Enigma is a ranged intelligence hero who uses his abilities to cripple his enemies, supported by a seemingly inexhaustible army of creeps. His fearsome abilities can bind entire teams under his might. Enigma is also a formidable jungler and pusher owing to his ability to create creeps.
The deliverance of his ultimate, Black Hole, engulfs an area around him with dark energies and disables enemies caught within it, making him an extremely powerful yet conditional initiator and disabler. His Midnight Pulse consumes sections of enemies' life in a region over time and his Malefice stuns targets. His trademark ability is Demonic Conversion, which splits a creep into three eidolons under his control. If they can land enough attacks on an enemy unit before their expiration, they multiply and are healed to full health.
- The first instance occurs upon cast, and then every 2 seconds.
- Can deal up to 90/165/240/315 damage (before reductions).
- Can deal up to 390/465/540/615 damage when the damage increasing talent is chosen.
- Can deal up to 240/440/640/840 when the number of instances increasing talent is chosen.
- Can deal up to 1040/1240/1440/1640 when both talents are chosen.
- On each tick, Malefice first applies the damage, then the stun.
- Multiple instances of Malefice do not stack, but refresh the duration instead. It continues ticking with the tick rate of the first cast.
- Demonic Conversion kills the target unit, granting the gold and experience bounty, or resulting in a deny when cast on allied units.
- Attacking buildings or allied units does not count towards the number of attacks required to multiply, but attacking wards does.
- The attack is counted upon projectile launch, not upon hit, therefore, it does not matter whether the attack actually hits the target or not.
- Eidolons multiply upon their 7th attack projectile launch, regardless of whether the attack is a valid one (such as a building).
- When multiplying, the Eidolon's health is refreshed. Their duration is not refreshed.
- However, the splitting Eidolon's duration gets increased by 2 seconds.
- Eidolons can only multiply once. Eidolons which spawned through multiplication, cannot multiply.
- Midnight Pulse deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 9/10/11/12 instances.
- Can deal up to 42.75%/55%/68.75%/84% of the affected units' maximum health as damage (before reductions).
- Successive casts of Midnight Pulse work fully independently from each other.
- Destroys trees within 550 radius at the target location upon cast.
- Spirals affected units counterclockwise towards the center at a speed of 30, resulting in a maximum possible distance of 120.
- The closer the units are to the center, the stronger they get pulled to the center, with almost no pull, but only rotation at max distance.
- Can pull affected units over impassable terrain and through trees without destroying them.
- Units inside Black Hole can be pulled out by various spells. , , and cannot move units out of Black Hole.
- The pull and disable are provided by an aura, which lingers for 0.5 seconds, or until the channeling stops, whichever is shorter.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 4 instances.
- Can deal up to 400/600/800 ( + 19%/22%/25%/28% of maximum health) damage (before reductions).
does not actually cause to be cast when using Black Hole, it just adds its damage to Black Hole:
- The extra damage is equal to the current level of Midnight Pulse, so if not learned, Black Hole deals no extra damage.
- The extra damage is dealt in separate instances, in the same intervals as Black Hole's damage, resulting in 8 total instances together with Black Hole's regular damage.
- The extra damage is dealt across the whole radius of Black Hole and lasts for the duration of Black Hole.
- The extra damage stacks with any previously cast Midnight Pulse and deals pure damage.
- Unlike the Midnight Pulse skill, the upgrade's pulse damage hits ancient creeps.
- Also unlike Midnight Pulse, it does not destroy trees in the area upon cast.
- Provides 800 range ground vision at the targeted point for 4 seconds upon cast.
|+100Instance Damage||15||15% Cooldown Reduction|
|+15% Magic Resistance||10||+200Attack Range|
- The magic resistance talent stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The magic resistance talent increases Enigma's magic resistance to 36.25%.
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- Increased base Intelligence from 16 to 19.
- Increased damage per second from 50/100/150 to 100/150/200.
- Level 15 left talent: Increased from +40 instance damage to +100.
- Increased damage from 30/50/70/90 to 30/55/80/105.
- Level 15 Left Talent: Replaced +150 Gold/Min with +40 Instance Damage.
- provides mana to produce Eidolons in the early game.
- provides some health regeneration to keep Enigma in jungle or hold the lane.
- grants mana to use Demonic Conversion in lane.
- a pair of those can easily turn into a Bracer or Soul Ring while also giving you survival on off-laning.
- helps in the jungle since it gains charges from neutral creeps casting their abilities, restoring health and mana to Enigma.
- is a great source of mana, allowing him to use his Demonic Conversion as often as possible. Enigma does not mind the health cost since he does not often go close to enemies as his abilities and Eidolons have good cast range and attack range.
- covers Enigma's lack of effective health from the start of game and can be sold away easily.
- help you get into position to use Black Hole.
- as an alternative to Soul Ring can provide some extra mana regeneration and damage as well. Can be used as a step stone for Veil or Vladmir's.
- is a cost effective upgrade from Magic Stick.
- helps your positioning greatly and helps to pull off a good Black Hole. Might need to be rushed way early by pushing lanes with Eidolons.
- is highly recommended, as Enigma can farm very quickly in the early stages of the game, is relatively item independent, and has a large mana pool, all of which are traits of a strong Mekansm carrier. The added armor, health regen, and active heal can also aid Eidolons, and is very effective. The active can help greatly in teamfights or pushing a lane.
- is a small upgrade for Boots of Speed by providing extra mana and can be combined with Mekansm for Guardian Greaves. If you guaranteed a Soul Ring, alternatively, Arcane Boots can get disassembled for an Aether Lens later.
- spell immunity so the enemies cannot easily interrupt Black Hole. It applies a basic dispel on activation to shake off most simple debuffs like plain silence and prevent further disabler casts when heading out for the combo. grants
- is an alternative to Black King Bar for when the enemy team has disables that ignore spell immunity, such as and or long ranged position juggling effects like . When paired with Guardian Greaves, you'd have a reliable dispel at your service and can maintain safe distance. Consider casting its Spell Block to the other initiator when they're leading.
- can be an alternative to Linken's Sphere to endure damage and position when paired with any sort of invisibility buff or spell immunity like BKB. Can be a safety net for unique aggro deflect skills like , or at late game.
- allows a slot to be freed, provides a steady supply of health and mana regeneration to the team, and increases Enigma's survivability. Aside from healing and replenishing mana for the team, the Mend ability will apply a basic dispel that helps his team when they are disabled or silenced.
- gives Enigma high health and mana regeneration. The active allows Enigma to use Black Hole twice in one fight.
- stacks with the cooldown reduction talent to reduce the cooldown of Black Hole, putting constant pressure on the enemies with the frequent threat of his dangerous ultimate ability. Spell lifesteal will provide survival at the presence of damage reflect or counter-attacks such as or .
- grants him additional cast range, allowing him to land his ultimate perhaps at much quicker speed without having to walk toward the team and also to keep him out of harm's way if there is a nearby enemy that is not caught by his ultimate.
- allows Enigma to get away from a sticky situation off-laning early game or disable a healer in teamfights. It also provides movement speed, self-cast dispels debuffs and helps to array a Blink cast.
- 's attack speed aura helps Eidolons multiply faster also offers regeneration at an astounding rate. Furthermore, the dominated creep also adds to Enigma's pushing power for jungling.
- 's summons can be handy for watching for any flanks, deny disabler attempts with mana burn and allows more lane pressuring with Eidolons. A decent defensive choice mid-game when you are laned against large area of effect nukers or ricocheting burst casters.
- is an alternative pick to deny very specific hard counters such as long ranged disables, damage over time debuffs or abilities that turn your own power back at you such as . The damage return can help you slide away from a dire situation by creating an intimidating barrier, disencourages enemy from focusing on you.
- grants a debuff that make inflicted enemies miss also improves Black Hole damage.
- can help the Pulse damage output of Enigma greatly if he can position with invisibility. Empowering both of his initiator spells for suppression.
- allow Enigma to initiate while suffering damage over time debuffs or very long ranged mini-stuns that can cancel out Blink Dagger. When paired with Aether Lens, it can be an alternative to Blink Dagger.
- provides an intense increase to mana regeneration, and adds a much needed secondary disable that does not have a cast point.
- being an unusual option for an alternate secondary disabler, ranged carry heroes become less of a trouble with Disarm ability and improves spell lifesteal from Octarine.
- greatly increases the effectiveness of Black Hole, as well as much needed attributes to remedy his health and mana pools.
- also gives Enigma some mana management bonuses with protection, and its active ability synergizes well with Black Hole.
- can be an alternative to Mekansm when the healing cannot out-do massed area nukes in a push. When you have more than one fragile carry heroes in your team or already have a healer, they will appreciate the thought in a team fight.
- grants invisibility so Enigma can initiate with the element of surprise. It can be an alternative to Black King Bar or Blink Dagger when combined with Smoke of Deceit or have means of disabling the enemy carry hero.
- can be a better investment than Shadow Blade; in case the enemy team has passive ability, damage return or aura carriers and push together at spread positions.
- rewards bonus gold and experience so Enigma can gain access to powerful items and talents sooner. While risky to set on a lane, a jungle meta would give you better chances to build gold up.
- can be used for rushing Roshan faster, but it can also be used for ganking and letting your eidolons deal some damage.
|Roles:||Disabler Jungler Initiator Pusher|
|Playstyle:||A mystery worthy of his name, Enigma could only be described as a being of the void, a beast between planes. He draws aspects of himself from other dimensions, performing Demonic Conversions to summon numerous Eidolons. The ground darkens under a Midnight Pulse, and foes are stunned by the unseen force of Malefice as they try to flee its entropic effects. One legend has it that Enigma is actually the first collapsed star. This theory grows more plausible as Enigma begins to channel a cosmic singularity, pulling all except himself into the superdense center of his Black Hole.|
- Many of Enigma's responses are references to Friedrich Nietzsche's works; the line, ▶️ "I stare also into you." references a passage in Beyond Good and Evil, where it is stated that "And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you".
- Enigma's rival line towards ▶️ "Even time may fail in the face of gravity.'" is a reference to the time dilating effect of gravity.
- Many of Enigma's responses are also references to concepts in cosmology (the Big Bang, gravity wells, redshifts, and black holes) or particle physics (path integrals, universal constants).
- In DotA, Enigma's hero name was Darchrow. In the transition to Dota 2, his name was removed, most likely to emphasize his hero title.
- fundamental forces of the universe with Enigma representing the gravitational force. This is reflected in several of Enigma's responses to these heroes. ▶️ "The Fundamentals unite." , , , and together represent the four
- The term "eidolon" comes from ancient greek literature, where it refers to a human-like phantom, the shade of one who died.
Model before Version 7.00