Lanaya the Templar Assassin is a very short-ranged Agility hero capable of dealing huge bursts of Physical damage to swathes of enemies with expert positioning and timing. Unlike most physical damage dealers, Lanaya reaches her damage potential quite early and then scales up from that point with carry items, letting her gank with impunity throughout the mid-game, and her short attack range increases from being comparable to that of a melee hero to a ranged hero with short reach as she levels Psi Blades.
Her Psionic Traps provide map control and the ability to chase down fleeing heroes from up to 2000 range, and Refraction and Meld lets you shrug off high-damage nukes and disjoint projectiles. With a Blink Dagger, Lanaya can quickly materialize in the enemy team's weakest flank and shred several heroes at once with her Meld and Psi Blades.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Templar Assassin becomes highly elusive, avoiding damage and gaining a bonus to her damage. The damage and avoidance effects are separate, and have a limited number of instances.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Number of Instances: 3/4/5/6
Attack Damage Bonus: 20/40/60/80
- Refraction interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Places 2 buffs on Templar Assassin, named "Damage" and "Absorb". One buff grants instances of damage block and the other buff grants instances of bonus attack damage.
- The numbers of left instances are visible on the buff icons. The buffs and the visual effects of the ability are visible to everyone.
- Refraction - Damage buff
- The damage buff has a different icon than the absorb damage buff ().
- The bonus damage is added as raw attack damage bonus, which is visible in the HUD.
- Loses a bonus damage instance when the attack projectile successfully lands on the target. So when the attack is evaded, or disjointed, no instance is lost.
- An instance is not lost when attacking a friendly unit, but the attack still does bonus damage.
- When casting Refraction while an attack projectile is traveling, the projectile does not get the bonus damage, but still uses up one instance upon landing.
- Refraction - Absorb buff
- Fully negates damage, causing several on-damage effects to not trigger.
- Has a higher priority than Aphotic Shield and Living Armor, but lower than False Promise. However, it still loses a charge when combined with False Promise.
- Damage below 5 (after reductions) is completely ignored. It is neither blocked, nor wastes any block instances.
- Refraction negates all 3 damage types. It does not negate damage flagged as HP Removal.
|Templar Assassin conceals herself, becoming invisible as long as she remains still. If Meld's invisibility is broken by attacking an enemy, Lanaya will deal bonus damage to the enemy and reduce their armor for 10 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Fade Time: 0
Armor Reduction: 2/4/6/8
Debuff Duration: 10
Invis Duration: Permanent
- Meld interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- The attack projectile out of Meld can be disjointed.
- Turns Templar Assassin instantly invisible and orders her to stop.
- Invisibility is lost upon reaching the cast point of spells or items, upon landing an attack, or upon moving or getting moved in any way.
- Turns Templar Assassin phased, so that other units may pass through her.
- Templar Assassin can pick up, drop or attack items without breaking the invisibility, considering she does not move while doing so. She also can turn without losing it.
- The next attack of Templar Assassin which connects with a unit applies the damage and armor reduction.
- This does not necessarily have to be the first attack out of Meld. If somehow a following attack hits another target first (e.g. it teleports away), the new target is affected instead.
- The armor reduction debuff does not stack with itself.
- Neither the bonus damage nor the armor reduction from Meld affect buildings.
- Meld's damage is independent from her attack damage and is applied as a separate instance.
- This means that Lanaya cannot lifesteal off the damage, it cannot crit, be reduced or amplified by e.g. Enfeeble or Empower and is not spilled by Psi Blades.
- Meld first applies Templar Assassin's actual attack damage, then the armor debuff and then the Meld damage.
- This means the leading attack's damage is not increased by the armor reduction, but the spell's own damage is.
|Templar Assassin's psi blades slice through the attacked unit, splitting and damaging enemy units directly behind it, while gaining bonus attack range.|
|Spill Range: 590/630/670/710|
Spill Width: 68
Attack Range Bonus: 60/120/180/240
- Psi Blades increases Templar Assassin's total attack range to 200/260/320/380.
- With no points in Psi Blades, Templar Assassin has an attack range of only 140, but still counts as a ranged hero.
- The spill range is based on the attack target's position, not on Templar Assassin's. So from max attack range, she can hit units up to 790/890/990/1090 range away.
- Spill damage is based on her attack damage after all reductions meaning that the spill damage can be increased by reducing the armor of the primary target as well as by increasing Templar Assassin's attack damage with attack modifiers like crits or bashes.
- Attack modifiers are only applied to the primary target.
- Templar Assassin's position is checked as the projectile hits the target, not upon launching.
- Psi Blades spill damage when attacking allies or wards.
- Spill damage hits invisible units.
|Templar Assassin places mystical traps that invisibly monitor enemy movement. When sprung at her command, they exert a slowing influence of 30% in the area. Traps charge up to slow an additional 5% every second, up to 50%.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 2000
Maximum Traps: 5/8/11
Min Move Speed Slow: 30%
Max Move Speed Slow: 50%
Slow Duration: 5
Trap Duration: Permanent
- Psionic Traps do not prevent neutral creeps from spawning.
- The slow starts at 30% and increases by 0.5% in 0.1 second intervals, reaching the maximum slow 4 seconds after placing the trap.
- Psionic Traps do not slow upon getting destroyed.
|Springs the nearest trap, slowing nearby enemies.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Trap Search Radius: Global
Slow Radius: 400
Psionic Trap ability[edit | edit source]
|Springs the trap, slowing nearby enemies.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Slow Radius: 400
- This is cast from the trap itself, allowing Templar Assassin to trigger traps from afar without having to trigger nearby traps first.
- The cast of Self Trap is not registered as a spell cast and thus does not proc any on-cast effects.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tangos and Healing Salves give Lanaya health regeneration allowing her to stay in the lane for longer.
- Clarities help her sustain the mana cost of her Refraction, which is an essential ability for Lanaya in her laning phase.
- Iron Branches give an overall cheap damage, health and mana boost and can be built into a Magic Wand later on.
- Boots of Speed is a vital item for every hero in the game in order to escape and chase when necessary.
- As an aggressive midlaning hero, a Bottle is important for saving runes and sustaining her health and mana while she roams the map to find kills.
- A Magic Stick can help Lanaya out a lot when facing heroes which spam their abilities. The instant health and mana restore can turn around the outcome of a fight when used properly.
- Power Treads are a good choice of boots upgrade for Templar Assassin, as it provides a bit of everything she needs: health, damage, attack speed and mana. If an aggressive approach is desired, Phase Boots should be considered instead.
- The Magic Wand makes use of the branches and the Magic Stick from earlier and has a stronger potential heal burst.
- A Blink Dagger is essential to reach Lanaya's maximum potential. Although she is technically a ranged hero, her base attack range is similar to that of a melee hero. A Blink Dagger allows her to get in range to attack enemies and land her Meld attack, or to catch up to enemies slowed by her Psionic Traps. In teamfights, it helps her to position herself to use the full potential of Psi Blades. On the other side, it is also a great escaping tool when combined with her spells. Refraction prevents the dagger from getting disabled, but if it does get disabled, Meld can help her hide for a moment and then blink out if the enemy has no True Sight or area spells.
- Desolator increases Lanaya's damage output immensely, since Lanaya only deals physical damage by default (besides Psi Blades). The armor reduction of Desolator fully stacks with that of Meld, allowing her to reduce up to 15 armor on a target. This results in a highly increased damage output, which then translates into higher damage with Psi Blades, since their damage is based on what the initial attack target received. On top of this, Desolator also grants a decent raw attack damage bonus.
- Town Portal Scrolls are an item every hero should carry around, especially aggressive heroes like Templar Assassin. Combined with a Blink Dagger, it can ensure a safe escape.
- A Black King Bar may be required to deal with disables. Although Refraction helps her from taking any kind of damage, it does not stop disables. If avoiding their disables with blink or Meld is not possible, a Black King Bar should be bought.The item also grants some raw damage and a bit of health, increasing her damage output and survivability further.
- Assault Cuirass, similar to Desolator, synergizes well with Lanaya as it reduces enemy armor and increases her attack speed, upping her damage output by a massive amount. Besides that, the additional armor compensates for her squishiness. The armor bonuses and reductions of it are also auras, making it a valuable contribution to any teamfight.
- Heart of Tarrasque allows Lanaya to fight for much longer, as it gives an enormous health boost. However, it should only be bought after having build up some damage first, because being tanky does not help her much when she deals little damage.
- The Butterfly is always a great item for every agility hero, as it increases attack damage and speed by a lot and also provides evasion, helping against enemy attacks. The evasion also synergizes very well with Refraction, as Refraction does not lose any of its damage block charges when Lanaya evades attacks.
- Manta Style can be considered on Templar Assassin if some extra push power is required. If one has quick reflexes, its active can also be used to disjoint enemy attacks and spells. It also provides decent stats and grants some mobility. Keep in mind though that, despite her melee-like attack range, Templar Assassin is still a ranged hero, so the ranged illusion values and cooldown are used.
- Daedalus is a great item on Templar Assassin, since a critical strike is spread to all enemies with Psi Blades. It also works extremely well together with her high amount of armor reduction from her ability and typical item choices. However, since it is a chance-based effect and is based on her attack damage, other damage increasing items are required first to unlock its high potential.
Counters[edit | edit source]
- Venomancer's abilities deal damage over time, which burns refraction charges very quickly and prevents blinking with Blink Dagger. They also slow movement speed, which further hinders TA's effectiveness in fights and ganking.
- True sight from Sentry Wards and Gem of True Sight can detect TA when she uses meld as well as her Psionic traps.
- The armor from Mekansm, Shiva's Guard, and Assault Cuirass greatly reduce Templar Assassin's damage output.
- Shiva's Guard also provides an attack speed slow, which is a problem for right click based heroes like TA.
- Ghost Scepter makes you temporarily immune to physical damage, allowing you to temporarily stop TA from attacking you.
- The evasion from Heaven's Halberd and Solar Crest make TA's damage output less reliable.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Attacking allied units does not use up a Refraction charge. Use this to preserve your Refraction charges in lane for more damage.
- Refraction and Meld deal physical damage and are effective against siege creeps and ancient creeps. Refraction's bonus damage also works on towers.
- Refraction's cooldown is the same as its duration. Try to plan on entering a fight when its duration is almost finished, so you can re-cast Refraction shortly after it expires for two sets of damage block and bonus damage.
- Refraction has a minimum damage threshold of 5, meaning that damage less than 5 is fully ignored by Refraction and is not absorbed. Because of this, enemies can still disable Blink Dagger through Refraction with the help of a damage source that deals very little damage such as Orb of Venom.
- Meld can be used to dodge projectiles.
- It can be difficult to hit an enemy from within Meld without a high level in Psi Blades. Use Psionic Trap, Blink Dagger, or disables from teammates to get close to enemies.
- Psionic Traps can be used for vision. Place traps in narrow walkways to monitor enemy movement. Traps can also be used to maintain vision of runes and the Roshan pit.
- Psionic Trap gains 5% more slow for every second after placement. Try to place your traps slightly ahead of enemies and let them charge past the base 30%.
- The movement speed from Drum of Endurance, Yasha, and Phase Boots helps Lanaya chase enemies caught in her Psionic Trap.
- Mask of Madness can be a powerful item on Templar Assassin, as she benefits greatly from the bonus attack speed, but with Refraction she can avoid taking the bonus damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In DotA, Templar Assassin makes numerous references to the game Starcraft, another famous RTS game by Blizzard. Her ability to manipulate psionic energy, the psi blades she wields, and the mention of her master being originally from Aiur in her DotA biography all apply to the Protoss, one of the three main races of the game.
- Although Templar Assassin is a ranged hero, she has a 140 base attack range. This means her attack range is the shortest of all heroes, as melee heroes have an attack range of 150.