Slardar, the Slithereen Guard, is a melee strength hero who uses brute force, low cooldown spells, and high physical strength to bring his enemies to their knees. He excels and thrives in close combat situations, and has high mobility, strong initiation and ganking abilities, and good synergy between his abilities. Guardian Sprint greatly increases Slardar's movement speed for a lengthy duration, and allows him to chase down heroes, and escape with ease. Guardian Sprint can be used to get right next to enemies so Slardar can use Slithereen Crush, which delivers an area of effect (AoE) stun to nearby enemies followed by a minor slow afterwards, all on a very low cooldown. This allows Slardar to take on multiple opponents simultaneously and deliver a potent initiation. Bash of the Deep serves as a strong steroid ability, occasionally locking enemies in place while Slardar whacks at them with impunity. Finally, his ultimate Corrosive Haze is a great armor reduction modifier and allows him to reveal an enemy for its duration, making Slardar very potent against tanks and invisible heroes alike. It will also increase the damage dealt by his Crush and Bash, since they are physical. Although a strength hero, he has a high physical damage output, an agility gain and armor value, which rivals that of most agility heroes, allowing him to carry quite well if the situation calls for it. Chasing enemies relentlessly, pummeling them into the ground, and reducing their armor to shreds, Slardar is a fearsome opponent to face.
- Guardian Sprint does not interrupt Slardar's channeling spells upon cast.
- Turns Slardar phased for the duration, allowing him to pass through other units and wards.
- Does not stack with other bashes. The bash from and is completely disabled for Slardar.
- The proccing attack first applies the debuff, then its own damage.
- The bonus damage is dealt in one instance together with the attack damage, and counts as attack damage as well.
- Adds an average of 8/15/24/35 damage to every attack.
- Adds an average of 18/30/44/60 damage to every attack when the damage increasing talent is chosen.
- Adds an average of 20/30/42/56 damage to every attack when the proc chance increasing talent is chosen.
- Adds an average of 45/60/77/96 damage to every attack when both talents are chosen.
- Bash of the Deep uses pseudo-random distribution.
|+1000 Night Vision||20||+50 Attack Speed|
|+25 Damage||10||+5 Health Regen|
- helps to mitigate harass damage taken by lane opponents, extending Slardar's survivability early on.
- provides health regeneration to combat harassment.
- also restores health to Slardar.
- replenishes his mana pool from casting Slithereen Crush. Being able to cast his stun more than twice in-lane gives him more opportunities to get kills against lane opponents, and thus more opportunities at gold and experience.
- provides a boost to Slardar's attributes and builds into Magic Wand later on.
- gives cheap burst healing and mana, which can give Slardar more survivability or enough mana to cast Slithereen Crush one more time to secure a kill.
- are absolutely crucial early on for any hero. In Slardar's case, it greatly improves the potency of Guardian Sprint, allowing him to more easily catch up to fleeing enemies or escape pursuers.
- provides good sustain in lane and the extra armor makes you very survivable against physical damage in the early game. It builds directly into an Armlet of Mordiggian.
- provides a cheap boost to Slardar's attributes and a quick burst heal. Use it to survive that last bit of damage or cast one last spell in a teamfight.
- is the best boot choice for Slardar, as attribute switching can give Slardar more strength for HP and base damage or more intelligence to reduce the mana cost of his spells. The attack speed improves his chances of proccing Bash of the Deep.
- is extremely powerful in Slardar's hands, as he can instantly get within range to cast Slithereen Crush. It should be considered a core item in all circumstances, and rushed if possible.
- is very cheap and gives Slardar many powerful bonuses. Improving his attack speed, armor and damage makes him a much stronger fighter, while the HP regen keeps him topped up. The active gives him extra strength and damage, making him much tankier and making his attacks hit harder.
- allows Slardar to ignore enemy crowd control spells, greatly improving his ability to kill important targets in teamfights. It also provides bonus strength for more HP, and increased physical damage output.
- gives Slardar a way to counter enemy target spells, allowing him to disable enemy supports or discourage them from focusing him. It also provides armor for tankiness, and HP and mana regen to allow him to roam independently.
- is a strong initiating item that improves Slardar's physical DPS and allows him to roam invisibly for targets. Combining Guardian Sprint and Shadow Walk can allow Slardar to move at maximum movement speed while invisible, and allows him to deal backstab damage when attacking out of invisibility.
- can be a very effective item on a ganking Slardar. The extra hp and mana/regen are welcome on a hero who wants both. The bonus attack speed and instant attack passive synergize very well with Bash of the Deep. Also keep in mind the 25 additional damage is amplified by the negative armor value of Corrosive Haze, making the double attack especially effective on an enemy under the influence of Haze.
- is the best survivability item in the game. Its raw HP and passive regeneration ability allows Slardar to stay in teamfights longer and recover from them faster.
- is a relatively cheap item that provides increased bonus damage. Its attack modifier can reduce enemies' armor and synergizes with Corrosive Haze, allowing Slardar to shred enemies with his attacks.
- improves Slardar's armor and attack speed, making him tankier and increasing his proc chance with Bash of the Deep. The aura gives allies more armor and attack speed as well, and the enemy armor reduction further reduces their physical damage resistance on top of Corrosive Haze.
- provides Slardar with increased health, damage block and armor, drastically improving his tankiness and allowing him to shrug off most forms of physical damage. The active ability allows him to grant damage block and armor to all nearby teammates for a short time, increasing their survivability as well as his own.
- greatly increases Slardar's attack speed, improving his physical damage output and a greater chance to proc Bash of the Deep. The Shade Sight passive also improves his night vision, allowing him to more easily spot targets while hunting in the darkness.
- can be a good purchase on a roaming Slardar, as he can pick up runes while hunting for targets (both to refill the bottle and to utilize the runes for ganks). Slardar's small mana pool and being active in early ganks mean that he benefits from a source of HP and mana replenishment, particularly since he can treads switch to get more value out of it.
- can be a useful early roaming item if Slardar intends to be very active in the early game. It provides strength for more HP and base damage, making him tankier and letting him hit harder, and provides a small amount of mana regen to help replenish his mana pool. As he can easily get charges from successful ganks, they can be used to heal Slardar after successful kills, and can add damage to future ganks.
- provides Slardar with an array of useful bonuses. The all-around attributes give Slardar more HP and mana, the latter of which is extremely helpful for allowing him to cast his spells, and the aura provides movement and attack speed bonuses, both of which greatly help Slardar in combat. In particular, the movement speed aura can combine with Guardian Sprint to allow Slardar to reach the movement speed cap of 550.
- gives Slardar many strong mid-game benefits that can fill in some of his deficiencies. The bonus intelligence helps him to cast his spells more easily, while the armor and damage make him a better fighter. The active lets Slardar use his HP offensively during ganks, and discourages enemies from targeting him in teamfights.
- break can disable enemy passives that may be preventing Slardar from easily killing certain enemies. It also provides a nice boost to Slardar's stats. can be upgraded from Shadow Blade, and greatly increases Slardar's ganking prowess. The Shadow Walk backstab damage is increased, and the
- greatly increases Slardar's physical damage and gives him additional magical procs to hit enemies with evasion and high armor to negate Corrosive Haze.
- gives Slardar attributes across the board, making him much tankier and alleviating his mana issues. The attack modifier lets Slardar slow enemies with his attacks, further reducing their ability to escape him.
- is a useful attack speed utility item that greatly increases Slardar's chances to proc his Bash of the Deep; as well, the Chain Lightning modifier allows him to deal magic damage around him with his attacks, giving him creep wave clearing capability and augmenting his damage output if he manages to land Slithereen Crush on multiple enemy heroes. Static Charge can further increase his damage output, discouraging enemies from focusing him for fear of proccing the discharge.
- can greatly increase Slardar's survivability through a combination of factors. It provides high strength, making Slardar much tankier, and bonus damage to further give him more damage output. The lifesteal allows Slardar to maintain his HP, even in the midst of battle, as he can cast Corrosive Haze to increase the amount of damage dealt (and thus the amount he regenerates through lifesteal), and he can use the active to fully recover his HP in just a few attacks as well.
|Roles:||Carry Durable Initiator Disabler Escape|
|Playstyle:||More suited to the comforts of the lightless ocean canyons, Slardar surfaces only to scout, and to track down those who have thieved from the Sunken Treasury. Born under the immense pressure of the deep, he Guardian Sprints with one muscular tail, chasing down legged foes with alarming swiftness. Ever vigilant in his duties, Slardar casts a Corrosive Haze over hidden intruders, revealing their form and softening their armor. Once discovered, there was little time to react. Slardar smashes the ground with a Slithereen Crush, dazing nearby enemies just long enough to pulverize them with Bash of the Deep.|
- In DotA, Corrosive Haze was auto-castable.
- With the 7.00 gameplay update, three of Slardar's abilities have been renamed: Sprint to , Bash to , and Amplify Damage to .
- Slardar's voice lines Play "That is not dead that can eternal lie." and Play "And with strange aeons even death may die." are direct quotes from H. P. Lovecraft's short story The Nameless City.
- Another Lovecraft story, The Shadow over Innsmouth is also referred several times in Slardar's backstory and voice files with mentions to "The Old Ones" and "The Deep Ones".
- Slardar's model is based of the Naga from the Warcraft franchise.
Model before Version 7.00