Sven the Rogue Knight is a versatile melee strength Hero with superior physical power yet is coupled with various abilities that provide various utility. He can fulfill various roles, but is often played as a semi-carry due to his high utility even without items. He possesses a versatile arsenal, from shouts that grant armor both for escaping and pushing to throwable gauntlets that disorient enemies around the target unit. With enough items, Sven has the potential to be a strong late-game carry due to his ultimate which increases his damage making him up to three times as powerful, which then can be used in conjunction with his Great Cleave in order to deal extraordinary cleave damage which can frequently lead to multiple kills with just a few swings from his sword. This immense power granted to him solely by his ultimate makes one of strongest late-game carries in the game, and arguably the strongest semi-carry of all, as his killing presence is able to stay up even if he decided to build more supportive/tanky/utility items. A truly frightening enemy to go up against if farmed, strong and versatile, Sven is a solid addition to almost every team composition.
| Sven, the Rogue Knight
| Play "May my enemies share the fate of the Shattered Helm."
|| Disabler / Initiator / Carry / Support
|| Sven is the bastard son of a Vigil Knight, born of a Pallid Meranth, raised in the Shadeshore Ruins. With his father executed for violating the Vigil Codex, and his mother shunned by her wild race, Sven believes that honor is to be found in no social order, but only in himself. After tending his mother through a lingering death, he offered himself as a novice to the Vigil Knights, never revealing his identity. For thirteen years he studied in his father's school, mastering the rigid code that declared his existence an abomination. Then, on the day that should have been his In-Swearing, he seized the Outcast Blade, shattered the Sacred Helm, and burned the Codex in the Vigil's Holy Flame. He strode from Vigil Keep, forever solitary, following his private code to the last strict rune. Still a knight, yes...but a Rogue Knight. He answers only to himself.
|| David Scully (Responses)
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- Disjointing it, or becoming invulnerable upon impact will completely nullify the effects, including the area stun and damage.
- Sven's sword emits some particles during the cast time, visible to everyone.
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of Sven. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- Aghanim's Scepter's aura bonus damage of 50%/75%/100% based on base damage and primary attribute of those affected.
- Sven's and the affected allies' current main damage is periodically checked, and the bonuses adapted instantly.
- The buff from the aura for allies lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Early on, Sven has very low mana, so building mana boosting items may be a good idea.
- Sven's good strength gain and base health pool make Soul Ring an effective item in situations where you plan on skirmishing early and often.
- Drum of Endurance is a great item as it meshes well with Sven's role and play style, all while providing a strong aura to other members of your team.
- Take Attribute Bonus over the two other abilities instead if you want more mana, attack speed and strength to increase the bonus of God's Strength early on and to help sustain your mana for using skills. However, this is only useful very early on, as Warcry is amazing for teamfights and Great Cleave helps Sven's farming speed.
- If you prefer to initiate, get a Blink Dagger. Blink to your target and stun them with your Storm Hammer, make sure you activate God's Strength immediately or beforehand, which is more preferable as you can save more time on the casting animation and transformation time.
- Avoid leveling Great Cleave early on, as it will greatly push the lane towards the enemy tower making farming more difficult.
- As a melee carry without a blink, Sven is especially susceptible to being kited and having crowd control effects placed on him, negating his damage output. Don't skip Black King Bar to buy more damaging items, as it may result in doing no damage at all.
- Sven's unique position of being a Support and Carry at the same time can make him a decent babysitter for a ranged carry like Weaver, Luna, or Sniper.
- Consider support items such as arcane boots to give you and your lane partner more mana for your spells.
- Without taking anything away from your lane partner, always try to find gold whenever and wherever possible (through pulling jungle creeps, roaming to help allies across the map, etc).
- Sven's unique kit allows him to transition into a strong late game hero. Although transitioning a dedicated support into a carry is not often ideal and difficult to execute, this can give your team an edge in long games; use this strategy carefully.
- Due to his Great Cleave and God's Strength a carry Sven benefits especially well from Heroes who can pull the enemy team together. This holds especially true with Magnus who can not only pull heroes together and stun them but also give Sven an additional cleave and damage bonus through Empower.
- Later on in the game, Assault Cuirass could be considered as well, as the negative armour debuff, attack speed and massive armour gain allows for Sven to truly become a tank.
- In order to maximize the effectiveness of God's Strength, you will need to obtain items that increase Sven's strength rather than raw damage - For this reason, consider skipping Mask of Madness for a Helm of the Dominator into a Satanic instead, as the substancial increase in strength, coupled with some decent raw damage and armor, and most importantly its intensely powerful lifesteal can increase his survivability dramatically, and if he has other strong strength items (Such as Heart of Tarrasque) and items with substancial attack speed bonuses (Such as Assault Cuirass or perhaps even Mjolnir), he can be nearly unstoppable under the effects of his ultimate.
- Sven's name is a reference to Sven-Ole Thorsen, a Danish bodybuilder and actor.
- In an earlier version of DotA, Sven had a fun name called Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- The phrases "Play Twas only a flesh wound" and "Play It was but a scratch" are references to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The phrases "Play Blame the host" and "Play Bad host" are references to the original Warcraft III DotA gameplay when game stability depended on quality of internet connection on the host player.
- Storm Hammer was named Storm Bolt in the early beta phases and was renamed into Storm Hammer at one point. It is also its original name in DotA1 and reflected in one of Sven's cast responses in Dota2, where he's refering to it as Play "Storm Bolt".
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
July 12, 2013 Patch
December 13, 2012 Patch
October 25, 2012 Patch
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghostship.
April 12, 2012 Patch
March 22, 2012 Patch
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Added rival death-taunts and other miscellaneous lines to flesh out dialog set for Juggernaut and Sven.
December 08, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Sven has a new portrait animation.
December 01, 2011 Patch
November 17, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Shukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
September 29, 2011 Patch
- Re-encoded Sven's VO to get rid of pops/clicks at end of files.
September 23, 2011 Patch
- Beefed up Sven's model and added bigger sword.
July 29, 2011 Patch
- Storm Hammer now has 800 vision while it flies that stays at the target for 3.34 seconds where it hits.
July 22, 2011 Patch
June 24, 2011 Patch
April 20, 2011 Patch
April 14, 2011 Patch
February 04, 2011 Patch
- Increased Warcry armor bonus from 4/8/12/16 to 5/10/15/20.
- Increased base damage from 31-33 to 37-39 (total attack damage is now 60-62).
- Increased base armor from -1 to 2 (total armor is now 4.94).
- Reduced Warcry cooldown from 36/30/24/18 to 32/26/20/14.
- Storm Hammer:
- Reduced cooldown from 15 to 13.
- Is now disjointable. When disjointed, none of its effects will apply, including the area effect.
- Reduced Great Cleave damage from 25%/40%/55%/70% to 20%/35%/50%/65%.
- Reduced Warcry duration from 8 to 7.
- Great Cleave
- Increased radius from 200 to 300.
- Rescaled damage from 30%/40%/50%/60% to 25%/40%/55%/70%.
- Increased radius from 700 to 900.
- Increased armor bonus from 3/6/9/12 to 4/8/12/16.
- Increased God's Strength attack damage bonus from 100%/140%/180% to 100%/150%/200%.
- Increased Great Cleave damage from 20%/30%/40%/50% to 30%/40%/50%/60%.
- Increased duration from 6 to 8.
- Removed cast time (was 0.3).
- God's Strength
- Is no longer purgeable.
- Increased attack damage bonus from 100%/125%/150% to 100%/140%/180%.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Increased Warcry radius from 450 to 700.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Increased attack range from 125 to 128.
- Increased Great Cleave radius from 175 to 200.
- Increased Warcry radius from 350 to 450.
- Increased base agility from 16 to 21.
- Old Storm Bolt:
- Throws a magical hammer at a target unit, damaging and stunning it. Can be disjointed.
- Cast range: 600
- Damage: 100/150/200/250
- Stun duration: 2
- Cooldown: 8
- Manacost: 140
- New Storm Hammer:
- Throws a magical hammer at a target unit, damaging and stunning the target and all enemy units within a small radius around the target. Cannot be disjointed.
- Cast range: 600
- Radius: 250
- Damage: 100/175:250/325
- Stun duration: 2
- Cooldown: 14
- Manacost: 140
- With the righteous anger of one wielding justice, Sven lets loose a mighty Warcry, heartening his allies for battle. Sven and nearby allies gain movespeed and increased armor.
- Movement Speed: 12%
- Armor: 3/6/9/12
- Radius: 350
- Duration: 6
- Cooldown: 36/30/24/18
- Manacost: 25
- Increased agility gain from 1.6 to 2.0.
- Reduced agility gain from 2.2 to 1.6.
- Increased base armor from 0 to 1 (total armor is now 3.24).
- Reduced Storm Bolt damage from 125/175/250/300 to 100/150/200/250.
- Increased God's Strength cooldown from 100/90/80 to 120/120/120.
- God's Strength
- Reduced duration from 40 to 30.
- Rescaled damage bonus from 75%/125%/175% to 100%/125%/150%.
- Reduced cooldown from 120/90/80 to 100/90/80.
- Reduced manacost from 150/200/250 to 100/150/200.
- Reduced Great Cleave damage from 12%/25%/37%/50% to 10%/20%/30%/40%.
- This ability was reworked into the current Storm Hammer in the 6.60 gameplay patch.
- The projectile travels at a speed of 1000 and can be disjointed.
| Toughness Aura
| Sven is here to pump you up! Increases armor of nearby allied units.
| Radius: 900|
Armor Bonus: 2/3/4/5
- This ability was replaced by Warcry in the 6.60 gameplay patch.
- Fully stacks with other armor increasing effects.
- The buff lingers for 2-4 seconds.