Dota 2 Reborn
Dota 2 Reborn is an overhaul to the Dota 2 game system. It adds the custom games function, a new game interface, improved social and DotaTV features, as well as transitioning the game to the Source 2 engine.
Open beta testing for Dota 2 Reborn started on June 17, 2015. Dota 2 Reborn was released with the September 09, 2015 Patch.
- Added support for custom games.
- Custom games can be joined through the lobby, or through the automatic matching system.
- Supports community voting.
- Supports highlighting for popular, favorites, and suggested games.
- Supports regular spectating.
Dota 2 Workshop Tools
- Allows the community to design custom maps and game modes.
- Includes model editor.
- Includes materials editor (textures and shading)
- Includes particles editor.
- Supports Hammer tile editor.
- Supports Panorama for UI development.
- Supports Lua scripting.
- Renovated dashboard.
- Added new default loading screen.
- Public lobby games can now be seen and joined by all players.
- Added individual hero statistics, including hero-specific matchmaking ratings.
- Added playstyle graph.
- Added filtering for Melee and Ranged.
- Added tiered filtering for Carries and Supports.
- Added Demo Hero function:
- In-game sandbox to practice last hitting and hero abilities.
- Allows players to preview all cosmetic items.
- Added party voice chat outside of games.
- Added party management function.
- Added party beacon function, allowing players to display their status.
- Added miniprofile for Steam friends.
- Added activity feed for Steam friends.
- Added in-game whispering function.
- Added multiple conversations function.
- Increased chat room sizes from 1,000 to 5,000.
- Added tournament matches and friends' matches to the list of ongoing games.
- Added detailed statistics and minimap preview of ongoing games.
- Added 1080px streaming.
- Added in-game statistics and graphs.
- Added in-game access to third-party streaming.
- Added bookmark function to replays.
- Added highlighting for popular replays and friends' replays.
- Added replay sharing and discussion functions.
- Added Guided Bot Matches.
- In-game captioning guides newer players with tips and advice.
- Removed several old tutorial missions.
- Removed the World Map.
Source 2 Engine
- Lower latency and more responsive input.
- Added tiled map system, allowing players to play together while using different custom map terrains.
- Increased performance limit to take advantage of higher end hardware.
- Improved streaming capabilities.
- Improved audio and voice processing.
- Improved rendering capabilities.
- Added new physics and cloth simulation engines.
- Added native support for OpenGL.
- Added Mac and Linux clients.
- Game map has been slightly changed.
- Added new music.
- Improved networking.
- New network backbone.
- Improved connections.
- DDOS protection.
- Source filmmaker.
- Direct integration with workshop tools.
- Added replay editing.