There are many differences between the Dire side of the game map and the Radiant side:
- rune spawn location, while the Dire bank curves around it. Before 7.00 revamp, Roshan was located on the Dire side, near the bottom rune spawn location. 's pit in the river is closer to the Radiant bank, near the top
- Dire's bottom lane has no convenient way to pull.
- It is impossible to block 2 jungle camps with 1 ward in the Dire jungle.
- The Dire is one of the Nemesis Stones, a force diametrically opposed to the Radiant.
- The Dire is known to Zet as Diruulth. He originally kept the Dire and Radiant in check, but lost control after the Mad Moon was destroyed.
- The Dire spreads corruption.
- The light of the sun and the moon counter the Dire's influences.
- Earthshaker is opposed to the Dire, wielding a light-absorbing totem to banish its corruption.
- Direstone was used in creating the .
- The DotA equivalent of the Dire was the Scourge.
- In DotA, heroes were affiliated into the Scourge and Sentinel factions. This division was seen in the older picking screen.
- In DotA when playing the Normal game mode (also called "Pick Mode"), players could only pick Scourge heroes while on the Scourge team, and vice versa. This game mode is not present in Dota 2.