|The scepter of a wizard with demigod-like powers.|
Aghanim's Scepter is an item purchasable at the Main Shop, under Caster. However, it requires an item from the Secret Shop to be completed. For most (96 out of 116) heroes, Aghanim's Scepter increases the powers of their abilities, adds a new one or has some other special interaction.
- For strength heroes, it grants 400 health, 1.25 health regen, 1% magic resistance, 1.6 armor, 10 attack speed, 0.5% movement speed, 295 mana, 0.5 mana regen, 0.7% spell damage and 10 attack damage.
- For agility heroes, it grants 355 health, 1 health regen, 0.8% magic resistance, 2 armor, 12.5 attack speed, 0.63% movement speed, 295 mana, 0.5 mana regen, 0.7% spell damage and 10 attack damage.
- For intelligence heroes, it grants 355 health, 1 health regen, 0.8% magic resistance, 1.6 armor, 10 attack speed, 0.5% movement speed, 325 mana, 0.63 mana regen, 0.88% spell damage and 10 attack damage.
- and cannot drop or sell Aghanim's Scepter once they have purchased it, due to the former receiving an additional clone, and the latter for unknown reasons.
- When a hero has an upgrade available, the item's and the upgraded spell's tooltip states what exactly is upgraded.
- When a hero has no upgrades available, the ultimate ability gets a green note reading "This hero has no upgrade".
- Single target spells with Aghanim's Scepter upgrades that are reflected by Echo Shell on has Aghanim's Scepter, not the original caster of the spell. depend on whether the hero with the
- Upgraded allows Chen to control ancient creeps, having access to great abilities and auras that contribute damage and survivability to teammates in fights and pushes.
- 's reduced cooldown gives Clockwerk much greater map presence, allowing him initiate multiple times in one fight, escape from a losing fight, or use it as a casual stun.
- Combined with a , upgraded allows Enchantress to safely lob attacks from the backline, greatly increasing her damage.
- 's reduced cooldown gives Invoker the time to use many more abilities during long team fights.
- 's reduced cooldown gives Necrophos the ability to take important heroes out of the late game for prolonged periods of time.
- ' improved damage helps Techies nuke creeps waves and heroes well into the late game.
- The upgraded and deal consistent area damage, helping Tinker defend buildings and wear down enemies in team fights.
- carry. 's cooldown and damage penalty reduction lets Windranger hit much harder, more frequently, and allows her to fill the role of a
- gives Zeus a second global ability, and also provides continuous vision, allowing Zeus to aid his allies from any point on the map in addition to the burst damage from .
- does not need Aghanim's Scepter for himself, but can farm one for his teammates when needed.
- can have Spirit Bear attack without him around or alive, which make an effective and safe pusher who will always threaten the enemy base.
- rains down extra wave of , clearing creep waves and dealing heavy damage especially against a single target.
- unobstructed vision from the Scepter helps with initiating team fights, pushing highground, and dewarding the map with a . 's
- unlocks , increasing his regeneration, and helping him use more abilities in team fights and defending buildings.
- deals more damage with faster strikes of ; it also damages buildings so Razor can push and close down the game.
- acquires to increase his damage output, as well as making him less dependent on trees to deal damage in the late game.
- can summon two Golems, turning team fights and pushes in his favor with added damage output.
While many supports become more powerful with Aghanim's Scepter, most should still focus primarily on buying support items, with Aghanim's Scepter as a luxury option if they have enough gold.
- Aghanim's Scepter is named after Agahnim, one of the main villains in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
- With the exception of and , heroes never mention Aghanim's name in their voice responses, simply referring to it as "The Scepter". The reason for this is unknown.
- and are the only heroes who do not have any Scepter responses (excluding and , who do not speak).
- an imitation of Aghanim's Scepter. is the son of Aghanim. He also possesses