Lanaya the Templar Assassin is a short-ranged Agility hero capable of dealing huge bursts of Physical damage to swathes of enemies with expert positioning and timing. Unlike most physical damage dealers, Lanaya reaches her damage potential quite early and then scales up from that point with carry items, letting her gank with impunity throughout the mid-game, and her range changes from a melee hero to a ranged hero with short reach as she levels Psi Blades.
Her Psionic Traps provide map control and the ability to chase down fleeing heroes from up to 2000 range, and Refraction and Meld lets you shrug off high-damage nukes and disjoint projectiles. With a Blink Dagger, Lanaya can quickly materialize in the enemy team's weakest flank and shred several heroes at once with her Meld and Psi Blades.
| Lanaya, the Templar Assassin
| Play "Where the Hidden Ones send me, I go without question. I do not even question why I question not."
|| Carry / Escape
|| Lanaya, the Templar Assassin, came to her calling by a path of curious inquiry. Possessed of a scientific bent, she spent her early years engaged in meticulous study of nature's laws--peering into grimoires of magic and alchemy, recreating experiments from charred fragments of the Violet Archives, and memorizing observations of the Keen recordkeepers. Already quiet and secretive by nature, the difficulty of acquiring these objects further reinforced her skills of stealth. Had she been less retiring, she might have become notorious among the guilds as a thief-scholar. Instead her investigations led her into far more obscure corners. As she devoted her furtive talents to unlocking the secrets of the universe, she instead unlocked a secret door that exists in nature itself: the entryway to the most Hidden Temple. The intelligences that waited beyond that portal, proved to be expecting her, and whatever mysteries they revealed in the moment of their discovery was nothing compared to the answers they held out to Lanaya should she continue in their service. She swore to protect the mysteries, but more to the point, in service to the Hidden Temple she satisfies her endless craving for understanding. In the eyes of each foe she expunges, a bit more of the mystery is revealed.
|| Linda K. Morris (Responses)
- Refraction interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Places 2 buffs on Templar Assassin, named "Damage" and "Absorb". One buff grants instances of damage block and the other buff grants instances of bonus attack damage.
- The buffs are not visible to enemies. The numbers of left instances are visible on the buff icons.
- Refraction - Damage buff
- The damage buff has a different icon than the absorb damage buff ().
- The particles on Templar Assassin's hands granted by the buff are visible to everyone.
- The bonus damage is added as raw attack damage bonus, which is visible in the hud.
- Loses a bonus damage instance when the attack projectile successfully lands on the target. So when the attack is evaded, or disjointed, no instance is lost.
- An instance is not lost when attacking a friendly unit, but the attack still does bonus damage.
- When casting Refraction while an attack projectile is traveling, the projectile will not get the bonus damage, but it will use up one instance upon landing.
- Meld interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- The attack projectile out of Meld can be disjointed.
- Turns Templar Assassin instantly invisible and orders her to stop.
- Meld is canceled by any action Templar Assassin does, except for attacking a target in range. Turning does not break Meld.
- Templar Assassin can drop or pick up items without breaking the invisibility when they are close enough.
- The repositioning effects of the following spells also break Meld:
- Black Hole, Vacuum, Gust, Deafening Blast, Tornado, Power Cogs, Meat Hook, Adaptive Strike, Telekinesis Primal Roar, Skewer, Flamebreak, Boulder Smash, Geomagnetic Grip, Greater Bash, Blinding Light, Electric Vortex, Toss, Cyclone, Snowball, Eul's Scepter of Divinity and Force Staff.
- When breaking the invisibility with an attack, Templar Assassin remains invisible until the projectile lands. While the projectile flies, she can act freely without losing the invisibility.
- The damage and armor reduction are only applied when Templar Assassin has the Meld buff on as the projectile hits. So when she dies, the projectile won't apply Meld's effects.
- The armor reduction debuff does not stack with itself.
- Neither the bonus damage nor the armor reduction from Meld affect buildings.
- Meld's damage is independent from her attack damage and is applied as a separate instance.
- Meld first applies Templar Assassin's actual attack damage, then the armor debuff and then the Meld damage.
- This means the leading attack's damage is not increased by the armor reduction, but the spell's own damage is.
- Psi Blades increases Templar Assassin's total attack range to 200/260/320/380.
- With no points in Psi Blades, Templar Assassin has an attack range of only 140. However, she is still treated as a ranged hero for all item interactions.
- The spill range is based on the attack target's position, not on Templar Assassin's. So from max attack range, she can hit units up to 790/890/990/1090 range away.
- Spill damage is based on her attack damage after all reductions meaning that the spill damage can be increased by reducing the armor of the primary target as well as by increasing Templar Assassin's attack damage with attack modifiers like crits, bashes and Manabreak.
- Attack modifiers are only applied to the primary target.
- Templar Assassin's position is checked as the projectile hits the target, not upon launching.
- Despite the visual effects, Psi Blades do not spill damage when attacking illusions or buildings.
- Psi Blades spill damage when attacking allies or wards.
| Psionic Trap
- The slow starts at 30% and increases by 0.5% in 0.1 second intervals, reaching the maximum slow 4 seconds after placing the trap.
- Psionic Traps do not slow upon getting destroyed.
- Casting Psionic Trap while teleporting and having the "Teleport Requires Stop" setting on, will still cancel the teleport.
| Springs the nearest trap, slowing nearby enemies.
| Cast Time: 0+0|
Trap Search Radius: Global
Slow Radius: 400
- Does not interrupt Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Cannot be cast while no traps are present (gives "No Traps" error message).
| Self Trap
| Springs the trap, slowing nearby enemies.
| Cast Time: 0+0|
Slow Radius: 400
- This is cast from the trap itself, allowing Templar Assassin to trigger traps from afar without having to trigger nearby traps first.
- Tangos and Healing Salves give Lanaya health regeneration allowing her to stay in the lane for longer.
- Clarities help hero sustaining the mana cost of her Refraction, which is an essential ability for Lanaya in her laning phase.
- Iron Branches give an overall cheap damage, health and mana boost and can be build into a Magic Wand later on.
- Boots of Speed is a vital item for every hero in the game in order to escape and chase when each is called for.
- As an aggressive midlaning hero, a Bottle is important for saving runes and sustaining her health and mana while she roams the map to find kills.
- A Magic Stick can help Lananya out a lot when facing heroes which spam their abilities. The instant health and mana restore can turn around the outcome of a fight when used properly.
- Power Treads are a good choice of boots upgrade for Templar Assassin, as it provides a bit of everything she needs, health, damage, attack speed and mana. If an agressive approach is desired, Phase Boots should be considered instead.
- The Magic Wand makes use of the branches and the Magic Stick from earlier and has a stronger potential heal burst.
- A Blink Dagger is essential to reach Lanaya's maximum potential. Although she is technically a ranged hero, her base attack range is similar to that of a melee hero. A Blink Dagger allows her to get in range to attack enemies and land her Meld attack, or to catch up on enemies slowed by her Psionic Traps. In teamfights, it helps her to position herself to use the full potential of Psi Blades. On the other side, it is also a great escaping tool when combined with her spells. Refraction prevents the dagger from getting disabled, but if it does get disabled, Meld can help her hide for a moment and then blink out (considering the enemy has no True Sight or area spells.
- Desolator increases Lanaya's damge output immensely, since Lanaya only deals physical damage by default (besides Psi Blades). The armor reduction of Desolator fully stacks with that of Meld, allowing her to reduce up to 15 armor on a target, which leads to highly increased damage output, which then translate into higher damage with Psi Blades, since their damage is based on what the initial attack target received. Ontop of these, Desolator also grants a decent raw attack damage bonus.
- Town Portal Scrolls are an item every hero should carry around, especially aggressive heroes like Templar Assassin. Combined with a Blink Dagger, it can assure a safe escape.
- A Black King Bar may be required to deal with disables. Although Refraction helps her dealing with any kind of damage, it does not stop disables. If avoiding their disables with blink or Meld isn't possible, a Black King Bar should be bought. Also besides the spell immunity, the item also grants some raw damage and a bit of health, increasing her damage output and survivability further.
- Assault Cuirass, similar to Desolator, synergises well with Lanaya as it reduces enemy armor, but also increases attack speed, increasing her damage output by a lot. Besides that, it also increases her defenses by granting her armor. The armor bonuses and reductions of it are also auras, making hero whole team benefit from it.
- Heart of Tarrasque allows Lanaya to fight for much longer, as it gives an enormous health boost. However, it should only be bought after having build up some damage first, because being tanky doesn't help her much when she deals little damage.
- The Butterfly is always a great item for every agility hero, as it increases attack damage and speed by a lot and also provides evasion, helping against enemy attacks. The evasion also greatly synergisse with Refraction. Refraction does not lose any damageblock charges for missed attacks.
- Manta Style can be considered on Templar Assassin if some extra push power is required, or as an additional defensive item,since its active ability can be used to avoid enemy spells and attacks. It also provides decent stats and grants some mobility. Keep in mind though that, despite her melee-like attack range, Templar Assassin is still a ranged hero, so the ranged illusion values and cooldown are used.
- Daedalus is a great item on Templar Assassin, since a critical strike will be spread to all enemies with Psi Blades. It also works extremely well together with her high amount of armor reduction from her ability and typical item choices. However, since it's a chance-based effect and is based on her attack damage, other damage increasing items are required first to unlock its high potential.
- Attacking allied units will not use up a Refraction charge. Use this to preserve your Refraction charges in lane for more damage.
- Refraction and Meld deal physical damage and are effective against siege creeps and ancient creeps. Refraction's bonus damage also works on towers.
- Refraction's cooldown is the same as its duration. Try to plan on entering a fight when its duration is almost finished, so you can re-cast Refraction shortly after it expires for two sets of damage block and bonus damage.
- Meld can be used to dodge projectiles.
- It can be difficult to hit an enemy from within Meld without a high level in Psi Blades. Use Psionic Trap, Blink Dagger, or disables from teammates to get close to enemies.
- Psionic Traps can be used for vision. Place traps in narrow walkways to monitor enemy movement. Traps can also be used to maintain vision of runes and the Roshan pit.
- Psionic Trap gains 5% more slow for every second after placement. Try to place your traps slightly ahead of enemies and let them charge past the base 30%.
- The movement speed from Drum of Endurance, Yasha, and Phase Boots helps Lanaya chase enemies caught in her Psionic Trap.
- In DotA, Templar Assassin makes numerous references to the game Starcraft, another famous RTS game by Blizzard. Her ability to manipulate psionic energy, the psi blades she wields, and the mention of her master being originally from Aiur in her DotA biography all apply to the Protoss, one of the three main races of the game.
July 10, 2015 Patch
October 17, 2014 Patch
- Fixed Trap radius from 375 to 400.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
March 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Meld buff getting dispelled.
February 14, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Meld not removing collision.
November 08, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Psionic Trap nearby detonate ability not always working if the trap is too far.
September 27, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Psi Blades being slightly too wide in its spill.
August 09, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld when attacking Items.
August 02, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld if the target dies while the attack projectile is airborn.
- Fixed HP Removal spells (like Heartstopper Aura & Urn) draining Refraction.
- Fixed Meld debuff not disappearing properly when the attack is disjointed.
July 27, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld sometimes not hitting if you moved quickly after attacking.
July 26, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Meld initial attack doing too much damage.
- Meld damage display is now only shown for successful hits.
July 19, 2012 Patch
July 12, 2012 Patch
- Added Templar Assassin!
- Enabled Templar Assassin, Disruptor and Undying in Captain's Mode.
January 26, 2012 Patch
- Reduced Trap cast time from 0.3 to 0 and it no longer interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells.
- Psionic Trap now requires a buildup time to reach its maximum slow. Starts at 30% and increases by 5% each second until it reaches 50%.
- Increased Psi Blades attack range bonus from 40/100/160/220 to 60/120/180/240.
- Increased Refraction number of instances from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Increased base attack damage from 22-32 to 31-36. (total attack damage is now 53-59).
- Increased Psi Blades spill range from 320 on each level to 320/340/360/380.
- Psionic Trap now automatically adds placed traps to the player's current selection group.
- Increased strength gain from 1.7 to 2.1.
- Reduced duration from 20 to 17.
- Reduced cooldown from 23 to 17.
- Reduced cast time from 0.3 to 0.
- Psi Blades
- Rescaled attack range bonus from 50/100/150/200 to 40/100/160/220.
- Increased spill range from 80/160/240/320 to 320 on each level.
- Increased turn rate from unknown to 0.7.
- Reduced Psionic Trap cooldown from 14 on each level to 11/9/7.
- Psi Blades
- Increased attack range bonus from 40/80/120/160 to 50/100/150/200.
- Increased spill range from 60/120/180/240 to 80/160/240/320.
- Increased spill width from unknown to 70.
- Increased Psionic Trap cooldown from 7 to 14.
- Increased attack range from 130 to 140.
- Increased base intelligence from 18 to 20.
- Reduced number of instances from 3/4/5/6 to 2/3/4/5.
- Increased attack damage bonus from 15/30/45/60 to 20/40/60/80.
- Increased cooldown from 20 to 23.
- Reduced manacost from 100 to 50.
- Reduced cooldown from 12 to 7.
- Reduced Psionic Trap cooldown from 10 to 7.