- 's slow component can be applied multiple times from several sources, effectively ignoring Aphotic Shield's debuff removal.
- 's damage component can easily overwhelm Aphotic Shield's damage block.
- 's debuff prevents Abaddon from healing during Borrowed Time.
's debuff also discourages use of Mist Coil:
- Mist Coil's self-damage component is more likely to aid in Abaddon's death.
- Mist Coil's heal component is completely negated on allies affected by .
- will force Abaddon to level Aphotic Shield, therefore denying the strong level 1 Mist Coil.
- cannot be dispelled.
- Abaddon has no way to deal with Axe during the laning phase.
- Culling Blade can finish off low health enemies regardless of Abaddon's shield.
- Silencing Axe is not going to be useful once he gains some levels of during the laning phase.
- With a , Abaddon's shield will immediately get destroyed in multiple situations.
- can use on Abaddon when he activates Borrowed Time, wasting its duration.
- and hinder Abaddon from applying Curse of Avernus' silence on him.
- will make Abaddon unable to use Mist Coil, Aphotic Shield, and the active component of Borrowed Time, which means his allies could be easily disabled or killed. When Doom obtains an , the situation becomes worse, lengthening the duration while additionally disabling Curse of Avernus and Borrowed Time's passive component (Borrowed Time can't be triggered at all).
- Abaddon can keep heroes under the effects of alive but he cannot stop them from being silenced and muted.
- Lina is a common carrier which can waste some duration of Borrowed Time and following up with in timed correctly.
- Similarly to Axe, Abaddon has no way to stop Mars from using his spells during the laning stage effectively.
- It's very hard to save people from because of how big the aoe of the spell is.
- Mars can stun Abaddon himself for a long time with .
- Abaddon has to be careful spamming Mist Coil on level 1, because Spear of Mars might snipe him.
- wastes Borrowed Time's duration.
- Outworld Devourer's superior intelligence and intelligence steal from can easily set Abaddon up for an easy , which could kill Abaddon before Borrowed Time triggers. If it does trigger, he can continue stealing your intelligence during your ultimate, dropping it down to 0 eventually.
- will take Abaddon out of a fight and stop him from contributing during it.
- can cause Abaddon trouble if he keeps casting his spells to keep his allies alive.
- is especially effective during the laning stage to force Abaddon to immediately start using up his mana pool and not allowing him to take advantage of Mist Coils high level 1 damage output potential.
- can be casted on Abaddon during fights so he has to decide between being silenced and debuffing/healing an ally, or debuffing himself and potentially wasting his Aphotic Shield.
- Shadow Demon with an silence, Borrowed Time will not trigger at all. will use to disable Curse of Avernus and the passive component of Borrowed Time. If this is combined with a
- Even without , he can still waste Borrowed Time with .
- Heroes that have long silences, such as and , will prevent Abaddon from saving his allies effectively and disable the active component of Borrowed Time.
- might not kill Abaddon with his nuke, but a support Abaddon will struggle to protect an ally from him.
- and make a supporting Abaddon useless at crucial moments.
- wastes some duration of Borrowed Time.
- silence, Borrowed Time will not trigger at all. disables Curse of Avernus and Borrowed Time's passive component. When used in combination with , , or another
- and can kill Abaddon before he uses Borrowed Time, forcing him to cast it manually.
- decreases the amount of healing from Borrowed Time.
- will continuously heal Abaddon under Borrowed Time, and cannot be turned off but can change targets.
- can be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- and can be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- , , and can all instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- will continuously heal Abaddon under Borrowed Time.
- can be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- Aphotic Shield can nullify Chen's combo, while clearing Chen's creeps simultaneously.
- Aphotic Shield makes it less likely for allies to be killed by mines.
- Because they explode in very short intervals, a stack of Break. will always trigger Borrowed Time, making them impossible to kill Abaddon unless his resistances are lowered enough or Abaddon is affected by
- Abaddon can easily dispel the long-lasting root of on himself and on an ally, while at the same also providing protection against the other mines' damage.
- If is used on Abaddon, Abaddon can use Borrowed Time and easily heal for the duration of Borrowed Time by just moving.
- If he isn't silenced, Abaddon can use Borrowed Time to escape during the delay.
- In general, heroes that deal burst in multiple instances will trigger Borrowed Time and heal Abaddon for a large amount, like , , , , or .
- Heroes that have good lane harrass and disable are easily beaten by Abaddon's Mist Coil spam on level 1: ,
- Heroes that need to farm in the early game are easy subjects to harrass of Mist Coil: ,
- Heroes that deal damage over time will also fail to bring down Abaddon and his allies like , , or .
- By simply using Aphotic Shield, Abaddon can easily save his allies from Heroes that apply long disables like or .
- Both 's and 's have a 0.25 second delay before the damage is dealt. However, since you are constantly spamming your abilities, it is very unlikely you will be instantly killed by either of these abilities.
- Abaddon's constant heals and protection can save himself and his allies from burst-focused Heroes like , , and .
- Abaddon can be fairly good against teams with single target potential, since either targeting him or any of his allies will always open space for a counter measure with Borrowed Time and Aphotic Shield.
Works well with...
- Aphotic Shield makes Storm Spirit even tankier during initiations, and the explosion adds damage to his ability combos during single hero ganks.
- Phantom Assassin can easily burst down a target with the explosion damage from Aphotic Shield, and will greatly benefit from Curse of Avernus's attack speed boost.
- Unit under will have increased healing factor.
- Abaddon can effectively protect Axe with Mist Coil and Aphotic Shield as Axe uses a into the enemies lines, and can make a great combo with Aphotic Shield, as units are forced to attack Axe, making it easy for the shield explode.
- Another hero that can force the enemy to attack her, Legion Commander can get quick duel pick-offs with the help of the exploding Aphotic Shield and help her secure the damage from .
- If Aphotic Shield is cast on Centaur Warrunner, it will absorb some of the self-inflicting damage of and cause the shield to explode. Not only does this reduce the damage centaur takes but a combination of and can do a high amount of burst damage when combined with an Aphotic Shield explosion.
- can be used to trigger Aphotic Shield's explosion or Borrowed Time if Abaddon is disabled. Additionally, casting on Abaddon under the effects of Borrowed Time gives Abaddon both a burst heal and a heal over time.
- The heals from and Mist Coil, both of which are doubled under , combined with the dispels on and Aphotic Shield can keep an allied hero alive almost indefinitely.
- Curse of Avernus can greatly assist pushing towers and other structures, making Abaddon work well with Heroes like .
- In general, any hero that blinks into enemies lines will benefit greatly from Aphotic Shield.
- Any Hero with a heal can work with Abaddon to make a team very hard to kill.
- Abaddon's saves can enable squishy heroes like and in teamfights.
- Heroes with high armor will get the most value out of Mist Coil and Aphotic Shield.
- Heroes that are normally kited with slows or disables like will benefit greatly from Aphotic Shield and Curse of Avernus.
- users may have just enough time to use it as Aphotic Shield is absorbing damage.