Chen the Holy Knight is a ranged intelligence hero, whose signature ability, Holy Persuasion, allows him to take control of creeps. Commanding them well requires adept micromanagement and map awareness, but once mastered Chen becomes an effective ganker and one of the game's strongest early pushers. His ability to convert creeps makes it natural for him to spend the laning phase as a jungler, emerging to pick off enemies with his creep army's array of disables. Chen's ultimate Hand of God heals all his creeps and allied heroes wherever they are on the map, allowing him to sustain pushes and secure objectives. And that he must, building up a strong lead before his creeps lose their threat in the late game.
- The projectile travels at a speed of 1400.
- Any allied unit attacking the debuffed enemy gets the speed buff. The buff is granted upon starting an attack.
- Once gained, the speed buff stays for its full duration, so it can be used against other targets.
- Can regenerate up to 98/182/266/350 health over its full duration.
- The heal amplification applies to health regeneration as well.
- Recasting Divine Favor on the same target does not stack, only the duration gets refreshed.
- Grants targeted non-hero units 24/48/72/96 attack damage. Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Targeting enemies:
- Applies a basic dispel on the target which removes buffs and debuffs.
- When persuading a new creep while already having the maximum amount, the oldest persuaded creep (including ancient creeps) dies.
- When persuading an ancient creep while already having the maximum amount of them, the oldest persuaded ancient creep dies.
- The death is not credited to anyone so that no one gets experience from it.
- Can persuade any creep below the given max level, except for creep-heroes. and
- When the unit's maximum health is below the minimum health threshold, its maximum and current health are increased by the difference.
- This current health increase does not count as a heal. The unit has its health set to a value.
- The health of creeps that are currently persuaded does not increase further upon leveling up Holy Persuasion or upon choosing the minimum health upgrading talent.
- Fully restores the creep's mana.
upgraded Holy Persuasion allows ancient creep to be persuaded per level of .
- Ancient creeps are included in the maximum allowed units, so it does not allow Chen to have more creeps persuaded.
- Can be cast on ancient creeps without having Hand of God leveled for no result, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- The talent does not increase the amount of ancient creeps Chen can persuade.
- Targeting allies:
- Has a global cast range when targeting allies.
- Disjoints projectiles upon teleporting.
- Can only teleport allied units controlled by players. Cannot teleport lane creeps.
- Cannot target invulnerable or hidden allies, but can teleport them if they turned invulnerable or hidden after cast.
- The teleport locations are based on Chen's position upon teleporting, with the ally appearing 120 range to his north, east, south, or west.
- The spots are not chosen randomly, they follow a fixed pattern. The very first ally teleported to Chen always teleports to his north, and following allies continue counterclockwise.
- If Chen is dead as the buff expires, the teleport does not happen.
- Damage greater than 0 (before reductions) from any player (including allies, excluding self) or dispels the effect.
- Gives the target a stop command after teleporting it, canceling channeling spells and stopping queued orders.
- The disable help function prevents an allied Chen from casting this spell on you.
- When targeting self, all units under the caster's control (excluding wards and illusions) get teleport to the caster.
- Unlike directly targeting an ally to teleport, self-casting does target invulnerable and hidden units.
- All units owned by Chen are healed, including his illusions, summons and persuaded or dominated units.
- Does not heal any allied non-hero units or illusions, except for hero clones.
- The voice line upon cast is global for allies and not audible for enemies.
|+1000Minimum Health||20||+180 Gold/Min|
|+200 Cast Range||10||+35% XP Gain|
- gives Chen the ability to sustain his health. Generally converted creeps should be used to tank neutral camps while jungling, however, so health regeneration can be skipped for other items. Therefore, you should share your Tango with your teammates right at the start of the game.
- is useful for replenishing Chen's mana pool, which is important given how frequently Chen must cast Holy Persuasion while jungling. Keeping Chen's mana up allows him to jungle continuously.
- grants attribute bonuses for some more health, mana, and damage; use this item with Tango to double health restoration.
- aids Chen and allied units in early rotations with invisibility and movement speed.
- is crucial to purchase regularly as Chen, both as a support and as a pusher. Providing map vision to his team allows Chen to keep an eye on enemy movements, which in turn allows him to position himself and his creeps to best meet the threat, or to push an undefended tower.
- is important to buy as a support. Since Chen can jungle fairly independently with only mana as a requirement, he is a good candidate for purchasing the courier.
- give Chen more movement speed, crucial for moving between jungle camps faster, as well as for extra mobility while rotating for ganks with his creeps. Getting within range to cast Penitence on an enemy hero can slow them enough for follow-ups.
- applies an armor debuff on enemy target to kill them faster, especially when combined with Penitence's damage amlification. It also applies an armor buff on an allied unit that may allow them to tank tower hits when pushing. Chen can upgrade the item to if he finds the slow helpful.
- replenishes Chen's and his creeps' mana pools, ensuring that abilities are always ready to be used. Furthermore, keeping allies' mana pools topped up allows them to use their abilities more often, useful when pushing towers.
- , purchased early enough, allows Chen to push down towers very quickly as he can heal his creeps and teammates to prevent the enemy from easily defending. In teamfights, it gives Chen an additional ability with which to heal his team, on top of Hand of God.
- grants Chen the ability to cast Holy Persuasion on ancient creeps, giving him more tools to push and help his team with powerful auras going into the late game.
- combines Mekansm and Arcane Boots, saving Chen an inventory slot. The aura gives Chen's team a survivability advantage in fights, while the active can heal them, restore mana, and remove debuffs from Chen that may be preventing him from supporting his team.
- should be purchased regularly alongside Observer Wards in order to deny the enemy map vision. Furthermore, it may be necessary to purchase these to remove any enemy wards that may be blocking Chen's neutral camps, preventing him from farming during the laning stage.
- is a strong teamfight and pushing aura that greatly benefits Chen's creeps and allies. The armor aura greatly increases survivability against physical attacks and tower hits, and the mana aura lets them recover mana more readily for casting spells. The lifesteal can allow creeps, both converted and allied lane creeps, as well as heroes, to maintain their HP during pushes and become a bigger threat against towers.
- gives one more creep, good attributes, as well as attack speed and health regeneration aura.
- gives Chen yet more minions to control, greatly increasing his pushing, teamfighting and ganking power. The summons can be used to push towers, hinder enemies during teamfights, add more damage output during a gank, and at level 3 provide True Sight when needed. The item also provides bonus strength for increased HP, and bonus intelligence for more attack damage and casting ability.
- gives Chen all-around attributes, increasing his survivability and giving him a larger mana pool. The aura gives him yet another way to strengthen his converted creeps, and the active can allow Chen and his creeps to move more swiftly to chase down a gank target or escape enemy pursuers.
- is a powerful teamfight item. It grants increased magic resistance to Chen, while providing an aura that gives his team and his creeps health regeneration and magic resistance. The active can be used to protect his congregation, preventing the enemy from instantly bursting them down with magic nukes.
- allows Chen to apply an armor debuff on the enemy from range, stacking alongside Penitence to weaken the target's defense. Alternatively, Chen can use it to grant allied target armor, attack speed, and movement speed, keeping them alive and buffing them during fights and pushes.
- allows Chen to temporary ignore physical damage, crucial for enhancing his survivability in fights. The inability to attack is of little hindrance to Chen, since he relies on casting his spells and using his creeps' abilities more than on his physical attacks.
- gives Chen yet another way to protect his teammates from the enemy, cloaking them in invisibility while also increasing their magic resistance. The active can also be cast on a converted creep to help it get closer to an enemy to initiate with a disable.
- is very powerful in Chen's hands. It gives him more intelligence and health regeneration, allowing Chen to cast his spells more readily. The active can quickly re-position Chen either to initiate or escape, and do the same for allies. The active can also be cast on a creep to give it a quick burst of movement to get within range for a disable.
- is a cheap mana item that gives Chen some powerful benefits. The increased intelligence and mana regen help Chen to cast his spells more frequently, and the bonus movement speed helps him with mobility for ganking, chasing and escaping. The active also allows him to make himself temporarily invulnerable if jumped on by the enemy, can remove debuffs from himself, or can be cast on an enemy to disable them long enough for a creep to disable them further.
- status resistance, and evasion help Chen to survive against enemy attacks more easily, and the active allows him to disarm the enemy from range, preventing them from attacking. is a survivability and support item that gives Chen increased utility. The extra strength,
- gives Chen a powerful teamfight aura while also giving him powerful benefits. The bonus intelligence greatly increases the size of his mana pool, while the armor helps with his survivability against physical damage. The aura reduces the effectiveness of enemy attacks, and the active ability can slow their movement speed and apply a damage nuke to them.
- gives Chen all-around attributes and greatly increased casting ability. The Hex gives Chen a targeted instant hard-disable which is very powerful in teamfights and ganks, as it can set up chain-disables with Chen's creeps.
|Roles:||Support Jungler Pusher|
|Playstyle:||Converted at swordpoint after a disastrous battle, Chen quickly became one of the Fold's most zealous knights. Raised among the clans of the Hazhadal Barrens, Chen adapts his skills of animal enthrallment to perform Holy Persuasions, compelling packs of beasts to fight for his cause. His allies are graced with Divine Favor, while foes are forced to atone through the magnified pains of Penitence. Chen's devotion does not go unrewarded. The Hand of God aids his companions in their quests, intervening at critical moments to heal their injuries and save them from fatal blows.|
- Chen's fun names in DotA were Chechen and Jackie Chen, a pun on the name of the famed actor Jackie Chan.
- Chen's death quote Play "My Leg" refers to a Spongebob Squarepants running gag.