Visage, the bound form of Necro'lic, is a ranged intelligence Hero whose traits are unusual when compared to most Intelligence heroes; he can be a Ganker, Tank, or Nuker. Resilient and ruthless, Visage is a highly aggressive hero thanks to his great Strength gain and Gravekeeper's Cloak which allow him to soak up surprising amounts of damage. This is especially true from attacks mounted by Heroes who try to chip at his health with spells and burst damage without committing to a protracted engagement. This unholy gargoyle thrives in the midst of large battles, where the abundant pain and suffering in the air charges his Soul Assumption, allowing him to fire off huge bursts of magical damage in rapid succession. Additionally, Visage's proficiency with auto-attacks is augmented by his ability to absorb the attack and movement speed of his foes with Grave Chill. Finally, his versatile ultimate, Familiars, is arguably one of the best scouting utilities in the game while also being excellent sources of damage and AoE disables. Utilizing his Familiars to their fullest requires constant split attention and good positioning to avoid feeding their large bounties to an enemy Hero. With a legion of ghostly gargoyles, incredible toughness, and fast attacks, Visage sows terror and agony, relentlessly hunting poor souls and leading them in the shackles of death to the gates of the Underscape.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Cannot target spell immune enemies. Slow persists if debuff was placed before spell immunity and when not dispelled.
- The slow and speed bonus are independent from each other. Grave Chill does not literally drain the speed.
- This means Visage's movement speed is increased by 32%, while the target's is slowed by 32%, each based on their own movement speed.
- The same goes for the attack speed. Visage's attack speed is increased by 64, while the target's is slowed by 64.
- This also means when one of them loses the buff or debuff, the other still keeps theirs.
- Does not slow the attack speed of illusions.
- Soul Assumption travels at a speed of 1000 and can be disjointed.
- Each instance of damage taken by heroes is saved for 6 seconds or until cast. When the summary of the saved damage exceeds the damage threshold, a charge is added.
- It requires 330/440/550/660 damage within the last 6 seconds to reach the maximum amount of charges.
- Does not count self-inflicted damage, or damage less than 2 or greater than 3000 (after reductions).
- The number of current charges is visible in the form of yellow bars above Visage. This is visible to Visage and his allies only.
- The projectile's visual appearance also reflects the amount of charges, revealing how much damage it is approximately about to deal.
- When casting Soul Assumption, its damage is set and the charges counter is reset upon projectile launch.
- With 0/1/2/3/4/5/6 charges, Soul Assumption can deal 20/85/150/215/280/345/410 damage to the target (before reductions).
- The damage reduction reduces damage from all 3 damage types, except for damage flagged as HP Removal.
- Only reduces damage if the damage instance is greater than 50 (after all other reductions). Lower damage is completely ignored.
- Only reacts on player-based damage, exluding self-inflicted damage.
- This is how much damage reduction each amount of layer grants at each level:
- Level 1: 8%/16%/24%/32% total damage reduction.
- Level 2: 12%/24%/36%/48% total damage reduction.
- Level 3: 16%/32%/48%/64% total damage reduction.
- Level 4: 20%/40%/60%/80% total damage reduction.
- The aura affects all Familiars under Visage's control. It grants them damage reduction based on how many charges Visage currently has.
- The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Summon Familiars interrupts Visage's channeling spells upon cast.
- Casting Summon Familiars replaces currently active Familiars from a previous cast.
- The Familiars are summoned 200 range in front on Visage, with 120 range distance between the Familiars and Visage being inbetween.
- When summoning 3 Familiars with Aghanim's Scepter, the additional Familiar spawns next to the right Familiar, again with 120 range inbetween each, forming a line of 3 Familiars.
- Each Familiar spawns with 7 attack damage bonus charges. They lose one charge whenever they launch an attack projectile.
- Multiple charges do not replenish at the same time, they recharge one after another. So it takes 14 seconds to recharge 7 charges.
- As soon as one charge is used up, it starts recharging. Further charges get queued up.
- This is how much attack damage the Familiars have with each amount of charges on each level (before reductions):
- Level 1: 10/18/26/34/42/50/58/66 attack damage
- Level 2: 10/26/42/58/74/90/106/122 attack damage
- Level 3: 10/34/58/82/106/130/154/178 attack damage
- Familiars neither trigger, nor take damage from Proximity Mines.
- The familiars' attack damage, health and armor only update upon getting re-summoned, and not immediately upon leveling the spell up.
- A list of all spell interactions with the Familiars can be found here.
Familiars[edit | edit source]
- During the effect delay, the Familiar is rooted and disarmed, being prevented from moving or attacking.
- After the effect delay, the Familiar's health regeneration is heavily boosted, it is turned invulnerable and it gets disabled.
- The area stun and damage are applied right after the effect delay as well.
- The stun and damage location is determined upon landing, not upon cast.
- When a Familiar dies during the effect delay, the area damage and stun are not applied, but the visual effects still appear.
- The Stone Form's duration is indicated by a yellow number above the Familiar. This number is visible to Visage only.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+120 Familiars Movement Speed||25||+20% Spell Amplification|
|-40s Respawn Time||20||+300 Health|
|+100 Cast Range||15||+50 Damage|
|+25% XP Gain||10||+90 Gold/Min|
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- Respawn reductions cannot reduce respawn time below 1 second.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango and Healing Salve help Visage sustain his HP during the laning phase, preventing him from returning to base due to enemy harassment.
- Clarity allows Visage to maintain his mana in order to cast his spells in the laning phase, particularly Soul Assumption, which costs roughly half of his base mana pool and can be important for securing kills during ganks.
- Ring of Protection mitigates Visage's poor base armor, giving him resistance to physical harass damage in the early game when he has no levels in Gravekeeper's Cloak. It also builds into a Ring of Basilius from the Side Lane Shop without being forced to return to base or use the courier.
- Two Iron Branches are cheap and give Visage a small amount of attributes, a useful way to spend his remaining gold. They can be sold for inventory space, or used to build Magic Wand or Mekansm components.
- Animal Courier and Flying Courier should be prioritized for the supports to purchase when needed.
- Observer Ward and Sentry Ward are important support items to buy regularly. Observer Wards give Visage's team map vision and allow Visage to better position his Familiars to take advantage of gank opportunities, while Sentry Wards allow Visage to take map vision away from the enemy; as well, Familiars can use their small vision radius to scout high ground areas for enemy wards after placing a Sentry Ward on lower ground to cover more detection area.
- Boots of Speed are necessary to rectify Visage's poor movement speed. Getting boots as early as possible in the laning phase allows Visage to pursue enemies during ganks, particularly to get within range to cast Grave Chill to slow them.
- Magic Stick is a useful burst healing/mana item if the enemies in lane will be casting many spells. It can later be built into a Magic Wand.
- Ring of Basilius, upgraded from Ring of Protection, gives Visage's lane increased physical survivability and some mana regen to sustain spell casting. Past the laning stage, it can be disassembled and the Sage's Mask recycled for other items.
- Power Treads is a well-rounded boots upgrade that gives Visage many useful benefits. It boosts his attack speed to allow him to utilize his physical attacks more often, boosted further by Grave Chill, and the attribute switching allows him to give himself more HP or more mana and base damage depending on the situation.
- Magic Wand, built up from Magic Stick, gives Visage bonus attributes and increased charge storage for burst regen. As a support, Visage can benefit greatly from both if lacking farm.
- Mekansm gives Visage increased utility and allows him to further support his team through healing them. The increased attributes and armor also vastly boost Visage's durability, making him tankier in fights and allowing him to contribute more.
- Medallion of Courage is a powerful utility support item in Visage's hands. The item provides armor and mana regen, giving Visage more survivability and maintaining his mana pool. The active allows him to either buff up an ally's armor to help them in fights, or reduce an enemy's armor to increase the amount of damage they take from allies, Visage's attacks, and most importantly his Summon Familiars.
- Town Portal Scroll is important to carry on all heroes at all times. Visage's ability to nuke and disable with his spells makes him a powerful ally to have in any engagement.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a powerful item for Visage, as an extra Familiar will increase his burst damage output by 50%, as well as allowing for increased stagger stun duration with Stone Form. The item also provides Visage with all-around attributes, giving him more HP and mana.
- Scythe of Vyse is a strong support item that, while expensive, provides extremely strong benefits. The all-around stats, larger mana pool and increased mana regeneration allow Visage to better contribute in teamfights, and the instant hard-disable can be crucial for getting off successful ganks and disabling important targets in teamfights.
- Shiva's Guard boosts Visage's survivability against physical damage and greatly improves his mana pool and base damage. The active can be used as a slow and nuke, further slowing an enemy alongside Grave Chill and building up damage for Soul Assumption.
- Assault Cuirass greatly boosts Visage's armor and attack speed, making him a strong presence in teamfights and ganks. The aura can boost his Familiars' attack speed and reduce enemies' armor to allow the Familiars' attacks to deal additional damage.
- Rod of Atos provides Visage with more health, more intelligence for mana and base damage, and a long-ranged slow on a low cooldown. It can greatly increase Visage's ability to chase down foes as he can catch them at long range with the active, then close in to further debilitate them with Grave Chill.
- Heart of Tarrasque will vastly improve Visage's overall health and health regeneration, greatly increasing his survivability in fights.
- Mjollnir is a powerful damage item, greatly boosting Visage's attack speed. The Chain Lightning modifier, as well as the Static Charge active, can allow Visage to deal vast amounts of area damage to build up charges for Soul Assumption throughout an engagement.
- Solar Crest, upgraded from Medallion of Courage, provides many of the same benefits. The increased armor and mana regen give Visage even more tankiness and helps keep his mana topped up even in the late game, while the evasion allows him to dodge attacks and prevent the enemy from easily wearing down Gravekeeper's Cloak charges. The active also works to give teammates even more survivability or increasing enemies' vulnerability to Familiar attacks.
- Gem of True Sight can be carried relatively safely on Visage, as he possesses survivability in Gravekeeper's Cloak. As with Sentry Wards, he can use his Familiars to scout high ground to spot and destroy enemy Observer Wards.
- Blade Mail is an unorthodox survivability item that gives Visage useful bonuses. The armor gives him survivability against physical damage, while the intelligence and bonus damage give him more mana and increase the effectiveness of his auto-attacks, making him a bigger threat with Grave Chill. The active can act as a second layer of defense once Gravekeeper's Cloak has been exhausted, discouraging the enemy from attacking him while his defenses are weakened.
- Force Staff is a useful utility and support item. It gives Visage more intelligence, increasing his base damage and the size of his mana pool, and provides some HP regen to keep his HP topped up. The active allows Visage to quickly re-position himself to cast his spells during ganks and fights, and can act as an escape if needed. It can also be cast on teammates caught out of position in order to save them.
- Boots of Travel is an expensive investment, but can greatly increase Visage's mobility. The increased movement speed allows him to more easily position himself to cast his spells or pursue enemies with Grave Chill, and the teleport can be targeted on his Familiars, allowing him to effectively re-position himself anywhere he wishes on the map.
- Necronomicon gives Visage increased teamfight, ganking and pushing ability. The item provides more strength and intelligence, giving Visage more HP, mana and base damage, and the summons can be used to help the Familiars push, or provide more damage output in a teamfight. Upgraded to level 3, the Necronomicon Warrior also provides True Sight, giving Visage increased utility.
- Dagon increases Visage's ability to gank and solo-kill enemies. Besides giving him all-around attributes and increased intelligence for mana and base damage, the active nuke allows Visage to instantly build up Soul Assumption charges, greatly increasing his burst damage potential.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity gives Visage more support and utility power. The item provides Visage with more intelligence and mana regeneration, greatly increasing his ability to to cast spells, and the bonus movement speed allows him to more easily position himself for casting spells or chasing with Grave Chill. The active can allow Visage to remove debuffs from himself while making himself temporarily invulnerable, or can hard-disable an enemy at range to set them up for Stone Form stuns.
- Desolator is a relatively cheap item that increases Visage's semi-carry potential. It increases Visage's physical attack power, giving him more damage output when combined with Grave Chill, and the armor reduction on targets will increase their vulnerability to his Familiars' attacks.
- Pipe of Insight can give Visage increased survivability and utility for his team. The magic resistance allows Visage to weather magic nukes more effectively when Gravekeeper's Cloak is down, and the magic barrier can shield teammates from magic damage during fights.
- Orchid Malevolence is a useful semi-carry item with an easy buildup that increases Visage's ganking prowess depending on the enemy lineup. It gives Visage many useful benefits, including physical damage output, more mana and powerful mana regeneration. The silence can prevent enemies from casting escape spells during ganks, and deal powerful burn damage from Visage's powerful burst damage at the end of the silence.
- Eye of Skadi is an expensive semi-carry item, but gives Visage many powerful benefits. It gives Visage stats across the board, increasing his tankiness, physical damage output, and mana. The attack modifier stacks on top of Grave Chill, greatly slowing an enemy for Visage to bring down with his attacks and Familiar burst.
- Guardian Greaves is a very powerful support item that gives Visage powerful utility in teamfights. The increased attributes and aura make Visage much tankier, and he can heal himself while also removing negative debuffs with the active.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Visage has one of the most numerous ability remakes in the game, with Grave Chill being his only mainstay:
- Soul Assumption, in an earlier version, was an autocast enabled attack modifier where he will deal bonus damage and steal the life of his enemies upon death, healing him and leaving no corpse.
- Gravekeeper's Cloak used to be a passive aura where allies in the area will be healed when Visage takes damage, physical or magical.
- Raise Revenants, his former ultimate, lets him summon up to eight pitch-black, gargoyle-shaped spirits from a corpse. It was likely changed because of it being a very effective scouting tool that makes map control easier. The Revenants had good vision range, a flying attribute, and can be resummoned easily since the ability neither cost a lot of mana nor had a long cooldown. This, along with the fact that the Revenants did not do a lot of damage on their own (attack modifier limits their damage to one-third the stated amount against heroes) and no special abilities give them very limited usage in combat situations.
- Visage's rival line towards Keeper of the Light Play "You shall not pass!" is a direct quote from Gandalf, a character from The Lord of the Rings. This reference is due to the similarities between Keeper of the Light and Gandalf.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Low Violence model