Lyralei the Windrunner is a ranged intelligence hero that uses her powerful abilities in conjunction with her physical attack to take down enemies. Despite being an intelligence Hero, Windrunner's playstyle resembles an agility Hero, due in large part to her skillset. Windrunner is most often played as an offlane solo due to her escape and long range harass and farm capability, however she is quite a versatile hero and can be fielded as a midlaner, roamer, lane support, or even carry if the game calls for it. She is famous for her immense utility and versatility, and as such is one of the most common picks of professional players.
| Lyralei, the Windrunner
| Play "Here, have an arrow. No, in fact, have two."
|| Carry / Support / Disabler / Escape / Nuker
|| The western forests guard their secrets well. One of these is Lyralei, master archer of the wood, and favored godchild of the wind. Known now as Windrunner, Lyralei's family was killed in a storm on the night of her birth—-their house blown down by the gale, contents scattered to the winds. Only the newborn survived among the debris field of death and destruction. In the quiet after the storm, the wind itself took notice of the lucky infant crying in the grass. The wind pitied the child and so lifted her into the sky and deposited her on a doorstep in a neighboring village. In the years that followed, the wind returned occasionally to the child’s life, watching from a distance while she honed her skills. Now, after many years of training, Windrunner fires her arrows true to their targets. She moves with blinding speed, as if hastened by a wind ever at her back. With a flurry of arrows, she slaughters her enemies, having become, nearly, a force of nature herself.
|| Jen Taylor (Responses)
- This spell can shackle two enemies together, stunning them both.
- Trees created by Nature's Prophet's Sprout spell are valid targets for shackling.
- Can shackle the target to an enemy or tree up to 525/500 units behind it.
- The arrow initially moves at a rate of 3000 units per second.
- The arrow is slowed a little each time it hits an enemy or a tree.
- This spell destroys trees.
- This ability has a short channeling time. If canceled before Lyralei finishes channeling, the arrow will deal less damage.
- Projectiles that began tracking Windrunner before this ability was activated will not be evaded.
- The damage reduction affects all damage from Lyralei while the spell is active, including alternate damage such as unique attack modifiers.
- Can target buildings and magic immune units.
Early consumables are essential early game due to the Windrunner's low hp and high cost of spells. Don't be afraid of grabbing more consumables via courier as early game as Windrunner relies on her abilities quite heavily early on. Grabbing a couple of Mantle of Intelligence
also provide Windrunner with some passive Mana regen, as well as extra damage.
A Magic Stick or Wand is helpful in sticky situations as they allow Windrunner to instantly regain some HP if ganked, or provide enough mana for one last Powershot/Shackleshot.
Getting Boots will allow Windrunner to position her Shackleshot/Powershot better, allowing for an easier gank.
Late game a Scythe of Vyse/Orchid Malevolence will give Windrunner an extra disable, which in combination with a good shackle will allow Windrunner to be able to isolate important targets, allowing your teammates to kill them.
If you're finding that as Windrunner, you're getting focused down a lot, grabbing a Chainmail
or even Black King Bar
will greatly improve Windrunner's survivability
- If you must solo a lane, take Windrun before anything else. This will give you a reliable escape if you are being ganked early.
- Power Shot should always be maxed before anything else, as it is a very powerful nuke early-game. One point in Shackle Shot and Windrun are usually sufficient. Keep in mind Power Shot damages invisible heroes, so if you know where they are do not hesitate to use it. Late-game Power Shot can be used in the same way as Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror; as an exploratory long-range spell.
- Shackle Shot's ministun is extremely useful for interrupting channelled spells, such as Bane's and Pudge's ultimates.
- Early-game, unless circumstances are unusual, always save enough mana to Windrun when you are in dangerous territory.
- Not leveling up Focus Fire until 10 and 11 allows you to max your other skills faster; besides which unless you build into it (see below) Focus Fire is not very useful outside of dealing siege damage.
- Despite being an escape mechanism, Windrun is potentially a very powerful "tanking" spell, as it allows total damage immunity to heroes reliant on their physical attack, such as Ursa and Drow Ranger.
- Building an Aghanim's Scepter with a powerful attack modifier can shift Windrunner's role from supportive chaser/nuker to that of a semi-carry; as it will allow her to scale. However, building a scepter without an attack modifier is not very useful, and Windrunner can function very well with attack modifiers even without building a scepter. Build an attack modifier first, then choose whether or not to build scepter.
- Very unusually for a non-carry intelligence hero, Windrunner's basic attack becomes her primary source of damage as the game progresses, owing to her largely utilitarian skillset. If the role of support is already being covered, focusing on items that empower her basic attack is a good idea.
- Windrunner's original name was Alleria, a reference to the Alleria Windrunner from the Warcraft universe.
- Windrunner's current name, Lyralei, is a partial anagram of Alleria (one of the A's was replaced with the Y).
September 13, 2012 Patch
August 09, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated Windrunner hero icon to reflect her texture changes.
August 02, 2012 Patch
- Windrunner polished textures and updated hero selection portrait.
June 20, 2012 Patch
- Updated Aghanim's Scepter tooltips for Beastmaster, Necrolyte, Queen of Pain, Warlock, and Windrunner.
April 26, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed being able to Shackleshot onto Ancients/Roshan.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Updated Windrunner's hero selection portrait.
January 19, 2012 Patch
December 01, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Powershot killing Couriers.
- Fixed Windrunner not playing her Focus Fire run animation.
November 17, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
November 10, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Windrunner's bowstring disappearing when she died.
September 09, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Shackleshot being dodgeable.
- Powershot now properly gives 3.34 seconds of vision at its end location.
August 06, 2011 Patch
- Fixed enemy team being able to hear Windrunner's charge sound effect.
August 02, 2011 Patch
July 08, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Shackleshot projectile hit not providing vision.
- Fixed Focus Fire interaction with magic immunity.
May 26, 2011 Patch
- Added projectile vision to Windrunner's Powershot and Lich's Chain Frost.
May 20, 2011 Patch
- Added new in-progress models for Lina, Drow, Windrunner.
March 12, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Focus Fire not working versus magic immune.
- Fixed Powershot requiring too much time to read full damage.
February 19, 2011 Patch
- Changed Windrunner's Shackleshot to prioritize direction over distance when finding an attach target. Also better tracks the direction of the projectile.
February 12, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Powershot tree destruction aoe being twice as big as it should.
January 30, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
January 22, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Windrunner's Shackleshot's target-gather angle, and it will now select the closest valid attach target.
- Fixed Windrunner not firing off an arrow when she releases Powershot before the channel is completed.
- ↑ http://www.wowwiki.com/Alleria_Windrunner