18 + 2.6
27 + 2.8
15 + 1.75
Shendelzare the Vengeful Spirit is a ranged Agility Hero excelling in ganks, disabling and kill hunts. She is one of the most potent supporters in the game. Effective from early to late game, Vengeful Spirit is typically seen roaming the battlefield, searching for targets to prey on, hitting them with a powerful stun with Magic Missile and reducing their armor and scouting ahead with Wave of Terror. Motivated by her determined vengeance, her Vengeance Aura boosts her bonus attack damage not only for herself, but her allies as well. This makes her an ideal partner for physical gankers and carries, and what makes her a potential Carry herself. Her ultimate Nether Swap switches your position with another hero; ally or enemy. This allows Shendel to swap an enemy key hero making him/her vulnerable or sacrificing herself to save an important ally from death which may be essential to win a clash, or perhaps the entire game. Her unusual reliance on Agility (rather than Intelligence, like most supports) results in her offensive capabilities being remarkably high, at the cost of having a lower mana pool. She needs items perhaps less than any other hero in the game, and as such can be played with great recklessness, as her death is only a slight inconvenience. Shendel requires very selfless and skilled play to operate well, and relies on the competence of teammates as much as herself.
| Shendelzare, the Vengeful Spirit
| Play "I will slake my thirst for revenge."
|| Support / Disabler / Lane Support / Initiator
|| Even the most contented Skywrath is an ill-tempered creature, naturally inclined to seek revenge for the slightest insult. But Vengeful Spirit is the essence of vengeance. Once a proud and savage Skywrath scion, Shendelzare was first in succession for the Ghastly Eyrie until a sister's treachery robbed her of her birthright. Snared in an assassin's net, Shendelzare tore free only at the cost of her wings, limping away in the ultimate humiliation: On foot. With her wings broken, she knew the Skywrath would never accept her as ruler; and in the highest roost of the Eyrie, inaccessible except by winged flight, her sister was untouchable. Unwilling to live as a flightless cripple, and desiring revenge far more than earthly power, the fallen princess drove a bargain with the goddess Scree'auk: She surrendered her broken body for an imperishable form of spirit energy, driven by vengeance, capable of doing great damage in the material plane. She may spend eternity flightless, but she will have her revenge.
|| Gin Hammond (Responses)
- The wave travels at a speed of 2000.
- Can hit units up to 1700 range away (1400 travel distance + 300 radius).
- The wave provides 500 radius flying vision as it travels. The vision lasts for 3 seconds.
- The 3 second lasting vision starts 100 range away from Vengeful Spirit.
- So the vision reaches for up to 2000 range away (100 range starting distance + 1400 travel distance + 500 vision radius).
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of the affected units. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- The same goes for the negative aura. Only decreases base damage and that given by the primary attribute.
- The aura's buff and the negative aura's debuff linger for 0.5 seconds.
- When Vengeful Spirit dies to an enemy player, the player's hero will be afflicted with the negative Vengeance Aura.
- Despite the visual effect, when dying to enemy illusions or summons, the hero of the owner gets the aura instead.
- Allies denying Vengeful Spirit do not get the negative aura.
- Healing Salve and Tango help Vengeful Spirit sustain during the laning phase, preventing her from returning to base due to enemy harassment.
- Clarity will allow Vengeful Spirit to refresh her mana after a gank from an ally, as she has a relatively small mana pool.
- Circlet is a cheap way to improve Vengeful Spirit's mana pool and health pool, both of which are lacking in the early game.
- Courier is an important team item, and as a support hero, Vengeful Spirit is a prime candidate to buy one. It is generally advised to only buy one per team, so do not buy a Courier if someone else has already done so.
- Magic Stick is a useful pick up when in a lane against heroes who have low mana cost spells, and are harassing you with those spells. The magic stick, or even the upgraded Magic Wand, will give you health and mana when they do so, reducing the net damage they are truly doing.
- Boots of Speed are essential for Vengeful Spirit, as the improved speed will allow her to escape deadly situations, as well as catch up to an escaping enemy.
- Ring of Aquila will give Vengeful Spirit the bonus mana regeneration she needs to harass the enemy with her spells, particularity Wave of Terror. The added agility and bonus armor will also complement her high starting armor, making her much harder to kill with physical attacks. The mana regeneration and armor bonus from the aura will also help any nearby allies.
- Magic Wand is a useful pick up for the same reason as the Magic Stick. The same effects from the lane also apply in a fight. Against a team with many castable spells, the Magic Wand will fill quickly and will increase Vengeful Spirit's survivability during a fight.
- Power Treads increase Vengeful Spirit's attack speed, which synergizes well with Vengeance Aura, offering higher damage per second than raw damage. The bonus attributes also aid Vengeful Spirit by increasing her mana pool to cast more spells, increasing her health pool to increase survivability, or increasing her armor and damage output, depending on her needs at the time.
- Medallion of Courage synergizes well with Wave of Terror, reducing the target enemy's armor by 13 at highest level. This allows your team to output much more damage against low armor targets, or nearly negate the high armor effects from abilities such as Warcry, Dragon Blood, or Reactive Armor.
- Observer Ward is another important team item, and as a support hero, Vengeful Spirit should buy it whenever possible to watch for ganks, see the rune locations, or catch unsuspecting enemies in their jungle.
- Town Portal Scroll are essential for cross-map transportation. TP scrolls allow Vengeful Spirit to return to lane quicker after a death, meaning she misses out on less experience in the lane. They can also be used to quickly jump into a fight or defend a tower in a different lane.
- Aghanim's Scepter reduces the cooldown on Nether Swap, allowing Vengeful Spirit to swap places with heroes far more frequently. This can result in more frequent ganks on enemy heroes, or the ability to use Nether Swap multiple times in a team fight to catch escaping heroes.
- Force Staff has many uses for a hero such as Vengeful Spirit. It can be used to position Vengeful Spirits abilities, namely Nether Swap. It can also be used to escape from failed fights or ganks as well as save nearby allies, or push enemies into your grasp. It also improves her mana pool, allowing her to stun or reduce the enemies armor more often in fights.
- Desolator is another good item to reduce the enemy's armor. When used in succession with Wave of Terror and Medallion of Courage, Vengeful Spirit can reduce a target's armor by 19 points, allowing for even more physical damage to be done to the target.
- Butterfly is a good item for Vengeful Spirit as it synergizes very well with Vengeance Aura, adding another 10 damage on top of the Butterfly's 60 damage. The added 60 attack speed will also greatly increase Vengeful Spirit's damage per second. The evasion and additional 4 armor is also good to help with survivability against physical attacks, allowing her allies to benefit from Vengeance Aura for longer.
- Manta Style gives Vengeful Spirit the ability to spawn illusions, not only giving her more damage output in a fight, but also the ability to confuse enemies. The additional damage and attack speed also synergizes well with Vengeance Aura.
- Heart of Tarrasque will massively increase Vengeful Spirit's survivability, granting her over 1000 bonus health and 2% of her max health per second between fights. This survivability gives Vengeful Spirit a much higher chance of survival when swapping herself into a group of enemy heroes, potentially removing the enemy team's carry in the process.
- Drum of Endurance give Vengeful Spirit increased movement speed for both herself and nearby allies. This allows for her allies to potentially catch up to fleeing enemies, as well as escape from a lost fight. It also gives Vengeful Spirit increased attack speed, increasing her damage per second, as well as bonus attributes for a cheap price.
- Flying Courier can be bought after the 3:00 minute mark. Being a support hero, Vengeful Spirit should purchase it as soon as possible (assuming no other Flying Couriers have been purchased).
- Usually max Magic Missile first, as aside from being a powerful early-game stun it allows allies to land their own, usually-more-difficult spells. Leaving Missile at level 1 in favor of maxing Wave of Terror is a build often seen among professional players however.
- Besides being an effective disabler, she is a potent interrupter from Magic Missile and Nether Swap.
- Her Vengeance Aura boosts her own damage as well, so do not underestimate her autoattack.
- Be aware that Vengeance Aura will push the lane, depriving your lane partner of farm and increasing the risk of a gank.
- An amazing item on Vengeful Spirit is Medallion of Courage, it gives her a passive +7 armor which makes her tankier, She gets some good mana regen, and when comboed with her Wave of Terror she can drop a target's armor by -13 making most heroes have negative armor while under attack.
- A ganking trick early-game is to Nether Swap an enemy hero into a tower's range, then use Magic Missile to stun them. With the tower's help you should easily kill the hero.
- Vengeful Spirit can complement attribute-based carries like Sven, Drow Ranger, and Riki as both her aura and armor reduction enhances their damage. Keep in mind that her aura does not improve bonus damage from items and so is less effective for heroes who rely on such items. She is also effective in helping spells that are hard to land, such as Lina's Light Strike Array.
- Wave of Terror is an armour reduction spell with very little mana cost, and should be used in every encounter. It can be used to reveal the fog of war to scout out possible ambushes or to reveal an area for a Nether Swap.
- Without considering raw damage bonuses, the positive aura is equivalent to -2/-3.33/-4.67/-6 armor for enemies while the negative aura is equivalent to 2.27/4.17/6.48/9.38 armor for allies.
- Vengeful Spirit can be an item-independent hero, meaning she can be effective even with minimal items. She should constantly be ganking your opponents keeping enemy carries in check, warding and de-warding maps or assist in pushes. Reserve the farming for your carries, as they require items and levels to be useful.
- Nether Swap has multiple uses despite its simple mechanic. It allows Vengeful Spirit to bring an isolated enemy hero into her team, or to exchange her own life for that of a crucial ally. This very often entails suicide, but because of her ability to function with very few items, it is almost always better for Vengeful Spirit to die than for her allies.
- With good communication, Nether Swap allows you to escape death by swapping with an ally that has potent escape mechanism such as Queen of Pain's Blink without putting them in much danger.
- With Kunkka's X mark the spot on Vengeful Spirit, she can then swap her opponents while being returned back to her exact location afterwards, effectively saving her from imminent death.
- Shadow Blade allows Vengeful Spirit to use Nether Swap and then escape from danger, making it a much more useful spell for initiation. Once invisible, She can engage at an appropriate moment in the ensuing team battle, with bonus damage. Ghost Scepter, Ethereal Blade and even Force Staff also have a similar utility with Nether Swap.
- If being pursued by multiple heroes, Nether Swap can sometimes be used on the enemy hero furthest from you, resulting in the pursuers to overshoot slightly due to a sudden change in direction, giving you extra time to escape in a different pathway though putting you in the opposite direction from your intended escape route.
- Swap goes through magic immunity and interrupts spells, therefore it can be used to stop Magic Immune units from chanelling a spell. This is Vengeful Spirit's main job when there are enemies who use BKB to prevent their spells from being interrupted. For example: If there is an Enigma on the other team, your job as Vengeful Spirit (or indeed as any support) is to stay at back of your team. Should the Enigma use his BKB and then Black Hole, you can swap him out to ruin the initiation.
- Vengeful Spirit can be played as an effective carry if needed. She is not the hardest carry in the game, but can prove deadly in this role if played correctly. Items that focus on reducing foes armour, such as Desolator and Assault Cuirass as well as items that boost her primary attribute such as Ethereal Blade and Butterfly synergize with her skill set and maximize her DPS for this role.
- Magic Missile is the first offensive spell available for arcane spellcaster classes in the famed RPG series, Dungeons & Dragons.
- Previous designs of Vengeful Spirit showed her with a mask that looked similar to her Vengeance Aura ability icon.
- Vengeful Spirit's fun name, "820", is a tribute to former professional DotA player 820.
- In DotA, she was the sister of Mortred, the Phantom Assassin, and her name was Shendelzare Silkwood. In Dota 2, her lore was changed so that she became affiliated with the Skywrath, thus switching her affiliations to Dragonus, the Skywrath Mage.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
March 28, 2013 Patch
- New Vengeful Spirit model.
September 13, 2012 Patch
April 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror affecting couriers.
March 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Wave of Terror hp loss not properly functioning on magic immune units.
October 06, 2011 Patch
- Vengeful Spirit's Magic Missile is more obviously a projectile now.
- Vengeful Spirit now has a new model and weapon.
September 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Nether Swap not destroying trees around the two locations.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Nether Swap not destroying trees around the two locations.
August 03, 2011 Patch
- Updated Vengeful to new model.
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's weapon drawing a square when an illusion.
August 02, 2011 Patch
- Vengeful Spirit: Fixed the range on Wave of Terror. It was huuuuge! now it's the cast range.
July 08, 2011 Patch
- Returning Hero: Vengeful Spirit (Rough Model)
July 01, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Netherswap not getting blocked by Sphere.
- Fixed Roshan/Ancients getting Netherswapped.
- Fixed Vengeance Aura not affecting Siege units.
- Fixed Wave of Terror reveal aoe being slightly lagged.
- Fixed Wave of Terror speed being lower than it should.
June 24, 2011 Patch
- Disabled Blink Dagger for Vengeful Spirit and Pudge. Disabled Quelling Blade for Kunkka.
May 26, 2011 Patch
- Fixed vision duration on Wave of Terror
- New Vengeful Spirit color pass.
March 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Magic Missle projectile speed.
February 19, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror not being lethal.
February 12, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Wave of Terror vision aoe being too small.
February 04, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Courier being affected by Vengeance Aura.
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror to remove health rather than do damage, so it will no longer break things like clarities.
January 30, 2011 Patch
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Increased Nether Swap cast range from 650/925/1200 to 700/950/1200.
- When Vengeful Spirit is killed, Vengeance Aura now inflicts her killer with a negative Vengeance Aura, which decreases the attack damage of the killer and its allies by the same values as the positive aura, within a 900 radius around the killer.
- Increased base strength and gain from 16 + 2.3 to 18 + 2.6.
- Increased Nether Swap cast range from 600/900/1200 to 650/925/1200.
- Increased Wave of Terror damage from 18.75/37.5/56.25/75 to 30/50/70/90.
- Increased agility gain from 2.35 to 2.8.
- Increased base agility from 22 to 27.
- Wave of Terror:
- Vengeful Spirit lets loose a wicked cry, weakening the armor and attack damage of enemies.
- Cast range: 1400
- Wave travel distance: 1400
- Effect radius: 350
- Armor reduction: 2/3/4/5
- Attack damage reduction: 5%/10%/15%/20%
- Duraton: 20
- Manacost: 40
- Cooldown: 15
- Notes: Provides 500 radius flying vision along the wave, which lasts for 3 seconds.
- Nether Swap now destroys trees 300 radius around Vengeful Spirit and the target upon cast.
- Nether Swap can no longer be cast on any non-hero unit.
- Reduced armor reduction from 2/3/4/6 to 2/3/4/5.
- Reduced level requirement from 3/6/9/12 to 1/5/7/9.
- Replaced Disentangle with Terror.
- Increased radius from 500 to 700.
- Increased armor reduction from 2/3/4/5 to 2/3/4/6.
- Now recquires level 3/6/9/12 to be leveled, instead of 1/3/5/7.
- By disassociating herself with this plane, Shandelzare avoids being hit by an offensive spell.
- Manacost: 0
- Cooldown: 220/160/100/40
- Notes: Passively blocks one single targeted spells when off cooldown.
- This ability was temporarily replaced by Disentangle from 6.00 to 6.04, and then replaced by Wave of Terror in the 6.58 gameplay patch.
- Places a debuff on enemy units within the radius. Leaving or entering the radius after cast has no effect.
- Only reduces base damage and that given by the primary attribute of the affected units. Raw bonus damage is not reduced.
- This ability replaced Terror in the 6.00 gameplay patch, but was replaced back by Terror in the 6.04 gameplay patch.
- This ability worked by itself passively, triggering when hit by a single targeted spell. However, the spell was manually castable with no effect, wasting the cooldown.