Disjointing is the act of dodging projectiles, or rather, to cause a projectile to fully lose track of its target. A disjoint is recognized when a projectile stops tracking a moving unit. Causing a projectile to run out (expire) before hitting the target does not count as disjointing in that sense, but rather avoiding the projectile by "outrunning" it.
Disjointing itself is not granted explicitly by any effects or spells, it is instead granted as a secondary effect to other abilities.
The most common forms of disjointing are blinking and becoming invisible. Although invulnerability and hiding causes projectiles to not affect the target, they do not disjoint, since the projectile still homes and technically hits the target. Not all projectiles can be disjointed, and not all types of repositioning abilities can disjoint.
These abilities disjoint projectiles once upon cast. The disjointing is not connected to the Forced Movement of some of the listed spells, but rather to the spells themselves. Other spells that use Forced Movement do not disjoint.
- Alchemist – Chemical Rage
- Brewmaster – Primal Split
- Chaos Knight – Phantasm
- Lifestealer – Assimilate
- Lifestealer – Infest
- Manta Style – Mirror Image
- Morphling – Waveform
- Naga Siren – Mirror Image
- Phantom Lancer – Doppelganger1
- Phoenix – Supernova2
- Puck – Phase Shift
- Riki – Tricks of the Trade
- Storm Spirit – Ball Lightning
2 Disjoints for Phoenix and the allied hero put inside (when upgraded).
- Anti-Mage – Blink
- Blink Dagger – Blink
- Boots of Travel – Teleport
- Chen – Holy Persuasion
- Io – Relocate1
- Keeper of the Light – Recall
- Nature's Prophet – Teleportation
- Morphling – Morph Replicate
- Puck – Ethereal Jaunt
- Queen of Pain – Blink
- Spirit Bear – Return
- Town Portal Scroll – Teleport
- Underlord – Dark Rift
- Weaver – Time Lapse
1 Only disjoints for Io upon teleporting to the targeted point. Does not disjoint for allies or upon teleporting back.
The following teleport abilities do not disjoint projectiles:
All abilities that grant invisibility can disjoint projectiles, unless the enemy has True Sight over the unit, in which case the projectile still keeps track of the target until it is no longer affected by True Sight. A unit does not need to be invisible as the projectile reaches it, in order to disjoint with invisibility; momentary invisibility during the projectile's flight suffices. Being out of vision range (i.e., entering the Fog of War) does not count as invisibility, for purposes of disjointing.
The following abilities disjoint projectiles if no True Sight is present:
- Bounty Hunter – Shadow Walk
- Clinkz – Skeleton Walk
- Glimmer Cape – Glimmer
- Invisibility Rune – Invisibility
- Invoker – Ghost Walk
- Lycan Wolf – Invisibility
- Mirana – Moonlight Shadow
- Nyx Assassin – Vendetta
- Nyx Assassin – Burrow
- Riki – Cloak and Dagger
- Sand King – Sand Storm
- Shadow Amulet – Fade
- Shadow Blade – Shadow Walk
- Silver Edge – Shadow Walk
- Slark – Shadow Dance1
- Smoke of Deceit – Disguise1
- Storm – Wind Walk
- Templar Assassin – Meld
- Treant Protector – Nature's Guise
- Weaver – Shukuchi
1 Cannot be revealed with True Sight, so disjoints projectiles even while affected by True Sight.
Becoming temporarily hidden does not disjoint projectiles. The disjointing attribute is not bound to turning hidden, but rather bound to the spells themselves. This means hiding spells not necessarily disjoint projectiles, however, with the proper timing, they can prevent projectiles, or spells in general from hitting the caster or target.
Becoming invulnerable does not disjoint projectiles, but rather reduces or eliminates the effects upon impact. Attack damage as well as spell damage are ignored. There are a few spells that affect invulnerable units.
All physical attack projectiles of each unit and hero can be disjointed. This includes all attack modifiers (e.g. Frost Arrows, Liquid Fire), enhanced attacks (e.g. Meld, attacks with True Strike) and the secondary attack projectiles from instant attacks (e.g. Flak Cannon, Geminate Attack).
Disjointing the bounces from Moon Glaives and Death Ward does not stop the projectile from continuing to bounce. They also can immediately jump on the disjointing unit again (when not disjointed with invisibility and still within bounce range), since it is not considered as a hit and thus still a valid target for the bounces. A disjointed bounce still counts towards their bounce count.
The projectiles of the following abilities are disjointable:
- Abaddon – Mist Coil1
- Bounty Hunter – Shuriken Toss2
- Brewmaster – Drunken Haze
- Bristleback – Viscous Nasal Goo
- Broodmother – Spawn Spiderlings
- Chaos Knight – Chaos Bolt
- Chen – Penitence3
- Clinkz – Searing Arrows8
- Dark Troll Summoner – Ensnare
- Dark Willow – Bedlam
- Dark Willow – Shadow Realm
- Dazzle – Poison Touch
- Dragon Knight – Dragon Tail4
- Drow Ranger – Frost Arrows8
- Earth – Hurl Boulder
- Earthshaker – Echo Slam
- Enchantress – Impetus8
- Ethereal Blade – Ether Blast
- Gyrocopter – Flak Cannon
- Jakiro – Liquid Fire8
- Morphling – Adaptive Strike (Agility)
- Morphling – Adaptive Strike (Strength)
- Mud Golem – Hurl Boulder
- Naga Siren – Ensnare
- Nullifier – Nullify
- Ogre Magi – Ignite5
- Oracle – Fortune's End1, 5
- Outworld Devourer – Arcane Orb8
- Phantom Assassin – Stifling Dagger
- Phantom Lancer – Spirit Lance2
- Queen of Pain – Shadow Strike
- Rod of Atos – Cripple
- Shard Golem – Hurl Boulder
- Silencer – Glaives of Wisdom8
- Skywrath Mage – Concussive Shot5
- Sniper – Assassinate6
- Sniper – Headshot8
- Storm – Drunken Haze
- Sven – Storm Hammer7
- Templar Assassin – Meld8
- Tidehunter – Gush
- Tinker – Heat-Seeking Missile
- Tiny – Tree Throw
- Vengeful Spirit – Magic Missile
- Viper – Viper Strike
- Viper – Poison Attack8
- Visage – Soul Assumption
- Windranger – Shackleshot
- Winter Wyvern – Splinter Blast7
- Wraith King – Wraithfire Blast
3 Penitence's projectile serves no purpose. It merely plays a sound effect and creates the glyphic symbols below the target upon reaching it.
5 Disjointing projectiles which apply an area effect also prevents them from applying their area effect.
6 Assassinate provides True Sight over the target as Sniper begins casting, which lasts for 4 seconds, until the projectile lands, or the cast gets canceled. So it usually cannot be disjointed with invisibility, except with Shadow Dance or Smoke of Deceit.
7 The secondary projectiles of Splinter Blast can be disjointed. However, the initial projectile cannot.
8 Applies a modifier to the heroes normal attack and can thus be disjointed like a regular attack.
The following abilities are not disjointable, which means that attempting to disjoint those abilities does not cause their projectiles to lose track of the target. When their target turns invisible, they are still fully affected.
- Alchemist – Unstable Concoction Throw
- Arc Warden – Spark Wraith
- Gyrocopter – Homing Missile
- Huskar – Life Break1
- Lich – Chain Frost
- Medusa – Mystic Snake
- Mirana – Starstorm
- Necrophos – Death Pulse
- Queen of Pain – Scream of Pain
- Rubick – Spell Steal
- Skywrath Mage – Arcane Bolt
- Sniper – Assassinate
- Spectre – Spectral Dagger
- Tiny – Toss2
- Treant Protector – Leech Seed
- Tusk – Snowball3
- Winter Wyvern – Splinter Blast4
- Witch Doctor – Paralyzing Cask
1 Huskar acts as a projectile. Though he cannot be disjointed, the spell gets immediately canceled when the distance between Huskar and the target gets greater than 1450.
2 The Tossed unit can be avoided by blinking or moving rapidly, but cannot technically be disjointed. In order to avoid the tossed unit, upon cast of Toss, the minimum required distance to avoid it is 4000, decreasing by 307.69 for each 0.1 seconds of Toss' duration.
3 The Snowball can be avoided by moving far enough, since it travels for a maximum of 3 seconds.
4 The initial projectile of Splinter Blast cannot be disjointed.
- The following abilities no longer disjoint projectiles: Borrowed Time, True Form, Pounce, Metamorphosis and Leap.
- The following abilities now disjoint projectiles: Test of Faith (Teleport), Recall and Morph Replicate.
- The following projectiles are now disjointable: Splinter Blast secondary hit and Soul Assumption.