Razzil Darkbrew, the Alchemist, is a melee strength hero whose alchemical prowess makes him a strange but versatile fighter. He is an unusual carry based upon transmuting killed creeps into large amounts of bonus gold, with both an early game and late game presence due to the enormous health regeneration from his ultimate and the first strike nature of his other spells. His low but balanced attributes and the sure promise of gold for items means he can be one of the most disparately built heroes in the game.
Unstable Concoction is his main contribution early on, dealing good damage and a lengthy stun. Acid Spray allows him to rapidly clear waves of creeps for his Greevil's Greed to contribute massive amounts of extra income. A well-equipped Alchemist can then use Chemical Rage to its fullest effect, as the incredible regeneration and base attack time reduction make it one of the best steroid abilities in the game.
|Razzil Darkbrew, the Alchemist|
|Play "Failure is just another kind of success. The wrong kind."|
|Lore:||The sacred science of Chymistry was a Darkbrew family tradition, but no Darkbrew had ever shown the kind of creativity, ambition, and recklessness of young Razzil. However, when adulthood came calling he pushed aside the family trade to try his hand at manufacturing gold through Alchemy. In an act of audacity befitting his reputation, Razzil announced he would transmute an entire mountain into gold. Following two decades of research and spending and preparation, he failed spectacularly, quickly finding himself imprisoned for the widespread destruction his experiment wrought. Yet Razzil was never one to take a setback lightly, and sought escape to continue his research. When his new cellmate turned out to be a fierce ogre, he found just the opportunity he needed. After convincing the ogre not to eat him, Razzil set about carefully concocting a tincture for it to drink, made from the moulds and mosses growing in the prison stone work. In a week's time, it seemed ready. When the ogre drank the potion, it flew into an unstoppable berserker rage, destroying the cell bars and exploding through walls and guards alike. They soon found themselves lost somewhere in the forest surrounding the city with a trail of wreckage in their wake and no signs of pursuit. In the tonic's afterglow, the ogre seemed serene, happy, and even eager. Resolving to work together, the pair set off to collect the materials needed to attempt Razzil's Alchemic transmutation once more.|
|Voice:||Bruce Miles (Responses)|
- The armor reduction is provided by an aura. Its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds. The damage is independent from the aura.
- Deals damage in 1-second intervals, starting 1 second after receiving the debuff, resulting in up to 16 instances.
- Can deal up to 240/320/400/480 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- When leveling up the ability while a cast is already active, the armor reduction value on already affected units does not update to the new value.
- However, if an enemy receives the debuff after leveling it up, that enemy receives the new armor reduction value.
- The damage value does not update and is always based on the level the ability was cast on.
- The damage of multiple instances of Acid Spray fully stacks. The armor reduction, however, does not.
- Does not affect couriers.
- Interrupts Alchemist's channeling spells upon cast.
- A timer above Alchemist's head shows how much time is left before the Concoction blows up. This timer is visible to everyone.
- The brewing animation and particles are visible to everyone. The Unstable Concoction buff is hidden.
- The sound can be heard by enemies only when the spell was cast within their vision range.
- The damage starts at 0 ( 400) and increases by 3.2/4.8/6.4/8 for each 0.1 seconds brewed, reaching the full damage in 5 seconds.
- The stun starts at 0.3 and increases by 0.029/0.044/0.059/0.074 for each 0.1 seconds brewed, reaching 1.75/2.5/3.25/4 in 5 seconds.
- The concoction first applies the damage, then the debuff.
- Unstable Concoction always affects a 200 area around where it explodes, including when it explodes on Alchemist.
- When Alchemist dies while brewing, it instantly blows up, hitting units around Alchemist based on how long it was brewed.
- While brewing the concoction, Alchemist can still move around and act freely.
- The stun and damage can hit creep-heroes within the radius as well.
- Alchemist can deny himself with this ability.
- Choosing the minimum damage upgrading talent immediately upgrades Alchemist's currently brewing concoction and all of his currently flying concoction projectiles.
- Replaces Unstable Concoction until the concoction is thrown or blows up.
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- The concoction travels at a speed of 900.
- Once thrown, Unstable Concoction stops brewing.
- Cannot be cast on, but can stun and damage creep-heroes within the radius.
- Greevil's Greed triggers on every last hit Alchemist makes, excluding last hits on allies, buildings, illusions and Tempest Doubles.
- All stacks work fully independently from each other. They last 30 seconds each and do not refresh each other.
- Alchemist himself has to last hit to gain a stack, making last hits with other owned units does not add to his current stack.
- The status buff icon shows how much extra gold Alchemist gains on his next last hit.
- A second bounty number appears over Alchemist, showing the amount of extra gold earned. This number is only visible to Alchemist.
- The minimum amount of last hits needed to reach the gold bonus cap is 3/4/5/6 (within the 30-second stack duration).
- Disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Increases Alchemist's total movement speed to 335/345/355, health regen to 41.5/49.5/57.5 ( 71.5/79.5/87.5), and mana regen to 3.9/8.4/12.9.
- Regenerates a total of 1000/1200/1400 ( 1750/1950/2150) health and 75/187.5/300 mana (25/87.5/150 when factoring in the mana cost).
- Chemical Rage is fully canceled on death.
- Recasting Chemical Rage before the previous cast finishes refreshes the duration and updates all values to the current level.
- Aghanim's Scepter has an active ability for Alchemist, allowing him to cast it on allied heroes (excluding hero clones and illusions).
- Once cast, the Scepter is destroyed and the targeted ally receives the buff, which is permanent.
- This status buff grants the ally the same stats as an Aghanim's Scepter and fully applies any Scepter upgrades on the hero.
- Alchemist can cast Aghanim's Scepter on himself as well, gaining the stats only, since he has no upgrades.
- The net worth of the Scepter transfers from Alchemist to the target hero. Self-casting does not change the net worth.
- Doing so does neither change Alchemist's nor the target's GPM.
- A hero can only be targeted once by Aghanim's Scepter.
- The ability to transfer Aghanim's Scepter is innate to the hero and not the ultimate ability.
- This means that Alchemist can share Aghanim's Scepters in Ability Draft, regardless of his skills.
- Cleave damage is reduced by Damage Block.
- The complete area is shaped like an isosceles trapezoid in front of Alchemist.
- Fully stacks with other sources of cleaves. Each source of cleave works completely independent.
- Does not cleave upon attacking wards, buildings or allied units. Wards and buildings are unaffected by cleave.
- Despite the visual effect, cleave damage is applied instantly in the whole area.
|+30 Chemical Rage Regeneration||25||-0.2 Chemical Rage Base Attack Time|
|+400 Unstable Concoction Damage||20||+25% Cleave|
|+50 Damage||15||+400 Health|
|-8s Unstable Concoction Cooldown||10||+25 Attack Speed|
- Tango and Healing Salve, along with Stout Shield allow Alchemist to take a bit of damage while going for last hits.
- Iron Branch is very cheap and gives small attribute bonuses.
- Boots of Speed give a nice movement speed boost.
- Ring of Basilius gives Alchemist's low starting armor a nice little boost.
- Helm of Iron Will gives some armor and health regeneration. It builds into Armlet of Mordiggian.
- Phase Boots gives a damage boost and the phase active works well with Chemical Rage movement speed bonus to chase opponents.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is useful on Alchemist because Chemical Rage health regeneration counters the item's health draining effect.
- Boots of Travel allows Alchemist to split push lanes, and be present at while farming free lanes. Also, the movement speed boost greatly mitigates his weakness in mobility.
- Black King Bar allows Alchemist to be uninterrupted in his attacks.
- Radiance is a good pickup since Alchemist can get it very quickly with Greevil's Greed, when the burn damage hurts the most. It can also deal heavy damage to the enemy team, as Alchemist can stay alive for prolonged periods with Chemical Rage.
- Manta Style is excellent for sieging buildings, and also provides Alchemist with a much needed disjoint mechanism.
- Octarine Core lowers cooldown to allow longer uptime of Chemical Rage; the spell lifesteal allows Alchemist to gain back some health with Acid Spray and Radiance.
- Shiva's Guard grants tankiness with armor and attack speed slow aura. Arctic Blast also slows enemy movement speed, keeping them in range of Acid Spray and Radiance.
- Assault Cuirass lowers enemies' armor, which stacks with the armor reduction from Acid Spray. It also provides a useful aura to buff armor and attack speed the rest of your team.
- Mjollnir increases Alchemist's attack speed greatly, and also gives a useful Static Charge to protect Alchemist or his teammates. Its lightning attack will also trigger often under Chemical Rage.
- Battle Fury allows Alchemist to farm anything in no time, also you can farm it within 6 minutes with Battle Fury you can get Aghanim's Scepter for all your team.
- Vladmir's Offering provides a useful aura and uses a Ring of Basilius as one of its components.
- Blade Mail forces enemies to think twice about fighting back against Alchemist.
- Abyssal Blade goes well with Alchemist's high attack speed, and helps greatly in securing an enemy. It also gives bonus attack damage and greater survivability providing bonus HP and blocking damage from incoming attacks.
- Heaven's Halberd gives some strength and evasion, and also gives the ability to disarm a threatening enemy.
- Heart of Tarrasque gives Alchemist a massive amount of health. Combined with the health regeneration from Chemical Rage, Alchemist is extremely hard to take down.
- Solar Crest allows Alchemist to further reduce the armor of his enemies, makes it easier to fight them with his Ultimate, and allows him to further support allies.
- Shadow Blade grants Alchemist invisibility to brew up his Unstable Concoction. He can break the invisibility by attacking the enemy for additional bonus damage and at the same time launch his concoction. You can upgrade to Silver Edge for the break effect.
- Moon Shard serves as a cheap, permanent upgrade to Alchemist without using any inventory slots. He can also use Moon Shard on an ally to give them the bonus attack speed instead.
- Aghanim's Scepter allows Alchemist to give the item to an ally, granting them appropriate upgrades and attributes.
|Roles:||Carry Support Durable Disabler Initiator Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Having broken out of prison with his ogre accomplice, Razzil Darkbrew embarks on the search for new materials to use in his transmutations. Learned in alchemy, Razzil is able to extract extra gold from creeps, and create fields of toxic sludge with Acid Spray. The Alchemist brews, atop the shoulders of his companion, an increasingly Unstable Concoction that is ideally thrown before it explodes. In a pinch, Razzil slips his partner an unknown potion, inducing a Chemical Rage in the ogre's body. Symptoms include unnatural attack speed, rapid health regeneration, and a pleasant purple hue.|
- At one point during beta, Alchemist's bio consisted entirely of the following sentence: "Alchemist is named Al and is a chemist."
- Alchemist's third ability name remained unchanged from its DotA counterpart until after the Diretide event, when it was changed from "Goblin's Greed" into "Greevil's Greed."
- The Ogre's portion of the Caustic Steel cosmetic set may be a reference to Master Blaster from Mad Max: Beyond The Thunderdome, while the Alchemist's armor and hair are most likely a reference to Edward Elric, one of the two main protagonists of Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Acid Spray's Play sound effect has the same reprocessed sound of Play Oil Platform building from game Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, created by Blizzard.
- One of Alchemist's last hit lines Play "Only ninety-eight percent pure?" is a direct reference to AMC's TV series Breaking Bad.
- Another of his last hit lines Play "Greed is good." is a reference to Gordon Gekko's speech in the 1987 film, Wall Street. 
- Alchemist's line for picking up a Haste Rune Play "Run, buddy, run!" may be a reference to Forrest Gump, since sometime in the movie there is a line "Run, Forrest, Run!"
- Alchemist's leveling line Play " Better living through alchemy!" is a reference to the phrase "Better Living Through Chemistry", a popular variant of a DuPont advertising slogan which later became a common phrase.