Audio migration in progress. Some responses pages / audio files may have broken file links.
- 's stun is useful for cancelling Freezing Field from a distance.
- can be used for revealing Crystal Maiden when she uses .
- does burst physical damage (which is even bigger if dealt under 's crits), which is effective due to Crystal Maiden's low HP and armor.
- Bounty Hunter likes to stay hidden from the fight and is less likely to get caught by Crystal Maiden's spells.
- can hinder Crystal Maiden's already abysmal mobility, which allows Bristleback (or his teammates) to run her down and kill her.
- Bristleback frequently builds , which can quickly kill Crystal Maiden if her ultimate is used while he is under its effect.
- The passive part of will trigger many, many times under the damage from Freezing Field, and as the stacks increase, the damage output from each successive cast (or proc) will eat away at Crystal Maiden's small HP pool.
- invisibility should Crystal Maiden use . , , and can interrupt Freezing Field, the latter two being able to go through
- can be used to find Crystal Maiden should she try to hide in the trees to try to safely cast Freezing Field.
- allows to easily close in on Crystal Maiden and kill her.
- Doom alone can easily pick off Crystal Maiden since she is fairly fragile, even with using only basic attacks, , and .
- prevents her from using any abilities in a fight, making her impact negligible.
- allows Doom to acquire a stun, allowing him to cancel Freezing Field without having to use .
- and allow to easily disrupt Freezing Field, regardless of where Crystal Maiden is due to their incredible range. is quite possibly the best hero for stopping long channeling abilities, and Crystal Maiden is vulnerable to him without a .
- All of Earth Spirit's spells allow him to easily close in on Crystal Maiden and kill her. Since she is a low health support, she generally stays behind in teamfights, but Earth Spirit can easily close the distance.
- Crystal Maiden has low movement speed and no other escape mechanism, rendering her extremely vulnerable to Earth Spirit's arsenal of long-range, damaging spells.
- is a great initiation to target Crystal Maiden with, as it prevents her from using Freezing Field or any other abilities and allowing the enemy team to quickly kill her before she can aid her team in a fight.
- can dispel Frostbite.
- invisibility as well as allow Naga Siren's team to quickly close the gap on Crystal Maiden. can stop Freezing Field regardless of any kind of
- Crystal Maiden has a very bad movement speed, so is easy to land against her. Furthermore, even while trapped by Frostbite, Nyx Assassin can still cast Impale.
- Crystal Maiden has very low armor, so is very effective.
- Nyx Assassin has two ways to stop Freezing Field, provided she doesn't get a . He can pop and simply walk into the field, or he can use to interrupt the field, since Crystal Maiden has to channel it.
- can make Crystal Maiden's already weak armor even weaker.
- can dispel Frostbite, preventing him from getting stuck inside Freezing Field.
- is very useful for interrupting Freezing Field, even while Crystal Maiden is under the effects of . Crystal Maiden must purchase a , which is far more costly.
- allows Tusk to easily cancel Freezing Field from a safe distance without putting himself in any danger.
- is most certainly a high enough damage nuke to easily kill off Crystal Maiden.
- can prevent the already immobile Crystal Maiden from escaping, making her an easy kill for either Tusk or a teammate.
- will make Crystal Maiden's bad movement speed even worse.
- charges can easily be stacked up from Freezing Field, allowing Visage to nuke enemies multiple times throughout the fight.
- 's can also be used to interrupt Freezing Field, even while Crystal Maiden is under the effects of . Crystal Maiden must purchase a , which is far more costly.
- and have abilities ( and respectively) that prevent Crystal Maiden from using her spells on them in the early game, before and other magical reduction is even an issue.
- In general, heroes with AoE or long range disables (such as with , with and with ) hinder Crystal Maiden, preventing her from using Freezing Field to help her team in a fight.
- In the same vein, heroes with silences — especially with the AoE ones like 's — can also prevent Crystal Maiden from being able to impact a fight.
- Heroes with large health pools ( ) or good innate magic resistance ( ) can be very problematic for Crystal Maiden, since even if they are under the effect of her ultimate for the entire duration, the damage output is simply not enough to kill or force them to retreat.
- Heroes who can easily harass Crystal Maiden out of lane in the early game ( , ) can prevent Crystal Maiden from being able to level effectively, and can ultimately slow down her level 6, 12, and 18 to a point where enemy carries already have items to address her ultimate.
- and other sources of magical immunity/reduction make Crystal Maiden nearly irrelevant, preventing her from using her abilities or Freezing Field from dealing its damage or slow. These items make it easy for enemy heroes to kill her off quickly — even in her ultimate.
- and other sources of bash are very problematic for Crystal Maiden, because even if she owns a , the stun will pierce it and cancel her ultimate.
- and are an issue for Crystal Maiden in the same way that they are for any spell based hero: if she can't use her abilities due to a silence, her fight impact is greatly reduced.
- reflects Freezing Field, doing incredible damage to Crystal Maiden when she uses her ultimate. Due to her low health pool, this can quickly spell her doom, so heroes who build Blade Mail (like , , or ) can be incredibly problematic.
- , much in the same vein as , provides damage reflection that can turn the massive damage of Freezing Field against the fragile Crystal Maiden. In addition, the True Sight of the Necronomicon Warrior at level 3 can render the early-game purchase of a or useless.
- Though Slark's large damage output is most certainly a concern for the squishy Crystal Maiden, she does perform fairly well against him when coupled with aid from her team.
- Slark has no innate way to cancel Freezing Field, but the common purchase of does make Slark a substantially greater threat to Crystal Maiden as the game progresses.
- Freezing Field can still hit Slark while he is under the effect of , and for the early and mid game, the damage output of Crystal Maiden's ultimate outscales Slark's passive regeneration, making a quick use of Freezing Field as soon as Slark uses a great way to combat him.
- Crystal Maiden's Frostbite and Crystal Nova are helpful in disabling and slowing the slippery Slark so he can be killed by her teammates.
- Though certainly not a "hard counter", Crystal Maiden's skillset (magical damage nukes) does pose a substantial threat to Phantom Assassin through the mid game, especially if followed up with engagement by her team.
- A quick use of Freezing Field directly after can leave Phantom Assassin trapped inside the area of effect, capitalizing on Phantom Assassin's relatively low HP pool when she is not protected by .
- If Phantom Assassin chooses not to buy a relatively early, the attack slow from Freezing Field can greatly hinder the proc chance of in a teamfight.
- However, Phantom Assassin's massive damage, and her tendency to build both and makes her a formidable foe the later the game goes, and fighting her without a team is almost never a good choice.
- As with other heroes mentioned in this section, Templar Assassin is not a hero that is fully "countered" by Crystal Maiden (the way she is against and ), however, the proper combination and execution Crystal Maiden's spells, stacked with her team, can most certainly spell the end for Templar Assassin.
- Frostbite can quickly eat away charges, leaving Templar Assassin vulnerable for the rest of her team to kill.
- Freezing Field will still apply damage to Templar Assassin when she is under the effect of , making it an even less viable form of escape until a is purchased.
- is also cancelled by all of Crystal Maiden's spells, and the fairly short cooldowns on Frostbite and Crystal Nova make her a great asset to a chase against Templar Assassin.
- This is not to say that Templar Assassin has any difficulty killing off the low armor, low HP pool Crystal Maiden, so fighting her alone is never advised.
- Heroes with mobility spells like , , , , and that are cancelled by Frostbite can suffer greatly from the presence of Crystal Maiden. It is absolutely critical, however, to have followup from teammates, as all of the above heroes can make quick work of the squishy Crystal Maiden after they are released from her grip.
- Frostbite will reveal invisible heroes for its duration, making it a good tool against any such hero ( , , , or for example), or as a soft counter to , if it is used first. This can be an amazing tool to ensure that is used on the unit in question, and not wasted in not catching anything.
- Freezing Field will still hit and slow units that are hidden by invisibility, so it can be an excellent way to prevent a slippery heroes from escaping death.
- Heroes like and , or heroes that make use of are weak to Crystal Maiden, as Frostbite can do wonders against , , or dominated creeps. Careful though, as an army of carefully controlled creeps ( and ) can hold many stuns that will cancel Freezing Field.
- Heroes the make heavy use of illusions, like , , or can suffer from Crystal Maiden, as Freezing Field can quickly kill off the entire horde if not stopped.
Works well with...
- Frostbite provides the perfect setup for , a deadly combo as early as level 1. Later, it can be followed by Crystal Nova to provide an additional slow and ensure the full damage of Blade Fury.
- Arcane Aura provides much needed mana regen for Juggernaut as all his spells cost a considerable amount of mana. It allows him to repeat the combo Frostbite + Blade fury at any opportunity in the lane, while staying healthy thanks to . The aura stays relevant well into the late game.
- Frostbite provides great set up for Timbersaw's many abilities in all phases of the game, allowing him to place directly on top of an enemy hero, then following up with the rest of his combo.
- Though Timbersaw is forced to build extensive mana regeneration in order to fuel , the addition of Arcane Aura is very useful in the early game, allowing Timbersaw to always have available for escape or initiation.
- Freezing Field stacks very well with the slow from Timbersaw's , and Timbersaw's excellent mobility allows him to easily chase down heroes who escaped from the full damage of Freezing Field.
- Arcane Aura helps significantly with Sven's pitiful starting mana regeneration, allowing him to more freely use and in lane, and well into the middle and later game.
- layered well with Frostbite in lane is a quick and easy way to ensure a kill, and if Crystal Nova and are added, it allows for insane chase potential for even the most stubborn of laners.
- With both Frostbite and Crystal Nova, Crystal Maiden is well equipped to help Sven chase down enemies, or hold them in place while he kills them. This helps to prevent Sven from being kited, especially during the duration of .
- Every hero in the game can make good use of Arcane Aura, especially early game as many heroes at that point cannot spam spells. Just one point in arcane aura is very helpful during the laning stage. For this reason, Crystal Maiden works well in many situations, provided the enemy does not pick heroes that can deal with her effectively and render her useless.
- Many strength and agility heroes benefit greatly from Arcane Aura for the entire game, such as heroes like , , , , and so on. By having a source of mana regeneration via Arcane Aura, they can focus on other items that could benefit them more instead of having to buy an item for mana regeneration.
- Frostbite provides an instant, reliable disable that can be a good setup for unreliable spells such as , , , or .
- Any hero with a large, AoE disable works very well with Crystal Maiden (think , , or ), allowing easy setup for her ultimate, and ensuring that a decent duration of it is used before getting ended. Just be sure not to catch enemies' disables while using this tactic, otherwise both ultimates will be wasted!