Chen, the Holy Knight, is a ranged intelligence hero, renowned as a support that is difficult to learn due to heavy reliance on micromanagement, but once mastered can become a powerful ganker and one of the strongest early pushers in the game. His ability Holy Persuasion allows him to convert enemy and neutral creeps to his side, controlling them and using their abilities to his advantage. This makes him a strong jungler, and allows him to use those creeps' abilities during ganks to disable unwary enemies. Holy Persuasion is also a strong utility spell that allows Chen to save his teammates from death by sending them back to his team's fountain, or to summon his flock to himself. To further aid his ability to gank, Chen has access to Penitence, which allows him to slow his foes while increasing the amount of damage they take, and Test of Faith, an unpredictable but strong Pure damage nuke. Finally, his ultimate, Hand of God, is able to instantly heal all allies and units under Chen's control, globally all over the battlefield, allowing him to push and support no matter where he is.
- The projectile travels at a speed of 2000.
- Amplifies all 3 damage types.
- Upon persuading, applies a basic dispel on the target which removes buffs and debuffs.
- When persuading a new creep while already having the maximum amount, the oldest persuaded creep (including ancient creeps) dies.
- When persuading an ancient creep while already having the maximum amount of them, the oldest persuaded ancient creep dies.
- The death is not credited to anyone so that no one gets experience from it.
- Can persuade any creep, except for creep-heroes. and
- When the unit's maximum health is below the minimum health threshold, its maximum and current health are increased by the difference.
- This current health increase does not count as a heal. The unit has its health set to a value.
- The health of creeps that are currently persuaded does not increase further upon leveling up Holy Persuasion or upon choosing the minimum health upgrading talent.
- Fully restores the creep's mana.
upgraded Holy Persuasion allows 1 ancient creep to be persuaded per level of .
- Ancient creeps are included in the maximum allowed units, so it does not allow Chen to have more creeps persuaded.
- Can be cast on ancient creeps without having Hand of God leveled for no result, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- The talent does not increase the amount of ancient creeps Chen can persuade.
- Upon teleporting, disjoints projectiles for the unit.
- Can teleport every player-controlled allied unit that is not a building or a ward.This means AI-controlled lane creeps cannot be teleported.
- Cannot target invulnerable or hidden units, but can teleport them if they turned invulnerable or hidden after cast.
- The teleport delay is used for every target, including Chen's own creeps.
- Despite the description, targeting Chen teleports all non-hero units under his control to him, and not only units taken over with Holy Perusasion.
- This includes any summons he has, or any other dominated creeps. However, it excludes illusions.
- Unlike directly targeting a unit to teleport, self-casting does target units which are invulnerable or hidden as well.
- The teleport locations are based on Chen's position upon teleporting, with the creeps appearing 120 range to his north, east, south, or west.
- These are the only four spots used to teleport. When having more than 4 units, they get moved to the next pathable area closest to the spots.
- The spots are not chosen randomly, they follow a fixed pattern. The very first creep teleported to Chen always teleports to his north, and following creeps continue counterclockwise.
- All units owned by Chen are healed, including his illusions, summons and persuaded or dominated units.
- Does not heal any allied non-hero units or illusions, except for hero clones.
- The voice line upon cast is global for allies and not audible for enemies.
|+1000Minimum Health||20||+180 Gold/Min|
|+200 Cast Range||10||+35% XP Gain|
- gives Chen the ability to sustain his health. Generally converted creeps should be used to tank neutral camps while jungling, however, so health regeneration can be skipped for other items. Therefore, you should share your Tango with your teammates right at the start of the game.
- is useful for replenishing Chen's mana pool, which is important given how frequently Chen must cast Holy Persuasion while jungling. Keeping Chen's mana up allows him to jungle continuously.
- grants attribute bonuses for some more health, mana, and damage; use this item with Tango to double health restoration.
- aids Chen and allied units in early rotations with invisibility and movement speed.
- is crucial to purchase regularly as Chen, both as a support and as a pusher. Providing map vision to his team allows Chen to keep an eye on enemy movements, which in turn allows him to position himself and his creeps to best meet the threat, or to push an undefended tower.
- is important to buy as a support. Since Chen can jungle fairly independently with only mana as a requirement, he is a good candidate for purchasing the courier.
- give Chen more movement speed, crucial for moving between jungle camps faster, as well as for extra mobility while rotating for ganks with his creeps. Getting within range to cast Penitence on an enemy hero can slow them enough for follow-ups, and the same applies to being able to nuke them with Test of Faith.
- evasion helpful. applies an armor debuff on enemy target to kill them faster, especially when combined with Penitence's damage amlification. It also applies an armor buff on an allied unit that may allow them to tank tower hits when pushing. The item can build into if Chen finds
- replenishes Chen's and his creeps' mana pools, ensuring that abilities are always ready to be used. Furthermore, keeping allies' mana pools topped up allows them to use their abilities more often, useful when pushing towers.
- , purchased early enough, allows Chen to push down towers very quickly as he can heal his creeps and teammates to prevent the enemy from easily defending. In teamfights, it gives Chen an additional ability with which to heal his team, on top of Hand of God.
- grants Chen the ability to cast Holy Persuasion on ancient creeps, giving him more tools to push and help his team with powerful auras going into the late game.
- combines Mekansm and Arcane Boots, saving Chen an inventory slot. The aura gives Chen's team a survivability advantage in fights, while the active can heal them, restore mana, and remove debuffs from Chen that may be preventing him from supporting his team.
- should be purchased regularly alongside Observer Wards in order to deny the enemy map vision. Furthermore, it may be necessary to purchase these to remove any enemy wards that may be blocking Chen's neutral camps, preventing him from farming during the laning stage.
- is a strong teamfight and pushing aura that greatly benefits Chen's creeps and allies. The armor aura greatly increases survivability against physical attacks and tower hits, and the mana aura lets them recover mana more readily for casting spells. The lifesteal can allow creeps, both converted and allied lane creeps, as well as heroes, to maintain their HP during pushes and become a bigger threat against towers.
- gives one more creep, good attributes, as well as attack speed and health regeneration aura.
- gives Chen yet more minions to control, greatly increasing his pushing, teamfighting and ganking power. The summons can be used to push towers, hinder enemies during teamfights, add more damage output during a gank, and at level 3 provide True Sight when needed. The item also provides bonus strength for increased HP, and bonus intelligence for more attack damage and casting ability.
- gives Chen all-around attributes, increasing his survivability and giving him a larger mana pool. The aura gives him yet another way to strengthen his converted creeps, and the active can allow Chen and his creeps to move more swiftly to chase down a gank target or escape enemy pursuers.
- is a powerful teamfight item. It grants increased magic resistance to Chen, while providing an aura that gives his team and his creeps health regeneration and magic resistance. The active can be used to protect his congregation, preventing the enemy from instantly bursting them down with magic nukes.
- allows Chen to apply an armor debuff on the enemy from range, stacking alongside Penitence to weaken the target's defense. Alternatively, Chen can use it to grant allied target armor and evasion, keeping them alive during fights and pushes.
- allows Chen to temporary ignore physical damage, crucial for enhancing his survivability in fights. The inability to attack is of little hindrance to Chen, since he relies on casting his spells and using his creeps' abilities more than on his physical attacks.
- gives Chen yet another way to protect his teammates from the enemy, cloaking them in invisibility while also increasing their magic resistance. The active can also be cast on a converted creep to help it get closer to an enemy to initiate with a disable.
- is very powerful in Chen's hands. It gives him more intelligence and health regeneration, allowing Chen to cast his spells more readily. The active can quickly re-position Chen either to initiate or escape, and do the same for allies. The active can also be cast on a creep to give it a quick burst of movement to get within range for a disable.
- is a cheap mana item that gives Chen some powerful benefits. The increased intelligence and mana regen help Chen to cast his spells more frequently, and the bonus movement speed helps him with mobility for ganking, chasing and escaping. The active also allows him to make himself temporarily invulnerable if jumped on by the enemy, can remove debuffs from himself, or can be cast on an enemy to disable them long enough for a creep to disable them further.
- is a survivability and support item that gives Chen increased utility. The extra HP and evasion help Chen to survive against enemy attacks more easily, and the active allows him to disarm the enemy from range, preventing them from attacking his teammates without dispelling the debuff.
- gives Chen a powerful teamfight aura while also giving him powerful benefits. The bonus intelligence greatly increases the size of his mana pool, while the armor helps with his survivability against physical damage. The aura reduces the effectiveness of enemy attacks, and the active ability can slow their movement speed and apply a damage nuke to them.
- gives Chen all-around attributes and greatly increased casting ability. The Hex gives Chen a targeted instant hard-disable which is very powerful in teamfights and ganks, as it can set up chain-disables with Chen's creeps.
|Roles:||Support Jungler Pusher|
|Playstyle:||Converted at swordpoint after a disastrous battle, Chen quickly became one of the Fold's most zealous knights. Raised among the clans of the Hazhadal Barrens, Chen adapts his skills of animal enthrallment to perform Holy Persuasions, compelling packs of beasts to fight for his cause. Foes are subjected to arduous Tests of Faith, and if found wanting, forced to atone through the magnified pains of Penitence. Chen's devotion does not go unrewarded. The Hand of God aids his companions in their quests, intervening at critical moments to heal their injuries and save them from fatal blows.|
- Chen's fun names in DotA were Chechen and Jackie Chen, a pun on the name of the famed actor Jackie Chan.
- Chen's death quote Play "My Leg" refers to a Spongebob Squarepants running gag.