The Dota Major Championships are four annual tournaments sponsored by Valve. It consists of fall, winter, spring events, while The International takes the place of the summer event.
In order to qualify for the Dota Major Championships, professional teams must adhere to a set of rules that limit roster changes. This system was designed to create a stabler competitive scene by restricting frequent player trading. Detailed rules and team management can be found on the registration page.
The roster lockout date for Fall 2015 is September 5th, 2015, at 12:00AM PDT.
- In order to participate in a Majors tournament, players must be locked into a team.
- Locked players cannot leave the team, or be kicked.
- If any locked player leaves the team after the roster lock date, that team will not be eligible to receive direct invites or compete in the regional qualifiers of next Majors tournament.
- Ineligible teams can still attempt to qualify through the open qualifiers.
- Players are unlocked at the end of each Majors tournament, and must be re-invited again.
While The International has been held since 2011, the Dota Major Championships were first announced in 2015.