Zeus the Lord of Heaven is a ranged intelligence Hero who functions almost solely as a nuker. He is usually played as a semi-carry ganker type hero, who instead of utilizing disables, focuses solely on delivering tremendous amounts of magical damage to his foes. With the high cast range and low cooldown on his spells, he is able to deliver the most superb and consistent magical damage of any hero in the game. Arc Lightning is a highly spammable nuke that creates a stream of lightning that bounces between enemy foes (up to fifteen times at max level), dealing minor damage. Lightning Bolt is more focused, dealing heavy damage to a single target, also on a very low cooldown. Static Field is a potent passive ability that allows Zeus's magical damage to scale into late game, dealing damage to all enemies within a decent AoE equal to a certain percentage of nearby targets' health whenever he casts a spell. Finally, his ultimate Thundergod's Wrath allows him to strike all enemy heroes with a bolt of lightning, no matter their position, inflicting heavy damage. It can be used for multiple purposes: to finish off low-health enemy heroes limping away, to soften up the entire enemy team during a teamfight, or even to scout out the enemy's position. With the ability to strike down enemies both near and afar, the Lord of Heaven ensures that nobody can escape his wrath.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Hurls a bolt of lightning that leaps through nearby enemy units.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 850
Bounce Distance: 500
Number of Bounces: 5/7/9/15
- The lightning bounces in 0.25 second intervals. So hitting all targets takes 1.25/1.75/2.25/3.75 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit twice per cast.
- All bounces together can deal up to 425/700/1035/2175 damage (before reductions).
|Calls down a bolt of lightning to strike an enemy unit, causing damage and a mini-stun. When cast, Lightning Bolt briefly provides unobstructed vision and True Sight around the target in a 750 radius. Can be cast on the ground, affecting the closest enemy hero in 325 range.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 700
Hero Search Radius: 375
Sight Duration: 4.5
- The mini-stun lasts for 0.1 seconds.
- When cast on the ground with no heroes within 375 radius, it still provides the 750 range flying vision and True Sight.
- When targeting a unit, the vision and True Sight is provided at its position upon cast. The vision is stationary and does not follow the unit.
- However, When the ground is targeted but the bolt hits a hero, it provides the vision at the targeted point, and not around the hero it found within the search radius.
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 4.5 seconds, though the True Sight is provided by an aura from which the effects linger for 0.5 seconds.
- Searches for enemy heroes, illusions and creep-heroes when targeting ground. Whichever is the closest gets hit.
- When targeting the ground, it can hit an enemy hero up to 1075 range away (700 cast range + 375 search radius).
- In order to hit a non-hero unit, it must be directly targeted.
- Plays some lightning particles and a sound effect during the cast time, which are visible and audible to everyone.
|Zeus shocks all nearby enemy units whenever he casts a spell, causing damage proportional to their current health.|
Current Health as Damage: 4%/6%/8%/10%
- Static Field does not trigger on active item abilities.
- Applies its damage before the triggering spell's damage is applied.
- Does not affect Roshan.
- Does not disable Blink Dagger
- This is how much spell casts are required to bring units down to a certain health percentage (assuming damage before reductions and cast spells deal no damage):
- 75% Health: 6/4/3/3 casts
- 50% Health: 14/10/7/6 casts
- 25% Health: 25/19/15/12 casts
- 5% Health: 58/41/31/26 casts
|Strikes all enemy heroes with a bolt of lightning, no matter where they may be. Thundergod's Wrath also provides True Sight around each hero struck. If an enemy hero is invisible, it takes no damage, but the True Sight is still created at that hero's location.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Damage: 225/325/425 ( 440/540/640)
- Provides 500 range flying vision and 900 range True Sight around each struck hero. Does not provide any vision around invulnerable or hidden heroes.
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 3 seconds, though the True Sight is provided by an aura from which the effects linger for 0.5 seconds.
- Thundergod's Wrath first applies the damage on every hero (if possible), and then applies the vision around every enemy hero. So it cannot damage invisible heroes.
- Hitting all 5 enemies collectively deals 1125/1750/2375 ( 2200/2700/3200) damage (before reductions).
- Plays a visual and sound effects during the cast time, which is visible and audible to everyone.
- The sound upon cast is global. Enemies can hear it when they have vision over Zeus. Else they can only hear the local hit sound.
- Shifts the lighting of the whole map for a split second as another indicator of it being cast.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- A Tango and a Healing Salve are taken for the good HP regeneration.
- Three Clarities will make your spells more spammable, since Zeus is very mana dependent.
- An Iron Branch and a Circlet will give you more attributes, helping you with survivability and mana management.
- Boots of Speed will make you faster, allowing for easier escapes and a better time catching up to enemy heroes.
- Bottle allows for lane control and sustainability through runes and crowing. Getting it early helps you to maintain your mana to get last hits consistently.
- Null Talisman will give more intelligence, allowing for a larger mana pool and more damage, as well as bonus attributes to help with survivability.
- Arcane Boots are used to help sustain Zeus' high rate of spell casting and give him the mana pool necessary to remain relevant in longer engagements. It can also be later disassembled to use the energy booster in another item, and eventually upgraded into BoT.
- Veil of Discord provides a useful amplification of your magical damage dealt to any enemy caught in its blast. In addition to this, the 6 armor bonus helps mitigate the impact of Zeus' poor base armor, allowing him to survive longer against heavy physical damage lineups.
- Aghanim's Scepter will make your ultimate deal more damage and gives good bonuses to his attributes. If you need to be more tanky and durable Aghanim's Scepter is a better choice than Refresher Orb, since it gives both health and Strength, as well as a boost to other useful attributes.
- Refresher Orb is used to activate your Thundergod's Wrath twice if you have sufficient mana pool. In late game Refresher Orb is a better item than scepter as it will allow Zeus to use his spells more often, which owing to his scaling passive is more important than stronger ultimate damage. Using your three spells with a scepter in late game will deal less damage than using your three spells, then refreshing them and using them again. Using a Refresher Orb will drain a lot of mana, making you unable to cast your abilities if used carelessly.
- Scythe of Vyse helps in many situations, and can be used to make an enemy helpless; it also gives a nice boost to your mana pool.
- Bloodstone grants more health and more mana, which are very needed for Zeus. The more kills you do, the more mana regeneration you get.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a good utility item: it gives more mana regeneration, a bit more of speed and a good ability to incapacitate enemy Heroes.
- Octarine Core is a nice addition to Zeus' inventory as most of his damage output will be from his spells, which means that he will be healed for 25% of all spell and item damage that he inflicts. The lower cooldown of his ultimate will also be appreciated by Zeus players, especially for global scouting. His DPS in teamfights will also raise dramatically, as the lower cooldown on his nukes allow him to trigger his passive more often.
Counters[edit | edit source]
- Anti-Mage can burn mana, which is a big Problem for a spellcaster like Zeus that heavily relies on it. In addition, Spell Shield will halve the effectiveness of Zeus's spells against him.
- Arc Lightning and Lighting Bolt have very low cooldowns, which will provide plenty of charges for Magic Stick.
- The magic resistance from Cloak, as well as it's upgrades: Hood of Defiance and Pipe of Insight, will greatly reduce the effectiveness of Zeus's spell since they are all magic based.
- Glimmer Cape works as well, but keep in mind that Zeus can easily reveal you out of invisibility with Lightning Bolt and Thundergod's wrath.
- Black King Bar will completely block all of Zeus's spells.
- The Silence from Orchid Malevolence prevents Zeus from casting his spells, making him useless for it's duration.
- Blade Mail will force Zeus to take any damage he dishes out, in many cases this will leave him with very low health.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Arc Lightning
- In the laning phase Arc Lightning can substitute for your normal attack to get last hits due to its low cool down and long range, helping you stay out of harm's way given that Zeus's own attack animation, damage and range is rather meager early on.
- Arc Lightning is a great tool for tower defense, because it draws aggro from a safe range and deals damage over every unit.
- Lightning Bolt
- Always use Lightning Bolt before Arc Lightning so you may not lose your opponent in the fog.
- Always watch your positioning as Zeus and Arc Lightning have relatively long ranges, and Thundergod's Wrath has global range. Often, there is no reason to be up close in battle unless you are chasing down heroes; and Zeus' fragility compounds this.
- Remember that Lightning Bolt and Thundergod's Wrath provide True Sight. Do not be afraid to use your ultimate or cast Lightning Bolt where you think they may be if you believe an invisible enemy may be sneaking up on you or attempting to escape; if an enemy is invisible in a team fight make sure to cast Lightning Bolt before casting Thundergod's Wrath so that the granted True Sight allows your ultimate to damage the invisible target.
- Because Lightning Bolt offers 4.5 seconds of True Sight and flying vision, you can cast it on the ground near cliff-sides or other popular warding areas to check for wards or de-ward without actually purchasing sentry wards.
- Static Field
- Leveling Static Field increases your damage output by a great deal and scales very well into the lategame.
- During team fights, use all of Zeus's spells (including his ultimate) as soon as possible to make the best use of his passive, that it's based on the percentage of current health, not maximum health, so it will do more damage to heroes at full health. If you wait for the enemy team's health to go down before using Thundergod's Wrath, then Static Field will not do as much damage as it could have.
- Static Field breaks Blink Dagger, so you may mess up a blink initiation from fog with a random cast spell.
- Thundergod's Wrath
- When trying to kill low hp heroes (low, but not low enough for Ultimate only) in hard to navigate areas use Thundergod's Wrath to gain vision of your enemy so you can Lightning Bolt them to death.
- Considering the 25% magic resistance most heroes have by default, Thundergod's Wrath effectively deals 168.75/262.5/356.25 ( 330/405/480) damage, provided they have no other source of magic damage reduction.
- Thundergod's Wrath can have a good synergy with Bloodseeker's Thirst, since it reveal any heroes that has a low health, so Zeus will simply ulti them to get a kill(s).
- Thundergod's Wrath should only be used to acquire a kill if your carry is unable to attain it himself. In most encounters, it should be used early in the fight to make things easier for one's team.
- Since magic damage doesn't scale well into late game as physical damage, combining it with allied spells like Soul Catcher, Bloodlust and Ancient Seal keeps him relevant for longer.
- Zeus does inherently a massive amount of magic damage. His main issues are mobility, survivability and mana rather than damage output.
- Beside the recommended items, Zeus takes benefit from a huge item pool:
- Soul Ring can help with early mana issues, easing jungling and can be used to make a Bloodstone later.
- Force Staff is a good choice for mobility and utility, very useful for evading carries and kite magic immune targets. Blink Dagger can also be picked up, Zeus benefiting a lot from mobility items.
- Aether Lens makes you better at your job by dealing lots of magical damage from as far back as possible.
- Ghost Scepter can be a great choice if you find yourself getting blown up by physical damage. It can also be upgraded into an Ethereal Blade, which can be used to disable the enemy carry, save allies and deal massive amount of burst damage in combination with your spells.
- Shiva's Guard and Scythe of Vyse increase your mana pool enough to cast your combo while offering good enemy control.
- Rod of Atos gives you a much needed health boost, catch-up and a possible escape mechanism. The intelligence stats are very cost effective as well.
- Veil of Discord amplifies your spells damage in a massive area of effect for a long duration. The debuff cannot be dispelled.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zeus was the first hero to be implemented in Dota 2.
- Zeus is based on the Greek mythological god of the same name.
- As suggested by the game's files, Zeus's name was, at one time, Zuus. The possible reason being that 'Zuus' is the correct pronunciation of his name 'Zeus'.
- Zeus' alternate/fun name in DotA was "Merlini", a tribute to a professional DotA player.
- Zeus' title in DotA was "Lord of Olympus".
- Static Field is most likely a reference to the Sorceress' skill of the same name in Diablo II. In Diablo II, the spell also reduced enemies' HP by a percentage within a short radius.
- Zeus' respawn line Play "To err is human. To respawn, divine." is a reference to Alexander Pope, whose quote is "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
- Zeus' rival line towards Chen, Play " Keep in mind, Chen, Godliness is next to deadliness." is a reference to an old and well-known saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness."
Update history[edit | edit source]
Balance changelog[edit | edit source]
Replaced abilities[edit | edit source]
|Static Field (pre 6.28)|
|Instantly shocks all nearby enemy units for a percentage of their current hit points as damage.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Current Health as Damage: 7%/9%/11%/13%
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Model before December 16, 2015