|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Black Arachnia, the Broodmother, is a melee agility hero who is a notably powerful pusher. Her trademark spiderlings, as both an asset and a liability, define her play style. While a possible additional source of income, experience and lane pushes, spiderlings can easily feed opponents when not handled with deft micro and great awareness. Broodmother's abilities allow her to summon those spiderlings to do her bidding and to slow and kill heroes with relative ease if caught off guard, all while staying as elusive as possible with her webs and passives. She spends most of the early game pressuring a lane with little concern, due to her spiderlings and her added health regeneration, but she can also transition into a difficult to kill melee carry, which can dive in on and rapidly kill lone enemies with the right items later on.
|Black Arachnia, the Broodmother|
|Play "I've promised you to my children."|
|Lore:||For centuries, Black Arachnia the Broodmother lurked in the dark lava tubes beneath the smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, raising millions of spiderlings in safety before sending them to find prey in the wide world above. In a later age, the Vizier of Greed, Ptholopthales, erected his lodestone ziggurat on the slopes of the dead volcano, knowing that any looters who sought his magnetic wealth must survive the spider-haunted passages. After millennia of maternal peace, Black Arachnia found herself beset by a steady trickle of furfeet and cutpurses, bold knights and noble youths--all of them delicious, certainly, and yet tending to create a less than nurturing environment for her innocent offspring. Tiring of the intrusions, she paid a visit to Ptholopthales; and when he proved unwilling to discuss a compromise, she wrapped the Vizier in silk and set him aside to be the centerpiece of a special birthday feast. Unfortunately, the absence of the Magnetic Ziggurat's master merely emboldened a new generation of intruders. When one of her newborns was trodden underfoot by a clumsy adventurer, she reached the end of her silken rope. Broodmother headed for the surface, declaring her intent to rid the world of each and every possible invader, down to the last Hero if necessary, until she could ensure her nursery might once more be a safe and wholesome environment for her precious spiderspawn.|
|Voice:||Ellen McLain (Responses)|
- Spawn Spiderlings' projectile travels at a speed of 1200.
- Spiderlings only spawn when the targeted unit dies while having the debuff on.
- The debuff is applied before the damage.
- It does not matter who kills the target, if it dies in any way, the Spiderlings spawn.
- The amount of spiders spawned is based on the level of the ability as the spawn happens, and not on what level it was upon cast.
- Spiderlings are fully affected by Spin Web.
- Choosing the damage upgrading talent immediately upgrades all of Broodmother's currently flying Spawn Spiderling projectiles.
- Choosing the health or attack damage upgrading talent does not upgrade any of Broodmother's currently living Spiderlings.
- Has a global cast range when a part of another web is within the targeted area.
- Upon learning, Broodmother instantly gains 2 charges. However, leveling it up further does not instantly grant the other charges.
- Only affects the caster, and all Spiderlings and Spiderites under the player's control. Other player-controlled units are unaffected.
- Movement speed bonus, unobstructed movement, and health regeneration are instantly granted upon entering the web.
- Restores health in the form of regeneration, so it restores 0.3/0.5/0.7/0.9 health in 0.1 second intervals, which is 3/5/7/9 per second.
- Can restore up to 180/300/420/540 health in one minute.
- The effects are provided by an aura. Its buff lingers for 0.15 seconds.
- Webs are visible on the minimap for Broodmother and her team. They do not provide vision but are selectable through the Fog of War.
- Spin webs possess the Destroy Spin Web ability.
- Spin webs do not block neutral creep camps.
- The damage is added as raw damage bonus, so it can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble, but not amplified with e.g. Empower.
- Stacks additively with other sources of lifesteal.
Spin Web ability
- This is cast from the web itself, allowing Broodmother to destroy webs individually instead of having the oldest one destroyed.
- Spin webs do not leave corpses.
- Successive hits with Poison Sting on the same target do not stack, only the debuff gets refreshed.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 2 (6) damage ticks.
- Can deal up to 16 (48) damage (before reductions).
- Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Spiderites do not possess this ability.
- Spiderites only spawn when the attacked unit dies while having the debuff on.
- It does not matter who kills the target, if it dies in any way, the Spiderite spawns.
- Spiderites are fully affected by Spin Web.
- Spiderites do not possess this ability.
- Choosing the health or attack damage upgrading talent does not upgrade any of Broodmother's currently living Spiderites.
|+350 Spiders Health||25||+60 Insatiable Hunger Damage/Lifesteal|
|+50 Attack Speed||20||+20 Spiders Attack Damage|
|+35% XP Gain||15||20% Cooldown Reduction|
|+200 Health||10||+75 Spawn Spiderlings Damage|
- Tango provides needed health restoration during the laning phase.
- Healing Salve keeps Broodmother in lane by restoring her health.
- Enchanted Mango provides some passive health regeneration and burst mana, enough to finish off an enemy with Spawn Spiderlings.
- Clarity gives mana to produce Spiderlings.
- Iron Branch provides cheap attributes. Use in conjuction with Tango for more healing.
- Soul Ring allows her to use Spawn Spiderlings more frequently without fear of running out of mana to harass the enemies, take last hits, and amass Spiderlings.
- Boots of Speed gives movement speed to chase, jungle, or retreat.
- Magic Stick gives burst health and mana, useful to get Broodmother healthy and making Spiderlings. You can upgrade it to Magic Wand later.
- Infused Raindrop provides mana regeneration and magical damage absorption to make Broodmother better at using more abilities and surviving early ganks.
- Power Treads provides attack speed to complement Insatiable Hunger, as well as more survivability through additional attribute bonuses.
- Orchid Malevolence's silence aids Broodmother in killing heroes with escape or disable abilities. The mana regeneration helps in making Spiderlings and webs; it can upgrade to Bloodthorn later on.
- Solar Crest boosts Broodmother defense with armor and evasion. Its active ability helps Broodmother and Spiderlings tear down neutral creeps as well as heroes.
- Bloodthorn supplies mana and boosts Broodmother's damage output. Its active ability, Soul Rend, silences the target, as well as giving True Strike and crit to ensure a kill.
- Black King Bar's spell immunity synergizes with the huge lifesteal from Insatiable Hunger to let Broodmother survives in teamfights.
- Quelling Blade makes last hitting easier.
- Hand of Midas, along with bonus experience talent, increases Broodmother's experience gain greatly, allowing her to gain an advantage with early powerful talents.
- Phase Boots gives even more movement speed, letting Broodmother to stick onto targets.
- Vladmir's Offering provides a useful lifesteal effect on both Broodmother and nearby Spiderlings, fully stacking with the effects of Insatiable Hunger. The bonus armor and attack damage greatly increase the ability of Broodmother and her spiders to push lanes and towers.
- Mask of Madness grants cost-effective attack speed to combine with attack damage bonus of Insatiable Hunger for cheap overall increase in damage output.
- Echo Sabre provides intelligence and mana regeneration for Broodmother to Spawn Spiderlings. The attack speed, damage, and slow gives her easier time to hunt down heroes.
- Desolator gives excellent damage and an armor reduction debuff on hit, increasing Broodmother's pushing and killing speed. Use in conjunction with Insatiable Hunger for more damage and lifesteal.
- Diffusal Blade grants useful slow on enemies so they cannot easily escape. Manabreak also burns mana to deal extra physical damage, coupling with bonus agility to make a great item for carry Broodmother.
- Radiance applies area damage and miss chance during teamfight. With high mobility in webs, Broodmother can reach the enemy backline to cancel Blink initiation.
- Assault Cuirass boosts the attack speed and armor of Broodmother and spiders, while also reducing the armor of nearby towers, allowing her to push faster.
- Manta Style offers bonus attack speed, damage, movement speed, and attributes. Use the active Mirror Image to dispel debuffs such as Dust of Appearance, dodge projectiles such as Storm Hammer, or enhance pushes with illusions.
- Butterfly offers agility, bonus attack speed, and bonus attack damage, increasing Broodmother's carry potential. The evasion, coupling with Incapacitating Bite's miss chance, will give enemies a hard time to bring her down with physical attacks.
- Abyssal Blade grants reliable stun and occasional bashes to further lock down enemies, as well as block chance to protect Broodmother against physical attacks.
- Necronomicon 3 strengthens your pushes with summons and their bonus attack speed aura.
|Roles:||Carry Pusher Escape Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Inhabiting the lava tubes below the caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, Black Arachnia grew tired of recent adventurers stepping on her many offspring. And so, the Broodmother set out to rid the world of every potential intruder, one hero at a time. Paralytic venom drips from her fangs, crippling and blinding her prey with each Incapacitating Bite. Warm bodies make ideal nurseries, a fact not lost on Black Arachnia as she injects her eggs into dying foes to Spawn Spiderlings. Across patches of land she Spins Webs of silken fiber, sheltering herself within to recuperate injuries. Driven by Insatiable Hunger, the Broodmother goes into a feeding frenzy, sucking the vital fluids from wandering heroes to replenish herself for the next spawn cycle.|
- In her DotA biography, Broodmother's spiderlings originated from her relationship with Anub'arak, the Nerubian Assassin ( Nyx Assassin). In Dota 2, no relationship between the two heroes exists.
- Broodmother is sometimes called by her nickname, "Broodmama".
- Broodmother's response Play "Some pig." is a reference to the children's novel Charlotte's Web.