From Dota 2 Wiki
|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Bad against...Phantom Lancer
- As Bane has only single target skills, dealing with illusions is difficult. A Phantom Lancer with a Diffusal Blade can kill Bane very quickly before he can deny himself with Nightmare.
- Slark can purge all your disables except Enfeeble using his Dark Pact.
- Can avoid being targeted at all with Shadow Dance, making Bane almost useless.
- Does not necessarily care about being Enfeebled, since he can steal attributes with Essence Shift.
- Chaos Knight can easily kill Bane 1v1, even without his Phantasm.
- Enfeeble affects only one form, so Chaos Knight can use Reality Rift to effectively counter this.
- Like Slark, he does not necessarily care about Enfeeble, since he can steal damage with Static Link.
- Bane cannot use his combo on Razor without triggering Unstable Current.
- Not only can Pudge interrupt Fiend's Grip with his Meat Hook, but he can also use Meat Hook to save a disabled ally.
- Even if Bane has Black King Bar or Glimmer Cape, Dismember and Meat Hook can still cancel Fiend's Grip.
- Abaddon, Oracle, Outworld Devourer, Legion Commander, Vengeful Spirit, Underlord, Earthshaker are good examples of heroes that can ruin your Fiend's Grip, purging the disable or cancelling your channeling. Generally, Bane should play cautiously against Disablers.
- Bane has no means to deal with more than one Hero/Unit. Groups of attackers like Meepo, Lone Druid, Phantom Lancer and others will not be greatly affected when disabled.
- Enfeeble has massive anti-synergy with Winter Wyvern's Winter's Curse, and there is nothing to set-up Nightmare with.
- Generally, taking Bane's Nightmare away from the initial target and on to yourself will ruin enemy initiations and help your core heroes to escape or finish off their kills.
- Linken's Sphere blocks one single target ability, so be careful, as all Bane's abilities are target.
- Lotus Orb returns all abilities to Bane.
- Diffusal Blade can't remove your ultimate, but still it can remove Nightmare. It might not be the best of all counters, but it can mess up your sleep.
- The mana drain from upgraded Fiend's Grip will greatly weaken the tankiness Medusa has during late game, as well as provide a strong disable for your team to safely attack her.
- Enfeeble reduces the damage of Medusa's auto attacks, which in turn reduces the effectiveness of Split Shot.
- Medusa normally builds Linken's Sphere, not Black King Bar. Bane can use any spell to break Linken's, and then Fiend's Grip Medusa. The correct spell to waste depends on the game, but Enfeeble has a sufficiently short cooldown and long cast range to allow you to break Linken's Sphere and to use Fiend's Grip, Brain Sap, and then Enfeeble again to apply the damage reduction, all within one Linken's Sphere cooldown.
- Phantom Assassin's high critical strike multiplier can be greatly weakened with Enfeeble.
- When both spells are maxed, it decreases the damage of her critical strike by 120*450%=540 damage.
- Enfeeble also weakens her Stifling Dagger.
- Phantom Assassin has poor strength gain and doesn't usually build strength items. Fiend's Grip and Brain Sap can remove over 50% of her health, and the disables prevent her from using Phantom Strike to teleport away.
- Bane's Nightmare can be used to waste Shallow Grave's duration.
- Weave cannot negate damage output from Bane's spells.
- Similar to Dazzle, Bane's Nightmare along with his combo can be used to waste Surge's duration.
- Enfeeble drastically reduces Dark Seer's already weak direct attack damage.
- Although Dark Seer can use Vacuum to cancel Fiend's Grip, Fiend's Grip can be very painful for Dark Seer since it prevents him from escaping with Surge and drains his mana away to Bane.
- Cannot break Nightmare with any spells, making it possible for Faceless Void to waste his Chronosphere.
- Bane's 5 second Fiend's Grip can make Time Walk unreliable, and force Void to play safer and less aggressively.
- You can either put him to sleep when he casts Rupture, effectively wasting it, due to Nightmare's long duration, or cast it on yourself/an ally he has targeted.
- You can also use the first second of invulnerability provided by Nightmare to prevent being silenced and damage by Blood Rite, as the latter takes a while to come into effect, and you can predict exactly when it will.
- Bane is a single target destroyer, and does well against nearly all heroes, with the exception of those with strong dispels or long range disables, as these might diminish or entirely cancel out your abilities
- Enfeeble is undispellable, and reduces the target's auto attack damage. Carries are the heroes with most dependency on auto attacks.
- Wraith King, Medusa, Weaver, Storm Spirit and other mana dependent heroes will have diminished impact on a fight if they survive Fiend's Grip due to its mana drain.
Works well with...Underlord
- With a starting point in Atrophy Aura and in Enfeeble, it can be impossible (quite literally) for an enemy core to secure last hits in lane.
- Since your enemy's damage is so reduced, Brain Sap becomes comparatively more effective.
- Fiend's Grip is the perfect disable to keep someone inside Firestorm.
- It's especially nice since Fiend's Grip deals a high flat damage whereas Firestorm deals a percentage-based damage; the combo should allow you to take down even the tankiest enemies (provided they don't have additional sources of magic resistance... but you also have Brain Sap for that).
- Pit of Malice can allow Bane to catch-up and Nightmare can allow Underlord to catch-up (or runaway, as needed). Overall, both should be able to cast their spells more than once in an engagement when they work together. The only thing you must be careful of is to not unintentionally cancel Nightmare with Firestorm.
- Nightmare is a perfect setup for Purification and Brain Sap. Both being pure damage is an added bonus for serious damage output, especially in the early game.
- An enemy that's sitting still is a very easy target for Timbersaw, making Fiend's Grip and Nightmare perfect synergistic tools to aid Timbersaw with a pickoff.
- Nightmare into Sacred Arrow is a classic combo. Good for early game ganks and setups in the mid lane.
- Nightmare into Dismember is a good combo for landing kills
- Nightmare and Meat Hook is another good combo. Good for early game ganks and setups.
- Nightmare works very well with Static Link since Razor can then freely steal damage from his target.
- Fiend's Grip sitting still with Mystic Flare drains the enemy's HP plus damaging with Concussive Shot and Brain Sap finishes it off with a good combo. Can do ganks after both get their ultimate's.