17 + 2.2
21 + 2.75
13 + 1
Jah'rakal the Troll Warlord is a ranged Agility hero able to output mighty damage competitively at range and in melee. His Berserker's Rage gives him the unique ability to change his attack position from ranged to melee and back at will as the situation prefers. When in close combat, his stats are increased accordingly: he gains bonus damage, armor, movement speed, health, reduced base attack time, and the ability to Bash. Not only does this greatly improve the Troll Warlord, but allows him to overpower most other carries, as well as permabash a target for extended amounts of time. The Troll Warlord is an axe specialist, using them in his unique Whirling Axes. Whirling Axes has two variations: the first is available to his ranged form wherein he throws five axes in a cone formation to damage and slow enemies down. The second is available to his melee form, unleashing axes around himself in a small radius to damage and blind nearby enemies. In keeping with his savage nature, Fervor builds up the Warlord's momentum. With each consecutive hit on the same target, he gains increased attack speed, up to a maximum of 4 stacks. His Ultimate, Battle Trance, increases the attack speed of all of his allies globally, making it useful both for teamfights and to shred towers down quickly. Notorious for his superbly fast attack speed that can be matched by few, Jah'rakal is truly a force to be reckoned with.
| Jah'rakal, the Troll Warlord
| Play "The strong shall eat the weak."
|| It's an easy thing to offend a troll. A prickly and contentious race, trolls thrive on argument and strife, missing no excuse to raise their voices in dispute. Males grow to maturity in subterranean chambers beneath their matriarch's domicile, feeding and amusing themselves while contributing nothing. Often they stay for years beyond the age of maturity, while the matriarch provides them with sustenance. When young trolls are finally pushed from their sub-chamber, they gather with others of their kind, forming roving gangs of malcontents who complain loudly about all manner of vexation.
As much as trolls love to argue, imagine how rare it is for a troll to be driven from his own kind for being too difficult to get along with. Such was Jah'rakal's fate, a monger troll from deep in the Hoven. So deluded was he, so bitter and abrasive, that even other trolls found his company intolerable. After one particularly vitriolic outburst in which he claimed the lion's share of loot from their latest raid, his cohorts finally snapped. They turned on him, beat him with clubs, and drove him from the encampment. Enraged at his banishment, he returned the next day, armed with steel, and slew them all, one by one. He then swore a blood oath: he would ever after be a fighting force unto himself. Now he roams the world as the Troll Warlord, bitter and angry, the Imperial high commander of an army of one.
|| Nolan North (Responses)
- The axes travel at a speed of 1500.
- Spawns 5 axes which spread up to 25° degrees and affect units within 100 radius around them.
- Has no starting radius, the axes spawn on one point infront of Troll Warlord. So the total area is shaped like a cone.
- Can hit units up to 1045 range away (945 travel distance + 100 axes radius).
- Ranged Whirling Axes do not affect Roshan.
- Interrupts Troll Warlord's channeling spells upon cast.
- If Troll Warlord dies, the the spell ends and the axes disappear.
- The axes always spawn towards east and west at Troll Warlord's position and rotate clock-wise.
- The axes travel at a speed of 1250 and move out at a speed of 233.33 until reaching the max distance in 1.5 seconds and then move back to Troll Warlord at the same speed.
- Only units within 100 range of an axe get damaged and blinded.
- Can hit units up to 450 range away (350 max spin radius + 100 axes radius)
- The visual effects of this spell are offset and don't reflect the actual currently affected area.
- Melee Whirling Axes do not affect Roshan.
- Troll Warlord gains or loses stacks as soon as he reaches his attack point.
- With maximum stacks, Fervor increases attack speed by 64/88/112/136.
- The sound effect is global for allies and local for enemies. Enemies can't hear it when having no vision over Troll Warlord.
- Phase Boots help you to escape bad situations as well get close to enemies to take advantage of your more powerful melee form.
- Black King Bar is core on troll because Battle Trance only gives you 5 seconds to do crazy amounts of damage. Every second matters, and stuns and disables potentially make you unable to do anything for several seconds, costing you an important teamfight.
- Helm of the Dominator provides lifesteal which works well with your high attack speed. You can dominate a neutral creep with it to make soloing Roshan easier.
- Yasha because his base movement speed is high, this item is a good choice as it adds agility and even more movement speed. Upgrade it into either a Sange and Yasha for some durability and slow, or Manta Style for the illusions. Not only can Troll create illusions from Manta, but it can also dispel some debuffs when its active is activated.
- Shadow Blade offers cost effective attack speed and damage increases, strong initiation and mobility, and a mediocre escape.
- Helm of the Dominator can be upgraded into a Satanic which when coupled with Troll's passive attack speed buffs, can allow Troll to go from little to full health in only a few seconds, while it also provides a large strength buff.
- Daedalus gives your attacks a great deal of damage. Because he can reach the maximum attack speed with his ultimate and passive, he can focus on damage and get multiple Daedalus to crit more often and lifesteal even more.
- Monkey King Bar can also be picked up to counter evasion against heroes such as Phantom Assassin, and give a greater punch to your physical strikes including tower pushing. The mini bash can also help cancel spells/items that require channeling such as Town Portal Scroll.
- Butterfly provides a massive agility and attack speed bonus as well as evasion. A good choice to continue to perma bash when your ultimate is over while the evasion combined with whirling axes makes you almost untouchable. The Flutter ability allows you to chase or escape.
Berserker's Rage bash average stats
Berserker's Rage Bash average defense value
- At level 25 without items and with 4 stacks of fervor and his ultimate Troll Warlord reaches 403/500 attack speed.
- Troll Warlord is faster in melee mode, making it easier to chase or escape from enemies. It also increases your health and armor, so switching to melee form whenever damage is received reduces the overall damage you take. On the other side, being in ranged form makes healing effects more effective, since the current health percentage stays the same when switching between melee and ranged.
- The melee and ranged versions of whirling Axes have separate cooldowns. Keep this in mind when in battle, so that you can output more damage with them.
- When your target enemy is starting to become harder to chase in melee form, keep in mind that you still have a Ranged form. Ranged Whirling Axes can aid in crippling them, so that you can revert back to melee form to finish them off.
- Augment Troll Warlord's power with damage-boosting items, since his power lies in his excellent attack speed.
- Ally buffs such as Magnus's Empower can also be a good source of boosting damage.
- Because of its scaling boost to attack speed Fervor is usually leveled up last with 1 point at level 4 for tower pushing/roshan/beating on a single hero. Having your movespeed and bash duration higher will greatly benefit your survivability and chase, since Fervor is extremely good with even only 1 skill point. But keep in mind that since a recent update the first stack is always active.
- It's better to focus on one target rather than switching from one to another, since Fervor makes him more dangerous the more he attacks the same target with each blow.
- Attack speed items such as Gloves of Haste and Hyperstone allow you to build up Fervor more quickly, but do not scale well if you opt to max it early on.
- If you're 6-slotted, sell any attack speed items for higher damage items. With all skills levelled, Troll Warlord easily achieves his maximum attack speed, so items like Mjollnir are much less useful.
- Drum of Endurance and Sange and Yasha are strong items coupled with the bonuses from Berserker's Rage, giving you even greater mobility to prevent kiting.
- Maelstrom, Mjollnir, Orb of Venom and Eye of Skadi are the only few Unique Attack Modifiers that stack with the commonly opted HotD.
- Heroes who mainly auto-attack benefit greatly from Battle Trance. Try to draft at least one more hard hitting carry for your team to get the most out of it. If your team insists on picking four carries, Battle Trance can often be the saving grace for a horribly gold starved team as it equates to more than a free seven second Hyperstone for everyone at its first level. Contently look at the map and use Battle Trance at any engagement of allies to give them an advantage. Check at the map at use your ultimate everytime someone is fighting or pushing. Communicate with your team to know when exactly you need to activate your ultimate. Be sure to always have enough mana, buy a Ring of Basilius to get more mana regen.
- Battle Trance can be used to help allies in many ways even if you are not there, as the effects are global, that is why Troll is often played mid to reach level 6 quickly (and do a fast Roshan at the same time). Whether you have someone pushing a tower such as Nature's Prophet or Lycan, if Faceless Void has used Chronosphere, Legion Commander Duel or if Ursa is Roshing, heroes with high base damage but low attack speed like Tiny, be sure to help your friends by using your Ultimate!
- Battle Trance does not buff Illusions, but it does work on Meepo and his clones allowing to reach the highest DPS of the game. Because Meepo is excellent at pouncing on enemies, he can generally obliterate anyone instantly once he blink/poofs in under the effects of Battle Trance. He can use Troll's ultimate to destroy buildings in backdoor.
- With the bonus attack speed when Troll Warlord is picked, some heroes can focuses on damages Daedalus or Monkey King Bar instead of attack speed.
- Jah'rakal's lore and certain dialogue lines make several references to Internet trolls, a type of identity or role assumed by certain Internet users.
- Troll Warlord, along with Phantom Assassin, has the lowest intelligence growth in the game (+1 per level).
- Troll Warlord's alternate name in DotA was Cory Clark a nod to the famous internet troll.
- His skill set was completely changed by the time DotA went into version 6.60 and above. His abilities were either modified, or replaced. Some of these changes are as follows:
- Berserker's Rage used to cost mana.
- Blind was arguably his trademark ability, and the very reason why he was called the Blinding Axe in the lore of DotA. An intense light blinds his enemy, causing some of their attacks to miss.
- Fervor used to be Beastmaster's recent Inner Beast, where it was an attack speed-enhancing aura.
- Rampage, his old ultimate, is where he goes into animalistic berserk state, increasing his movement speed and boosting his attack speed to an ultimate level for a long period of time. This ability is able to give him instant blinding speed and the potential to wipe out five heroes separately, thus, it was the inspiration of the name of a five hero kill from a single hero "Rampage".
- Battle Trance's Play sound effect is based on Play this and Play this line combined.
February 02, 2015 Patch
December 17, 2014 Patch
- Fixed Fervor stack count being 1 stack too slow
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
June 04, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a number of slightly incorrect properties with Whirling Axes.
April 25, 2013 Patch
February 14, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a case where ranged Troll Warlord can Bash when attacking while transforming.
- Added a "fast" attack animation that will only trigger when his attack speed is above 210.
February 07, 2013 Patch
January 25, 2013 Patch
January 24, 2013 Patch
- Added Troll Warlord!
- Reduced Whirling Axes (Ranged) cooldown from 20 to 20/19/18/17.
- Increased acquisition range from 600 to 800.
- This affects autoattack range. He now uses the same range as other ranged heroes.
- Rescaled attack speed bonus per stack from 20 on each level to 16/22/28/34.
- Rescaled max stacks cap from 2/3/4/5 to 4 on each level.
- Battle Trance
- Increased cooldown from 20 to 30.
- Reduced duration from 10 to 7.
- Increased Battle Trance duration on allies from 5 to 10 (same duration as for Troll Warlord).
- Increased Battle Trance attack speed bonus from 60/100/140 to 60/120/180.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Whirling Axes (Ranged) now deals 75 damage.
- Increased attack speed bonus per stack from 5/10/15/20 to 20 on each level.
- Rescaled max stacks cap from 20/10/7/5 to 2/3/4/5.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Whirling Axes:
- Troll is a master of the axe, learning axe skills in all forms of combat. When in melee form, summons magical axes to whirl around him in a circle, damaging enemies and causing them to have a chance to miss attacks. When in ranged form, Troll hurls a fistful of axes in cone formation. Enemy units hit by the axes are slowed.
- This ability is divided into 2. One of them is only available in ranged form, while the other is only available in melee form. Both use separate cooldowns.
- Ranged Form:
- Hurls 5 axes towards the targeted direction. Enemy unts which are hit are slowed.
- Cast point: 0.2
- Cast range: 900
- Travel distance: 900
- Axes spread radius: ~200
- Axe radius: 100
- Movement speed slow: 30%
- Slow duration: 3/3.75/4.5/5.25
- manacost: 50
- Cooldown: 20
- Notes: The axes start at Troll's position and spread in a cone formation forwards.
- Melee Form:
- Troll unleashes 2 axes which whirl around him, dealing damage and causing enemies to miss some of their attacks.
- Cast point: 0.2
- Spin Radius: 450
- Axe radius: 100
- Damage: 125/175/225/275
- Miss chance: 60%
- Miss duration: 4/5/6/7
- Manacost: 50
- Cooldown: 12
- Notes: The axes spawn at troll's position and start spinning outwards up to 450 range away from Troll Warlord and then start to retract back to him. It takes 1.5 seconds for the axes to reach max range and 1.5 seconds again to retract. The radius is centered around Troll the whole time.
- Berserker's Rage
- Increased bash proc chance from 5%/5%/10%/10% to 10% on each level.
- Rescaled bash damage from 25/50/25/50 to 20/30/40/50.
- Reduced bash stun duration from 2 on each level to 0.8/1.2/1.6/2.
- Increased Battle Trance attacks peed bonus from 60/80/100 to 60/100/140.
- Increased miss chance from 15%/24%/33%/42% to 20%/28%/36%/44%.
- Increased cooldown from 8 on each level to 15/12/9/6.
- Reworked Fervor
- Old Fervor:
- Passively increases the attack speed of all nearby friendly units.
- Radius: 600
- Attack speed bonus: 5/15/20/30
- Notes: The aura's buff lingers for 2-4 seconds.
- New Fervor:
- With each continuous attack on the same target, Jah'rakal gains more attack speed. If he changes targets, the current stacked bonus drops to half of where it was.
- Attack speed bonus per stack: 5/10/15/20
- Max stacks: 20/10/7/5
- Notes: The attack speed bonus lasts permanently, drops by 50% when a different unit is attacked and is lost upon death.
- Battle Trance
- Jah'rakal unconsciously uses dormant magic to awaken the savagery of every warrior on the battlefield. Greatly increases attack speed for a short duration. Lasts longer on Troll Warlord himself.
- Radius: Global
- Attack speed bonus: 60/80/100
- Duration on allies: 5
- Duration on self: 8
- Manacost: 75
- Cooldown: 20
- Notes: Affects all allied heroes on the map.
- Increased Fervor radius from 300 to 600.
- Rampage now interrupts channeling spells upon cast.
- Increased manacost from 100/150/200 to 100/150/205.
- Reduced cast point from 0.3 to 0.
- Now ignores cast backswing.
- No longer interrupts channeling spells upon cast.
- Increased base movement speed from 285 to 300.
- Reduced movement speed bonus from 7%/9%/11% to 5%/7%/9%.
- Reduced cooldown from 90/80/70 to 55 on each level.
- Reduced manacost from 100/150/205 to 100/150/200.
- Can no longer be dispelled.
- Increased cast point from 0 to 0.3.
- No longer ignores cast backswing.
- Now interrupts channeling spells upon cast.
- Increased Berserker's Rage movement speed bonus from 20 on each level to 20/20/20/30.
- Increased base attack damage from 6-29 to 17-35 (total damage is now 38-56).
- Berserker's Rage
- Rescaled attack damage bonus from 27-12 to 15-15.
- Increased armor bonus from 2 to 3.
- Berserker's Rage
- Rescaled bash damage from 50/25/25/50 to 25/50/25/50.
- Increased bash stun duration from 0.1/2/2/2 to 2 on each level.
- Reduced Rampage movement speed bonus from 7%/14%/21% to 7%/9%/11%.
- Changed Blind legacy hotkey from B to D.
- Changed Fervor legacy key from E to F.
- This ability was replaced by Whirling Axes in the 6.72 gameplay patch.
- Applies blind on the target.
- Can be set on Auto-Cast
- When set on Auto-Cast, Troll Warlord will automatically cast this spell on the closest enemy unit which does not have the Blind debuff on already
- Only casts it on enemies which attack Troll Warlord or his allies. Does cast it on neutral creeps when they are not aggroed.
- Auto-Cast cannot interrupt Troll Warlord's current order and cannot occur while channeling a spell.
- This ability was replaced by Battle Trance in the 6.60 gameplay patch.
- Interrupts Troll Warlord's channeling spells upon cast.