- Rubick is a potential counter to Bounty Hunter as he can steal his Track and use it against his invisibility.
- Slardar's True Sight on its target, thus exposing Bounty Hunter's position regardless of Shadow Walk. In addition, Slardar's gives a very high movement speed bonus allowing him to chase BH even if Slardar is tracked. provides
- Spectre can instantly reveal Bounty Hunter's position on the activation of her Ultimate . She can also semi-reveal(visible but not target-able) BH by hitting him with .
- Spirit Breaker's semi-reveals Bounty Hunter, taking away his element of surprise for the duration of the charge. Also, as Charge of Darkness shows BH's position, SB's allies can proceed to gank BH while he is roaming alone.
- makes roaming behind enemy lines more and more difficult as Zeus becomes powerful enough to spam it. Also, Zeus' Ultimate reveals Bounty Hunter regardless of his position.
- Heroes that have long lasting and cheap Area of Effect abilities like , , and 's burn aura make stalking difficult for Bounty Hunter.
- Heroes that are naturally hard to gank, ranging from beefy tanks like and to heroes with quick escape mechanisms like and are also undesirable targets for a lone, roaming Bounty Hunter to scout out and initiate on.
- 's can catch and slow Bounty Hunter. and can defeat him quickly due to his small HP pool when compared to Bristleback's.
- has higher mobility than Bounty Hunter. If Slark has True Sight and Bounty Hunter doesn't have , will shut him down completely. One more reason, removes Track.
- 's at night prevents Shadow Walk for an extended period of time and his will make Phase Boots useless. If Night Stalker has True Sight, he can shutdown Bounty Hunter's sneak kill, especially if Night Stalker has an .
- Heroes that can remove the Track debuff with their skills:
- with and
- with and
- with and
- with when damage received reaches the threshold.
- True Sight to the Necronomicon Warrior. gives
- is the typical counter against Bounty Hunter's Shadow Walk. Early game, this item can easily guarantee a kill on Bounty Hunter if he is invisible as he may not have a means of removing his invisibility safely (thus receiving the 20% movement slow).
- s can act as repellent if he knows of their place or as a trap if he doesn't.
- is a powerful deterrent against his roaming.
, , , and are good for removing Track, in addition to their other useful effects.
- In Lotus Orb's case, it may also be used to reflect Track back towards Bounty Hunter, revealing him and hastening any ally near him.
- Sniper relies on distance. Bounty Hunter can use Shadow Walk to get close, and Jinada can do massive damage and slow down Sniper on the first attack from the early game.
- Track gives additional speed to Bounty Hunter and makes useless, easily killing him with few attacks even though he is accompanied.
- Nyx Assassin wants to start ganking as soon as he gets his . Keeping him Tracked prevents him from ganking, and thus from doing his job in the game.
- Nyx Assassin has a lot of armor and health regen, making the nuke damage from Shuriken Toss very good against him.
- Bounty Hunter can absolutely destroy a Shadow Fiend's game, by ganking his midlane with Shadow Walk, Jinada and Shuriken Toss.
- If his lane goes bad a Shadow Fiend usually goes to the jungle. Follow him with Shadow Walk and take half of his experience.
- Shuriken Toss is a good way to interrupt Shadow Fiend's long cast animation on .
- Bounty hunter can easily keep vision on pudge with mark, making impossible for pudge to surprise hook Bounty's team mates.
- It's difficult for pudge to keep on bounty hunter to rot him, because of bounty hunter's bonus to his movement speed.
- Bounty hunter has a mini stun on his Q which can stop dismember from a good range if it's used with his ulti.
- Fragile heroes: Bounty Hunter has decent nuking capabilities with Shiruken Toss and Jinada thus making fragile heroes easy picks for ganking. Few examples of such heroes are: , , , , , etc.
- Invisibility reliant heroes: Heroes with invisibility abilities or those that have invested into invisibility items are hindered by Bounty Hunter's Track. Few examples of such heroes are: , , , etc.
- is also hindered by Track since he relies on trees to hide him from vision.
- Low mobility heroes: Heroes with no/little means of traveling fast have difficulty getting to/away from Bounty Hunter due to his slowing Jinada and hastening Track. Few examples of such heroes are: , , , , etc.
- Channeled Spells: Shuriken Toss's ministun is very effective against channeled spells such as , , , , etc.
- BH can severely hinder unprotected junglers by leeching their XP and stealing last hits.
- Track is good for triggering enemy due to its low-cooldown.
- 's invisibility is useless against Track's true sight.
Works well with...
- Track allows Invoker to snipe heroes with .
- Nature's Prophet can teleport nearby tracked enemies if they are suspected to be isolated from their team.
- Bounty Hunter can use Track and help with picking off fleeing enemies with Tinker's .
- Spectre's Ultimate allows her to participate with Bounty Hunter's ganks on the press of two buttons allowing her to transition from farming to ganking and back to farming in a few seconds.
- and reveal invisible heroes, allowing Bounty Hunter to Track them.
- Heroes with global presence such as Spirit Breaker, Spectre and Nature's Prophet are excellent heroes to accompany Bounty Hunter with ganks. Lifestealer can also jump into Bounty Hunter with Infest to assist with Track kills.
- Additionally, cores with strong early game presence such as Phantom Assassin and Juggernaut can snowball harder as they can join the fray earlier and start helping with Track kills.