by Time Dilation.
- However, when reset in any other way than a Refresher Orb (e.g. Rearm), abilities go back on cooldown again upon losing the debuff.
- Multiple instances of Time Dilation do not stack. Recasting it has no effect on spells which are already affected by a previous cast.
- Does not stack with other bashes. The bash from Skull Basher and Abyssal Blade is completely disabled for Faceless Void.
- The damage can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link.
- Adds an average of 5/11.25/20/31.25 magical damage to every attack.
- Time Lock uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Chronosphere affects all units which are not owned by Faceless Void, including buildings, wards and allies.
- Does not affect couriers, hidden units and invulnerable heroes. All other invulnerable units are fully affected.
- While in the Chronosphere, Faceless Void and any units he controls are phased and hasted, meaning they cannot be slowed below the set value.
- Faceless Void and illusions of him (be it his own, enemy or allied illusions) are never disabled by any Chronosphere.
- However, the movement speed and phase is only provided to the caster of it.
- The only exception is illusions from an allied Replicate, which also gain the movement speed inside the Chronosphere.
- Affected units are stunned. When other units walk inside the area, they also get affected for its remaining duration.
- Cancels most sources of Forced Movement upon applying the disabling debuff on a unit.
|+600 Time Walk Cast Range||25||20% Evasion|
|+120 Gold/Min||20||+300 Health|
|+25 Damage||15||+7 Armor|
|+8 Strength||10||+15 Attack Speed|
- The armor and attack damage are added as bonus armor and bonus attack damage, and therefore do not benefit illusions.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The evasion stacks multiplicatively with other sources of evasion.
- Quelling Blade greatly increases Faceless Void's ability to last-hit creeps, which is important for ensuring that he farms well in the early game. By augmenting his already formidable attack damage, Faceless Void can ensure that the enemy has a hard time denying him even if they are in a position to.
- Tango and Healing Salve are important for ensuring that Faceless Void remains in-lane despite enemy attempts to harass him. Because Darkterror is a melee hero, he must get closer to the creep wave in order to last-hit and thus exposes himself to harassment.
- Slippers of Agility provides Faceless Void with increased base damage as well as a small amount of armor, giving him better farming power and a little physical survivability.
- Stout Shield can be a very strong starting item to purchase on Faceless Void, as it provides him with damage block from the start, ensuring that he has survival against harass damage.
- Magic Stick can be useful to get on Faceless Void given his small base HP and mana pool. The burst regen can give him more survivability and the ability to cast his spells if he finds himself in lots of early engagements.
- Boots of Speed give Darkterror more movement speed, important in the early game since he is a melee hero who must be able to position himself quickly for last-hitting and avoiding harass.
- Poor Man's Shield is useful for providing Darkterror with damage block as well as additional armor and base damage. Increasing his survivability in the early game is important for ensuring that he can transition past the laning stage and become a threat later in the game.
- Morbid Mask allows Faceless Void to lifesteal, important for ensuring that his HP remains topped off, especially while farming in the jungle. As well, the lifesteal still applies during Time Lock procs, and it builds into a Mask of Madness, which is a very important item to get.
- Iron Talon helps Faceless Void get extra farm. Use it to clear out the side camp next to the off-lane.
- Ring of Aquila is useful for providing Faceless Void with early attributes and mana regen. The all-around stats give him more base damage, HP and mana, the armor gives him increased survivability and helps reduce damage taken from creeps while farming, and the mana regen greatly helps to replenish his mana given his poor base intelligence and intelligence growth.
- Magic Wand can give Faceless Void increased stats, and provides even more burst HP and mana regen than Magic Stick.
- Power Treads provides bonus attack speed and the ability to switch attributes, useful for giving Faceless Void more HP for survivability, more mana for casting spells on his limited mana pool, or more attack speed and base damage for dealing damage.
- Town Portal Scroll is important to have on all heroes. The immense initiating and disabling power of Chronosphere means that Faceless Void's presence in any teamfight can assure victory if he initiates properly.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a situational item to pick up on Faceless Void. As the item provides survivability and not increased damage output, it does not greatly assist Faceless Void in killing enemies during Chronosphere. However, the greatly decreased cooldown allows Chronosphere to be used tactically, getting guaranteed pick-offs against lone enemies and then coming off cooldown in time for the next engagement. As well, the bonus mana and intelligence decrease the strain that Chronosphere's high mana cost places on Faceless Void's mana pool.
- Blink Dagger massively enhances Faceless Void's initiation factor. With its range almost double that of Time Walk, it's an important item for catching multiple enemy heroes.
- Butterfly is a very powerful item to have on Faceless Void. The evasion gives him survivability against physical attacks, increasing his ability to ignore enemy attacks while the increased agility, damage and attack speed greatly increase his ability to deal damage with his attacks.
- Daedalus is one of the best damage boosting items Faceless Void can pick up. The added damage and 2.4x crit will boost your physical damage output immensely. When coupled with some attack speed boosting items, Faceless Void becomes a very fearsome threat against enemies.
- Monkey King Bar grants True Strike, some attack speed and a significant increase in attack damage. It can be a necessary item to get in order to deal damage to enemies that have evasion.
- Heart of Tarrasque is always useful in any low-HP hero. The gigantic HP increase will allow Faceless Void to better weather attacks, especially from damage nukes that may be targeted on him from outside of a Chronosphere. The HP regen outside of battle can also allow him to become a bigger threat against the enemy team if he manages to slip away temporarily, as he can return shortly after with a full HP bar that the enemy must chip away at all over again.
- Moon Shard can be a strong damage item for Faceless Void. The greatly increased attack speed can allow him to proc Time Lock and certain items much more often, greatly increasing his DPS. The increased night vision range can give him a strong vision advantage at night which in turn can allow him to initiate good fights he otherwise could not have seen. Consuming the item can free up an inventory slot for a permanent attack speed bonus, clearing up the item slot for an extra lategame item.
- Black King Bar can be a powerful defensive item if the enemy has ranged disablers nukers that can position themselves to avoid being caught by Chronosphere. Activating spell immunity during Chronosphere allows Faceless Void to avoid being disabled or nuked down from outside the sphere, which lets him focus his undivided attention on targets inside. The item also provides Faceless Void with more HP and attack damage, giving him increased survivability and damage output.
- Battle Fury is a well-balanced farming item that provides Faceless Void with self-sustain as well as attack damage. The HP and mana regen let Faceless Void farm for extended periods of time without returning to base, while the cleave, bonus creep damage and additional attack damage allow him to farm creeps more quickly. As well, the cleave allows Faceless Void to spread physical damage around inside of Chronosphere, useful if he can catch multiple enemies in close proximity.
- Mjollnir is a strong farming and attack damage item that greatly increases Faceless Void's damage output during Chronosphere. The increased attack speed and Unique Attack Modifier allow Faceless Void to farm creeps more quickly, and the Chain Lightning can proc multiple times during a Chronosphere to spread magical damage around to all caught enemies. As well, the active can allow Faceless Void to punish enemies if they try to attack him, whether he is inside a Chronosphere or not.
- Refresher Orb is a risky but strong utility item that allows Faceless Void to cast Chronosphere twice in a teamfight. While purchasing a Refresher Orb will reduce Faceless Void's carry potential as it does not provide him with increased damage output, doubling up on Chronosphere's disable duration can give Faceless Void's team an additional window with which to focus and burst down enemy heroes, which can be necessary for winning fights.
- Vladmir's Offering is a safer alternative to Mask of Madness trading away the attack speed and added damage in exchange for more well rounded stats and an aura that affects your team.
- Linken's Sphere is commonly built as a means to increase Faceless Void's survivability in conjunction with Time Walk. It prevents single target disables or silences from disrupting his initiation with Chronosphere and can save his life in a gank.
- Diffusal Blade is a solid damage increasing pick up that also allows Faceless Void to remove silences, slows, and several other sorts of debuffs, potentially saving his life or preventing his initiation from being disrupted. As well, it's a good item to pick up if against enemies who are weak to losing their mana, such as Wraith King to prevent him from reencarnating, or Morphling to prevent him from escaping using his various escaping tools or gaining a lot of strength through Morph.
- Necronomicon is another potential pick up if the user needs to burn the enemy's mana pool, and it's much more efficient at it than Diffusal Blade while also granting Void stronger pushing potential which is otherwise very weak. However, a level 3 Necronomicon is also far more costly than Diffusal Blade (Even taking into account the need to eventually buy another recipe) and offers nothing to Void if the summons are killed, making it a highly situational pick up.
- In DotA, Faceless Void's alternate/fun name is Gorzerk.
- Faceless Void's death response, Play "Unkind…Rewind" is likely a reference to the old saying, "Be Kind, Rewind", a saying used to remind customers to rewind rented VHS tapes before returning them to the store.
- Faceless Void's respawn line Play "In the land of time, the no-eyed man is king." refers to the famous adage by Desiderius Erasmus: "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
- The word "Chrono" is a Greek word which means "time", and when combined with "sphere" can be translated as "The sphere of time", much likely to describe his Ultimate's ability (to pause/stop time for his own purpose).
Model and icons before March 20, 2015 Patch