Lanaya the Templar Assassin is a short-ranged Agility hero capable of dealing huge bursts of Physical damage to swathes of enemies with expert positioning and timing. Unlike most physical damage dealers, Lanaya reaches her damage potential quite early and then scales up from that point with carry items, letting her gank with impunity throughout the mid-game, and her range changes from a melee hero to a ranged hero with short reach as she levels Psi Blades.
Her Psionic Traps provide map control and the ability to chase down fleeing heroes from up to 2000 range, and Refraction and Meld lets you shrug off high-damage nukes and disjoint projectiles. With a Blink Dagger, Lanaya can quickly materialize in the enemy team's weakest flank and shred several heroes at once with her Meld and Psi Blades.
| Lanaya, the Templar Assassin
| Play "Where the Hidden Ones send me, I go without question. I do not even question why I question not."
|| Carry / Escape
|| Lanaya, the Templar Assassin, came to her calling by a path of curious inquiry. Possessed of a scientific bent, she spent her early years engaged in meticulous study of nature's laws--peering into grimoires of magic and alchemy, recreating experiments from charred fragments of the Violet Archives, and memorizing observations of the Keen recordkeepers. Already quiet and secretive by nature, the difficulty of acquiring these objects further reinforced her skills of stealth. Had she been less retiring, she might have become notorious among the guilds as a thief-scholar. Instead her investigations led her into far more obscure corners. As she devoted her furtive talents to unlocking the secrets of the universe, she instead unlocked a secret door that exists in nature itself: the entryway to the most Hidden Temple. The intelligences that waited beyond that portal, proved to be expecting her, and whatever mysteries they revealed in the moment of their discovery was nothing compared to the answers they held out to Lanaya should she continue in their service. She swore to protect the mysteries, but more to the point, in service to the Hidden Temple she satisfies her endless craving for understanding. In the eyes of each foe she expunges, a bit more of the mystery is revealed.
|| Linda K. Morris (Responses)
- Places 2 buffs on Templar Assassin, named "Damage" and "Absorb". One buff grants instances of damage block and the other buff grants instances of bonus damage.
- The buffs are not visible to enemies. The numbers of left instances are visible on the buff icons.
- Refraction - Damage buff
- The damage buff has a different icon than the absorb damage buff ().
- The particles on Templar Assassin's hands granted by the buff are visible to everyone.
- The bonus damage is added as raw attack damage bonus, which is visible in the hud.
- Loses a bonus damage instance when the attack projectile successfully lands on the target. So when the attack is evaded, or disjointed, no instance is lost.
- An instance is not lost when attacking a friendly unit, but the attack still does bonus damage.
- When casting Refraction while an attack projectile is traveling, the projectile will not get the bonus damage, but it will use up one instance upon landing.
- Refraction - Absorb buff
- The particles around Templar Assassin (the dome) are visible to allies only. However, the particles and sound upon absorbing damage are visible and audible to everyone.
- Completely blocks whole damage instances, no matter how high they are.
- Damage below 5 (after reductions) is completely ignored. It's neither blocked, nor wastes any block instances.
- Does not block HP removal (e.g. Armlet of Mordiggian), Heartstopper Aura, Poison Sting and Dispersion.
- Fully negates the damage, preventing the following spells and items to trigger, get disabled or do their effects: Aphotic Shield, Blade Mail, Blink Dagger, Cold Snap, Heart of Tarrasque, Life Drain, Living Armor, Mjollnir (Static Charge), Open Wounds, Orchid Malevolence, Psi Blades, Soul Assumption, Vampiric Aura, splash from Mass Serpent Ward and Black Dragons and any lifesteal from items.
- Every other spell or item which reacts on damage events are not prevented.
- The attack projectile out of Meld can be disjointed.
- Turns Templar Assassin instantly invisible and orders her to stop.
- Meld is canceled by any action Templar Assassin does, except for attacking a target in range. Turning does not break Meld.
- Templar Assassin can drop or pick up items without breaking the invisibility when they are close enough.
- The repositioning effects of the following spells also break Meld:
- Black Hole, Vacuum, Gust, Deafening Blast, Tornado, Power Cogs, Meat Hook, Adaptive Strike, Telekinesis Primal Roar, Skewer, Flamebreak, Boulder Smash, Geomagnetic Grip, Greater Bash, Blinding Light, Electric Vortex, Toss, Cyclone, Snowball, Eul's Scepter of Divinity and Force Staff.
- When breaking the invisibility with an attack, Templar Assassin remains invisible until the projectile lands. While the projectile flies, she can act freely without losing the invisibility.
- The damage and armor reduction are only applied when Templar Assassin has the Meld buff on as the projectile hits. So when she dies, the projectile won't apply Meld's effects.
- Meld's damage is independant from her attack damage and is applied as a separate instance.
- The armor reduction from Meld does not affect buildings.
- Meld first applies Templar Assassin's actual attack damage, then its armor debuff, then its own bonus damage.
- With no points in Psi Blades, Templar Assassin has an attack range of only 140. However, she is still treated as a ranged hero for all item interactions.
- The spill range is based on the attack target's position, not on Templar Assassin's. So from max attack range, she can hit units up to 790/890/990/1090 range away.
- Spill damage is based on her attack damage after all reductions.
- Attack modifier are only applied to the primary target.
- Templar Assassin's position is checked as the projectile hits the target, not upon launching.
- Despite the visual effects, Psi Blades do not spill damage when attacking illusions or buildings.
- Psi Blades spill damage when attacking allies or wards.
| Psionic Trap
| Hit Points
| Collision size
|| Unit type: Ward|
- The slow starts at 30% and increases by 0.5% in 0.1 second intervals, reaching the maximum slow 4 seconds after placing the trap.
- Psionic Traps do not slow upon getting destroyed.
- Casting Psionic Trap while teleporting and having the "Teleport Requires Stop" setting on, will still cancel the teleport.
| Springs the nearest trap, slowing nearby enemies.
| Cast Time: 0+0|
Trap Search Radius: Global
Slow Radius: 400
- Does not interrupt Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Cannot be cast while no traps are present (gives "No Traps" error message).
Psionic Trap ability
| Self Trap
| Springs the trap, slowing nearby enemies.
| Cast Time: 0+0|
Slow Radius: 400
- This is cast from the trap itself. This allows Templar Assassin to trigger traps from afar without having to trigger nearby traps first.
- The starting Tangos give Lanaya health regeneration allowing her to stay in the lane, while the Iron Branches give her extra damage and health.
- Boots of Speed is a vital item for every hero in Dota 2 in order to escape and chase when each is called for.
- As an aggressive midlaning hero, a Bottle is important for saving runes and sustaining her health and mana while she roams the map to find kills.
- A Blink Dagger is essential to reach Lanaya's maximum potential. Although she is technically ranged, her base range (and the range of Meld) is similar to that of a melee hero. A Blink Dagger allows her to jump on top of enemies and immediately land a Meld Strike. It also lets her quickly get to nearby enemies caught by Psionic Traps and lets her position her Psi Blades in a fight to deal maximum spill damage.
- Defensively, in emergency situation around enemies without AoE abilities or True Sight (i.e. Dust of Appearance, Sentry Ward), Lanaya can use Meld to temporarily hide and then jump out of the scene when Blink Dagger's cooldown is over. Additionally, the damage block from Refraction prevents Blink Dagger from going on cooldown, meaning Refraction can also be used defensively if necessary.
- Desolator gives Lanaya a lot of damage and an orb effect that decreases the opponent's armor. With it and a level four Meld, you will be deducting 15 armor directly, not counting additional effects like the aura from Assault Cuirass.
- After the aggressive core items, you will want to focus on some defensive items. BKB will give Lanaya magic immunity, helping her avoid painful stuns and nukes. Assault Cuirass gives her 15 armor, a lot of attack speed, and an aura that helps out allies and stacks even more armor reduction on enemies. A Heart will give her much needed health.
- The Butterfly is a powerful agility weapon. Its evasion will conserve Refraction charges, and its damage output is terrific.
- Attacking allied units will not use up a Refraction charge. Use this to preserve your Refraction charges in lane for more damage.
- Refraction and Meld deal physical damage and are effective against siege creeps and ancient creeps. Refraction's bonus damage also works on towers.
- Refraction's cooldown is the same as its duration. Try to plan on entering a fight when its duration is almost finished, so you can re-cast Refraction shortly after it expires for two sets of damage block and bonus damage.
- Meld can be used to dodge projectiles.
- It can be difficult to hit an enemy from within Meld without a high level in Psi Blades. Use Psionic Trap, Blink Dagger, or disables from teammates to get close to enemies.
- Psionic Traps can be used for vision. Place traps in narrow walkways to monitor enemy movement. Traps can also be used to maintain vision of runes and the Roshan pit.
- Psionic Trap gains 5% more slow for every second after placement. Try to place your traps slightly ahead of enemies and let them charge past the base 30%.
- The movement speed from Drum of Endurance, Yasha, and Phase Boots helps Lanaya chase enemies caught in her Psionic Trap.
- In DotA, Templar Assassin makes numerous references to the game Starcraft, another famous RTS game by Blizzard. Her ability to manipulate psionic energy, the psi blades she wields, and the mention of her master being originally from Aiur in her DotA biography all apply to the Protoss, one of the three main races of the game.
October 17, 2014 Patch
- Fixed Trap radius from 375 to 400.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
March 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Meld buff getting dispelled.
February 14, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Meld not removing collision.
November 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Psionic Trap's nearby detonate ability not always working if the trap is too far.
September 27, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Psi Blades being slightly too wide in its spill.
August 09, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld when attacking Items.
August 02, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld if the target dies while the attack projectile is airborn.
- Fixed HP Removal spells (like Heartstopper Aura & Urn) draining Refraction.
- Fixed Meld debuff not disappearing properly when the attack is disjointed.
July 27, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld sometimes not hitting if you moved quickly after attacking.
July 26, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld initial attack doing too much damage.
- Meld damage display is now only shown for successful hits.
July 19, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Refraction being dispellable.
- Fixed Templar Assassin's Refraction and Pipe causing Blink Dagger to not get disabled.
July 12, 2012 Patch
- Added Templar Assassin!
- Enabled Templar Assassin, Disruptor and Undying in Captain's Mode.
January 26, 2012 Patch
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
- Reduced Trap cast time from 0.3 to 0 and it no longer interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells.
- Psionic Trap now requires a buildup time to reach its maximum slow. Starts at 30% and increases by 5% each second until it reaches 50%.
- Increased Psi Blades attack range bonus from 40/100/160/220 to 60/120/180/240.
- Increased Refraction number of instances from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Increased base attack damage from 22-32 to 31-36. (total attack damage is now 53-59).
- Increased Psi Blades spill range from 320 on each level to 320/340/360/380.
- Psionic Trap now automatically adds placed traps to the player's current selection group.
- Increased strength gain from 1.7 to 2.1.
- Reduced duration from 20 to 17.
- Reduced cooldown from 23 to 17.
- Reduced cast time from 0.3 to 0.
- Psi Blades
- Rescaled attack range bonus from 50/100/150/200 to 40/100/160/220.
- Increased spill range from 80/160/240/320 to 320 on each level.
- Increased turn rate from unknown to 0.7.
- Reduced Psionic Trap cooldown from 14 on each level to 11/9/7.
- Psi Blades
- Increased attack range bonus from 40/80/120/160 to 50/100/150/200.
- Increased spill range from 60/120/180/240 to 80/160/240/320.
- Increased spill width from unknown to 70.
- Increased Psionic Trap cooldown from 7 to 14.
- Increased attack range from 130 to 140.
- Increased base intelligence from 18 to 20.
- Reduced number of instances from 3/4/5/6 to 2/3/4/5.
- Increased attack damage bonus from 15/30/45/60 to 20/40/60/80.
- Increased cooldown from 20 to 23.
- Reduced manacost from 100 to 50.
- Reduced cooldown from 12 to 7.
- Reduced Psionic Trap cooldown from 10 to 7.