Items are in-game equipment that provide heroes with bonus attributes and special abilities. They can be purchased from several shops on the game map. Lower tier items are combined into higher tier items, usually with the help of a recipe. Heroes have six item slots in their inventory, three in their backpack, and six more in their stash. Items can be picked up and delivered to their owner with a courier.
- 1 General information
- 2 Shops
- 3 Items
- 4 Events
- 5 Removed items
- Heroes cannot use items owned by other heroes, with a handful of exceptions. See Item Sharing for details.
- Some items can be disassembled. See Disassembly for details.
- Most items may be sold back to vendors for all of the gold spent, if sold within 10 seconds after purchasing, and the item's active ability (if it has one) has not been used yet.
- After ten seconds have passed, or the item's active ability has been used, selling an item only recoups 50% of its original price.
- and cannot be sold at any time.
- cannot be sold after the preparation phase or after the 10 second refund time.
- The starting and any other items gained from selecting a bonus hero or randoming cannot be sold.
- Most dropped items can be destroyed by force-attacking them (default key:
- Allies' items which are not flagged as shareable cannot be destroyed.
- and cannot be destroyed.
- To pick up a dropped item, the unit must be within 150 range of the item.
- Most item effects cannot be effectively stacked with multiple copies of the same item on a single hero, with the copy only being able to provide the base stats of the item.
- Cooldowns are shared between identical items with active abilities, and if one item with an active ability can be upgraded into another, most of the time both will share a cooldown.
- Multiple instances of the same aura or debuff will not stack, even if the two copies of the item providing it are owned by separate heroes.
- Some items do not provide their effect to heroes with passive abilities providing the same or similar effect. For example, most heroes with a bash ability cannot use the passive ability from .
- Some items have effects that only apply to heroes that are ranged or melee.
- The shop at the enemy fountain can also be used to buy items, sell items, and access the stash.
- The Secret Shops have a restricted inventory, and cannot be used to access the hero's stash.
The Secret Shops are slightly hidden shops located near the center of the map. The shops allow players to buy items that cannot be bought elsewhere or to spend extra gold while in the early game.
These items were only available during limited time events or had an account bound limited amount of uses. Besides the river vials, all of these items got removed from the game files and are no longer functioning and can no longer be created with cheats in custom lobbies. The river vials, although still within the game, can no longer be acquired or used, as they expired.
Side Lane Shop
Two Side Lane Shops were shops that could be found at the edges of the map. They allowed players to buy certain useful items without returning to base or to the secret shops.