Rooftrellen the Treant Protector is a melee strength hero who excels in supporting and strengthening his allies with his beneficial set of spells using the power of nature. He is a natural tank, offensively and defensively, having both the highest natural attack damage, and the second highest overall Strength in the game. Manipulating the power of the plants to his will, he can grant invisibility and stealth to himself and his allies with Nature's Guise, provided that they remain within close proximity to a tree. He can also use Leech Seed against a target, dealing moderate damage over time to it and slowing it whilst nearby allies are replenished by the same amount. His signature Living Armor makes him truly live up his title, as he is able to provide allies and even friendly buildings increased health regeneration and a massive damage block from anywhere on the map. Finally his ultimate Overgrowth affects enemies in a respectable area of effect and entangles enemies with vines, branches, and roots; though it does not deal any damage, it will immobilize them and render them unable to attack for several crucial seconds. Although Treant Protector is not able to dish out much damage outside of his regular attacks, he is able to provide an enormous amount of defensive utility and survivability to himself and his teammates, thereby rooting a path to victory.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Recommended items explanations must not be opinionated or contain suggestions. Please refer to the style guide for more information.
- Using Nature's Guise on allies during a gank gives them the element of surprise, and owing to the extremely variable nature of this mechanic the enemy team will struggle to use Sentry Wards to prevent this.
- Your autoattack animation and rate are slow, but pack a huge punch. With a little practice, you can put that power to use and greatly assist your lane partner by denying units.
- Living Armor can heal buildings. If you have time, and no one else requires it, cast Living Armor on damaged towers. Granted, the ratio of health gained to total health of buildings may be small, but its duration is as long as its cooldown, so you can keep it constantly regenerating health, provided you have enough mana.
- Although he is quite tanky, his offensive output is very minimal and once he has initiated with Overgrowth he should conceal himself, firing Leech Seeds from nearby trees (keep in mind at all times that Treant Protector can use abilities without breaking his invisibility).
- In a gank, use Nature's Guise to sneak around behind the enemies, as if Leech Seed is used on an enemy running towards you instead of away from you escape will be almost impossible; to say nothing of Overgrowth.
- In most circumstances Rooftrellen is most wisely built to maximise his abilities' usage, his lack of mobility and damaging spells mean he is best suited to securing kills for his allies via his slowing and disabling abilities.
- A Soul Ring is a good early pick-up for Rooftrellen, as it allows him to spam his Leech Seed as an effective harassment tool while also healing off the damage from the Soul Ring. It also helps solve his mana problems early to mid game.
- You can cast spells when you're invisible with Nature's Guise. If you are equipped with items with powerful active abilities, like Necronomicon, Shiva's Guard, and Scythe of Vyse, you can use this to surprise and play tricks on your opponents, as long as you stay near the trees
- Your high Strength and attack damage is great. You can purchase attack boosting items like Assault Cuirass, Battle Fury, Armlet of Mordiggian, Satanic, Mjollnir, Abyssal Blade or Mask of Madness to improve your damage output, if your team is deprived of powerful attackers.
- Altough he's not the best, Treant can be a good jungler because of his high base attack damage and Living Armor damage block, Leech Seed in case of his hp dropping low and Nature's Guise to initiate ganks. It will give the team another solo lane, more gold for him than playing in a dual lane and the ability to keep healing towers with the global living armor when needed while in the jungle.
- Rooftrellen has "Riki was 'ere" carved into his side (near the right handed runes on his belt).
- Treant Protector's appearance, name, and voice are based heavily on Treebeard, the eldest of the Ent race, who appears in the Lord of the Rings books and movies.
 Update history
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
 Balance changelog
- Leech Seed:
- Damage per pulse reduced from 30/45/60/75 to 24/36/48/60.
- Number of pulses increased from 4 to 6 (duration from 3 to 4.5).
- Living Armor:
- Cooldown rebalanced from 15 to 32/26/20/14.
- Manacost increased from 25 to 50.
- Nature's Guise cast point improved from 0.5 to 0.3.
- Night vision reduced from 1200 to 800.
- Living Armor damage instances reduced from 7 to 4/5/6/7.
- Leech Seed
- Slow increased from 24% to 28%.
- Healing effect no longer ends when the target dies.
- Living Armor damage reduction is now done for all instances of damage that reduce its charges.
- Damage increased by 10.
- Leech Seed cooldown decreased from 18/16/14/12 to 16/14/12/10.
- Overgrowth cooldown decreased from 80 to 70.
- Living Armor
- damage instances increased from 6 to 7.
- can be cast through the minimap (only considers heroes and towers/rax in this mode).
- Living Armor
- Cooldown and duration decreased from 20 to 15.
- Manacost decreased from 30/35/40/45 to 25.
- Strength growth increased from 2.8 to 3.3.
- Living Armor HP regen increased from 4/6/8/10 to 4/7/10/13.
- Damage increased by 14.
- Base attack time increased from 1.7 to 1.9.
- Living Armor aura replaced with a new active ability:
- Target an allied unit or structure. Grants bonus regeneration and physical damage block. Dispels when more than 6 damage instances are taken.
- HP Regeneration: 4/6/8/10
- Physical Damage Block: 20/40/60/80 (hero only)
- Threshold: 6 damage instances
- Duration: 20
- Cooldown: 20
- Manacost: 30/35/40/45
- Cast Range: Global
- No longer does damage.
- Duration increased from 3 to 3/3.75/4.5.
- Cooldown decreased from 115/105/95 to 80.
- Leech Seed manacost increased from 110/120/130/140 to 140.
- Overgrowth damage per second decreased from 70/100/130 to 50/75/100.
- Strength decreased from 27 + 3.4 to 25 + 2.8
- Overgrowth cooldown increased from 100/95/90 to 115/105/95.
- Added a 2 second fade time to Nature's Guise.
- Living Armor regeneration reduced from 2/3/4/5 to 1/2/3/4.
- Overgrowth AoE reduced from 725 to 625.
- Base armor reduced by 1.
- Leech Seed cooldown rescaled from 12 to 18/16/14/12.
- Living Armor now regenerates buildings only in a 900 aoe.
- Armor reduced by 1.
- Nature's Guise
- Now gives the unit a 10% movement speed bonus.
- Keeps the target invisible for up to 1 second after leaving the proximity of a tree, except during the initial cast.
- Cooldown increased from 3 seconds to 10/8/6/4 seconds.
- Forest Sentinel replaced with Leech Seed:
- Rooftrellen plants a life-sapping seed in his enemy, causing it to be slowed by 24% and have its life force drained over the next 3 seconds. Nearby allied units are healed by the same amount.
- Slow: 24%
- Damage: 30/45/60/75 per pulse (Magical damage type)
- Allied Heal: 30/45/60/75 per pulse
- Pulses: 4
- AoE: 500
- Manacost: 110/120/130/140
- Cast Range: 350
- Cooldown: 12
- Living Armor reworked:
- Rooftrellen's presence infuses allied heroes and structures with a protective healing aura, increasing armor and regeneration. During the daytime, his power of nature is increased, causing the aura to extend globally.
- AoE: 900 (Global during the day)
- HP Regeneration: 2/3/4/5
- Armor: 1/2/3/4
- Duration reduced from 3/4/5 to 3.
- Cooldown reduced from 160 to 100/95/90.
- Damage per second rebalanced from 85 to 70/100/130.
- Living Armor regeneration increased from 1/2/3/4 to 2/3/4/5.
- Reworked Eyes in the Forest.
- Attack range changed from 100 to 128.
- Casting Nature's Guise on an allied unit (or other spells) will no longer take you out if you have it on you.
- Reworked Eyes in the Forest.
- Living Armor is now castable on structures.
- Increased Rooftrellen's Agility per level.
 Replaced abilities
 See also