Undying the Almighty Dirge is a melee Strength Hero who serves as a formidable tank and a dangerous spellcaster. His abilities force opponents to either kill him or suffer powerful debuffs in a teamfight. Decay is a spammable ability that steals enemies' Strength in an area, making them more fragile and Undying himself more durable as the fight goes on while also being exceptionally potent during the early laning phase, leaving your opponents with mere scraps of health. Soul Rip can act as both a powerful heal or nuke, redirecting the flow of living energy to a target. By ripping some of the health of his ally or enemy in an area, the target can be healed if an ally, or damaged if an enemy. This is empowered by Tombstone, which acts as a static tank by summoning Zombies to slow Undying's foes while active. With the Zombies summoned, Soul Rip can perform to its fullest, while Decay weakens Undying's foes. Finally, Undying can transform into a horrific Flesh Golem. This transformation increases all allied damage by a significant percentage, and helps keep him alive as his team kills the enemy. Monstrous and truly sadomasochistic, Undying finds great pleasure in keeping himself alive and vital, while his adversaries suffer as he delivers death to the field. With powerful abilities that allow him to perform well in large fights, the Dirge may never cease.
- Decay is very useful even if left at level 1. Max it when team battles begin to start: you can spam it even more and make enemies squishier.
- Undying can be played in many ways: if you're going for a more supportive role, use your Tombstone and your Flesh Golem to slow the enemies while spamming Decay, then let your lane partner get the kill. Otherwise, use Soul Rip to finish a Hero while there are many creeps nearby: this way it will deal more damage.
- Don't use Soul Rip to harass, but use it to heal a friendly hero or to finish off enemies. This is more effective if there are many units nearby, such as creeps if you're laning, or heroes if you're initiating.
- Remember that Soul Rip can be used to heal your tombstone.
- While initiating, use Tombstone and Flesh Golem, then Decay/Soul Rip: this way these abilities will deal more damage.
- Though his spells are individually quite cheap, you will almost always have mana problems since both Soul Rip and especially Decay are very spammable. Consider getting Arcane Boots during the laning phase, then disassembling it once you have enough to buy the remaining pieces of a Bloodstone. You can then convert your standard boots to Phase Boots allowing you the mobility and chase power to keep Flesh Golem's powerful aura on the right targets during a teamfight.
- Another good item for Undying in the early game is Soul Ring. After using Soul Ring, you can cast decay for free. If you hit 2 or more Heros with this spell, you make up for the HP cost for Soul Ring.
- If you don't have enough money to buy a Bloodstone in time or you'd prefer cheaper items, try to make yourself as tanky as possible: if you're initiating, enemies will target you first. That's why you need an early Vanguard and/or a Hood of Defiance if the opposing team has a lot of nukers. Other useful items that increase your HP are Rod of Atos, which will probably solve most of your mana problems too, and Heart of Tarrasque.
- If a ward spot is nearby at the outset of a fight, remember that you can cast your Tombstone on top of it, making it invisible to enemy heroes (unless they have a ward up there). You can also use the Tombstone as a temporary ward anywhere thanks to it's long duration, but this is not usually advised as it has a lengthy cooldown.
- Should the enemy team have an Earthshaker, it is unwise to place a tombstone at the beginning of a teamfight. Each zombie will cause the echo to deal extra damage, likely obliterating your entire team (or at the very least severely injuring them).
- Zombies are magic immune, but will take full damage from AoE physical abilities. Be aware of heroes with these abilities that can easily deal with your Tombstone zombies, such as Gyrocopter's flak cannon, Axe's counter helix or Bristleback's quill spray.
- If Naga Siren is on your team, be aware that Tombstone will summon zombies even when the enemy targets are sleeping and untargetable. This can be used to your advantage.
- In a fight, a Broodmother's Spiderlings can be a valuable weapon. The mass amounts of spiderlings will easily bring your Soul Rip to maximum effect in the late-game, making her a powerful partner to gank with.
- In DotA, his hero name was Dirge, and his hero title was Undying.
- Undying was originally an intelligence hero. His skill set was completely changed upon becoming a strength hero:
- Raise Dead was his former third ability, in which he can summon five zombies at will. When a zombie dies, Undying rejuvenates a percentage of their health. Because this ability didn't require corpses, it was an excellent tool for jungling, pushing, and overpowering a hero.
- Heartstopper Aura was originally his second ability when he was an intelligence hero. This aura degenerates the health regeneration of his enemies who stand in his area. When he was changed to a STR hero, this ability was transferred to Necrophos.
- Plague, his old ultimate, curses a target to be greatly slowed and take amplified damage. The target is then cursed with a disease that infects his nearby allied units, afflicting them with the same effect. This is a great ultimate for disorienting positions, ganking, as well as pushing.
- Undying makes several references to the Left 4 Dead series, saying names of special infected, campaign names, and even the title itself in his dialogue.
- One notable reference is Undying's line, "Play No dead are safe from Blueheart Bob."; this phrase is highly similar to the famous Left 4 Dead "Chicago Ted" graffiti line ("No zombie is safe from Chicago Ted").
- Undying also references the Half Life series in a rival line towards Tinker ("Play For Lamarr."). Dr. Kleiner, who shares his voice actor with Tinker, has a pet headcrab named Lamarr. Headcrabs are small, parasitic creatures that attach themselves to the head of their victims, after which the victims turn into zombies.
- Undying's taunt against Kunkka a reference to the famous Parrot Sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus ("Play Where is your ex-parrot?").
- Undying's taunt against Invoker is a reference to the 6.72's leaked changelog, where Invoker's name "Kael" was mistakenly translated into "Carl". ("Play Carl? Is that you?")
- A dirge is a sombre song of mourning or grieving, typically performed at a funeral.
- Undying's line, "Play Shop smart." is a reference to the Army of Darkness movie.
- Undying has the lowest stat growth of any hero, along with Skywrath Mage.
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Zombie units losing HP with Soul Rip.
- Fixed Backswing behavior with Rupture, Viscous Nasal Goo, Fissure, Decay and Earthshock.
- [Undocumented] Added animations for Beastmaster, Undying, and Venomancer relating to their loadout stance.
- Fixed Decay providing too much healing to Undying.
- Zombies now correctly disable Blink Dagger.
- Fixed Tombstone spawning zombies against couriers.
- Fixed Tombstone receiving too much aggro from towers.
- Fixed Zombies not dying when their target becomes invisible.
- Fixed Tombstone not spawning zombies near sleeping enemy units.
- Fixed a bug with Flesh Golem dropping the damage amplification too low outside of maximum distance.
- Fixed a case where early game Zombies could sometimes get stuck with an earlier or invalid level of Deathlust into the late game.
- Fixed Zombies being controllable when their target goes invisible.
- Enabled Templar Assassin, Disruptor and Undying in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Jinada proccing on Tombstone.
- Fixed Spiderling passive proccing on magic immune units (like zombies) and spawning mass spiderlings.
- Fixed Tombstone interaction with Refresher Orb.
- Fixed Deathlust sometimes not working properly.
- Fixed a bug where Deathlust would sometimes not go away.
- Decay now makes the target lose exactly 76 health when cast and heal exactly 76 when it ends. Before the health scaling was causing the target not to lose then gain the correct amount of health.
- Added Disruptor and Undying!
- Tombstone Area of effect increased from 400/600/800/1000 to 600/800/1000/1200
- Aghanim's Scepter Undying damage amplification increased by 5% at all levels, both min and max
- Aghanim's Scepter Minimum Damage Amplification from 10/15/20% to 15/20/25%
- Aghanim's Scepter Maximum Damage Amplification from 25/30/35% to 30/35/40%
- Slow aura increased from 9% to variable from 5% to 15%, based on distance to Undying (same mechanic as the damage amplification)
- Intelligence growth increased from 2.0 to 2.5.
- Soul Rip area of effect increased from 975 to 1300.
- Tombstone Zombie Deathlust's Max % health threshold increased from 5/10/15/20% to 20/25/30/35%.
- Tombstone Zombies no longer give any experience or gold.
- Tombstone Bounty increased from 70/90/110/130 to 75/100/125/150.
- Flesh Golem's Plague Aura now affects magic immune units.
- Soul Rip cooldown reduced from 25/20/15/10 to 24/18/12/6.
- Decay steal duration increased from 25/30/35/40 to 40.
- Soul Rip cast range increased from 650 to 750.
- Decay damage reduced from 40/80/120/160 to 20/60/100/140.
- Steal duration increased from 21/24/27/30 to 25/30/35/40.
- AoE increased from 300 to 325.
- Tombstone's Death Lust HP requirement also triggers if the target is below 5/10/15/20% HP.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Tombstone no longer generates usable corpses.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Undying previously had 100 range.
- Flesh Golem's Plague slow increased from 7% to 9%.
- Decay damage from 30/60/90/120 to 40/80/120/160.
- Tombstone cast range increased from 250 to 600.
- Tombstone's HP increased from 150/300/450/600 to 200/400/600/800.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter for Undying.
- Regular Plague Aura
- Plague Aura amplifies up to 20% / 25% / 30% max and heals for 6% of heroes and 2% of creeps
- Scepter Upgraded Plague Aura
- Plague Aura amplifies up to 25% / 30% / 35% and heals for 10% of heroes and 3% of creeps
- Regular Plague Aura
- Flesh Golem Dying plagued units heal reduced from 12%/3% on heroes/creeps to 6%/2%
- Tombstone armor reduced from 10 to 4
- Lowered Base Armor by 3 points (6 to 3).
- Tombstone no longer spawns zombies to attack fogged units.
- Hero Class: Strength
- Attack Range: 100. Movement Speed 310. Cast Point 0.45.
- Strength: 25 + 2.1. Agility: 10 + 0.8. Intelligence: 27 + 2.8.
- Dirge saps away the strength of enemy heroes and retains it for a period of time.
- Steals 4 Strength from each hero for 21/24/27/30 seconds
- Deals 30/60/90/120 Magical Damage
- Manacost 70/90/110/130. Cooldown 11/9/7/5. Cast Range 625. AOE: 300.
- Soul Rip
- Redirects the flow of living energy through a target friend or foe, damaging them or healing them depending on how many units are near it. 25 for each unit.
- This does not hurt zombies below since they are magic immune.
- This can target your tombstone.
- Unit Cap: 5/10/15/20. Cooldown: 25/20/15/10. Manacost: 50/75/100/125.
- Unholy powers summon a cursed tombstone. Zombies will frequently spawn near each enemy unit and attack them. Zombies have a passive that additively slow their target by 7%. Zombies cannot be controlled.
- Spawn area: 400/600/800/1000. Frequency: 3. Slow Duration: 2.5 seconds.
- Zombie Stats:
- HP: 30. Armor: 0. Armor Type: Unarmored. Magic Resistance: Immune. Damage: 37-45. Attack Type: Pierce. Attack Speed: 1.6. Movement Speed: 375. Bounty: 5-7
- Deathlust: If the target the zombie is attacking is below 100/200/300/400 hit points, it gains 50% movement and attack speed bonus.
- Tombstone Duration: 15/20/25/30. Tombstone HP: 150/300/450/600. Tombstone Armor: 10, Tombstone Armor Type: Medium. Tombstone Other Stats: Magic Immune, No regen. Tombstone Bounty: 70/90/110/130. Cooldown: 60. Cast Range: 250. Manacost: 120/130/140/150.
- Flesh Golem's
- Dirge's hatred for all living beings allows him to transform into a monster. While he's transformed he carries a plague that affects nearby enemy units. Strength of the plague depends on how close the enemy is. Amplifies damage enemy units receive and reduces their movement speed (7%). When a plagued unit dies, its essence is transferred back to the Undying.
- Cooldown: 90. Duration: 30. Mana cost: 100.
- Plague Aura Damage Amplification: (old plague was 20/25/30%)
- at max distance (700): 5/10/15%
- at closest distance (150): 20/25/30%
- In between is just an even spread between the numbers
- Units that die under plague release their energy to you. Creeps heal you for 3% and Heroes for 12% of your Max HP.
- Improved cast range and cooldown on Plague.
- Changed Soul Rip allied damage to hp loss to prevent it from dispelling consumables.
- Improved cooldown progression on Soul Rip.
- Improved cast range and cooldown on Plague.
- Lowered Living Dead bounty and increased their magic resistance
- Reduced the slow effect on Dirge's Plague
- Nerfed Plague damage amplification by 5% and changed the duration from 7/9/11 to 7/8/9 seconds
- Lowered hp/armor on Raise Dead summons and increased bounty a little
- Nerfed str gain on Dirge
Pre-6.58 rework Abilities