Zeus, the Lord of Heaven, is a ranged intelligence hero who functions almost solely as a nuker. He is usually played as a semi-carry ganker type hero, who instead of utilizing disables, focuses solely on delivering tremendous amounts of magical damage to his foes. With the high cast range and low cooldown on his spells, he is able to deliver the most superb and consistent magical damage of any hero in the game. Arc Lightning is a highly spammable nuke that creates a stream of lightning that bounces between enemy foes (up to fifteen times at max level), dealing minor damage. Lightning Bolt is more focused, dealing heavy damage to a single target, also on a very low cooldown. Static Field is a potent passive ability that allows Zeus's magical damage to scale into late game, dealing damage to all enemies within a decent AoE equal to a certain percentage of nearby targets' health whenever he casts a spell. Finally, his ultimate Thundergod's Wrath allows him to strike all enemy heroes with a bolt of lightning, no matter their position, inflicting heavy damage. It can be used for multiple purposes: to finish off low-health enemy heroes limping away, to soften up the entire enemy team during a teamfight, or even to scout out the enemy's position. With the ability to strike down enemies both near and afar, the Lord of Heaven ensures that nobody can escape his wrath.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- The lightning bounces in 0.25 second intervals. So hitting all targets takes 1.25/1.75/2.25/3.75 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit twice per cast.
- All bounces together can deal up to 425/700/1035/2175 damage (before reductions).
- The Arc Lightning buff is a hidden buff required for the lightning to jump.
- When cast on the ground with no heroes within 375 radius, it still provides the 750 range flying vision and True Sight.
- When targeting a unit, vision and True Sight are provided at its position upon cast. The vision is stationary, it does not follow the unit.
- However, When the ground is targeted but the bolt hits a hero, the vision is centered on the targeted point, not the found hero.
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 4.5 seconds. The True Sight is provided by an aura, and its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Searches for enemy heroes, illusions and creep-heroes when targeting ground. Whichever is the closest gets hit.
- When targeting the ground, it can hit an enemy hero up to 1075 range away (700 cast range + 375 search radius).
- In order to hit a non-hero unit, it must be directly targeted.
- Plays some lightning particles and a sound effect during the cast time, which are visible and audible to everyone.
- The damage from Static Field is flagged as HP Removal, so it does not trigger any on-damage effects.
- Applies its damage before the triggering spell's damage is applied.
- Static Field does not trigger on active item abilities.
- Does not affect Roshan.
- This is how many casts are required to bring units from full health down to a certain health percentage with Static Field alone (before reductions):
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 3 seconds. The True Sight is provided by an aura, and its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Thundergod's Wrath first applies the damage on every hero (if possible), and then applies the vision around every enemy hero.
- This means it cannot damage invisible units, unless they are already revealed by another source of True Sight.
- Hitting all 5 enemies collectively deals 1125/1750/2125 damage (before reductions).
- Plays a visual and sound effects during the cast time, which is visible and audible to everyone.
- The sound upon cast is global. Enemies can hear it when they have vision over Zeus. Else they can only hear the local hit sound.
- Shifts the lighting of the whole map for a split second as another indicator of it being cast.
- Once purchased, Zeus cannot drop or sell his Aghanim's Scepter.
- Requires Aghanim's Scepter to be unlocked.
- Casts regular Lightning Bolts on the closest valid enemy target, based on Lightning Bolt's current level.
- This means it also applies the mini-stun and provides vision and True Sight around the target.
- It also means that that the Nimbus does nothing if Lightning Bolt is not learned.
- The damage source is the Nimbus itself, meaning certain on-damage effects react on the Nimbus rather than on Zeus (e.g. Blade Mail).
- The base interval of the Lightning Bolts is affected by percentage-based cooldown reductions ( Octarine Core and Arcane Rune).
- Starts striking immediately upon cast if an enemy is within the area.
- Also strikes immediately when the last strike was longer than an interval ago and an enemy enters the area.
- Can strike up to 18 times over its full duration, considering default strike interval.
- Does not require vision over the targets. The Nimbus can strike invisible units and units inside the Fog of War.
- The visual effects on the ground which mark the area of effect are visible to everyone.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+1.5% Static Field Damage||25||+200 Cast Range|
|-40s Respawn Time||20||+35 Movement Speed|
|+10% Magic Resistance||15||+5 Armor|
|+175 Health||10||+2 Mana Regen|
- The mana regen is added as a bonus and does not benefit illusions.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The armor is added as bonus armor, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango and a Healing Salve are taken for the good HP regeneration.
- Three Clarity will make your spells more spammable, since Zeus is very mana dependent.
- An Iron Branch and a Circlet will give you more attributes, helping you with survivability and mana management.
- Boots of Speed will make you faster, allowing for easier escapes and a better time catching up to enemy heroes.
- Bottle allows for lane control and sustainability through runes and crowing. Getting it early helps you to maintain your mana to get last hits consistently.
- Null Talisman will give more intelligence, allowing for a larger mana pool and more damage, as well as bonus attributes to help with survivability.
- Arcane Boots are used to help sustain Zeus' high rate of spell casting and give him the mana pool necessary to remain relevant in longer engagements. It can also be later disassembled to use the energy booster in another item, and eventually upgraded into BoT.
- Veil of Discord provides a useful amplification of your magical damage dealt to any enemy caught in its blast. In addition to this, the 6 armor bonus helps mitigate the impact of Zeus' poor base armor, allowing him to survive longer against heavy physical damage lineups.
- Aether Lens makes you better at your job by dealing lots of magical damage from as far back as possible.
- Aghanim's Scepter will grant you a new charge based ability Nimbus, which further expands your global presence. If you need to be more tanky and durable Aghanim's Scepter is a better choice than Refresher Orb, since it gives both health and Strength. Note: with Refresher Orb, you can potentially spawn up to four Nimbuses at the same time.
- Refresher Orb is used to activate your Thundergod's Wrath twice if you have sufficient mana pool. In late game Refresher Orb is a better item than scepter as it will allow Zeus to use his spells more often, triggering his passive and potentially doing more damage than the Nimbus would. Using a Refresher Orb will drain a lot of mana, making you unable to cast your abilities if used carelessly.
- Scythe of Vyse helps in many situations, and can be used to make an enemy helpless; it also gives a nice boost to your mana pool.
- Bloodstone grants more health and more mana, which are very needed for Zeus. The more kills you do, the more mana regeneration you get.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a good utility item: it gives more mana regeneration, a bit more of speed and a good ability to incapacitate enemy Heroes.
- Octarine Core is a nice addition to Zeus' inventory as most of his damage output will be from his spells, which means that he will be healed for 25% of all spell and item damage that he inflicts. The lower cooldown of his ultimate will also be appreciated by Zeus players, especially for global scouting. His DPS in teamfights will also raise dramatically, as the lower cooldown on his nukes allow him to trigger his passive more often.
- Soul Ring can help with early mana issues, easing jungling and can be used to make a Bloodstone later.
- Force Staff is a good choice for mobility and utility, very useful for evading carries and kite magic immune targets. Blink Dagger can also be picked up, Zeus benefiting a lot from mobility items.
- Ghost Scepter can be a great choice if you find yourself getting blown up by physical damage. It can also be upgraded into an Ethereal Blade, which can be used to disable the enemy carry, save allies and deal a massive amount of burst damage in combination with your spells.
- Shiva's Guard increase your mana pool enough to cast your combo while offering good enemy control.
- Rod of Atos gives you a much needed health boost, catch-up and a possible escape mechanism. The intelligence stats are very cost effective as well.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zeus was the first hero to be implemented in Dota 2.
- Zeus is based on the Greek mythological god of the same name.
- As suggested by the game's files, Zeus's name was, at one time, Zuus. The possible reason being that 'Zuus' is the correct pronunciation of his name 'Zeus'.
- Zeus' alternate/fun name in DotA was "Merlini", a tribute to a professional DotA player.
- Zeus' title in DotA was "Lord of Olympus".
- Static Field is most likely a reference to the Sorceress' skill of the same name in Diablo II. In Diablo II, the spell also reduced enemies' HP by a percentage within a short radius.
- Zeus' respawn line Play "To err is human. To respawn, divine." is a reference to Alexander Pope, whose quote is "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
- Zeus' rival line towards Chen, Play "Keep in mind, Chen, Godliness is next to deadliness." is a reference to an old and well-known saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness."
- Zeus' rare response line, Play "In Me I Trust.", refers to the national motto of the United States – "In God We Trust".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Model and icons before December 16, 2015 Patch