From Dota 2 Wiki
- quickly depletes Bristleback's low mana, denying him the ability to spam Quill Spray and Viscous Nasal Goo.
- deals scaling damage and is useful against high health targets such as Bristleback.
- disables Bristleback's low cooldown abilities, preventing him from triggering Warpath. With , it also breaks Bristleback's passive, rendering him more vulnerable.
- provide a good source of healing, countering Quill Spray during the early game.
- ' pure damage works well against Bristleback's tankiness.
- prevents Bristleback from spamming his low-cooldown abilities, greatly reducing his damage and effectiveness.
- allows allies to resposition and hit Bristleback from the front, bypassing his defensive bonus from behind.
- greatly hinders Bristleback's chasing abilities as well as damage output.
- makes Bristleback fight Legion Commander face to face, forcing him to take full damage.
- dispels the slow from stacks of Viscous Nasal Goo.
- is a headache for Bristleback to deal with during the laning stage, as it denies him the ability to get last hits with Quill Spray.
- deals high damage to Bristleback, and only triggers his passive once.
- and deal percentage-based damage, ignoring Bristleback's high health.
- 's HP removal does not trigger Bristleback's passive.
- Outworld Devourer's heavy pure damage output penetrates Bristleback's tanky items.
- only triggers Bristleback's passive once, and deals high damage against Bristleback's low intelligence.
- melts Bristleback's armor, and makes him much less tanky.
- can completely drain Bristleback's bonus damage from Warpath.
- stacks every time Bristleback uses an ability, forcing him to stop spamming his abilities, or take heavy health degeneration.
- 's pure damage cuts through Bristleback's tanky items.
- and stops Bristleback from using his abilities altogether.
- allows Slardar to outrun Bristleback, even when slowed by Viscous Nasal Goo.
- 's armor reduction makes Bristleback much less tanky.
- deals damage as well while reducing 15% of Bristleback's strength, which reduces Bristleback's tankiness.
- can sustain through multiple Viscous Nasal Goo and Quill Spray stacks.
- makes it hard for Bristleback to slow down Timbersaw with Viscous Nasal Goo.
- disables Bristleback's passive.
- and slow down Bristleback's movement speed so he's unable to get out from Nethertoxin.
- forces Bristleback to turn around with , allowing allies to attack him without fear of his passive.
- 's is not affected by the Bristleback damage reduction.
- turn rate slow from makes it harder for Bristleback to keep his back towards the enemy. 's
- 's hinders Bristlebacks' tanking capabilities. with disables Bristleback's passive.
- Heroes who deal single instance burst damage will only proc Bristleback once: ,
- gains many charges due to Bristleback's constant usage of Quill Spray, giving its holder an advantage in lane.
- removes Bristleback's passive, taking away both his tankiness as well as his damage output.
- reduces Bristleback's armor greatly, allowing teammates to beat him down quickly.
- ' armor aura reduces Quill Spray's area damage significantly.
- provides an easy means of escape from Bristleback, as he has no disables.
Good against...Arc Warden
- Bristleback need not worry about charging into , and quickly clearing up Arc Warden's summons and with Quill Spray.
- Quill Spray destroys spiderlings, and hits Broodmother even when she's regenerating in her webs. This makes Bristleback one of her hardest counters in lane.
- Quill Spray quickly destroys Chaos Knight's s.
- The damage from can be reduced by turning away from Huskar.
- Bristleback can bait Huskar into using on him, then turn around and receive very little damage.
- 's frequent damage ticks causes Bristleback to activate repeatedly, resulting in free damage as long as Bristleback faces away from Jakiro.
- Multiple instances of damage from will trigger Bristleback's passive repeatedly in a short time, dealing tremendous damage to Luna and her teammates.
- Luna's general lack of burst damage makes it hard for her to take down Bristleback.
- Lycan's wolves deal little damage to Bristleback, and are easily killed by Quill Spray, even when they're invisible.
- Lycan's lack of burst damage makes it very hard for him to kill Bristleback, especially when his back is turned.
- Quill Spray usually hits Meepo's clones, and Bristleback can still turn his back when rooted with .
- Quill Spray cleans up Phantom Lancer's illusions in no time.
- Phantom Lancer's complete lack of burst damage makes it nearly impossible for him to kill Bristleback during chases.
- Bristleback is one of the hardest heroes to gank with a and combo, and attempts to do so sometimes backfire on Pudge.
- Quill Spray will hit Riki even when he is invisible.
- 's bonus backstab damage is rendered irrelevant against Bristleback.
- does not stop Bristleback's passive from activating.
- Due to Bristleback's natural tankiness, he is an ideal carrier, directly countering Riki's invisibility.
- Bristleback's abilities are nearly useless for Rubick to , as he does not gain the bonuses from Warpath.
- Quill Spray will hit Sand King inside , damaging him and putting Sand King's on cooldown, preventing him from escaping.
- 's numerous damage ticks will trigger Bristleback's passive repeatedly during teamfights.
- Heroes with damage-over-time abilities will not only proc Bristleback's passive continuously, they will also do little harm to him when he is facing away from the source: ,
Works well with...Crystal Maiden
- helps Bristleback use Quill Spray more often during the laning stage, allowing him to harass and last hit better.
- Viscous Nasal Goo works well with Crystal Maiden's slowing abilities, keeping enemies in range of Quill Spray and .
- The extra time from allows Bristleback to get off a few more Quill Sprays due to its low cooldown, and potentially change the outcome of a fight.
- ' slow works well with Viscous Nasal Goo.
- 's cooldown reduction allows Bristleback to Quill Spray twice in a row.
- 's mana restoration allows Bristleback to Quill Spray almost indefinitely.
- 's slow stacks well with Viscous Nasal Goo, keeping targets in range of Quill Spray, as well as making it harder for them to move out of .
- Venomancer's numerous movement speed slows stack well with Viscous Nasal Goo.