|The scepter of a wizard with demigod-like powers.|
Aghanim's Scepter is an item purchasable at the Main Shop, under Caster. However, it requires an item from the Secret Shop to be completed. For most (96 out of 115) heroes, Aghanim's Scepter increases the powers of their abilities, adds a new one or modifies the hero in another way.
- One Aghanim's Scepter grants a total of 375 health, 7.14% health regen amplification, 1.67 armor, 10 attack speed, 295 mana, 20% mana regen amplification and 0.71% spell damage.
- Meepo and Lifestealer cannot drop or sell Aghanim's Scepter once they have purchased it, due to the former receiving an additional Divided We Stand clone, and the latter for unknown reasons.
- When a hero has an upgrade available, the item's and the upgraded spell's tooltip states what exactly is upgraded.
- When a hero has no upgrades available, the ultimate ability gets a green note reading "This hero has no upgrade".
- Hookshot's reduced cooldown gives Clockwerk much greater map presence, allowing him initiate multiple times in one fight, escape from a losing fight, or use it as a casual stun.
- Combined with a Dragon Lance, upgraded Impetus allows Enchantress to safely lob attacks from the backline, greatly increasing her damage.
- Invoke's reduced cooldown is crucial in the late game, giving Invoker the time to cast many more abilities in a long teamfight.
- The extra clone spawned from Divided We Stand's upgrade increases Meepo's map presence and damage, especially from Poof.
- Starstorm's extra wave of meteors greatly increases Mirana's burst damage potential, especially when initiating on a single target.
- Reaper's Scythe's reduced cooldown gives Necrophos the ability to take important heroes out of the late game for prolonged periods of time.
- Meat Hook's reduced cooldown and increased damage improves Pudge's initiation and ganking capabilities, and is useful for increasing his damage output and team fight presence in late game scenarios.
- Sonic Wave's vastly reduced cooldown gives Queen of Pain many more opportunities to gank, initiate, and even clear creep waves.
- Remote Mines' improved damage makes it much easier to kill tougher heroes in the late game, and is the only way to improve Techies' damage.
- Burrowstrike's doubled range makes Sand King much more mobile, and allows him to stun more enemies during initiations.
- Necromastery's increased soul limit boosts Shadow Fiend's attack and Requiem of Souls damage. Having more souls also means Shadow Fiend will often retain more damage after dying.
- Focus Fire's cooldown and damage penalty reduction lets Windranger hit much harder, more frequently, and allows her to fill the role of a carry.
- Nimbus gives Zeus a second global ability, and also provides continuous vision, allowing Zeus to aid his allies from any point on the map in addition to the burst damage from Thundergod's Wrath.
- Alchemist does not need Aghanim's Scepter for himself, but can farm one for his teammates when needed.
- A non-carry Night Stalker's flying vision from the Scepter is great for initiating teamfight, pushing highground and dewarding the map with a Gem of True Sight.
- Nyx Assassin's Burrow makes him more viable in the late game, but he usually needs other items (like Blink Dagger or Dagon) first. It is a must-have item for him in the late-game though, as it heavily increases his teamfight presence, and helps him greatly in defending buildings.
- Tinker can be quite intimidating with upgraded Heat-Seeking Missiles and Laser, but should still prioritize Boots of Travel and Blink Dagger first.
- Treant Protector's extra vision with Eyes In The Forest is always worth it, but can be difficult for him to afford.
While many supports become more powerful with Aghanim's Scepter, most should still focus primarily on buying support items, with Aghanim's Scepter as a luxury option if they have enough gold.
- Aghanim's Scepter is named after Agahnim, one of the main villains in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
- Rubick is the son of Aghanim. He also possesses an imitation of Aghanim's Scepter.