Leviathan the Tidehunter is a melee strength hero who is formidable due to his uncommonly tough hide and his ocean spells that sweep enemies upward. He is a support hero whose greatest strengths lie in being able to take heavy amounts of damage in the early game and the disabling powers of his spells.
Though he does not deal especially high damage at any point in the game, his spells can have a devastating effect on the enemy without expending much mana. He is able to send forth a spray of water to slow down the enemy retreat and his outrageous ultimate, Ravage, throttles enemies in a massive area around him. The durability of his Kraken Shell allows him to shrug off damage for absurd survivability against low damage attacks. Tidehunter's ability to shrug off damage and his enormous strength gain makes him very durable, and the power of his spells means he is a tank the enemy very much needs to target.
- Blink Dagger is a commonly bought item for Tidehunter, used in conjunction with Ravage to initiate.
- Anchor Smash is a great way to clear creeps and farm for Tidehunter. Due to its low Mana cost, it can be used to harass enemies, especially melee heroes.
- Do not underestimate the 60% damage reduction from Anchor Smash. If you use it on a hero with a powerful auto-attack, such as Ursa, their damage output will be severely reduced. With 100% uptime from level 2 onwards, you can keep one or more enemies' attack damage crippled indefinitely provided you keep using this ability.
- Remember that while Ravage travels quickly, it does take a brief time to extend to its maximum range. Very alert opponents might be able to blink away or activate magic immunity before they are stunned, so be sure to blink in closer to those heroes to reduce their window of escape.
- Extremely quick fingered opponents may also avoid Ravage by blinking very close to Tidehunter, a small area around Tidehunter exists in which Ravage will not affect very close opponents.
- Should the enemy team have a Rubick, it is critically important to cast another one of your spells (generally Anchor Smash) after casting Ravage, as an ability so devastating could easily be the deciding factor in a teamfight should Rubick steal it.
- Anchor Smash can be used to clear stacks of Ancient Creeps. This can be used in the offlane to farm your Blink Dagger early game.
- The name Leviathan is derived from a sea monster in the Bible. It is also used to refer to any large sea monster or creature. 
- Previous designs of Tidehunter had him use a large hook as a weapon.
- One of Tidehunter's kill lines (Ha ha ha! Women and children and Kunkka first!) is a reference to the "Birkenhead Drill," a historical protocol where women and children's lives would be saved first in the case of a life threatening situation, typically the sinking of a ship.
- Fixed Dark Pact and Kraken Shell not removing Sticky Napalm, Shadow Strike, Venomous Gale, Poison Nova and Viper Strike.
- Fixed Ravage visual timings.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Earthshaker, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport start and end animations for Earthshaker, Pudge, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- Added rival taunts and misc. lines to Razor, Zeus, Tiny and Tidehunter to fill out basic voice set.
- Fixed Refresher Ravage not hurting affected units.
- Fixed Kraken Shell not reducing tower damage.
- Anchor smash takes 0.5 seconds instead of 0.3.
- Fixed the radius on ravage (a little bigger)
- Fixed the total stun time on ravage (a little longer)
- Ravage damage now happens when the units land instead of when they fly into the air
- Anchor smash now correctly hit magic immune enemies (the ability deals physical damage) and doesn't hit ancients
- Fixed a typo from when one of the anchor smash values was renamed. The damage reduction should work correctly again even if it doesn't show up in the UI
- Switched Tidehunter's Anchor Smash ability to a casted version instead of the passive one. (6.72 parity)
- Fixed Ravage getting blocked by Linken Sphere.
- Tidehunter's Ravage is now consumed by Sphere.
- Fixed Tidehunter's Gush being way too slow.
- Fixed aoe mixup for full/half damage on Anchor Smash.
- Fixed Anchor Smash against buildings.
- Anchor Smash damage reduction reduced from 60% to 45/50/55/60%
- Anchor Smash damage reduction increased from 40 to 60%.
- Anchor Smash now works on Ancient creeps.
- Still does not affect Roshan.
- Kraken Shell:
- Debuff threshold reduced from 600 damage taken to 600/550/500/450.
- Damage block increased from 9/18/27/36 to 10/20/30/40.
- Kraken Shell damage block increased from 7/14/21/28 to 9/18/27/36.
- Ravage AoE rescaled from 825/925/1025 to 1025.
- Ravage damage decreased from 250/350/450 to 200/325/450.
- Ravage travel speed decreased from 900 to 775.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Anchor Smash reworked. Before, it was a passive ability with a 25% change to proc on attack, dealing 75/115/155/200 AoE Magic damage to a 200 AoE, and half damage in a 325 AoE. Now, Anchor Smash is an active ability, dealing 75/125/175/225 Physical Damage in a 400 AoE, costing 30/40/50/60 mana, with a 7/6/5/4 second cooldown. Also reduces attack damage of enemy units hit by 40% for 6 seconds.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Tidehunter previously had 100 range.
- Anchor Smash chance to proc increased from 20% to 25%.
- Ravage now has some travel time as it grows outwards.
- Kraken Shell reworked.
- Ravage AOE decreased for level 1 and 2.
- Improved Ravage a little (it became slightly less effective with the Impale recodes).
- Increased Tidehunter's movement speed.
- Improved Kraken Shell leveling slightly
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Minor damage increase and stun duration decrease to Ravage.
- Leviathan's Ravage from 250/350/500 to 200/300/400 damage and duration buffed from 1/1/1 to 1.4/1.8/2.2 seconds.
- Kraken Shell from 10/20/30/40 to 5/10/15/20 but reduces ranged as well now
- Gush mana cost from 100 to 120
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.