Shendelzare the Vengeful Spirit is a ranged Agility Hero excelling in ganks, disabling and kill hunts. She is one of the most potent supporters in the game. Effective from early to late game, Vengeful Spirit is typically seen roaming the battlefield, searching for targets to prey on, hitting them with a powerful stun with Magic Missile and reducing their armor and scouting ahead with Wave of Terror. Motivated by her determined vengeance, her Vengeance Aura boosts her bonus attack damage not only for herself, but her allies as well. This makes her an ideal partner for physical gankers and carries, and what makes her a potential Carry herself. Her ultimate Nether Swap switches your position with another hero; ally or enemy. This allows Shendel to swap an enemy key hero making him/her vulnerable or sacrificing herself to save an important ally from death which may be essential to win a clash, or perhaps the entire game. Her unusual reliance on Agility (rather than Intelligence, like most supports) results in her offensive capabilities being remarkably high, at the cost of having a lower mana pool. She needs items perhaps less than any other hero in the game, and as such can be played with great recklessness, as her death is only a slight inconvenience. Shendel requires very selfless and skilled play to operate well, and relies on the competence of teammates as much as herself.
- Usually max Magic Missile first, as aside from being a powerful early-game stun it allows allies to land their own, usually-more-difficult spells. Leaving Missile at level 1 in favor of maxing Wave of Terror is a build often seen among professional players however.
- Besides being an effective disabler, she is a potent interrupter from Magic Missile and Nether Swap.
- Her Vengeance Aura boosts her own damage as well, so do not underestimate her autoattack.
- Be aware that Vengeance Aura will push the lane, depriving your lane partner of farm and increasing the risk of a gank.
- An amazing item on Vengeful Spirit is Medallion of Courage, it gives her a passive +6 armor which makes her tankier, She gets some good mana regen, and when comboed with her Wave of Terror she can drop a target's armor by -12 making most heroes have negative armor while under attack.
- A ganking trick early-game is to Nether Swap an enemy hero into a tower's range, then use Magic Missile to stun them. With the tower's help you should easily kill the hero.
- Vengeful Spirit can complement attribute-based carries like Sven, Drow Ranger, and Riki as both her aura and armor reduction enhances their damage. Keep in mind that her aura does not improve bonus damage from items and so is less effective for heroes who rely on such items. She is also effective in helping spells that are hard to land, such as Lina's Light Strike Array.
- Wave of Terror is an armour reduction spell with very little mana cost, and should be used in every encounter. It can be used to reveal the fog of war to scout out possible ambushes or to reveal an area for a Nether Swap.
- Vengeful Spirit can be an item-independent hero, meaning she can be effective even with minimal items. She should constantly be ganking your opponents keeping enemy carries in check, warding and de-warding maps or assist in pushes. Reserve the farming for your carries, as they require items and levels to be useful.
- Nether Swap has multiple uses despite its simple mechanic. It allows Vengeful Spirit to bring an isolated enemy hero into her team, or to exchange her own life for that of a crucial ally. This very often entails suicide, but because of her ability to function with very few items, it is almost always better for Vengeful Spirit to die than for her allies.
- With good communication, Nether Swap allows you to escape death by swapping with an ally that has potent escape mechanism such as Queen of Pain's Blink without putting them in much danger.
- With Kunkka's X mark the spot on Vengeful Spirit, she can then swap her opponents while being returned back to her exact location afterwards, effectively saving her from imminent death.
- Shadow Blade allows Vengeful Spirit to use Nether Swap and then escape from danger, making it a much more useful spell for initiation. Once invisible, She can engage at an appropriate moment in the ensuing team battle, with bonus damage. Ghost Scepter, Ethereal Blade and even Force Staff also have a similar utility with Nether Swap.
- If being pursued by multiple heroes, Nether Swap can sometimes be used on the enemy hero furthest from you, resulting in the pursuers to overshoot slightly due to a sudden change in direction, giving you extra time to escape in a different pathway though putting you in the opposite direction from your intended escape route.
- Swap goes through magic immunity and interrupts spells, therefore it can be used to stop Magic Immune units from chanelling a spell. This is Vengeful Spirit's main job when there are enemies who use BKB to prevent their spells from being interrupted. For example: If there is an Enigma on the other team, your job as Vengeful Spirit (or indeed as any support) is to stay at back of your team. Should the Enigma use his BKB and then Black Hole, you can swap him out to ruin the initiation.
- Vengeful Spirit can be played as an effective carry if needed. She is not the hardest carry in the game, but can prove deadly in this role if played correctly. Items that focus on reducing foes armour, such as Desolator and Assault Cuirass as well as items that boost her primary attribute such as Ethereal Blade and Butterfly synergize with her skill set and maximize her DPS for this role.
- Magic Missile is the first offensive spell available for arcane spellcaster classes in the famed RPG series, Dungeons & Dragons.
- Previous designs of Vengeful Spirit showed her with a mask that looked similar to her Vengeance Aura ability icon.
- Vengeful Spirit's fun name, "820", is a tribute to former professional DotA player 820.
- In DotA, she was the sister of Mortred, the Phantom Assassin, and her name was Shendelzare Silkwood. In Dota 2, her lore was changed so that she became affiliated with the Skywrath, thus switching her affiliations to Dragonus, the Skywrath Mage.
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror affecting couriers.
- Fixed Wave of Terror hp loss not properly functioning on magic immune units.
- Vengeful Spirit's Magic Missile is more obviously a projectile now.
- Vengeful Spirit now has a new model and weapon.
- Fixed Nether Swap not destroying trees around the two locations.
- Fixed Nether Swap not destroying trees around the two locations.
- Updated Vengeful to new model.
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's weapon drawing a square when an illusion.
- Vengeful Spirit: Fixed the range on Wave of Terror. It was huuuuge! now it's the cast range.
- Returning Hero: Vengeful Spirit (Rough Model)
- Fixed Netherswap not getting blocked by Sphere.
- Fixed Roshan/Ancients getting Netherswapped.
- Fixed Vengeance Aura not affecting Siege units.
- Fixed Wave of Terror reveal aoe being slightly lagged.
- Fixed Wave of Terror speed being lower than it should.
- Disabled Blink Dagger for Vengeful Spirit and Pudge. Disabled Quelling Blade for Kunkka.
- Fixed vision duration on Wave of Terror
- New Vengeful Spirit color pass.
- Fixed Magic Missle projectile speed.
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror not being lethal.
- Fixed Wave of Terror vision aoe being too small.
- Fixed Courier being affected by Vengeance Aura.
- Fixed Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror to remove health rather than do damage, so it will no longer break things like clarities.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Wave of Terror cooldown increased from 15 to 20
- Nether Swap range increased from 650/925/1200 to 700/950/1200.
- When Vengeful Spirit is slain, her killer is inflicted with a negative Vengeance Aura, which decreases the damage of her killer and their nearby allies, until she revives.
- Wave of Terror armor reduction increased from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Can now use Blink Dagger.
- If you Nether Swap a unit onto an unpathable ledge, the unit gains free pathing for 5 seconds.
- Strength increased from 16 + 2.3 to 18 + 2.6.
- Nether Swap cast range rescaled from 600/900/1200 to 650/925/1200.
- Wave of Terror damage increased from 18.75/37.5/56.25/75 to 30/50/70/90
- Agility gain increased from 2.35 to 2.8.
- Removed the small attack damage reduction aspect of Wave of Terror.
- Magic Missile stun duration rescaled from 1.75 to 1.45/1.55/1.65/1.75.
- Magic Missile manacost rescaled from 95/110/125/140 to 110/120/130/140.
- Wave of Terror now reduces HP instead of dealing damage (same overall HP loss, but now does not disable clarity/dagger/etc).
- Improved base Agility from 22 to 27.
- Base Attack Time decreased from 1.77 to 1.7 (normal value).
- Added Vengeful Spirit to Aghanim's Scepter. Improves cooldown (45->10 cooldown).
- Terror replaced with Wave of Terror.
- Old Terror:
- Reduces damage and armor of units in an area around you.
- AoE: 700. Cooldown: 15. Duration: 20. Damage Reduction: 5/10/15/20%. Armor Reduction: 2/3/4/5.
- Wave of Terror:
- Releases a wave of terror moving forward that reduces enemy units armor and damage. You have vision over the wave as it moves forward.
- Wave Distance: 1400. AoE: 350. Cooldown: 15. Duration: 20. Damage Reduction: 5/10/15/20%. Armor Reduction: 2/3/4/5.
- Old Terror:
- Vengeance Aura AOE increased.
- If a target is swapped into trees, those trees are destroyed (to help against some swap abuses)
- Nether Swap can only target heroes, not creeps
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Terror AOE now 700 from 500 and Armor reduction now 2/3/4/5 from 3/4/5/6 but now learns at 3/6/9/12