24 + 2.1
16 + 1.9
25 + 3.1
Auroth the Winter Wyvern is a ranged intelligence hero who is most often played as a lane support. However, she can be played as a ganker or in the middle lane. Arctic Burn confers increased attack range, as well as adding strong slow and a large amount of damage over time to her attacks. This skill can be used as an initiation tool as a result of the slow and health burn. Splinter Blast is a unique nuke that, when cast on an enemy, does not affect that enemy but deals damage to and slows all of the enemies around it. Cold Embrace heals an ally a massive amount over its duration, as well as making the affected target immune to physical damage. However, the unit is stunned for the duration. Lastly, Winter Wyvern's ultimate, Winter's Curse, stuns an enemy and forces its allies to attack them. This is a powerful tool against farmed carries, who can be made to kill their allied heroes.
| Auroth, the Winter Wyvern
| Play "Some breathe fire. I breathe ice."
|| Support / Disabler / Nuker
|| Like many great poets, Auroth just wants time to write, but the Winter Wyvern's life is full of interruptions. The epics of the Eldwurms have a long and colorful history, but some fear that the remaining dragon scholars are not as prolific as they once were, with few lines added to the Eldwurm Eddas since the last age of greatness. Auroth laments: "We forget that there is more to life than triumph and dominion over enemies. We must also live our lives in the pursuit of creative expression." She embarks on research expeditions, collecting books for inspiration. But all this research can be terribly distracting, and she spends less time writing than she should. Although she knows she should be lurking in her lair, adding to the Eddas, she finds herself engaged in epic battles against powerful enemies. She loots castles, raids ancient libraries... and if she happens to heap glory on herself in the process, she tells herself that it's merely a side effect of her research. The fact is, while her skill and power on the battlefield are legendary, her scholarly travails have thus far hardly been the stuff of literary acclaim. But she is not content to stand as a protagonist of heroic lore. She wishes also to create it.
|| Merle Dandridge (Responses)
- Arctic Burn interrupts Winter Wyvern's channeling spells upon cast.
- Temporarily turns Winter Wyvern into a flying unit, allowing her to fly over impassable terrain, trees, units and buildings, but does not grant flying vision.
- Increases Winter Wyvern's attack range to 700/800/900/1000, projectile speed to 1200, night vision range to 1200 and reduces attack point from 0.25 to 0.1.
- Each enemy can only recieve the debuff once per cast. Successive attacks on the same target do neither stack, nor refresh the duration.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is placed, resulting in 5 instances.
- Can deal up to 34.09% of the target's current health as damage (before reductions), considering the target is at full health and nothing else affects its health currently.
- Since the damage per second is based on a percentage of the target's current health, it can never be lethal on its own.
- During Arctic Burn, Winter Wyvern can neither trigger, nor takes damage from Land Mines.
- Destroys trees within a 250 radius at the end of the duration.
- The initial projectile's speed adapts so that it reaches the target optimally in 1 second.
- However, the speed is capped between 650 and 4000, so it can reach the target earlier, if it is within 650 range of Winter Wyvern upon cast, or later if it is too far away.
- The secondary projectiles travel at a static speed of 600.
- Neither initial, nor secondary projectiles can be disjointed.
- Stuns the target and turns it immune to physical damage. Does not block other damage types or spell effects.
- Since it applies a simple stun and physical damage resistance, the target can still be attacked and affected by spells.
- Heals in form of health regeneration, so it heals for 2 + 0.3%/0.4%/0.5%/0.6% health in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 second after cast, resulting in 40 heal instances.
- Can heal up to 80 + 12/16/20/24% of maximum health over the duration.
- Cannot be cast on allies who have disabled help from winter wyvern.
- The target gets stunned, while any of its allies within the radius get taunted.
- Enemies that enter the radius after cast also get taunted for its remaining duration.
- The taunt sticks on the affected units. Getting moved outside the area does not free the unit from the taunt.
- The taunt has the same priority as Berserker's Call, but lower priority than Duel.
- Same priority means, affected units attack either Axe or the curse target, depending on which taunt affected the unit first.
- If the target gets killed by its allies during the curse, Winter Wyvern gets credit for kill, except under the following circumstances:
- If the target is also affected by Reaper's Scythe upon dying, Necrophos gets the kill credit, no matter who made the killing blow.
- If the target has the Ice Blast debuff on and the target dies to the shatter, the unit which caused the shatter gets the kill credit.
- Does not disable any abilities. However, most passive abilities are coded to not affect allied units.
- Winter Wyvern currently has no equipment.
- Winter Wyvern has an extremely high cast range for all of her spells, use this to your advantage when in a team fight or gank and try to stay back and provide support for your team. This in combination with mobility items such as blink and force staff can give players an extreme advantage.
- A powerful healing combination is to cast Cold Embrace with Oracle's Fate's Edict and Purifying Flames on a target ally/self. The result will give full physical and magical damage immunity as well as healing for 64 + 6% per second at maximum level for 4 seconds and 44 health per second for 5 seconds thereafter. Total heal is equal to 476 + 24%. Using this combination on an ally affected by False Promise will result in a heal of 952 + 48% causing a hero with 2000 maximum health to heal 1912 health at the end of 9 seconds. Extremely useful if your carry is nuked or to save an ally from any form of damage.
- Soul Ring is a good pickup early as it not only helps with mana problems but Cold Embrace can also heal up most of the lost health.
- In a teamfight it is vital to use Winter's Curse on an important hero in order to keep him/her locked down and unable to do anything. Good examples are carries and anyone with a powerful disable.
- Do not be afraid to use Winter's Curse as only a single-target stun. It is still a powerful disable skill disregarding the ability to make your enemies attack each other.
- Another trick is to cast it on anyone standing next to the enemy carry, as the carry will then be attacking his ally essentially causing him to briefly fight for you.
- Many passive abilities do not work against allied units, so do not expect an enemy Phantom Assassin to critical strike one of her ally who is affected by Winter's Curse.
- A short summary of the most common effects which do not trigger on allies: Most attack modifiers (critical strike, cleave and all active attack modifiers), Blade Mail, Spiked Carapace, Counter Helix and Corrosive Skin
- Short summary of effects which do react on allies: All damage blocks, all sources of damage negation and reduction, Reactive Armor, Return, Essence Shift, Backstab, Headshot
- Note though that in case of spells like Dispersion or Bristleback, the reflected damage or passive quill sprays do not hit allies, but enemies still. The only exception is Centaur's Return, which damages allies.
- All bashes excluding Spirit Breaker's Greater Bash and Slardar's Bash works on allies. Examples: Berserker's Rage, Monkey King Bar, Skull Basher, Time Lock
- Some item attack modifiers also work against allies. Examples: Desolator, Sange and Yasha, Eye of Skadi
- Winter Wyvern made her first official Dota 2 appearance in the New Bloom trailer "The Coming of the Year Beast" which was showcased the first time after the finals of the Dota 2 Asia Championship 2015 on the 9th of February 2015. The trailer video was later posted on the official Dota2 blog as part 1 of the New Bloom event.
- Her next official appearance was in the comic "The new neighbors", which was posted on the 10th of February 2015 on the official Dota2 blog. In the comic, she is depicted as an "artistic" dragon with interests in books who does not follow the traditional behavior of dragons razing cities to the ground.
- Much like Legion Commander, who is also voiced by Merle Dandridge, the gender of Winter Wyvern was changed from male to female with the transition from DotA to Dota 2.
- In DotA, Winter Wyvern makes use the model of the Warcraft 3 version of a frost wyrm, a well known undead dragon type from the Warcraft universe.
- Winter Wyvern's response when meeting Axe as an ally, Play "In this world, nothing is certain but ice and axes" is a nod to a quote by Benjamin Franklin, which states: "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- Winter Wyvern's response, Play "Winter is coming. Winter Wyvern that is." is a reference to Game of Thrones, specifically the motto of the House of Stark: "Winter is coming."
- Winter Wyvern's rivalry line towards Dragon Knight Play"I knew Slyrak, Dragon Knight. You're no Slyrak." is a reference to Michael Dukakis's political quip "... I knew Jack Kennedy... Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy".
March 06, 2015 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed cases where Winter's Curse would credit kills wrong when an enemy Rubick stole the spell
March 05, 2015 Patch
- Fixed heroes dying during Winter's Curse to an allied last hit counting as a deny, instead of a kill for Winter Wyvern, when the hero was deniable because of other abilities
February 12, 2015 Patch
- Added Winter Wyvern!
February 12, 2015 Patch (Test) Update 7
February 12, 2015 Patch (Test) Update 6
- Fixed Winter Wyvern's hero icon.
February 12, 2015 Patch (Test) Update 5
- Fixed legacy keys for Winter Wyvern.
- Updated item build for Winter Wyvern.
- Fixed Winter Wyvern not being enabled in Ability Draft.
- Various tooltip fixes (to Arctic Burn and Cold Embrace and also added ALT notes to all her spells).
February 12, 2015 Patch (Test) Update 4
February 11, 2015 Patch (Test) Update 3
February 11, 2015 Patch (Test) Update 2
February 11, 2015 Patch (Test)
- Added Winter Wyvern!
- Added to Captain's Mode
- Arctic Burn:
- Splinter Blast:
- Is now dispellable.
- Increased projectile speed from 500 to 650 (1.35 to 1 second max).
- Cold Embrace now behaves as normal health regeneration instead of 0.1 interval heals.
- Winter's Curse:
- Now grants all taunted enemy units 70% incoming damage reduction.
- Increased radius from 350 to 400.
- Increased duration from 2.5/2.75/3 to 2.5/3/3.5.
- Increased cooldown from 90/80/70 to 110/100/90.
- Arctic Burn:
- Increased slow duration from 4 to 5 to match the burn duration.
- Now fully pierces spell immunity.
- Now only grants the night vision bonus when casting the spell for its duration, instead of being a passive component.
- Splinter Blast is now blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- Cold Embrace:
- Now pierces spell immunity.
- Stun and heal/physical immunity now use the same buff, instead of being 2 independent buffs.
- This means the stun component is no longer dispellable.
- Winter's Curse now also forces spell immune units to attack the target.
- ↑ Merle Dandridge's confirmation that she voiced Winter Wyvern
- ↑ Winter Wyvern as he appears in DotA.
- ↑ Benjamin Franklin quotes
- ↑ Game of Thrones reference "Winter is coming".
- ↑ Vice presidental debate, the referenced line is at 2:33