Rooftrellen the Treant Protector is a melee strength hero who excels in supporting and strengthening his allies with his beneficial set of spells using the power of nature. He is a natural tank, offensively and defensively, having both the highest natural attack damage, and the second highest overall Strength in the game. Manipulating the power of the plants to his will, he can grant invisibility and stealth to himself and his allies with Nature's Guise, provided that they remain within close proximity to a tree. He can use Leech Seed to sap the life from a target, slowing and dealing moderate damage over time to it while nearby allies are replenished by the same amount. His signature Living Armor makes him truly live up his title, as he is able to provide allies and even friendly buildings increased health regeneration and a massive damage block from anywhere on the map. Finally, his ultimate Overgrowth entangles nearby enemies with vines, branches, and roots; though it does not deal any damage, it will immobilize them and render them unable to attack for several crucial seconds. Although Treant Protector is not able to dish out much damage outside of his regular attacks, he is able to provide an enormous amount of defensive utility and survivability to himself and his teammates, thereby planting the seeds of a decisive victory.
- Using Nature's Guise on allies during a gank gives them the element of surprise, and owing to the extremely variable nature of this mechanic the enemy team will struggle to use Sentry Wards to prevent this.
- If time permits, you can use it on your whole team just before a team-fight to obtain a similar effect from Mirana's Moonlight Shadow. This will enable your team to properly initiate assuming that the enemy team does not have proper detection or they did not see you cast it.
- Always watch the map, your Living Armor may make the difference between a farmed team-mate or a farmed enemy. If one of your team-mates is ganked, cast Living Armor on them to discourage the enemy from continuing or even to remove the need for your team-mate to retreat and enabling them to farm more.
- Your auto-attack animation and rate are slow, but pack a huge punch. With a little practice, you can put that power to use and greatly assist your lane partner by denying units. A Quelling Blade will also help you secure farm your carry might have otherwise missed or denied by the enemy.
- Living Armor can heal buildings. If you have time, and no one else requires it, cast Living Armor on damaged towers. Granted, the ratio of health gained to total health of buildings may be small, but its duration is as long as its cooldown, so you can keep it constantly regenerating health, provided you have enough mana.
- Although he is quite tanky, his offensive output is very minimal and once he has initiated with Overgrowth he should conceal himself, firing Leech Seeds from nearby trees (keep in mind at all times that Treant Protector can use abilities without breaking his invisibility).
- In a gank, use Nature's Guise to sneak around behind the enemies, as if Leech Seed is used on an enemy running towards you instead of away from you escape will be almost impossible; to say nothing of Overgrowth.
- In most circumstances Rooftrellen is most wisely built to maximise his abilities' usage, his lack of mobility and damaging spells mean he is best suited to securing kills for his allies via his slowing and disabling abilities.
- A Soul Ring is a good early pick-up for Rooftrellen, as it allows him to spam his Leech Seed as an effective harassment tool while also healing off the damage from the Soul Ring. It also helps solve his mana problems early to mid game. This could also be picked-up if you're opting for a Tranquil Boots instead of an Arcane Boots if your team-mates don't need the extra mana. Choosing Tranquil Boots over Arcane Boots will make it easier for Rooftrellen to roam the map and regenerate health between ganks.
- This could also be built into a Bloodstone if the situation permits. It will enable him to use his Nature's Guise and Living Armor without worrying about mana consumption.
- You can cast spells when you're invisible with Nature's Guise. If you are equipped with items with powerful active abilities, like Necronomicon, Shiva's Guard, and Scythe of Vyse, you can use this to surprise and play tricks on your opponents, as long as you stay near the trees
- Your high Strength and attack damage is great. You can purchase attack boosting items like Assault Cuirass, Battle Fury, Armlet of Mordiggian, Satanic, Mjollnir, Abyssal Blade or Mask of Madness to improve your damage output, if your team is deprived of powerful attackers.
- Although he's not the best, Rooftrellen can be a good jungler because of his high base attack damage and Living Armor damage block, Leech Seed in case of his hp dropping low and Nature's Guise to initiate ganks. It will give the team another solo lane, more gold for him than playing in a dual lane and the ability to keep healing towers with the global living armor when needed while in the jungle.
- An Aghanim's Scepter gives Rooftrellen a free permanent mini Observer Ward every 55 seconds and he can use it to gain vision in critical spots. This could be an enormous advantage to your whole team especially if you can cover the whole jungle and lanes with it. This will also reduce the necessity for diving in to Initiate team-fights as it will enable you to use Overgrowth globally.
- Purchasing a Blink Dagger in conjunction with the Aghanim's Scepter will allow you to enchant trees in a middle of a cluster potentially deterring enemies from destroying the enchanted tree.
- Rooftrellen - Treant Protector has "Riki was 'here" carved into his side (near the right handed runes on his belt).
- Treant Protector's appearance, name, and voice are based heavily on Treebeard, the eldest of the Ent race, who appears in the Lord of the Rings books and movies.
- Fixed Living Armor not selecting Spell Immune allies when targeting the ground
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
- Living Armor is now castable on spell immune allies
- Eyes in the Forest
- Eyes In The Forest's Overgrowth damage increased from 135 to 175 per second
- Eyes In The Forest cooldown reduced from 55 to 25
- Nature's Guise mana cost reduced from 90/80/70/60 to 60
- Added Aghanim's Scepter: Grants a new ability, Eyes in the Forest, which allows Treant to enchant trees to spy on his enemies and expand the area Treant Protector affects.
- Leech Seed damage per pulse decreased from 24/36/48/60 to 15/30/45/60.
- Leech Seed:
- Damage per pulse reduced from 30/45/60/75 to 24/36/48/60.
- Number of pulses increased from 4 to 6 (duration from 3 to 4.5).
- Living Armor:
- Cooldown rebalanced from 15 to 32/26/20/14.
- Manacost increased from 25 to 50.
- Nature's Guise cast point improved from 0.5 to 0.3.
- Night vision reduced from 1200 to 800.
- Living Armor damage instances reduced from 7 to 4/5/6/7.
- Leech Seed
- Slow increased from 24% to 28%.
- Healing effect no longer ends when the target dies.
- Living Armor damage reduction is now done for all instances of damage that reduce its charges.
- Damage increased by 10.
- Leech Seed cooldown decreased from 18/16/14/12 to 16/14/12/10.
- Overgrowth cooldown decreased from 80 to 70.
- Living Armor
- damage instances increased from 6 to 7.
- can be cast through the minimap (only considers heroes and towers/rax in this mode).
- Living Armor
- Cooldown and duration decreased from 20 to 15.
- Manacost decreased from 30/35/40/45 to 25.
- Strength growth increased from 2.8 to 3.3.
- Living Armor HP regen increased from 4/6/8/10 to 4/7/10/13.
- Damage increased by 14.
- Base attack time increased from 1.7 to 1.9.
- Living Armor aura replaced with a new active ability:
- Target an allied unit or structure. Grants bonus regeneration and physical damage block. Dispels when more than 6 damage instances are taken.
- HP Regeneration: 4/6/8/10
- Physical Damage Block: 20/40/60/80 (hero only)
- Threshold: 6 damage instances
- Duration: 20
- Cooldown: 20
- Manacost: 30/35/40/45
- Cast Range: Global
- No longer does damage.
- Duration increased from 3 to 3/3.75/4.5.
- Cooldown decreased from 115/105/95 to 80.
- Leech Seed manacost increased from 110/120/130/140 to 140.
- Overgrowth damage per second decreased from 70/100/130 to 50/75/100.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Strength decreased from 27 + 3.4 to 25 + 2.8
- Overgrowth cooldown increased from 100/95/90 to 115/105/95.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Added a 2 second fade time to Nature's Guise.
- Living Armor regeneration reduced from 2/3/4/5 to 1/2/3/4.
- Overgrowth AoE reduced from 725 to 625.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Base armor reduced by 1.
- Leech Seed cooldown rescaled from 12 to 18/16/14/12.
- Living Armor now regenerates buildings only in a 900 aoe.
- Armor reduced by 1.
- Nature's Guise
- Now gives the unit a 10% movement speed bonus.
- Keeps the target invisible for up to 1 second after leaving the proximity of a tree, except during the initial cast.
- Cooldown increased from 3 seconds to 10/8/6/4 seconds.
- Forest Sentinel replaced with Leech Seed:
- Rooftrellen plants a life-sapping seed in his enemy, causing it to be slowed by 24% and have its life force drained over the next 3 seconds. Nearby allied units are healed by the same amount.
- Slow: 24%
- Damage: 30/45/60/75 per pulse (Magical damage type)
- Allied Heal: 30/45/60/75 per pulse
- Pulses: 4
- AoE: 500
- Manacost: 110/120/130/140
- Cast Range: 350
- Cooldown: 12
- Living Armor reworked:
- Rooftrellen's presence infuses allied heroes and structures with a protective healing aura, increasing armor and regeneration. During the daytime, his power of nature is increased, causing the aura to extend globally.
- AoE: 900 (Global during the day)
- HP Regeneration: 2/3/4/5
- Armor: 1/2/3/4
- Duration reduced from 3/4/5 to 3.
- Cooldown reduced from 160 to 100/95/90.
- Damage per second rebalanced from 85 to 70/100/130.
- Living Armor regeneration increased from 1/2/3/4 to 2/3/4/5.
- Reworked Eyes in the Forest.
- Removed from Captain's Mode.
- Attack range changed from 100 to 128.
- Casting Nature's Guise on an allied unit (or other spells) will no longer take you out if you have it on you.
- Reworked Eyes in the Forest.
- Creates an enchanted tree at a target point, allowing Rooftrellen to see the tree's surrounding area at all times. Vision improves slightly per level.
- Cast Range: 100. Cooldown: 300/225/150/75. Manacost: 100/75/50/25.
- Note: Creates a regular tree if cast on the Sentinel side and a dead tree if cast on the Scourge side. The trees are slightly brighter when they are enchanted.
- Living Armor is now castable on structures.
- Increased Rooftrellen's Agility per level.
- Lowered Overgrowth mana cost from 200/250/300 to 150/175/200
- Vastly increased Eyes in the Forest cast range
- Improved Living Armor a bit
- Slightly improved leveling of Eyes In The Forest
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Overgrowth mana cost from 100/150/200 to 200/250/300