Dota 2 Wiki:Discussion
The Future of German Wiki
The German wiki is completely outdated and nobody has the time to update it. It also seems to get very little views (most German readers come to the English page?) Should it be removed like the other language wikis? - Lemoncake(talk) 19:52, 4 February 2018 (UTC)
- Would be very sad for all the past contributors but if it's hard to maintain then there's no other way. Btw, does "like the other language wikis" mean that there are plans to close other sub-wikis? - Lemurvladimir(talk) 00:26, 5 February 2018 (GMT+3)
- No, it's refering to the other 20 languages we had, before reducing them to english chinese, russian, portoguese and german. There was arabic, english, czech, danish, german, greek, spanish, finnish, french, hungarian, italian, japanese, korean, dutch, norwegian, polish, portoguese, brazil-portoguese, romanian, russian, swedish, turkish, thai, vietnamese, simplified chinese and traditional chinese. All but english, russian, chinese (one of them), german and brazilian got removed, simply because no one really updated them and lack of traffic. German was kept only because we have some german mods.
Currently when linking files through the sm2 tags, they show up in Special:UnusedFiles. What do you think about using a template instead of the raw sm2 tags that adds a hidden link behind the play button? This would mark the files as used and only slightly impact page load times (Abaddon/Responses loaded about .2 seconds slower with such a template).--Litzsch 16:01, 27 February 2018 (UTC)
- Are you sure? The response pages are already super slow to load for me... although it seems to be quicker when i'm not logged in - Lemoncake(talk) 16:11, 27 February 2018 (UTC)
- I just tested it again and User:Litzsch/Sandbox1 takes
1858.967msto load compared to Abaddon/Responses taking
1575.187ms. You can test it yourself by going to the page-source and searching for "NewPP". The values tend to change a bit each time but the difference doesn't seem to be too big. How is the performance of User:Litzsch/Sandbox1 for you? --Litzsch 16:21, 27 February 2018 (UTC)
- I just tested it again and User:Litzsch/Sandbox1 takes
- Hmm it also takes ages to load in Safari. Probably not a good idea then if some browsers have problems with it. I'll try asking the extension developer if something like that can be added to the extension itself.--Litzsch 17:04, 27 February 2018 (UTC)
Question about making a personal page to utilize formatting
Hi! I can't login (my account is otherwise called Lenient) and if I could, I would. But it keeps asking me to merge with Twitch over and over and when I finally did, it still doesn't let me log in. Anyway, onto my question.
Would it be allowed if I made my own page for a hero concept I have? If so, is it possible to hide it from public view? I'm not super familiar with the functionalities. It would also be good if only I could edit it as well. Or does someone have a suggestion for another place I could visualize my concept with the wiki's formatting, perhaps some sort of offline, local script I could use myself? Thanks in advance. I don't know why this is at the bottom, I would be glad if someone could rectify. — The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) • (contribs) • Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- You will have to log into an account or your edits will be blocked by the abuse filter. Otherwise, you can make a custom hero page at User:YourAccountName/Heroname - Lemoncake(talk) 00:53, 7 March 2018 (UTC)
Data access for academic research?
I'm an assistant professor of Information Science at the University of Colorado Boulder. My research examines how wiki editors engage in "high tempo collaboration" and I'm interested in studying how player communities like this collaborate to document and distribute information after a new patch is released. I haven't been able to use the MediaWiki API to retrieve information about articles' revision histories. I wanted to know if it would be possible to enable or document how to get this API access, whether a database dump could be generated for research purposes, and/or if you collect any pageviews data. Feel free to contact me at brian [dot] keegan [at] colorado [dot] edu and I hope we can collaborate on this research! Madcoverboy (talk) 14:35, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
- The API is available under
https://dota2.gamepedia.com/api.php?action=query&prop=revisions&titles=Dota%202%20Wiki:Discussion&rvlimit=500to get the history of this page). See here for more information. --Litzsch 14:46, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
- TBH this may be the worst wiki ever to collect such information. Almost everything here is done by 5 or so regulars. - Lemoncake(talk) 02:37, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
What are your opinions on enabling Extension:Thanks? It might encourage some more contributions if we have an easy way to thank other (especially newer) editors, and show them that we appreciate their help around the wiki. --Litzsch 20:16, 8 April 2018 (UTC)
Category for Dota 2 original heroes?
- I agree, some information about a hero's release could be useful information on the hero pages. Maybe we could add it to Template:Hero bio (and possibly set an automatic category)? --Litzsch 10:07, 16 April 2018 (UTC)
Hey is there any way we can implement the hover link preview feature wikipedia has? — The preceding unsigned comment was added by Gilgamalice (talk) • (contribs) 24 April 2018 • Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- If you mean the popups provided by Extension:Popups, then I don't think it's possible (yet). It's a beta feature even on Wikipedia and is not one of the approved extensions for Gamepedia wikis. You could try requesting it on the admin noticeboard and they might add it if there's support from others. --Litzsch 07:45, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
- Extension:Popups is in Curse's queue to be vetted for security and compatibility. Should it pass we could activate it here on the wiki. I personally don't really see a need for it though. --Litzsch 15:51, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
It's good, but I donno how it would work on our wiki, on cosmetics and other such pages. Medok 17:33, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
- The extension uses TextExtracts, so you can test what text would be shown using the api (e.g. https://dota2.gamepedia.com/api.php?action=query&prop=extracts&exintro=true&explaintext=true&titles=Bladeform_Legacy, https://dota2.gamepedia.com/api.php?action=query&prop=extracts&exintro=true&explaintext=true&titles=Wyvernguard_Edge, …). --Litzsch 18:22, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
- I don't think Wikipedia would use it if it was very performance heavy, but I'm not sure. I'll try to find some information. --Litzsch 15:31, 12 June 2018 (UTC)
- I can't find any information on performance in the documentation :( --Litzsch 16:02, 12 June 2018 (UTC)
Question for a public view tab
Dear Gamepedia Team!
I am not good at editing and so far, I haven´t edited any side on Gamepedia. But I have an idea, which i just want to double check with you: On the International 2018 side, is it possible to create another tab for public viewing? Cause we are streaming the final of The International the fourth year in a row and people are always exited on this event. To inform more fans, it would be great if they just could look on Gamepedia which event they could attend, maybe categorized in countries. There is always a official side for this too, but its always late and not everyone knows about this. With Gamepedia, more fans could be reached. Whats your opinion on this?
- If you (or someone else) are willing to compile and maintain it, we could add a page and help you with it imo. If you just want to publish information on your own event, you can always create an account and make a page in your userspace (e.g. User:someUserName/myEvent). --Litzsch 13:37, 15 June 2018 (UTC)
Lua errors on some pages
https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Ancient_Apparition#Chilling_Touch and https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Buildings#Towers — The preceding unsigned comment was added by Nvmd (talk) • (contribs) 9 July 2018 • Please sign your posts with ~~~~