|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Kaldr, the Ancient Apparition, is a ranged intelligence hero who is most commonly played as a support. Though very frail, this icy elemental caster possesses great range on his spells (including an ultimate that can be used anywhere on the map), and strong semi-spammable spells. Cold Feet places a debuff on an enemy which will stun the unit unless it leaves the area the skill was cast. This can be devastating when used in conjunction with other disables from allies. Ice Vortex is a spammable zoning ability, applying a heavy slow and magic damage amplification to all enemies standing near the vortex. This is great in combination with Chilling Touch, which buffs Kaldr and his allies with enhanced magic damage for several regular attacks. His ultimate, Ice Blast, is an area-of-effect ultimate and one of the most devastating spells in the game as it has a global range and increases in radius the further the blast lands from the Ancient Apparition. Enemies struck by the blast will take hefty damage, have their health regeneration completely frozen for a respectable duration, and are killed instantly if they fall too low on life, making the Ancient Apparition an excellent counter to heroes who rely on sustaining themselves in teamfights through healing and regeneration.
|Kaldr, the Ancient Apparition|
|Play "One day, ice will cover these lands, and it will be as if this war never happened."|
|Lore:||Kaldr, the Ancient Apparition, is an image projected from outside time. He springs from the cold, infinite void that both predates the universe and awaits its end. Kaldr is, Kaldr was, Kaldr shall be… and what we perceive, powerful as it appears to us, is but the faintest faded echo of the true, eternal Kaldr. Some believe that as the cosmos ages and approaches its final moments, the brightness and power of Kaldr will also intensify—that the Ancient Apparition will grow younger and stronger as eternity's end draws nigh. His grip of ice will bring all matter to a stop, his image will cast a light too terrible to behold. An Apparition no longer!|
|Voice:||John Patrick Lowrie (Responses)|
- Cold Feet places an initial debuff on the target and places an icy marker at its current position upon cast.
- As long as the target stays within 740 radius of the mark, it takes damage from the debuff and after 4 seconds it is stunned.
- If the target moves 740 range away from the mark at any point during the initial debuff, the spell completely stops, removing the debuff and the marker.
- This means even when the target moves back within range, it is not frozen or damaged further.
- Cold Feet cannot be cast on units which already have the Cold Feet modifier or the Cold Feet Freeze modifier on them.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in 4 instances.
- The stun is applied 1 second after the last instance.
- Can deal up to 120/200/280/360 damage to the target (before reductions).
- Choosing the talent which replaces the cooldown with charges does not affect the ability's currently running cooldown. It does not get refreshed.
Affects Ancient Apparition while spell immune.
- All effects are provided by an aura. The modifier lingers for 0.5 seconds. The aura uses only one modifier.
- Reduces most heroes' total magic resistance to 13.75%/10%/6.25%/2.5% ( 8%/4%/0%/-3%), assuming basic 25% magic resistance and no other sources of magic resistance.
- Reduces Visage's total magic resistance to -3.5%/-8%/-12.5%/-17% ( -10.7%/-15.2%/-19.7%/-24.2%), assuming his basic magic resistance and no other sources of magic resistance.
- Successive casts of Ice Vortex do not stack. A unit can only be affected by one of them even when multiple of them are overlapping.
- For the caster, this also means that standing within the own and an enemy Ice Vortex does not provide both effects to the caster.
- Which effect is provided within the overlapping area is decided by which one affected the hero first.
- When leaving the overlapping area, the modifier updates after its linger time, based on which area the hero still stands in.
- Provides 200 radius ground vision at the targeted point for its duration.
- Choosing the cooldown reducing talent does not affect the ability's currently running cooldown.
- Choosing the speed change and resistance reduction increasing talent immediately upgrades all of Ancient Apparition's currently active Ice Vortexes, including already placed modifier.
- Chilling Touch places a buff on allied heroes within the area which enchants their attacks. Leaving or entering the area after cast has no effect.
- The buff is only placed on allied heroes (including Meepo clones and Tempest Doubles), but not on illusions.
- The buff is always placed on Ancient Apparition, even when he is outside the targeted area.
- The damage is dealt as a separate damage instance before the attack damage is dealt, but relies on the attack to hit.
- Only successful hits reduce the number of left attacks and apply the damage.
- The damage source is set to be the attacking hero, not Ancient Apparition.
- Can deal up to 90/180/300/450 ( 330/500/700/930) damage per buffed ally, and 450/900/1500/2250 ( 1650/2500/3500/4650) damage with 5 buffed heroes (before reductions).
- Each attack places a new separate debuff, fully stacking with the slow of other attacks.
- Recasting Chilling Touch refreshes the buff duration, resets the number of attacks, and updates the number of attacks and damage bonus based on the current level and talents.
- Choosing the damage upgrading talent does not upgrade Ancient Apparition's already placed Chilling Touch buffs.
- Upon cast, Ice Blast is replaced by the sub-skill Release.
- The tracer projectile travels at a speed of 1500 until Release is cast, Ancient Apparition dies, or it reaches the map boundaries.
- The tracer has invisibility and is never visible to enemies. However, with True Sight, enemies can see the projectile as a dot on their minimap.
- The invisibility also causes the typical shockwave effect caused by some invisibility sources, which is visible to the enemies if they have True Sight.
- The tracer projectile itself is harmless. It neither deals damage, nor places the debuff.
- The explosion radius starts at 275 and increases by 50 for every second the tracer has traveled, capped at 1000 radius.
- Thus, it takes at least 15 seconds to reach the maximum radius, equaling 22500 units traveled.
- The tracer provides 500 radius flying vision around itself as it travels. This vision does not last.
- The tracer blocks neutral creep camps. The dome indicating the area and the second projectile do not.
- Unlike the debuff, the explosion damage hits all enemy units, including creeps, excluding buildings and wards.
- The debuff prevents the current health of affected units to increase in any way. The only exceptions are Sunder, Decay, Time Lapse, Morph Replicate, Supernova, Whirling Death, Howl, and Spirit Vessel's percentage increasing.
- Units with the debuff on die instantly when their health drops below the threshold. The kill is credited to the source of the damage which brought them below the threshold.
- The debuff checks the unit's health upon taking damage, excluding the damage flagged by HP removal.
- However, if it was caused by self-inflicted damage, Ancient Apparition is credited for the kill.
- An exception to this is when the unit is denied or suicides by Bloodstone; it will not be credited as a kill for Ancient Apparition.
- Shallow Grave prevents affected units from dying to the shatter for its duration. Invulnerable units cannot shatter.
- The debuff deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 8/9/10 ( 17) instances.
- The debuff itself can deal up to 100/180/320 ( 212.5/340/544) damage (before reductions).
- Together with the explosion, Ice Blast can deal up to 350/530/770 ( 462.5/690/994) damage (before reductions).
- Replaces Ice Blast until the sub-spell is cast or the tracer disappears.
- Upon cast, the tracer stops travelling and marks the total area hit by the explosion once the icy ball of hail reaches its position.
- It also provides 650 radius flying vision at that position for 4 seconds.
- The icy ball of hail travels at a speed of 750, or reaches the targeted point 2 seconds after launch, whichever is faster.
- The icy ball is only released when Release is cast, or when Ancient Apparition dies while the tracer is still travelling.
- It is not released when the tracer reaches the map boundary. In this case, the spell is wasted.
- Every enemy unit which comes within 275 radius of the icy ball as it travels, or is hit by the explosion gets the Frostbitten debuff.
- The debuff starts expiring only once outside of range of the icy ball. Getting within range again immediately refreshes the duration.
- The icy ball is fully visible to enemies. But unlike the tracer, it is not visible on the minimap.
- The icy ball provides 500 radius flying vision as it travels, which lasts for 3 seconds.
|+4% Ice Blast Kill Threshold||25||4 Charges of Cold Feet|
|+80 Chilling Touch Damage||20||+8% Ice Vortex Slow/Resistance|
|+20 Health Regen||15||-1.5s Ice Vortex Cooldown|
|+10% Spell Amplification||10||+60 Gold/Min|
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- Iron Branch gives cheap bonus attributes which is helpful for laning and can be build into Magic Wand.
- Clarity is needed because Ancient Apparition is very mana dependent in the early game. These potions will make spamming Cold Feet possible.
- Tango grants health restoration, which is very important for a fragile hero.
- Healing Salve also restores health to you and allies.
- Animal Courier carries items to team.
- Urn of Shadows gives some overall attributes and good mana regeneration. Its ability will make ganking easier, while it can also be used to heal allies.
- Magic Wand helps with sustaining both your health and mana.
- Boots of Speed are needed for the movement speed bonus.
- Arcane Boots provide Ancient Apparition and his allies with much-needed mana sustain, as well as increase Ancient Apparition's own mana pool.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives Ancient Apparition a much needed improvement to his attributes as well as increasing the duration of Ice Blast's debuff to 17 seconds, effectively preventing all enemy support heroes with healing spells from healing for an extended period of time. This makes your ultimate ability extremely lethal to low-health heroes, and even tanky heroes that rely on their regeneration or lifesteal to be effective.
- Observer Ward not only helps your team out by providing vision, but help you out, too, by scouting low-HP enemies to Ice Blast.
- Hand of Midas can be a good item choice when Ancient Apparition has an above-average early game, sustaining him with a steady gold and experience gain.
- Mekansm is a great utility item which will make you and your team much harder to kill. Use its ability to heal you and nearby friendly heroes at the cost of some mana, while buffing everyone at the same time. It can be later upgraded into Guardian Greaves.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity gives plenty of mana regeneration, some mana, and some movement speed. You can activate its ability on an enemy after casting Cold Feet and the opposing hero will be stunned and frozen most of the times.
- Aether Lens is a decent alternative to your standard items. Two of your spells do benefit from the extra cast range (albeit only slightly, since both have a big casting range already) and you can build it by disassembling your Arcane Boots. The spell amplification should be the main reason for you to get this item.
- Force Staff is an extremely useful item which can be picked up as an escape mechanism or a chasing item. It can be used to help teammates as well.
- Rod of Atos grants a decent amount of overall stats, with a particular boost to Ancient Apparition's strength and intelligence. It makes you less fragile and able to spam your spells without worrying as much. Its root can be used with your Cold Feet (and Ice Vortex) to easily land your spells.
- Ethereal Blade upgrades nicely from a Ghost Scepter. It provides a good nuke, slow, and magical damage amplification that synergizes well with Ancient Apparition's kit. The required Eaglesong however is very expensive on a more-than-often starved Apparition.
- Scythe of Vyse is a very strong late-game item that gives a great attribute increase, all the mana regeneration you'll ever need, and an amazing disable. Its only downside is its hefty price.
- Shiva's Guard gives a lot of intelligence and armor. Its ability slows down enemies and damages them in a large radius, making it perfect in teamfights where you are the first priority target.
- Octarine Core is good on most spell-casters and Ancient Apparition is no exception. But it's extremely expensive and should never be considered as the first major item on Ancient Apparition.
- Refresher Orb could theoretically prevent any kind of healing for 34 seconds with a double Ice Blast, an ultimate late game item.
|Roles:||Support Disabler Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Projected from the cold, infinite void, the Ancient Apparition known as Kaldr is but a faint image of his true self. Nevertheless, his Chilling Touch is enough to crack the sturdiest of armors. Caught in an Ice Vortex, heroes afflicted with Cold Feet seldom go far. A frozen sphere flies across the sky, expanding at its destination. Within seconds, an Ice Blast strikes the marked area. Flash frozen, enemies have no choice but to retreat before their brittle bodies shatter to pieces...|
- Kaldr's lore suggests that he is the embodiment of the Heat Death, a theoretical fate of the universe. According to this theory, the universe will achieve thermodynamic equilibrium and will no longer transfer energy. This would result in a universal temperature growing colder and a cessation of processes that require energy consumption, such as life.
- "Kaldr" is old norse and translates to "cold" in English.
- In DotA, Ancient Apparition is one of several heroes with custom models. It utilizes a custom model called "IcyGhost", created in 2006 by the pseudonymous content creator PrMosquito, from the Hive Workshop community. The Dota 2 counterpart is modeled after the original design.
Model before the November 01, 2017 Patch