Sven the Rogue Knight is a versatile melee strength hero with superior physical power coupled with powerful utility abilities. He can fulfill various roles, but is often played as a semi-carry due to his high utility even without items. He possesses a versatile arsenal, from shouts, which grant armor both for escaping and pushing, to throwable gauntlets that disorient enemies around the target unit. With enough items, Sven has the potential to be a strong late-game carry due to his ultimate, which increases his damage, making him hit up to three times as hard, which then can be used in conjunction with his Great Cleave to secure multiple kills with just a few swings of his sword. This immense power granted to him solely by his ultimate makes him one of strongest late-game carries in the game, and arguably the strongest semi-carry of all, as his killing presence remains even if he decides to build more supportive/tanky/utility items. A truly frightening enemy to go up against if farmed, strong and versatile, Sven is a solid addition to almost every team composition.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Sven unleashes his magical gauntlet that deals damage and stuns enemy units.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 600
Effect Radius: 255
Stun Duration: 2
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- Storm Hammer travels at a speed of 1000 and can be disjointed.
- Disjointing it completely nullifies the effects, including the area stun and damage.
- The projectile has 225 radius flying vision. This vision does not last.
- Sven's sword emits some particles during the cast time, visible to everyone.
|Sven strikes with great force, cleaving all nearby enemy units with his attack.|
|Cleave Radius: 300|
Cleave Damage: 30%/42%/54%/66%
- Cleave damage is reduced by Damage Block.
- The cleave damages a circular area in front of Sven.
- Fully stacks with other sources of cleaves. Each source of cleave works completely independent.
- Does not cleave upon attacking wards, buildings or allied units. Wards and buildings are unaffected by cleave.
- Despite the visual effect, cleave damage is applied instantly in the whole area.
|Sven's Warcry heartens his allies for battle, increasing their movement speed and armor. Lasts 8 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Effect Radius: 900
Move Speed Bonus: 12%
Armor Bonus: 5/10/15/20
Buff Duration: 8
|Sven channels his rogue strength, granting bonus damage for 25 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Self Damage Bonus: 100%/150%/200%
Allies Bonus Radius: 0 ( 900)
Allies Attack Damage Bonus: 0 ( 75%/100%/125%)
Buff Duration: 25
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of Sven. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- The bonus attack damage is based on the main attack damage of the affected allies, and not on Sven's own damage.
- Sven's and the affected allies' current main damage is periodically checked, and the bonuses adapted instantly.
- The aura is only active while God's Strength is active.
- The buff from the aura for allies lingers for 0.5 seconds.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Iron Branch gives Sven much needed stats, also additional regeneration combined with Tango.
- Tangos are needed for early health regeneration.
- Healing Salve gives rapid health regeneration, at a higher cost.
- Stout Shield helps Sven deal with harassment in lane.
- Enchanted Mango gives burst mana replenish which allows for an additional Storm Hammer in a pinch.
- Quelling Blade can be picked up to help Sven last hit more efficiently.
- Clarity potions can be useful due to Sven's small mana pool and large mana cost on Storm Hammer, and is more likely bought by a supportive Sven.
- Poor Man's Shield is a upgrade from Stout Shield and help Sven tank harassment in forms of attack.
- Boots of Speed increases Sven's moderate movement speed, allows him to attack a few more times while chasing and escape.
- Magic Stick is a good choice when faced with heavy lane harassment in forms of skills.
- Soul Ring is sometimes bought so that Sven can use Storm Hammer more frequently.
- Magic Wand is a good choice to consolidate Magic Stick's functionality and the minor attribute boosts when starting with Iron Branches.
- Power Treads synergize well with Sven's build due to the bonuses in attack speed and its requirement of Belt of Strength.
- Black King Bar is the most important core item for Sven. It is his only defense against disables, and provides a good boost to Sven's strength and damage. However sometimes the item could be purchased later since it does not increase your farm speed.
- Drum of Endurance will enable Sven to quickly get into combat and survive teamfights. It can be bought if Sven's early game does not go well enough to afford bigger items.
- Mask of Madness compensates for his low attack and move speed. With lifesteal, Sven can recover his health with just a few hits on the enemy.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is a good early teamfight item as it provides overall growth in damage and attack speed as well as additional health and armor while active. Its active could be switched twice in quick succession in a pinch to gain additional health.
- Echo Sabre essentially acts as a crit, allowing Sven's burst to increase significantly for a cheap price. Additionally, this second attack works identically to his regular attacks, meaning, if used while possessing a Daedalus, gives Sven twice the chance to crit.
- Helm of the Dominator is an alternative to Mask of Madness, providing more armor than speed, and also allowing Sven to dominate a creep and use them to stack camps with it, allowing him to farm quickly thanks to his cleave.
- Blink Dagger greatly improves Sven's mobility, allowing him to initiate teamfights as well as gank unsuspecting enemies, which can make a big difference in game outcomes.
- Sange and Yasha is a worthwhile pick up for the mid game, especially because Sven can obtain it quickly - The attack speed, movement speed and added damage (partially added through strength) are all things Sven needs while the maim makes it harder for enemies to kite him.
- Daedalus is the attack damage item Sven needs, as it gives Sven the critical chance that allows him to destroy enemies in just a few hits.
- Monkey King Bar provides less damage compared to Daedalus. However, True Strike counters Evasion, and the Mini-bash part allows Sven to chase and manfight better.
- Moon Shard grants a huge boost in attack speed. Though largely lacking in utility and thus exceeded in usefulness by several other choices, a Moon Shard is a powerful luxury item that ensures Sven's continued dominance in a winning game. As Moon Shard can be consumed to permanently add attack speed, it does not need to take up an useful item slot that most other lategame items do.
- Assault Cuirass can be considered in the late game, as the negative armour debuff, attack speed and massive armor gain allows for Sven to truly become a tank.
- Heart of Tarrasque not only provides Sven with much better survivability, it also gives a lot strength bonus, which greatly increases the damage from God's Strength.
- Satanic is the natural evolution of Helm of the Dominator and provides Sven with a good amount of strength on top of the stat bonuses from Helm. The active synergises well with Sven's large DPS, ensuring that he will be able to get back into full health should he be allowed to continue attacking.
- Refresher Orb gives Sven twice the time of Satanic, also double Storm Hammer in quick succession. The biggest contribute it provides is the 10 second Black King Bar in late game when Sven may be kited due to the Spell Immunity time loss. It also gives additional time for God's Strength to reactivate so that Sven can bring down towers after teamfight or reactivate after buyback. Beware of Sven's small mana pool since Refresh active costs a lot of mana.
- Boots of Travel is a natural pickup in late game.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Counters[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Lore[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sven's name is a reference to Sven-Ole Thorsen, a Danish bodybuilder and actor.
- In an earlier version of DotA, Sven had a fun name called Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- The phrases "Play Twas only a flesh wound" and "Play It was but a scratch" are references to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The phrases "Play Blame the host" and "Play Bad host" are references to the original Warcraft III DotA gameplay when game stability depended on quality of internet connection on the host player.
- Storm Hammer was named Storm Bolt in the early beta phases and was renamed into Storm Hammer at one point. It is also its original name in DotA1 and reflected in one of Sven's cast responses in Dota2, where he's referring to it as Play "Storm Bolt".
Equipment[edit | edit source]