Sven the Rogue Knight is a versatile melee strength Hero with superior physical power yet is coupled with various abilities that provide various utility. He can fulfill various roles, but is often played as a semi-carry due to his high utility even without items. He possesses a versatile arsenal, from shouts that grant armor both for escaping and pushing to throwable gauntlets that disorient enemies around the target unit. With enough items, Sven has the potential to be a strong late-game carry due to his ultimate which increases his damage and his passive which allows him to hit multiple targets at once. He is a formidable foe and his versatility makes the Rogue Knight a great asset to any team.
- Early on, Sven has very low mana, so building mana boosting items may be a good idea.
- Sven's good strength gain and base health pool make Soul Ring an effective item in situations where you plan on skirmishing early and often.
- Drum of Endurance is a great item as it meshes well with Sven's role and play style, all while providing a strong aura to other members of your team.
- Take Attribute Bonus over the two other abilities instead if you want more mana, attack speed and strength to increase the bonus of God's Strength early on and to help sustain your mana for using skills. However, this is only useful very early on, as Warcry is amazing for teamfights and Great Cleave helps Sven's farming speed.
- If you prefer to initiate, get a Blink Dagger. Blink to your target and stun them with your Storm Hammer, make sure you activate God's Strength immediately or beforehand, which is more preferable as you can save more time on the casting animation and transformation time.
- Avoid leveling Great Cleave early on, as it will greatly push the lane towards the enemy tower making farming more difficult.
- As a melee carry without a blink, Sven is especially susceptible to being kited and having crowd control effects placed on him, negating his damage output. Don't skip Black King Bar to buy more damaging items, as it may result in doing no damage at all.
- Sven's unique position of being a Support and Carry at the same time can make him a decent babysitter for a ranged carry like Weaver, Luna, or Sniper.
- Consider support items such as arcane boots to give you and your lane partner more mana for your spells.
- Without taking anything away from your lane partner, always try to find gold whenever and wherever possible (through pulling jungle creeps, roaming to help allies across the map, etc).
- Sven's unique kit allows him to transition into a strong late game hero. Although transitioning a dedicated support into a carry is not often ideal and difficult to execute, this can give your team an edge in long games; use this strategy carefully.
- Due to his Great Cleave and God's Strength a carry Sven benefits especially well from Heroes who can pull the enemy team together. This holds especially true with Magnus who can not only pull heroes together and stun them but also give Sven an additional cleave and damage bonus through Empower.
- Later on in the game, Assault Cuirass could be considered as well, as the negative armour debuff, attack speed and massive armour gain allows for Sven to truly become a tank.
- Sven's name is a reference to Sven-Ole Thorsen, a Danish bodybuilder and actor.
- In an earlier version of DotA, Sven had a fun name called Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- The phrases "Play Twas only a flesh wound" and "Play It was but a scratch" are references to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The phrases "Play Blame the host" and "Play Bad host" are references to the original Warcraft III DotA gameplay when game stability depended on quality of internet connection on the host player.
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Storm Hammer aoe not hitting invisible units.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Great Cleave working on denies.
- Fixed Storm Hammer not stunning nearby targets if the primary target became magic immune while the projectile was traveling.
- Added rival death-taunts and other miscellaneous lines to flesh out dialog set for Juggernaut and Sven.
- Fixed Sven's Storm Hammer coming from the wrong hand.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Storm Hammer now has 800 vision while it flies that stays at the target for 3.34 seconds where it hits.
- Fixed Sven's Storm Hammer to correctly be un-dodgeable.
- Fixed aoe on Great Cleave (450->175).
- Warcry duration increased from 7 to 8 seconds.
- Aghanim's Scepter's God's Strength ally bonus damage from 40/60/80% to 50/75/100%.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter: While activated, God's Strength grants an allied aura (900 area of effect) for 40/60/80% of base damage.
- Base damage increased by 6.
- Base armor increased by 3.
- Warcry cooldown reduced from 36/30/24/18 to 32/26/20/14.
- Storm Hammer:
- Cooldown reduced from 15 to 13.
- Is now dodgeable.
- Great Cleave damage decreased from 25/40/55/70 to 20/35/50/65.
- Warcry duration decreased from 8 to 7 seconds.
- Great Cleave
- AoE increased from 200 to 300.
- Damage rescaled from 30/40/50/60% to 25/40/55/70%.
- God's Strength bonus damage increased from 100/140/180% to 100/150/200%.
- AoE increased from 700 to 900.
- Armor increased from 3/6/9/12 to 4/8/12/16.
- Great Cleave increased from 20/30/40/50% to 30/40/50/60%.
- God's Strength
- No longer purgeable.
- Damage buff increased from 100/125/150% to 100/140/180%.
- Duration increased from 6 to 8 seconds.
- Cast time removed.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Warcry AoE increased from 450 to 700.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Great Cleave AoE increased from 175 to 200.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Sven previously had 125 range.
- Storm Hammer cooldown increased from 14 to 15.
- Warcry AoE increased from 350 to 450.
- Base agility increased from 16 to 21.
- Replaced Toughness Aura with a new ability Warcry:
- With the righteous anger of one wielding justice, Sven lets loose a mighty Warcry, heartening his allies for battle. Sven and nearby allies gain movespeed and increased armor.
- Movement Speed: 12%. Armor: 3/6/9/12. AOE: 350. Duration: 6. Cooldown: 36/30/24/18.
- Reworked how Storm Bolt works:
- Targets an area around an enemy unit and releases a magical hammer dealing damage and stunning enemy units.
- Damage: 100/175/250/325. Stun Duration: 2. AOE: 250. CD: 14. Manacost: 140. Cast Range: 600.
- Improved Great Cleave damage (10/20/30/40 to 20/30/40/50%).
- Improved God's Strength's cooldown from 120 to 80 seconds.
- Improved Sven's Agility gain.
- Lowered Sven's agility gain.
- Reduced Sven's base armor.
- Improved Toughness Aura
- Undid some of the Toughness Aura buff from last version
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- God Strength cooldown from 100/90/80 to 120/120/120
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Minor nerf sven movespeed
- Nerfed Sven's cleave from 15/30/45/60 to 12/25/37/50