From Dota 2 Wiki
|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
- Dispel Magic from Storm can instantly kill the Phantasm army early game and can still deal a lot of damage to them late game, revealing the real Chaos Knight.
- Dragon Blood's armor bonus greatly reduces the damage dealt by Phantasm and negates Reality Rift's debuff.
- Breathe Fire and Elder Dragon Form's splash damage quickly destroy illusions.
- Echo Slam will deal colossal amount of damage to your army, as will Fissure at lower levels.
- The area stuns from Aftershock will always slow down your illusions, since they can't have Spell Immunity.
- Black Hole usually catches Chaos Knight with all his illusions.
- Midnight Pulse deals damage based on max health, quickly killing Phantasm illusions.
- Lich's Chain Frost, if upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter, will enough for him to destroy Nessaj's illusions.
- Using Reality Rift sets up a Reverse Polarity on Chaos Knight and his illusions.
- Shockwave and Skewer kill Phantasm illusions quickly, as can Empower cast on a melee carry.
- Medusa is the hard counter to Chaos Knight because of Stone Gaze kills (not even petrifies) his illusions and Mystic Snake (when upgraded by Aghanim's Scepter) kills them instantly. And Chaos Knight is not a good Diffusal Blade carrier in general.
- Wukong's Command and Boundless Strike combo can easily make havoc to Chaos Knight by destroying all of his powerful illusions.
- Chaos Knight without Phantasm cannot deal with Jingu Mastery at all.
- Purification heals a teammate targeted by Reality Rift and heavily damages Chaos Knight and his illusions.
- Guardian Angel blocks all Chaos Knight's damage for a duration.
- Decrepify turns the target ethereal, protecting them from Reality Rift.
- Life Drain instantly destroys illusions. It can effectively negate Phantasm when upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter.
- Nether Blast quickly clears out illusions and can harass Chaos Knight in lane.
- Sand King's massive area damage output, particularly Epicenter, allows him to quickly take down Chaos Knight and his illusions.
- He can apply Caustic Finale to illusions with attacks for extra damage.
- Sven's shorter cast time allows him to Storm Hammer Chaos Knight and his illusions before he can cast Chaos Bolt.
- Warcry's armor bonus counteracts Reality Rift and reduces Chaos Knight's damage output.
- Great Cleave and God's Strength devastate Phantasm illusions.
- Ravage damages and disables Chaos Knight's army.
- Anchor Smash deals respectable area damage at early levels and debuffs Chaos Knight's damage.
- Kraken Shell removes Chaos Bolt and Reality Rift while providing protection from damage.
- Strong area damage, particularly from Chakram, lets Timbersaw clear out illusions quickly.
- Reactive Armor quickly builds stacks against Phantasm illusions, making Timbersaw hard to kill.
- Timber Chain allows Timbersaw to escape while surrounded.
- Cold Embrace protects targets of Reality Rift.
- Winter's Curse turns Phantasm illusions against Chaos Knight or a teammate.
- Splinter Blast deals decent area damage to Phantasm illusions.
- Arctic Burn's percentage-based damage quickly wears down Chaos Knight's health.
- Puck's area nukes Illusory Orb and Waning Rift clears Phantasm illusions from early game to mid game.
- Phase Shift can be used to disjoint Chaos Bolt.
- Heroes with strong area damage to destroy Phantasm illusions: Axe, Ember Spirit, Phoenix.
- Heroes that can instantly destroy illusions greatly reduce Phantasm's effectiveness: Lion ( Mana Drain, Hex), Outworld Devourer ( Arcane Orb), Shadow Shaman ( Hex) etc.
- Illusion-based and multi-unit heroes can take advantage of Chaos Knight's lack of area damage: Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer, Meepo, Broodmother.
- Shiva's Guard provides armor and a negative attack speed aura, reducing the damage output of Chaos Knight and his illusions, and can slow and damage them with Arctic Blast.
- Blade Mail is a great item when timed right to destroy all the illusions instantly and it does a great job in countering Chaos Knight's high damage output in general.
- Butterfly and Solar Crest allow heroes to evade Chaos Knight's attacks, reducing his damage output.
- Ghost Scepter and Ethereal Blade prevent Chaos Knight from focusing down a target by turning it ethereal.
- Manta Style creates illusions that can make it difficult for Chaos Knight to initiate on the real hero.
- Linken's Sphere prevent Chaos Knight to using his targeted skills effectively.
Good against...Bounty Hunter
- Phantasm dispels Track, and the illusions make it difficult to Track the real Chaos Knight.
- Bounty Hunter is fragile and can easily be killed by Reality Rift.
- Berserker's Blood and Inner Vitality are of little use against Chaos Knight's high physical damage.
- Huskar cannot effectively deal with Chaos Knight's illusions with his single-target damage.
- Reality Rift lets Chaos Knight bypass the Spirit Bear and jump on Lone Druid.
- The Spirit Bear's lack of scaling means it dies quickly to Chaos Knight during the late-game.
- Phantasm illusions make it difficult to land Meat Hook and Dismember.
- Chaos Bolt is comparatively low cooldown tool to interrupt Dismember.
- Chaos Strike's lifesteal offsets Rot's damage.
- Casting Phantasm before a fight minimizes the disruption from Global Silence.
- Dark Pact is minimally effective against Phantasms, and Slark lacks area damage otherwise.
- Pounce can be counteracted by Reality Rift.
- Slark is naturally frail and dies quickly to Chaos Knight's burst damage before he can build Essence Shift stacks.
- Phantasm illusions can be used to push towers and force Techies to detonate Remote Mines.
- Phantasm illusions can be used to sweep Proximity Mines and Stasis Traps.
- Chaos Knight can easily kill a lone Techies before they Blast Off!.
- Ursa cannot effectively fight against Phantasm illusions with his single-target damage.
- Chaos Bolt's long stun gives Ursa little opportunity to Enrage.
- As Viper focuses on single-target damage, he has trouble fighting off Phantasm illusions.
- Reality Rift counteracts Viper's slows and reduces his durability.
- Phantasm gives Chaos Knight a significant advantage against single-target damage dealers: Lifestealer, Wraith King, Night Stalker.
- Single-target disablers will have difficulty locking down a Chaos Knight with Phantasm active: Bane, Beastmaster, Bloodseeker, Clockwerk, Doom, Shadow Shaman.
- Innately fragile heroes will die almost instantly to Reality Rift while Chaos Knight has illusions active: Drow Ranger, Bane, Necrophos, Crystal Maiden.
Works well with...Crystal Maiden
- Arcane Aura helps sustain Chaos Knight's limited mana pool.
- Frostbite and Crystal Nova provide decent set-up for Chaos Knight's spells.
- A 4 second Chaos Bolt stun can render an enemy helpless against Freezing Field.
- Berserker's Blood gives Huskar high magic resistance, countering Chaos Knight's weakness to area-of-effect spell damage.
- Chaos Knight can deal with single-target physical damage, which would otherwise shut down Huskar.
- In lane, Mana Leak can set up Chaos Knight's spells or remove the enemy's mana and prevent them from threatening Chaos Knight.
- Chakra Magic solves Chaos Knight's mana issues.
- Chaos Bolt provides setup for Illuminate.
- The heal from Illuminate during daytime helps keep Phantasm illusions alive.
- Recall helps Chaos Knight get around the map and siege different lanes.
- Morphling can take down stunned opponents with his fast right clicks, and use Waveform through Chaos Knight illusions hitting any foe in their midst.
- Morphling can catch up a running target and use his Adaptive Strike (Strength) to push them toward Chaos Knight, in range to use Chaos Bolt or Reality Rift.
- When the talent to copy allies is selected, Morph can turn into another Chaos Knight, with his own Chaos Bolt and Reality Rift to use in conjunction with the original's, not to mention the possibility of also having Manta Style in his built, for more 2 copies of Chaos Knight, having a huge potential for physical damage.
- Disruption can create two Chaos Knight illusions to inflict more damage on the enemy.
- Disruption and Demonic Purge allow Chaos Knight to more easily approach slippery enemies.
- Reality Rift can set up Soul Catcher, which in turn amplifies Chaos Knight's single-target damage.
- Armor reduction considerably boosts Chaos Knight's damage output, especially area debuffs which allow Chaos Knight to pick off more enemies: Vengeful Spirit, Alchemist, Dazzle, Slardar.
- Any hero that can make good use of Chaos Bolt's stun to land delayed or damage over time abilities: Skywrath Mage, Invoker, Jakiro.