19 + 2.3
11 + 1.2
20 + 2.7
Zeus the Lord of Heaven is a ranged intelligence Hero who functions almost solely as a nuker. He is usually played as a semi-carry ganker type hero, who instead of utilizing disables, focuses solely on delivering tremendous amounts of magical damage to his foes. With the high cast range and low cooldown on his spells, he is able to deliver the most superb and consistent magical damage of any hero in the game. Arc Lightning is a highly spammable nuke that creates a stream of lightning that bounces between enemy foes (up to fifteen times at max level), dealing minor damage. Lightning Bolt is more focused, dealing heavy damage to a single target, also on a very low cooldown. Static Field is a potent passive ability that allows Zeus's magical damage to scale into late game, dealing damage to all enemies within a decent AoE equal to a certain percentage of nearby targets' health whenever he casts a spell. Finally, his ultimate Thundergod's Wrath allows him to strike all enemy heroes with a bolt of lightning, no matter their position, inflicting heavy damage. It can be used for multiple purposes: to finish off low-health enemy heroes limping away, to soften up the entire enemy team during a teamfight, or even to scout out the enemy's position. With the ability to strike down enemies both near and afar, the Lord of Heaven ensures that nobody can escape his wrath.
| Zeus, the Lord of Heaven
| Play "Immortality was overrated. This is much more interesting."
|| Nuker / Support
|| Lord of Heaven, father of gods, Zeus treats all the Heroes as if they are his rambunctious, rebellious children. After being caught unnumbered times in the midst of trysts with countless mortal women, his divine wife finally gave him an ultimatum: 'If you love mortals so much, go and become one. If you can prove yourself faithful, then return to me as my immortal husband. Otherwise, go and die among your creatures.' Zeus found her logic (and her magic) irrefutable, and agreed to her plan. He has been on his best behavior ever since, being somewhat fonder of immortality than he is of mortals. But to prove himself worthy of his eternal spouse, he must continue to pursue victory on the field of battle.
|| Eric Newsome (Responses)
- The lightning bounces in 0.25 second intervals. So hitting all targets takes 1.25/1.75/2.25/3.75 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit twice per cast.
- All bounces together can deal up to 425/700/1035/2175 damage (before reductions).
- The mini-stun lasts for 0.1 seconds.
- When cast on the ground with no heroes within 375 radius, it still provides the 750 range flying vision and True Sight.
- When targeting a unit, the vision and True Sight is provided at its position upon cast. The vision is stationary and does not follow the unit.
- However, When the ground is targeted but the bolt hits a hero, it provides the vision at the targeted point, and not around the hero it found within the search radius.
- The flying vision and true sight last for 4.5 seconds, though the true sight is provided by an aura from which the effects linger for 0.5 seconds.
- In order to hit a non-hero unit, it must be directly targeted.
- Plays some lightning particles and a sound effect during the cast time, which are visible and audible to everyone.
- Applies its damage before the triggering spell's damage is applied.
- This is how much spell casts are required to bring units down to a certain health percentage (assuming damage before reductions and cast spells deal no damage):
- 75% Health: 6/4/3/3 casts
- 50% Health: 14/10/7/6 casts
- 25% Health: 25/19/15/12 casts
- 5% Health: 58/41/31/26 casts
- The flying vision and true sight last for 3 seconds, though the true sight is provided by an aura from which the effects linger for 0.5 seconds.
- Thundergod's Wrath first applies the damage on every hero (if possible), and then applies the vision around every enemy hero. So it cannot damage invisible heroes.
- Hitting all 5 enemies collectively deals 1125/1750/2375 (2200/2700/3200*) damage (before reductions).
- Plays a visual and sound effects during the cast time, which is visible and audible to everyone.
- The sound upon cast is global. Enemies can hear it when they have vision over Zeus. Else they'll only hear the local hit sound.
- Shifts the lighting of the whole map for a split second as another indicator of it being cast.
- A Tango and a Healing Salve are taken for the good HP regeneration.
- Three Clarities will make your spells more spammable, since Zeus is very mana dependent.
- An Iron Branch and a Circlet will give you more attributes, helping you with survivability and mana management.
- Boots of Speed will make you faster, allowing for easier escapes and a better time catching up to enemy heroes.
- Bottle allows for lane control and sustainability through runes and crowing.
- Null Talisman will give more intelligence, allowing for a larger mana pool and more damage, as well as bonus attributes to help with survivability.
- Arcane Boots are used to help sustain Zeus' high rate of spell casting and give him the mana pool necessary to remain relevant in longer engagements.
- Veil of Discord provides a useful amplification of your magical damage dealt to any enemy caught in its blast. In addition to this, the 6 armor bonus helps mitigate the impact of Zeus' poor base armor, allowing him to survive longer against heavy physical damage lineups.
- Aghanim's Scepter will make your ultimate deal more damage and gives good bonuses to his attributes.
- Refresher Orb is used to activate your Thundergod's Wrath twice if you have sufficient mana pool.
- Scythe of Vyse helps in many situations, and can be used to make an enemy helpless; it also gives a nice boost to your mana pool.
- Bloodstone grants more health and more mana, which are very needed for Zeus. The more kills you do, the more mana regeneration you'll have.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a good utility item: it gives more mana regeneration, a bit more of speed and a good ability to incapacitate enemy Heroes.
- In the laning phase if you are playing a mid or off lane solo Zeus, Arc Lightning can substitute for your normal attack to get last hits due to its low cool down and long range, helping you stay out of harm's way given that Zeus's own attack animation, damage and range is rather meager early on. An early bottle and/or Arcane Boots help you maintain your mana to get last hits consistently.
- In most cases Zeus's optimal skill leveling is getting one point in Arc Lightning early on for last hitting/harassing and then maxing out Lightning Bolt and Static Field as they increase your damage output by a great deal. Level your ultimate whenever possible.
- Always use Lightning Bolt before Arc Lightning so you may not lose your opponent in the fog.
- Always watch your positioning as Lightning Bolt and Arc Lightning have relatively long ranges, and Thundergod's Wrath has global range. Often, there is no reason to be up close in battle unless you are chasing down heroes; and Zeus' fragility compounds this.
- When trying to kill low hp heroes (low, but not low enough for Ultimate only) in hard to navigate areas use Thundergod's Wrath to gain vision of your enemy so you can Lightning Bolt them to death.
- During team fights, use all of Zeus's spells (including his ultimate) as soon as possible to make the best use of his passive. Static Field is based on the percentage of current health, not maximum health, so it will do more damage to heroes at full HP. If you wait for the enemy team's health to go down before using Thundergod's Wrath, then Static Field will not do as much damage as it could have.
- Remember that Lightning Bolt and Thundergod's Wrath provide true sight. Don't be afraid to use your ultimate or cast Lightning Bolt where you think they may be if you believe an invisible enemy may be sneaking up on you or attempting to escape; if an enemy is invisible in a team fight make sure to cast Lightning Bolt before casting Thundergod's Wrath so that the granted true sight allows your ultimate to damage the invisible target.
- Thundergod's Wrath can have a good synergy with Bloodseeker's Thirst, since it reveal any heroes that has a low health, so Zeus will simply ulti them to get a kill(s).
These tips were taken from this guide written by the famous Zeus player Merlini.
- While skipping most of your core items to get Aghanim's Scepter and Refresher Orb earlier is a good idea to deal a lot of damage in a short time, it has many downsides. First of all, it will use most (if not all) of your mana, making you really weak and not very useful for a good amount of time. Second, if you don't have items which can increase your mana pool enough to cast your combo (Shiva's Guard, Rod of Atos, Bloodstone, Scythe of Vyse...) you may find yourself without mana even after using your Refresher Orb. Third, you will lack a very needed HP boost or an escape mechanism; this means that you'll be rather squishy and a lot of Heroes could kill you with just a stun and some damage. Fourth, you will probably kill a lot of Heroes, but your carry should do that. Zeus scales well into the late game thanks to his passive ability, but carries are far more useful than Zeus at dealing a reliable amount of damage in the late game. You shouldn't be killing anymore.
- Thundergod's Wrath should only be used to acquire a kill if your carry is unable to attain it himself. In most encounters, it should be used early in the fight to make things easier for one's team.
- In late game, Refresher Orb is a better item than scepter as it will allow Zeus to use his spells more often, which owing to his scaling passive is more important than stronger ultimate damage. Using your three spells with a scepter in late game will deal less damage than using your three spells, then refreshing them and using them again. However, Refresher Orb provides you with no survivability, so if you need to be more tanky and durable Aghanim's Scepter is the best choice, since it gives both health and Strength, as well as a boost to other useful attributes. Furthermore, using a Refresher Orb will drain a lot of mana, making you unable to cast your abilities if used carelessly.
- Because Lightning Bolt offers 4.5 seconds of true sight and flying vision, you can cast it on the ground near cliff-sides or other popular warding areas to check for wards or de-ward without actually purchasing sentry wards.
- Considering the 25% magic resistance most heroes have by default, Thundergod's Wrath effectively deals 168.75/262.5/356.25 (330/405/480*) damage, provided they have no other source of magic damage reduction.
- Be careful to not kill steal with your ultimate especially from a carry in your team.
- Zeus is based on the Greek mythological god of the same name.
- As suggested by the game's files, Zeus's name was, at one time, Zuus. The reason why is unknown.
- Zeus' alternate/fun name in DotA was "Merlini", a tribute to a professional DotA player.
- Zeus' title in DotA was "Lord of Olympus".
- Static Field is most likely a reference to the Sorceress' skill of the same name in Diablo II. In Diablo II, the spell also reduced enemies' HP by a percentage within a short radius.
- Zeus' respawn line Play "To err is human. To respawn, divine." is a reference to Alexander Pope, whose quote is "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
- Zeus' rival line towards Chen, Play " Keep in mind, Chen, Godliness is next to deadliness." is a reference to an old and well-known saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness."
June 20, 2013 Patch
- Updates and minor revisions to some Zeus, Alchemist, and Pugna ability SFX.
February 28, 2013 Patch
March 08, 2012 Patch
- Added rival taunts and misc. lines to Razor, Zeus, Tiny and Tidehunter to fill out basic voice set.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Lightning Bolt's aoe truesight not revealing wards.
November 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a bug with spamming Arc Lightning quickly while there is another one still bouncing (only happens for very large amount of units).
September 29, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cast fx/sounds being spammable on Shadow Fiend/Zeus ultimates.
September 09, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Zeus's ultimate sometimes hitting invis heroes.
July 29, 2011 Patch
- Static Field now refreshes properly when leveled up.
- Fixed incorrect vision range from Lightning Bolt.
June 24, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Zeus's Arc Lightning to correctly jump to the nearest unit.
- Fixed Zeus's Wrath hitting illusions.
May 20, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Zeus's Arc Lightning so that it no longer bounces to invisible units or units in the fog of war.
March 22, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Thundergod's Wrath and Lightning Bolt not granting truesight in the affected area.
February 12, 2011 Patch
- Updated Omnislash and Lightning Bolt tooltips to indicate that they ministun.
- Static Field no longer damages creeps.
February 09, 2011 Patch
- Thundergod's Wrath
- Reduced vision radius from 1000 to 500.
- Fixed sometimes hitting invisible units depending on the order of player slots.
- Increased strength gain from 1.8 to 2.3.
- Arc Lightning
- Reduced cooldown from 2.25 to 2.
- Reduced manacost from 65/72/79/87 to 65/70/75/80.
- Reduced base agility and gain from 15 + 1.7 to 11 + 1.2.
- Fixed Static Field having a minor effect even without having it learned.
- Old Static Field:
- Instantly shocks all nearby enemy units for a percentage of their current hitpoints as damage.
- Radius: 400
- Current health as damage: 7%/9%/11%/13% (HP removal)
- Manacost: 20
- Cooldown: 0
- Notes: Active ability. Does not affect sleeping enemy units.
- New Static Field:
- Whenever Zeus casts a spell, he shocks all nearby enemy heroes for a percentage of their current hit points as damage.
- Radius: 500
- Current health as damage: 5%/7%/9%/11% (magical)
- Notes: Passive ability, activates whenever Zeus casts a spell. Only affects heroes.
- Lightning Bolt
- Increased cast range from 600 to 700.
- Reduced manacost from 75/95/115/160 to 75/95/115/135
- Reduced cooldown from 8 to 7.