|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
|Earthshaker is a powerful spellcaster designed to repeatedly stun enemies. However, his naturally low mana requires careful management and selective use, especially during the early game. His Echo Slam allows him to wipe out large groups of enemies, making him an ideal pick against heroes like Chaos Knight, Meepo, Broodmother, or Phantom Lancer. Compared to intelligence supports, Earthshaker has a sizeable health pool. But compared to most strength heroes, Earthshaker is fairly vulnerable and can be easily killed if caught out of position.|
Earthshaker is mostly played as an initiator. In early game, he can set up gank with allies and initiate with Fissure. With the help of Blink Dagger, his role is to jump into enemy clusters and chain stun opponents with Echo Slam > Enchant Totem > Fissure. A fully executed sequence will deal very significant damage, even if no allies are around to follow up. New players may find it hard to farm a quick Blink Dagger, and should thus play conservatively to avoid early game deaths (and therefore gold loss). Once a Blink Dagger has been obtained, Earthshaker is no longer heavily item-dependent, and can transition into buying support items if needed.
Earthshaker can sometimes be played as a brawler, building items like Crystalys to make the tripled damage from Enchant Totem more effective. Players who go this route require significant farm, and therefore often start in the Mid Lane. A Blink Dagger is also recommended for this build. Keep in mind that a brawler Earthshaker must rely on abilities to deal damage in bursts, and should avoid damage in between cooldowns. He will not be able to stand toe-to-toe against a real carry. Players should discuss with their team prior to choosing this build, as most teams expect Earthshaker to be played as an initiator/support.
- This build is good for games where it is highly possible that you will have a better hand in early game fights due to your team's draft. It works well when Earthshaker earns money by taking part in a lot of early kills, earning assists and not dying too often. This is how earthshaker should be played by default
- This build is for core farming Earthshaker. It is based on high damage bonus from Enchant Totem combined with damage bonus from fast Shadow Blade. First, such Earthshaker chooses his target, then activates Enchant Totem, then goes invisible and attacks his victim. If the victim didn't die after that, Earthshaker finishes it off with his other abilities and the second Enchant Totem because its duration is longer that its cooldown. Two Crystalys' will be a good choice for this build.
|-2s Enchant Totem Cooldown||25||+600 Health|
|+350 Fissure Range||20||+40 Echo Damage|
|+50 Damage||15||+20 Movement Speed|
|+250 Mana||10||+10 Strength|
- Upgrading health and mana increases maximum health and mana capacity and keeps the current health and mana percentage.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions, nor does it get increased by Enchant Totem.
Tips & Tactics
- Due to his costly abilities, Earthshaker needs good timing and game sense to be effective.
- In the early game, Earthshaker is very easy to harass in lane. Players should play conservatively except when setting up a gank with his allies.
- At 1500 range, Fissure is one of the longest ranged stuns in the game.
- Use Fissure to block off enemy retreat or reinforcements.
- Earthshaker is exceptional at ganking the mid lane, because at a good angle, Fissure can completely block the enemy midlaner from running back to their tower.
- Keep your finger on the Stop hotkey (
Sby default) to immediately cancel the cast animation if it looks like you're going to miss.
- Fissure creates an impassable ridge and splits two adjacent heroes between the ridge.
- Fissure is useful for separating a fleeing ally from a pursuing enemy. This requires practice, as it is quite common to misclick and wall off both heroes on the same side.
- The impassable terrain is effective in splitting the battlefield during a teamfight. However, improper use of Fissure can prevent melee carries from inflicting damage on or chasing the enemy.
- Fissure's long range can be used to snipe off retreating enemies.
- Fissure has a long cast animation and may be interrupted in a hectic fight.
- Enchant Totem has a very long cast animation and can be interrupted,
- One of Enchant Totem's main roles is to stun enemy with Aftershock. It can be used as a mini-initiation ability with Blink Dagger or its Aghanim's Scepter upgrade.
- Beware of its long cast animation: Enemy may simply walk out of the Aftershock radius.
- Enchant Totem has a very low cooldown, allowing Earthshaker to repeatedly return to the fight during long engagements.
- The Enchant Totem buff lasts 14 seconds, meaning that it should be pre-cast before a fight to maximize Earthshaker's damage.
- Enchant Totem is useful for last hitting buildings. However, if the team's carry is around, Earthshaker should yield the last hit (and therefore extra gold) to them.
- For maximum damage, use Echo Slam around as many enemy units as possible.
- Use the Aftershock stun duration from Echo Slam to follow up with other abilities.
- It is not always best to use Echo Slam to initiate. Experienced players often stay back during fights, waiting until enemies are grouped up before jumping in.
- That said, some team compositions are very dependent on Earthshaker to initiate. Use sensible judgment.
- A well placed Echo Slam is one of the few abilities that can turn around a badly losing game.
- There are certain positions that enemies will natually group up. This includes Roshan pit, the high ground around Tier 3 Towers, narrow paths such as river, places without vision such as uphills, or even at times when they are ganging up on a teammate.
- Tango provides health regeneration in lane.
- Iron Branch gives basic stats and can be built into Magic Wand, also allows more regeneration from Tango.
- Clarity potions allow him to cast Fissure more often, since its mana cost is relatively high and Earthshaker's mana pool is small.
- Animal Courier should be purchased if there are no other supports on the team. However, he may need to sacrifice a few items, such as Gauntlets of Strength, or two Clarities, reducing his lane presence by a big deal.
- Infused Raindrop provides excellent protection against magical harassment, against which Earthshaker normally has no defense.
- Enchanted Mango provides extra health regen, also an extra mana source in a pinch for an extra Fissure.
- Magic Wand can be a good source of health and mana restoration if the enemies use their abilities often, and can even be used in a pinch to get enough mana for his Fissure.
- Arcane Boots are important to compensate for Earthshaker's low mana.
- Power Treads is another good choice for combat-oriented Earthshaker.
- Soul Ring is an alternative source of mana in the early game, allows for liberal use of Fissure.
- Tranquil Boots effectively regenerates the HP loss from Soul Ring.
- Bracer gives a good source of health, attack damage, and mana. It can also be used to chase fleeing enemies to take them down with his Enchant Totem.
- Blink Dagger is an indispensable item for Earthshaker to initiate with Echo Slam. It can also be used to chase fleeing enemies to take them down with his Enchant Totem.
- Force Staff act as a supplement to Earthshaker's mobility, as you can initiate from even further. It can also be used to escape rough situations, especially Power Cogs.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity increases mana pool and mana regeneration. The active adds an additional disable on enemy, also purges silence for a spellcaster as Earthshaker.
- Ghost Scepter can kite enemies and buy yourself time if being constantly focused by physical attackers.
- Glimmer Cape increases Earthshaker's magical resistance. The active can help himself or ally to escape when enemy has no detection.
- Aghanim's Scepter allows Earthshaker to jump into fights with Enchant Totem, giving him even greater mobility. It also provides a good boost to his stats.
- Veil of Discord can give more damage to his own abilities, and any of the allies' abilities that are affected by magic resistance.
- Refresher Orb allows Earthshaker to use his skill one more time in teamfight, providing a theoretical 9 second chain stun in late game than can even bring down the entire team. Note that the first Echo Slam usually clear up the creep wave and summons so the second one won't be as effective if used immediately.
- Lotus Orb gives you additional armor and regen. The active can purge debuff (especially silence) from you or your ally, also reflect all targeted spells.
- Scythe of Vyse offers a hard disable which is useful in late game.
- Daedalus increases damage output from Enchant Totem with raw damage and critical chance. It is an unorthodox build and favored by more combat-oriented Earthshaker builds.
- Boots of Travel is sometimes picked up during the late game.