Disjointing is the act of dodging projectiles, or rather, to cause a projectile to fully lose track of its target. A disjoint is recognized when a projectile stops tracking a moving unit. Causing a projectile to run out (expire) before hitting the target does not count as disjointing in that sense, but rather avoiding the projectile by "outrunning" it.
Disjointing itself is not granted explicitly by any effects or spells, it is instead granted as a secondary effect to other abilities.
The most common forms of disjointing are blinking and becoming invisible. Although invulnerability and hiding causes projectiles to not affect the target, they do not disjoint, since the projectile still homes and technically hits the target. Not all projectiles can be disjointed, and not all types of repositioning abilities can disjoint.
These abilities disjoint projectiles once upon cast. The disjointing is not connected to the Forced Movement of some of the listed spells, but rather to the spells themselves. Other spells that use Forced Movement do not disjoint.
1 Disjoints all projectiles while the buff is active. Unlike single instance disjoints, Strafe disjoints as the projectiles reach their target.
2 Disjoints forand the allied hero put inside (when upgraded).
- Anti-Mage – Blink
- Blink Dagger – Blink
- Boots of Travel – Teleport
- Chen – Holy Persuasion
- Io – Relocate1
- Nature's Prophet – Teleportation
- Phantom Lancer – Doppelganger2
- Puck – Ethereal Jaunt
- Queen of Pain – Blink
- Spirit Bear – Return
- Town Portal Scroll – Teleport
- Underlord – Dark Rift
- Weaver – Time Lapse
1 Only disjoints for Io upon teleporting to the targeted point. Does not disjoint for allies or upon teleporting back.
2 Disjoints for illusions.and all gathered
The following teleport abilities do not disjoint projectiles:
All abilities that grant invisibility can disjoint projectiles, unless the enemy has True Sight over the unit, in which case the projectile still keeps track of the target until it is no longer affected by True Sight. A unit does not need to be invisible as the projectile reaches it, in order to disjoint with invisibility; momentary invisibility during the projectile's flight suffices, although the projectile resumes tracking the target visually, if it becomes visible again. Being out of vision range (i.e., entering the Fog of War) does not count as invisibility, for purposes of disjointing.
The following abilities disjoint projectiles if no True Sight is present:
- Bounty Hunter – Shadow Walk
- Clinkz – Skeleton Walk
- Glimmer Cape – Glimmer
- Invisibility Rune – Invisibility
- Invoker – Ghost Walk
- Lycan Wolf – Invisibility
- Mirana – Moonlight Shadow
- Nyx Assassin – Vendetta
- Nyx Assassin – Burrow
- Riki – Cloak and Dagger
- Sand King – Sand Storm
- Shadow Amulet – Fade
- Shadow Blade – Shadow Walk
- Silver Edge – Shadow Walk
- Slark – Shadow Dance1
- Smoke of Deceit – Disguise1
- Storm – Wind Walk
- Templar Assassin – Meld
- Weaver – Shukuchi
1 Cannot be revealed with True Sight, so disjoints projectiles even while affected by True Sight.
Becoming temporarily hidden does not disjoint projectiles. The disjointing attribute is not bound to turning hidden, but rather bound to the spells themselves. This means hiding spells not necessarily disjoint projectiles, however, with the proper timing, they can prevent projectiles, or spells in general from hitting the caster or target.
Becoming invulnerable does not disjoint projectiles, but rather reduces or eliminates the effects upon impact. Attack damage as well as spell damage are ignored. There are a few spells that affect invulnerable units.
All physical attack projectiles of each unit and hero can be disjointed. This includes all attack modifiers (e.g. , ), enhanced attacks (e.g. , attacks with True Strike) and the secondary attack projectiles from instant attacks (e.g. , ).
Disjointing the bounces from invisibility and still within bounce range), since it is not considered as a hit and thus still a valid target for the bounces. A disjointed bounce still counts towards their bounce count.and does not stop the projectile from continuing to bounce. They also can immediately jump on the disjointing unit again (when not disjointed with
The projectiles of the following abilities are disjointable:
- Abaddon – Mist Coil1
- Ancient Apparition – Chilling Touch
- Bounty Hunter – Shuriken Toss2
- Bristleback – Viscous Nasal Goo
- Broodmother – Spawn Spiderlings
- Chaos Knight – Chaos Bolt
- Chen – Penitence
- Clinkz – Searing Arrows7
- Clumsy Net – Ensnare
- Dark Troll Summoner – Ensnare
- Dark Willow – Bedlam
- Dark Willow – Shadow Realm7
- Dazzle – Poison Touch
- Dragon Knight – Dragon Tail3
- Drow Ranger – Frost Arrows7
- Drow Ranger – Marksmanship
- Earth – Hurl Boulder
- Enchantress – Impetus7
- Ethereal Blade – Ether Blast
- Gyrocopter – Flak Cannon
- Gyrocopter – Side Gunner
- Jakiro – Liquid Fire7
- Medusa – Split Shot
- Morphling – Adaptive Strike (Agility)
- Morphling – Adaptive Strike (Strength)
- Mud Golem – Hurl Boulder
- Naga Siren – Ensnare
- Nullifier – Nullify
- Ogre Magi – Ignite4
- Outworld Devourer – Arcane Orb7
- Phantom Assassin – Stifling Dagger
- Phantom Lancer – Spirit Lance2
- Queen of Pain – Shadow Strike
- Rod of Atos – Cripple
- Shard Golem – Hurl Boulder
- Silencer – Glaives of Wisdom7
- Skywrath Mage – Concussive Shot4
- Sniper – Assassinate5
- Sven – Storm Hammer4
- Templar Assassin – Meld7
- Tidehunter – Gush
- Tinker – Heat-Seeking Missile
- Tiny – Tree Throw
- Vengeful Spirit – Magic Missile
- Viper – Poison Attack7
- Viper – Viper Strike
- Visage – Soul Assumption
- Weaver – Geminate Attack
- Windranger – Shackleshot
- Winter Wyvern – Splinter Blast6
- Wraith King – Wraithfire Blast
1 Ether Blast can also be disjointed by targeted allies.and
2 Disjointingand an upgraded causes them to stop bouncing.
3 Althoughitself is instant, while in it uses a projectile which can be disjointed.
4 Disjointing projectiles which apply an area effect also prevents them from applying their area effect.
5 True Sight over the target as Sniper begins casting, which lasts for 4 seconds, until the projectile lands, or the cast gets canceled. So it usually cannot be disjointed with invisibility, except with or .provides
6 The secondary projectiles ofcan be disjointed. However, the initial projectile cannot.
7 Applies a modifier to the heroes normal attack and can thus be disjointed like a regular attack.
The following abilities are not disjointable, which means that attempting to disjoint those abilities does not cause their projectiles to lose track of the target. When their target turns invisible, they are still fully affected.
- Alchemist/Unstable Concoction Throw – Unstable Concoction Throw
- Arc Warden – Spark Wraith
- Earthshaker – Echo Slam
- Grimstroke – Phantom's Embrace1
- Gyrocopter – Homing Missile
- Huskar – Life Break2
- Lich – Chain Frost
- Medusa – Mystic Snake3
- Mirana – Starstorm
- Necrophos – Death Pulse
- Oracle – Fortune's End
- Queen of Pain – Scream of Pain
- Rubick – Spell Steal
- Skywrath Mage – Arcane Bolt
- Snapfire – Firesnap Cookie
- Spectre – Spectral Dagger
- Tempest Double – Spark Wraith
- Tiny – Toss4
- Treant Protector – Leech Seed
- Tusk – Snowball5
- Witch Doctor – Paralyzing Cask
1 Cannot be disjointed by its targets. Can be disjointed when returning to Grimstroke, resulting in the cooldown not being reset.
2acts as a projectile. Though he cannot be disjointed, the spell gets immediately canceled when the distance between Huskar and the target gets greater than 1450.
3 Although not disjointable,does not affect the target when it turns invisible before hit.
4 Theed unit can be avoided by blinking or moving rapidly, but cannot technically be disjointed. In order to avoid the tossed unit, upon cast of Toss, the minimum required distance to avoid it is 4000, decreasing by 307.69 for each 0.1 seconds of Toss' duration.
5 Thecan be avoided by moving far enough, since it travels for a maximum of 3 seconds.
- The following abilities no longer disjoint projectiles: , , , and .
- The following abilities now disjoint projectiles: , and .
- The following projectiles are now disjointable: secondary hit and .