From Dota 2 Wiki
|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Bad against...Ancient Apparition
- Ice Blast's debuff prevents Abaddon from healing during Borrowed Time.
- Doom will make Abaddon unable to use Mist Coil, Aphotic Shield, and the active component of Borrowed Time, which means his allies could be easily disabled or killed. When Doom obtains an Aghanim's Scepter, the situation becomes worse, lengthening the duration while additionally disabling Curse of Avernus and Borrowed Time's passive component (Borrowed Time can't be triggered at all).
- Laguna Blade can kill Abaddon before Borrowed Time triggers.
- Finger of Death can kill Abaddon before Borrowed Time triggers.
- Lion can also use Hex to prevent Abaddon from manually activating borrowed time.
- Outworld Devourer can use Astral Imprisonment to waste Borrowed Time's duration.
- Outworld Devourer's superior intelligence and intelligence steal from Arcane Orb can easily set Abaddon up for an easy Sanity's Eclipse, which could kill Abaddon before Borrowed Time triggers. If it does trigger, he can continue stealing your intelligence during your ultimate, dropping it down to 0 eventually.
- Shadow Demon with an Aghanim's Scepter will use Demonic Purge to disable Curse of Avernus and the passive component of Borrowed Time. If this is combined with a silence, Borrowed Time will not trigger at all.
- Even without Aghanim's Scepter, he can still waste Borrowed Time with Disruption.
- Slark will be happy to attack you during Borrowed Time as Essence Shift will make him stronger and stronger even while he heals you.
- Abaddon has no tools to catch Slark.
- Tombstone zombies will trigger Borrowed Time, but won't do enough damage to greatly heal Abaddon.
- Decay makes Abaddon significantly less tanky.
- Heroes that have long silences, such as Night Stalker and Silencer, will prevent Abaddon from saving his allies effectively and disable the active component of Borrowed Time.
- Nyx Assassin might not kill Abaddon with his nuke, but a support Abaddon will struggle to protect an ally from him.
- Orchid Malevolence and Bloodthorn make a supporting Abaddon useless at crucial moments.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity wastes some duration of Borrowed Time.
- Silver Edge disables Curse of Avernus and Borrowed Time's passive component. When used in combination with Orchid Malevolence, Bloodthorn, or another silence, Borrowed Time will not trigger at all.
- Dagon and Ethereal Blade can kill Abaddon before he uses Borrowed Time, forcing him to cast it manually.
Good against...Death Prophet
- Exorcism will continuously heal Abaddon under Borrowed Time, and cannot be turned off.
- Sacred Arrow can be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- Sticky Napalm, Flaming Lasso, and Flamebreak can all instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- Firefly will continuously heal Abaddon under Borrowed Time.
- Primal Roar can be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield.
- Abaddon's Aphotic Shield can nullify Chen's combo, while clearing Chen's creeps simultaneously.
- Aphotic Shield makes it less likely for allies to be killed by mines.
- Because they explode in very short intervals, a stack of Remote Mines will always trigger Borrowed Time, making them impossible to kill Abaddon unless his resistances are lowered enough or Abaddon is affected by Break.
- Abaddon can easily dispel the long-lasting root of Stasis Trap on himself and on an ally, while at the same also providing protection against the other mines' damage.
- If Rupture is used on Abaddon, Abaddon can use Borrowed Time and easily heal for the duration of Borrowed Time by just moving.
- In general, heroes that deal burst in multiple instances will trigger Borrowed Time and heal Abaddon for a large amount, like Skywrath Mage, Techies, Juggernaut, Shadow Shaman, or Ogre Magi.
- Heroes that deal damage over time will also fail to bring down Abaddon and his allies like Huskar, Venomancer, or Phoenix.
- By simply using Aphotic Shield, Abaddon can easily save his allies from Heroes that apply long disables like Lion or Shadow Shaman.
- Both Lion's Finger of Death and Lina's Laguna Blade have a 0.25 second delay before the damage is dealt. An Abaddon with a fast reaction time can avoid the damage by using Borrowed Time as long as Abaddon isn't silenced.
- Abaddon's constant heals and protection can save himself and his allies from burst-focused Heroes like Legion Commander, Faceless Void, and Pudge.
- Abaddon can be fairly good against teams with single target potential, since either targeting him or any of his allies will always open space for a counter measure with Borrowed Time and Aphotic Shield.
Works well with...Storm Spirit
- Aphotic Shield makes Storm Spirit even tankier during initiations, and the explosion adds damage to his ability combos during single hero ganks.
- Phantom Assassin can easily burst down a target with the explosion damage from Aphotic Shield, and will grealty benefit from Curse of Avernus's attack speed boost.
- Mist Coil will cover Io's health loss as Overcharge is actived. Also, the unit under Tether will have increased healing factor.
- Being one of his counters, Axe also works really well with Abaddon. Abaddon can effectively protect Axe with Mist Coil and Aphotic Shield as Axe blinks into the enemies lines, and Berserker's Call can make a great combo with Aphotic Shield, as units are forced to attack Axe, making it easy for the shield explode.
- Another hero that can force the enemy to attack her, Legion Commander can get quick duel pick-offs with the help of the exploding Aphotic Shield and help her secure the damage from Duel.
- If Aphotic Shield is cast on Centaur Warrunner, it will absorb some of the self-inflicting damage of Double Edge and cause the shield to explode. Not only does this reduce the damage centaur takes but a combination of Hoof Stomp and Double Edge can do a high amount of burst damage when combined with an Aphotic Shield explosion.
- Purifying Flames can be used to trigger Aphotic Shield's explosion or Borrowed Time if Abaddon is disabled. Additionally, casting Purifying Flames on Abaddon under the effects of Borrowed Time gives Abaddon both a burst heal and a heal over time.
- The heals from Purifying Flames and Mist Coil, both of which are doubled under False Promise, combined with the dispels on Fortune's End and Aphotic Shield can keep an allied hero alive almost indefinitely.
- Curse of Avernus can greatly assist pushing towers and other structures, making Abaddon work well with Heroes like Lone Druid.
- In general, any hero that blinks into enemies lines will benefit greatly from Aphotic Shield.
- Any Hero with a heal can work with Abaddon to make a team very hard to kill.
- Abaddon's saves can enable squishy heroes like Sniper and Necrophos in teamfights.
- Heroes with high armor will get the most value out of Mist Coil and Aphotic Shield.
- Heroes that are normally kited with slows or disables like Sven will benefit greatly from Aphotic Shield and Curse of Avernus.