|is a very mobile and evasive carry due to his ability to strike from range or dodge enemy attacks using and . Playing Ember Spirit requires quick reflexes, good judgment and an aggressive mindset, as his instant cast animations and high mobility allow skilled players to outplay and outwit opponents, darting around the map to be where they least expect.|
- Comes online early since abilities output high magical damage.
- and talents increase uptime of disables in Searing Chains and mobility in Fire Remnant, thus making him more survivable.
- increase survivability of ember by passive lifestealing using octarine
- Shines late game with Sleight of Fist enhanced with damage items, and against high number of enemy units when having .
- Consider defensive items like as physical Ember Spirit is not as survivable as the magical version.
- is recommended when having , or as an attempt to turn around a losing game.
|Magical Carry Ember Spirit|
|Physical Carry Ember Spirit|
|-20Charge Restore Time||25||2Charges|
|True Strike||20||+10% Spell Amplification|
Tips & Tactics
- The only benefit of leveling up Fire Remnant is its damage; The number and duration of remnants remains the same. It is viable to level Fire Remnant sooner for more burst damage in incoming teamfight.
- When laning against certain heroes (in mid) that rely on skill to harass ( 's , 's , 's ), one point in Sleight of Fist might be valuable to dodge their damage. Note that Sleight of Fist dodge skills by rendering Ember Spirit invulnerable rather than disjointing them. As an example, Sleight of Fist should be used just before hits you, not immediately after the skill being used.
- Sleight of Fist doesn't help Ember Spirit farm at all in early to mid game when he has few attack damage items. Flame Guard and Searing Chains help a lot to deal damage, and Fire Remnant helps Ember Spirit move around the map quickly and farm dangerous lanes.
- Ember Spirit has mana issues early in the game - using Fire Remnant to chase will often put you in danger. The higher level of Sleight of Fist you get, the further your Searing Chains can hold the enemy.
- A good combo is to use Sleight of Fist, and right when you are dealing the damage, use Searing Chains. This is useful when chasing, as it allows you a few seconds to regain lost ground. Also, it can be used for ganking, but be wary not to use it when the enemy is near a creep wave, as Searing Chains might miss
- While Ember Spirit is an agility hero, Ember Spirit has very low armor and poor agility growth, making him vulnerable to physical damage despite his respectable strength growth. As such, he depends on using his spells and mobility to dodge attacks, disjoint projectiles and evade counterattack. His dependency on casting also makes him vulnerable to disables, particularly stuns and silences, as they prevent him from avoiding damage that his small HP pool is ill-suited to deal with.
- In general, Ember Spirit is best played either as a core farmer in the safe lane, or as a mid. As a safe lane farmer, Ember Spirit can safely farm up the items he needs to become a late-game threat, and his mobility allows him to engage on the enemy offlaner unexpectedly and help disable them during ganks, or evade enemy ganks targeted on him. As a mid, getting fast levels early on allows him to gank side lanes and get kills with his mobility and disables, giving him a strong early-game presence and allowing him to snowball out of control.
- Searing Chains' scaling means that it can be used as a strong early-game damage nuke, and its low cooldown allows it to be cast multiple times in a fight if need be. As such, it is a good candidate for your first ability to max out.
- Keep in mind, the targets for Searing Chains are chosen randomly, so creeps can be hit if they are within the spell's radius. When attempting to chain down an enemy player, ensure that there are no creeps nearby that can foul your attempts to disable them, or try to position Ember Spirit such that only the hero and at most one other unit are within the spell's radius.
- This ability can be combined with Sleight of Fist, as the latter spell positions Ember Spirit next to the target to be slashed during each strike. This means that Sleight followed by Chains can allow Ember Spirit to root enemies from long range if the combo is timed correctly.
- Searing Chains will root affected targets, preventing them from using teleporting abilities and items.
- Sleight of Fist is best described as an area-of-effect physical damage nuke that allows Ember Spirit to apply attack damage to all enemies within the spell's radius.
- While this spell does not disjoint projectiles, Ember Spirit is invulnerable for its duration, so any projectiles that hit him during the spell will not affect him. As such, it can be used to effectively dodge damage and disables by becoming invulnerable as the projectile hits him.
- Remember that creeps hit by this spell will take half damage from Ember Spirit's strikes and do not take the bonus damage, so it is a poor early farming ability. Only once Ember Spirit has accumulated enough raw damage and a cleave will it be useful for cutting down groups of creeps.
- Conversely, as the damage dealt is based on Ember Spirit's attack damage, Sleight of Fist is one of the strongest scaling abilities in the game, since Ember Spirit can apply large amounts of physical damage as well as attack modifiers on the entire enemy team every six seconds. If Ember Spirit builds enough raw damage items, he can potentially wipe the entire enemy team in a single cast of this spell.
- Mind that evasion, blind and disarm will affect Sleight of Fist, so it is possible that strikes during this spell will not hit their targets depending on any evasion items the enemy is carrying, or if Ember Spirit is affected by blind or disarm.
- Take the True Strike talent to land all attacks during Sleight of Fist.
- Invisible enemies will not be targeted for a slash by this spell, however it will hit enemies in the fog of war. Combined with Searing Chains, this allows Ember Spirit to jump at enemies in the dark and chain them down, which can prevent players from juking into the jungle and teleporting away.
- Ember Spirit can use abilities and items during Sleight of Fist, though he will still return to his original position regardless. As such, it is possible to execute unorthodox combos such as beginning to channel Town Portal Scroll during the invulnerability or sending a Fire Remnant during the slashes and then jumping to it once done. Be sure to gauge your timing based on the number of targets within the striking area, however, as more targets means a greater slashing duration.
- To escape, use Fire Remnant during Sleight of Fist so the remnant has time to travel some distance away from Ember Spirit.
- It's very important to remember that, no matter what, Ember Spirit will always return to the position he was in when Sleight of Fist was cast as soon as it's over - Using , Activate Fire Remnant, teleporting, among other things that can alter his position, are never queued, they occur as soon as they are activated and Ember will continue slashing any left targets if Sleight of Fist had not concluded by then no matter where he is, and then return to the cast position.
- Regarding purchasing more than one , bear in mind that your second one will increase your cleave damage by 100%, and your third by 50%. Getting a fourth is not recommended as it increases the damage by 33.3% in relation to your current cleave damage, and as such, it is better to get a as the critical chance grants approximately a 40% overall damage increase.
- Flame Guard shields Ember Spirit from magical damage, traditionally an agility carry's greatest weakness, while also allowing him to deal burn damage to all nearby enemies.
- Besides the charge restore time on Fire Remnants, Flame Guard is Ember Spirit's longest cooldown ability. As such, try to use it sparingly, as casting it to farm creeps may leave you vulnerable if the enemy attempts to gank you shortly after.
- In the early game, Flame Guard gives Ember Spirit protection against magic damage, as well as allowing him to deal it to enemies while chasing them down. As such, Ember Spirit is a potent early-game fighter if he has a few points in this ability.
- In order to use this spell to its maximum effectiveness, particularly in mid match-ups, try to aim to only skill it to the point where you can ignore the enemy's burst damage attack and still have the shield up to deal burn damage to them. If facing a weak magic nuker in the mid lane, one or two points in this ability can allow you to shrug off their alpha strike, and then continue to deal burn damage to them while also expending the remaining points in Searing Chains, increasing its overall damage and disable duration.
- Fire Remnant allows Ember Spirit to place a Fire Remnant at the target location, and then cast Activate Fire Remnant to quickly dash to it, exploding it to deal area magical damage.
- Fire Remnant is Ember Spirit's primary mobility, initiation and escape ability, as it allows him to re-position himself almost instantly, no matter his position relative to the remnant. As such, it can be used not only to quickly close the distance to an enemy while dealing nuke damage upon arriving, it can also be used to move across the map, whether to escape from an enemy gank or to arrive at a friendly one.
- As with Sleight of Fist, Ember Spirit does not disjoint projectiles upon casting Activate Fire Remnant, but is invulnerable during the travel time. As such, it can be used to disjoint projectiles if they connect with him while he is invulnerable, though beware of projectiles continuing to chase you if the remnant's location does not allow you to path over the projectile during the spell. If this is the case, consider having Sleight of Fist ready to cast on any non-friendly creeps at your destination, in order to dodge any projectiles that might follow you across the map.
- Beware of Activate Fire Remnant's heavy mana cost, as combined with Ember Spirit's small mana pool it can completely drain him of mana if he tries to cast it more than once or uses it in combination with his other spells. Always keep an eye on your mana to ensure that you're able to cast Activate Fire Remnant when needed, and try to avoid using it more than once in a short period of time as this also depletes your Fire Remnant reserve.
- Fire Remnants do not provide any vision and are thus not visible through the fog of war. Remembering where the remnants were placed is important, in order to not get accidentally in danger.
- While its most basic use is to initiate on an enemy over distance, Fire Remnants can also be used as an escape tool. By placing one in an area of known safety, Ember Spirit can instantly dash away in the face of overwhelming danger, evading ganks or quickly retreating after a successful kill.
- Beware that the Fire Remnant's travel speed is based on that of Ember Spirit when it is sent forth. This means that if Ember Spirit is suffering from slow debuffs, the remnant will take longer to reach its destination, which can give the enemy more time to kill him. As such, it is wise to place a remnant beforehand, or to avoid being affected by slows before casting it. Conversely, this also means that its travel speed can be boosted by increasing Ember Spirit's movement speed, such as using Drum of Endurance's active.
- Fire Remnants do not scale very well, as the only thing that increases is the amount of damage dealt by an exploding remnant upon arrival. Unless you regularly use the explosion damage as part of a damage nuke, it is usually wise to skill it at level 6 but to avoid taking additional levels until your other regular abilities are maxed out.
- In concert to the above, a dangerous but powerful tactic is to cast all three Fire Remnants at a target location and then dash to them, dealing 300/450/600 near-instantaneous alpha damage. However, keep in mind that this will completely deplete your remnant reserve, greatly reducing your mobility for at least the next 35 seconds.
- One useful trick with Fire Remnants is that, due to their global re-positioning potential, they can be dropped in place prior to using a Town Portal Scroll or other globally re-positioning item, and then return to your previous location if so desired. This can be useful for things such as quickly replenishing HP and mana at base, quickly teleporting to defend or counter-gank and then returning to farming/pushing, and so on. In particular, the first tactic is extremely strong when combined with a , as Ember Spirit can replenish his HP and mana, grab any items from stash, and refill his bottle all at the cost of a Town Portal Scroll and a Fire Remnant charge.
- As well as the above, Fire Remnants can be used to quickly return to battle after buying back. If a Fire Remnant is placed near a battle and Ember Spirit is killed, buying back and then casting Activate Fire Remnant can allow him to instantly return to a fight, bringing his damage nukes and disables with him to turn the tide for his team.
- helps Ember Spirit sustain during the laning phase, preventing him from being forced to return to base due to enemy harassment.
- also restores health to Ember Spirit.
- may help you survive a gank or lethal attack from tower after killing enemy. It also helps with last hitting.
- is a cheap and effective way to improve Ember Spirit's mana pool and health pool, both of which are lacking in the early game.
- is recommended as it will significantly reduce the enemy's attack harass potential, meaning Ember Spirit is able to sustain longer in lane.
- gives Ember Spirit a way to sustain his HP and mana, allowing him to remain out in the field to farm or fight. It is best purchased if Ember Spirit is played as a mid hero, as he can access runes more easily.
- can mitigate magical damage in fights, also helps with mana regeneration.
- are essential for Ember Spirit, as the improved speed will allow him to escape deadly situations, as well as catch up to an escaping enemy. It also improves his ability to successfully catch an escaping hero with Searing Chains.
- allows Ember Spirit to move around the map to find farm and reach fights and ganks quickly, as his spells make him a force to be reckoned with in any engagement. When combined with Fire Remnant, it allows Ember Spirit to regenerate in fountain and come back quickly.
- give intelligence so Ember Spirit can use abilities more often. The attack speed and agility also add to his damage output.
- gives Ember Spirit high global mobility in conjunction with Fire Remnant, letting him quickly assist in ganks, pushes, and defenses all around the map or heal up at the Fountain before returning to farm near-instantly.
- keeps Ember Spirit's mana topped up and gives cleave damage to Sleight of Fist, making him more dangerous in teamfights and increasing his farming speed. Multiple Battle Furies for more cleave damage can be considered to counter illusion swarms.
- is a cheaper alternative to Battle Fury for giving Sleight of Fist splash damage, and is often more useful for magical builds.
- lets Ember Spirit save his Remnants for escape rather than initiation, letting him easily jump on enemies to deal right-click damage and bind them with Searing Chains.
provides Ember Spirit with great additional damage and a chance to deal 2.2x damage on an attack. It synergizes extremely well with Sleight of Fist, allowing for powerful damage output at a distance.
- Multiple allows Ember Spirit to inflict tremendous amounts of physical damage using Sleight of Fist, potentially resulting in multi-kills against the enemy team if they are clustered together.
- is a must-have item in the face of heavy disables. As he can be killed very quickly if ever stunned or silenced, spell immunity allows Ember Spirit to engage the enemy head-on and ignore their disables while fighting, giving him a bigger damage window before he needs to retreat. As well, it gives him additional strength, increasing the size of his HP pool, as well as more raw damage.
- gives Ember Spirit stats across the board, as well as passive HP and mana regen. The Spell Block passive allows Ember Spirit to shrug off one targeted spell during a fight, hopefully a targeted disable, increasing his slipperiness and allowing him to fight without fear of being disabled.
- gives Ember Spirit a measure of defense against silences, as he can instantly dispel debuffs, especially silence, while also creating two illusions with which to confuse the enemy. The item itself also provides very useful bonuses, giving him all-around stats, more agility and attack speed, and a movement speed bonus that increases his mobility. Finally, as items can be used during Sleight of Fist, combining this item, Sleight of Fist and Searing Chains can allow Ember Spirit to root and place illusions near a target from long range.
- augments nearly every aspect of Fire Remnant, making Ember Spirit amazingly mobile, reducing his mana drain, and giving magical builds more burst damage.
- , gives Ember Spirit all-around stats, shoring up his HP and mana pool as well as giving him increased damage. The bonus movement speed increases his mobility, allowing him to position himself to use his spells more easily.
- is a powerful mid game item for Ember Spirit. With Discord and spell amplification talent, Ember Spirit can deal lots of magical damage with his abilities.
- silence and grants mana for him to keep using abilities. 's movement speed bonus and cyclone helps Ember Spirit catch up to enemies and set up Searing Chains. It also dispels
- can be very powerful in the hands of Ember Spirit, as it grants him evasion while also increasing his physical DPS. The passive evasion decreases his vulnerability against physical damage, while the active can give him more mobility to flee from a fight or chase an enemy down.
- is a powerful late item for magical Ember, which gives him more survivability and increases spells cooldowns. With 25% Cooldown Reduction and +1 sec Searing Chains talents, Ember Spirit can easily catch his opponents.
- can be upgraded from . The Static Charge ability can be used to discourage enemies from attacking Ember Spirit as well, for fear of proccing the discharge. Note that the additional attack speed is not very useful on Ember Spirit as his main source of physical damage is Sleight of Fist.
- increases Ember Spirit's physical DPS, and gives him an additional method with which to initiate on enemies during ganks. As well, if Sleight of Fist is cast during the 0.3 second fade time, Ember Spirit will deal the 175 bonus damage to all slashed targets and remain invisible upon returning to the remnant. However, beware that this tactic does not apply to .
- lets Ember Spirit deal absurd damage with Sleight of Fist. While his natural mobility helps him hold onto the Rapier, it is nevertheless still a very risky purchase.