Lanaya the Templar Assassin is a short-ranged Agility hero capable of dealing huge bursts of Physical damage to swathes of enemies with expert positioning and timing. Unlike most physical damage dealers, Lanaya reaches her damage potential quite early and then scales up from that point with carry items, letting her gank with impunity throughout the mid-game, and her range changes from a melee hero to a ranged hero with short reach as she levels Psi Blades.
Her Psionic Traps provide map control and the ability to chase down fleeing heroes from up to 2000 range, and Refraction and Meld lets you shrug off high-damage nukes and disjoint projectiles. With a Blink Dagger, Lanaya can quickly materialize in the enemy team's weakest flank and shred several heroes at once with her Meld and Psi Blades.
 Psionic Trap ability
 Recommended items
- Refraction is highly desirable to level up first, as the increased number of instances is key in playing mind games and the attack damage increase is also significant.
- Although leveling Meld will give Lanaya even more damage, it can be difficult to get in attack range to use it effectively without points in Psi Blades. If your team has disables that will give you time to move up into range, or if you can get an early Blink Dagger, Meld is a good choice.
- Use Psi Blades as a harass. It has a great spill radius, and not only can it be used to farm more effectively, but also to harass heroes in lane.
- Denying with Refraction active will not use up a charge. This means that denies may be used in combination with Psi Blades to get last hits without using all of your Refraction charges.
- Alternatives to Blink Dagger include Drum of Endurance and/or Yasha. While the sheer mobility of a Blink is unrivaled, the health, damage, mana, and movement speed of these items may be more reliable.
- Beyond their obvious usage, Psionic Traps are also excellent sources of vision.
- Though it is usually too late to affect your mid performance, placing traps at the rune spawns will give you excellent rune control throughout the rest of the game.
- Psionic Trap is also one of the few ways, and perhaps the most reliable way, to maintain vision of the Roshan pit.
- Other good places for traps include jungle paths, secret shop, between enemy towers, and the top of ramps.
- When chasing, remember that Psionic Trap gains 5% more slow for every second after placement. Try to place your traps slightly ahead of enemies and let them charge past the base 30%.
- Refraction and Meld deal physical damage and can be used to farm siege creeps and ancients. Refraction also works on towers.
- Meld can be used to dodge projectiles with its instant fade time. Staying in Meld may be used as an escape but enemies will often use AoE effects to kill you even if they don't have detection.
- Refraction effectively has no down time, as its cooldown is the same as its duration. Preemptively casting it before entering a fight may allow you to seamlessly transition from one set of buffs into another.
- In DotA, Templar Assassin makes numerous references to the game Starcraft, another famous RTS game by Blizzard. Her ability to manipulate psionic energy, the psi blades she wields, and the mention of her master being originally from Aiur in her DotA biography all apply to the Protoss, one of the three main races of the game.
 Update history
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Meld buff getting dispelled.
- Fixed Meld not removing collision.
- Fixed Psionic Trap's nearby detonate ability not always working if the trap is too far.
- Fixed Psi Blades being slightly too wide in its spill.
- Fixed Meld when attacking Items.
- Fixed Meld if the target dies while the attack projectile is airborn.
- Fixed HP Removal spells (like Heartstopper Aura & Urn) draining Refraction.
- Fixed Meld debuff not disappearing properly when the attack is disjointed.
- Fixed Meld sometimes not hitting if you moved quickly after attacking.
- Fixed Meld initial attack doing too much damage.
- Meld damage display is now only shown for successful hits.
- Fixed Refraction being dispellable.
- Fixed Templar Assassin's Refraction and Pipe causing Blink Dagger to not get disabled.
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
 Balance changelog
- Psionic Trap sub-ability now has the same cast point as the ability on the trap itself.
- Refraction manacost increased from 75 to 100.
- Psionic Trap now requires a buildup time to reach its maximum slow. Starts at 30% and increases by 5% each second until it reaches 50%.
- Psi Blades no longer spills damage when attacking illusions.
- Psi Blades bonus range increased from 40/100/160/220 to 60/120/180/240.
- Refraction instances increased from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Psi Blades width increased from 70 to 80.
- Base damage increased from 45-55 to 53-59.
- Psi Blades spill range from 320 to 320/340/360/380.
- Psionic Trap now adds to your most recently placed trap to your selection panel as a secondary unit.
- Strength growth increased from 1.7 to 2.1.
- Changed Refraction duration/cooldown (20/23->17/17).
- Changed Psi Blades spill range (80/160/240/320->320) and attack range bonus (50/100/150/200->40/100/160/220).
- Refraction is now an instant cast ability.
- Improved turn rate.
- Improved Psionic Trap's cooldown progression.
- Slightly improved Psi Blades' spill width and range.
- Increased cooldown on Psionic Trap from 7 to 14 seconds.
- Lowered Meld mana cost
- Increased Templar's base attack range by 10
- Increased Refraction cooldown a little
- Rebalanced Refraction
 See also