From Dota 2 Wiki
|A reviled blade that bites deeper with each wriggle of its victim's final throes.|
- One Bloodthorn grants a total of 30 attack speed, 300 mana, 50% mana regen amplification (at least 3.38 mana regen) and 1.79% spell damage.
Cast Range: 900
Damage Amplification: 30%
Critical Proc Chance: 100%
Critical Damage: 140%
Effect persists and attempts to deal damage when expiring while spell immune if debuff was placed before spell immunity and when not dispelled.
- Does not directly amplify damage as it is dealt, but rather saves all damage values and deals 30% of it 5 seconds after cast.
- The damage is applied as soon as the debuff expires. Dispelling the debuff, however, skips the damage entirely.
- Recasting Soul Rend on the same target refreshes the duration.
- Doing this delays the damage further, and gives more time to deal damage to the target.
- The damage is credited to the last caster of Soul Rend on the target.
- Only considers magical, physical and pure damage (after all reductions). Other sources of health loss are ignored.
- Applies Accuracy on the target, causing all attacks done against it to not miss to evasion or blind effects.
- The critical strike is only applied to attacks launched on a debuffed enemy. Previously launched attack projectiles are unaffected.
- In reverse, this also means that projectiles launched during the debuff still crit even when landing after it already expired.
- Together with the passive Critical Strike, increases attack damage against debuffed targets by an average of 47%.
- Shares cooldown with Orchid Malevolence.
- Bloodthorn deals heavy damage when combined with Searing Arrows. As such, Daedalus may be ignored as using Bloodthorn provides more DPS. Daedalus has a chance to crit while Bloodthorn guarantees crits when it has been used to silence the enemy.
- When combined with Bloodthorn, using Focus Fire against enemy heroes will trigger a rapid succession of crits.
- Bloodthorn's crit is a decent replacement or supplement to Nature's Prophet's other popular late game damage items.
- Bloodthorn provides a convenient upgrade to Queen of Pain's late game damage output, which falls off over time.
- A natural upgrade from Orchid Malevolence, a core item on Storm Spirit.
- The damage increase from its passive and active abilities make Storm Spirit much more effective at quickly killing tanky enemies in the late game, bolstering his largely-static damage output.
- Bloodthorn's bonuses help offset Sven's limited mana pool, and the passive and Soul Rend crits are devastating in combination with God's Strength.
- Soul Rend can shut down enemies with disables, escape abilities, or evasion, letting Sven strike them down unimpeded.
- Bloodthorn is a viable alternative to a Daedalus on Weaver for shutting down troublesome enemies like Phantom Assassin and Tinker, but is situational due to its lower crit damage and damage bonuses.
- Build the orchid first, it will provide good damage, mana regen and a powerful silence that enemies wont be able to purge early game.
- Bloodthorn's active accuracy counters evasion from any source, such as Butterfly or Blur, as well as blind effects from any source, like Laser or Blinding Light.
- Generally, Bloodthorn is a worthy upgrade for any hero that purchases an Orchid Malevolence or a Crystalys. It is arguably better than Daedalus because it guarantees crits of 140% damage with True Strike for your team, silences, chances to deal crits of 175% damage, and a 30% magical damage aftermath while Daedalus grants only chances to deal crits of damage.
- On average, attack damage is increased by 47% when the debuff is applied (due to both the debuff and the passive critical strike of the item). This will be further amplified by 30% as magic damage at the end of the debuff duration.
- Remember that Bloodthorn's active gives guaranteed crits along with a silence. Targets may still be able to escape with Shadow Blade or Blink Dagger before you could damage them.
- The ensured crits from Soul Rend work for all attacks done to the target. This includes attacks from wards, towers, fountains and even allies of the target.
- Casting it on a tower diving enemy makes them take much more damage from the tower.
- It is great when combined with Winter's Curse, because Soul Rend causes them to crit their cursed ally as mentioned.
- Instant attacks like Geminate Attack and Side Gunner can crit as long as they allow the carriage of attack modifiers. This prevents Split Shot and Flak Cannon from critting.
- Soul Rend does not allow crits from secondary spell projectiles or spell dummy units.
- You don't need to attack too much and chase or dive if you think the bonus 30 % damage at the end of the effect will be enough to kill the target.
- Nullifier: will make the ennemy unable to purge Soul Rend with items or using Blade Mail and gives additional right click damage.
- Diffusal Blade: gives a lot of damage per gold to agility heroes, the active apply one of the most powerful movement slow in the game.
- Mask of Madness: gives the highest DPS per gold, you will regen a lot more from lifesteal, the silence will protect you from being disabled and nuked.
- Scythe of Vyse: the Hex will makes the enemy almost helpless and the Hex's base movement speed allows allies to catch up the hexed enemy. Additionally, it also silences, mutes, and disarms the target.
- Desolator: the armor reduction will amplify the guaranteed crit of your entire team.
- Assault Cuirass: will increase the attack speed of your team and reduce the armor of all enemies.
- Shiva's Guard: apply a powerful move speed slow, combined with a blink Dagger the active can disable the ennemy's Blink Dagger. It is better an intelligence heroes for the damage it give them.
- Necronomicon: will do critical hits and have true strike. The movement speed aura and True Sight are useful to chase your enemy.
- Blade Mail: will return critical strikes on enemies.
- Manta Style, Eul's Scepter of Divinity and Guardian Greaves: purge Soul Rend when used.
- Linken's Sphere: blocks Soul Rend, but some spells can be used to remove the Linken. Later in the game cheaps items like Force Staff can be used to trigger the Linken.
- Black King Bar: purge Soul Rend and make you immune but Soul Rend has a low cooldown so prefer using it during team fight.
- Shadow Blade: use it to escape from a gank.
- Prior to the July 14, 2017 Patch, Bloodthorn's active ability, Soul Rend, did not have an official name. The name was taken from the Dota 2 Wiki and officially implemented into Dota 2.