Rooftrellen the Treant Protector is a melee strength hero who excels in supporting and strengthening his allies with his beneficial set of spells using the power of nature. He is a natural tank, offensively and defensively, having both the highest natural attack damage and the second highest overall strength in the game. Manipulating the power of the plants to his will, he can grant invisibility and stealth to himself and his allies with Nature's Guise, provided that they remain within close proximity to a tree. He can use Leech Seed to sap the life from a target, slowing and dealing moderate damage over time to it while nearby allies are replenished by the same amount. His signature Living Armor makes him truly live up his title, as he is able to provide allies and even friendly buildings increased health regeneration and a massive damage block from anywhere on the map. Finally, his ultimate Overgrowth roots nearby enemies with vines, branches, and roots; though it does not deal any damage, it immobilizes them and renders them unable to attack for several crucial seconds. Although Treant Protector is not able to dish out much damage outside of his regular attacks, he is able to provide an enormous amount of defensive utility and survivability to himself and his teammates, thereby planting the seeds of a decisive victory.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Causes the targeted unit to blend in with the forest, becoming invisible to enemies and gaining a movement speed bonus when near a tree. If the unit moves away from a tree or the spell is cast on a unit with no nearby trees, Nature's Guise is lost. Treant Protector can cast spells and remain invisible under Nature's Guise.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 600
Tree Search Radius: 350
Fade Time: 2
Move Speed Bonus: 14%/16%/18%/20%
Invisibility Duration: 15/30/45/60
Natures Guise: Undispellable.
Natures Guise Grace Time: Dispellable with any dispel.
|The Protectors don't often come into vision; their natural state being nestled within their leafy brethren.|
- If cast on a unit that is not close enough to a tree, the ability does nothing, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- The effects are not instantly lost upon getting too far from trees. There is a 0.75 second long grace time.
- This means the unit can stay up to 0.75 seconds long away from trees and still be invisible.
- The grace time resets whenever a tree is within range again.
- The grace time is indicated by the status buff.
- The Nature's Guise buff checks for the grace time buff periodically, and disappears if it is not found.
- Treant Protector can cast spells and use items without breaking the invisibility.
- Other units can cast spells and use items only during the 2 seconds fade time.
- Units can perform attacks within the 2 seconds fade time without breaking the invisibility. Attacking after the fade time breaks it.
|Treant plants a life-sapping seed in an enemy unit, draining its health, while simultaneously slowing it. The seed heals friendly units around it. Pulses 6 times.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 350
Pulse Interval: 0.75
Damage per Pulse: 15/30/45/60
Heal per Pulse: 15/30/45/60
Move Speed Slow: 28%
Leech Seed: Dispellable with any dispel.
|Rooftrellen nurtures the beings under his stewardship, sustained by the lifeforce of trespassers into his sacred ground.|
- Deals damage and sends healing projectiles in 0.75 second intervals, starting 0.75 seconds after cast, resulting in 6 pulses.
- Can deal up to 90/180/270/360 damage (before reductions) and heal a single unit up to 90/180/270/360 health.
- The heal is independent from the damage and always heals for the same amount, regardless of how much damage the target takes.
- Healing projectiles travel at a speed of 400 and cannot be disjointed.
- Always emits 6 pulses, even when the target dies earlier.
- If the target turns invisible, the pulses continue coming from its current actual position, making it possible to track them.
|Infuses the target hero or structure with a protective coating which grants bonus regeneration. Also blocks some damage from all sources. Dispels when a number of damage instances are taken.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: Global
Damage Block Instances: 4/5/6/7
Damage Block: 20/40/60/80
Health Regeneration Bonus: 4/7/10/13
Living Armor: Dispellable with any dispel.
|The roots and tendrils of the Treant Protectors are far-reaching, stimulating the growth and rejuvenation of all of nature.|
- When targeting the ground, the closest unit to the target point is targeted instead.
- Can be cast on buildings, providing all its effects to them.
- Restores health in the form of health regeneration, so it regenerates 0.4/0.7/1.0/1.3 health in 0.1 second intervals.
- Can heal the target for up to 60/105/150/195 health if the armor stays for its full duration.
- Living Armor belongs to the group of damage negating effects. However, unlike the others in that group, Living Armor only negates a certain amount of damage per instance.
- If a damage instance is low enough to get fully negated, it causes several on-damage effects to not trigger.
- Living Armor has the lowest priority in the group of damage negating effects.
- This means when coupled with any other form of damage negation, Living Armor neither blocks damage nor loses any charges.
- When combined with Aphotic Shield however, it does lose charges without blocking any damage.
- When combined with the Glyph of Fortification, it does not lose any charges until the Glyph's effect expires.
- As with all damage manipulating effects, Living Armor only blocks the 3 damage types. It does not react on HP Removal.
- Blocks damage after all kinds of reductions. Fully ignores damage lower than 5 (after reductions).
- Can block up to 80/200/360/560 damage.
|Summons an overgrowth of vines and branches around Treant that prevent afflicted enemies from moving, blinking, going invisible, or attacking.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Adds the Eyes In The Forest ability.
Overgrowth: Dispellable with any dispel.
|Rooftrellen calls the ancestral spirit of nature, releasing its power through all of his kin.|
- Disables the following spells: Blink, Blink, Teleportation, Charge of Darkness, Phase Shift, Tricks of the Trade and Blink Dagger.
- Other teleports and pseudo-blinks (e.g. Leap, Phantom Strike, Ethereal Jaunt, etc) fully work, although the unit is still rooted afterwards.
- Prevents Relocate from teleporting Io and his tethered ally.
- Does not hit invisible units upon cast, however, Overgrowth reveals invisible units for its duration.
- Interrupts the affected units' current order, canceling out a spell cast and channeling spells.
- Once purchased, Treant Protector cannot drop or sell his Aghanim's Scepter.
|Eyes In The Forest|
|Treant Protector enchants a tree, which grants him unobstructed vision in that location. If Overgrowth is cast, units within a 800 radius of an enchanted tree will be entangled and damaged.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 160
Overgrowth Radius: 800
Overgrowth Damage per Second: 175
|One can never be too certain who, or what, might need protecting.|
- Requires Aghanim's Scepter to be unlocked.
- There is no limit on how many enchanted trees can be up at one time.
- An enchanted tree has no expire time; it lasts until destroyed.
- Enchanted trees have distinct icons on the minimap. Just like buildings, it is colored if allied, and red if not.
- Enchanted trees have 800 range flying vision.
- If the enemy has True Sight, they are able to see the visual effects on both the affected tree and the 800 radius around it.
- Only units which are affected by Overgrowth within 800 radius of an enchanted tree take the Overgrowth damage.
- The Overgrowth damage from multiple Eyes in the Forest does not stack.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in 3/4/5 instances.
- Eyes in the Forest Overgrowth deals a total of 525/700/875 damage (before reductions).
- The sound effect upon cast is audible to allies only.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Clarity potions mitigate the mana cost of Leech Seed, which is usually used early for lane harassment.
- Stout Shield partially abates any harassment he receives.
- Animal Courier is expected of support heroes due to their item independence.
- Observer Ward is necessary and can be placed when using Nature's Guise.
- Boots of Speed give a useful movement speed boost.
- Iron Talon amplifies Treant's already high base damage and allows to jungle very quickly.
- Magic Stick helps with mana and health restoration
- Bracer provide cheap attribute bonuses.
- Soul Ring is a good early pick-up for Treant Protector, as it allows him to spam his Leech Seed as an effective harassment tool while also healing off the damage from the Soul Ring. It also helps solve his mana problems early to mid game. This could also be picked-up if opting for a Tranquil Boots instead of an Arcane Boots if team-mates do not need the extra mana. Choosing Tranquil Boots over Arcane Boots makes it easier for Treant Protector to roam the map and regenerate health between ganks.
- Arcane Boots help with Treant's own mana pool as well as his allies.
- Magic Wand makes use of the earlier bought Magic Stick and is another source of a cheap attribute bonus.
- Aghanim's Scepter grants Treant Protector basically an infinite amount of "free" Observer Wards. It is an excellent item which allows Treant Protector to grant his team vision over the map and also allows him to deal some damage in the late game with a semi-global Overgrowth.
- Guardian Greaves is natural upgrade of Arcane Boots, farmed Treant is very good Mek/Greaves carrier.
- Drum of Endurance provides more cheap attribute bonuses and the movement speed boost stacks with Nature's Guise's bonus to give him and his allies excellent movement speed.
- Blink Dagger allows for more powerful initiaions with Overgrowth. It also allows Treant to dart around the forest while remaining invisible through Nature's Guise.
- Heart of Tarrasque gives him excellent durability and big amount of attack damage, making him able to hit quite hard together with his naturally high attack damage.
- Shiva's Guard and Assault Cuirass provide protection against physical damage as well as auras that help in a team fight.
- Pipe of Insight provides him and his allies with protection against magical damage.
- Vladmir's Offering provides Treant and his team with a useful aura.
- Heaven's Halberd provides the single-target disable he lacks, while providing both strength and evasion to increase his durability.
- Radiance provides excellent team fight damage. Treant Protector can make use of Radiance's Burn Damage while he is invisible.
- Necronomicon gives more movement speed and attack speed for his allies, some damage and mana-burning during Overgrowth, and more strength and intelligence.
- Refresher Orb allows him to cast Overgrowth twice.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Treant Protector has "Riki was here" carved into his side (near the left-handed runes on his belt).
- Treant Protector's appearance, name, and voice are based heavily on Treebeard, the eldest of the Ent race, who appears in the Lord of the Rings books and movies.