19 + 1.5
22 + 1.8
23 + 2.6
Raijin Thunderkeg, the Storm Spirit, is a ranged Intelligence hero who wields the elemental power of lightning. He has high mobility, strong ganking and carrying potential, and very good synergy between his hero abilities.
Static Remnant creates an immobile clone of himself that, upon contact with an enemy, shocks all enemies in a small area for damage. It has a very low cooldown, making it a good farming skill. Electric Vortex binds an enemy to himself, drawing it in slowly; at higher levels of the skill, it will always be able to pull the target into a Static Remnant. Overload further supplements this combo by harnessing the excess charge whenever Raijin casts a spell, adding it in the form of magical damage to his next attack and zapping enemies in a radius around the target. Finally, Storm Spirit's ultimate and signature skill is Ball Lightning, in which he transforms into pure energy, sacrificing his own mana to dash quickly around the map in an invulnerable state, inflicting minor damage to foes he impacts as well as giving him an Overload charge. It can be used to initiate and escape long distances with ease.
Because his ultimate disjoints enemy projectiles and has no cooldown, he can prove to be one of the most slippery foes in the game, provided that he has enough mana regeneration to sustain it and/or the enemy team does not have strong disables such as stuns and silences. However, without proper mana management, he will run out of juice very quickly and become a sitting duck. While extremely vulnerable early game before he acquires his ultimate, once he does so, if he gets a few quick kills and some mana-sustaining items, he will become an unstoppable force of nature.
| Raijin, the Storm Spirit
| Play "Everyone complains about the weather...well, I'm doing something about it!"
|| Carry / Initiator / Escape / Disabler
|| Storm Spirit is literally a force of nature--the wild power of wind and weather, bottled in human form. And a boisterous, jovial, irrepressible form it is! As jolly as a favorite uncle, he injects every scene with crackling energy. But it was not always thus, and there was tragedy in his creation. Generations ago, in the plains beyond the Wailing Mountains, a good people lay starving in drought and famine. A simple elementalist, Thunderkeg by name, used a forbidden spell to summon the spirit of the storm, asking for rain. Enraged at this mortal’s presumption, the Storm Celestial known as Raijin lay waste to the land, scouring it bare with winds and flood. Thunderkeg was no match for the Celestial--at least until he cast a suicidal spell that forged their fates into one: he captured the Celestial in the cage of his own body. Trapped together, Thunderkeg's boundless good humor fused with Raijin's crazed energy, creating the jovial Raijin Thunderkeg, a Celestial who walks the world in physical form.
|| John Patrick Lowrie (Responses)
- The slow and damage are applied to all enemy units within the radius around the attacked target.
- The charge is released upon successfully hitting a target. If the attack misses or is disjointed, nothing will happen.
- Each attack checks for the buff on Storm Spirit upon successfully hitting the target. If the buff is present, the charge will be released.
- This means when Storm Spirit gains the buff while an attack projectile is flying, that attack will still release the charge when it hits.
- Attacking buildings or allies does not release the charge, however attacking wards does.
- Magic Stick can give Storm Spirit a quick burst of mana and health during a gank, or can help to counter harassment.
- Boots of Speed help positioning in lane.
- Magic Wand is a cheap upgrade from Magic Stick which provides very cost effective attributes.
- Power Treads give some extra health and can also be used to tread-switch to get the most out of a Bottle or your spells.
- Orchid Malevolence gives Intelligence and attack speed. Its active helps greatly for ganking targets with good escapes.
- Bottle lessens the amount of trips spent walking to the fountain, and allows more liberal usage of Storm Spirit's spells to farm.
- Town Portal Scroll will give you a fast escape when necessary, and the ability to help your teammates in other lanes
- Scythe of Vyse is great for locking down an enemy who tends to get away from you. It also provides good mana regeneration and health.
- Bloodstone helps offset Storm Spirit's extreme mana usage. Getting charges on your Bloodstone will help mana regeneration further. It also provides health and health regeneration.
- Linken's Sphere makes Storm Spirit significantly harder to kill. It also provides good mana regeneration and some max health.
- Black King Bar is useful when the enemy team has many stuns. Use it to pick off key enemy heroes during teamfights.
- Dagon is actually a good item on a snowballing Storm, as it grants extra int and increases your burst damage significantly, especially when used with ball lightning
- Shiva's Guard gives Intelligence, armor, and a giant slow that is useful for teamfights. Note that you can activate Shiva's Guard while in Ball Lightning.
- Monkey King Bar can pack quite an extra punch to his autoattacks, and provides Storm attack speed and directly counters evasion.
- Eye of Skadi although expensive, it gives Storm a lot of stats, greatly improving his mana, health points, damage and a very useful orb effect for chasing.
- Electric Vortex allows Raijin to pull his target close enough to his Static Remnant, triggering its damage.
- Ball Lightning can be cast at minuscule ranges to trigger Overload.
- Using Ball Lightning, Storm Spirit can travel behind enemies, forcing them to turn around to attack him. Dance around an enemy with Ball Lightning to confuse them even more.
- A very common combo Storm Spirit uses to nuke down lone heroes is to ambush them with: Ball Lightning > Attack > Vortex > Attack > Remnant > Attack > Ball Lightning through them to dodge their retaliation > Attack > Escape if enemy has not died. This will greatly injure most heroes, and kill those foolish enough to be walking around alone with weakened HP.
- Another alternative would be to use ball lightning > overload > vortex > remnant > overload > then just normal attack and use ball lightning to chase enemies when out of range. When engaging heroes like Earthshaker/ Vengeful Spirit, a wise move would be to use ball lightning after vortex is over since the enemy would most likely cast a stun first which storm would be able to dodge.
- When engaging a group of heroes, Storm Spirit can actually, although at a risk, be the first one to engage them, followed by several allies already behind him to back him up. This strategy can make enemy heroes blow most cooldowns on Storm Spirit while he can simple run away with Ball Lightning, disable a hero with Electric Vortex, leave a Static Remnant behind and pave the way for allied heroes and their counter initiation.
- While in Ball Lightning, you can use items like Shiva's Guard to bring a dazzling yet deadly cold storm which follows around while rolling on. Great for initiating and crippling enemies, along with Overload, escaping away is most unlikely. You can also cast Static Remnant for farming or pushing, or just show some amazing power.
- If you are going to build a Bloodstone, it is advisable to build Arcane Boots first. This will give you a good mana boost early, and you can disassemble Arcane Boots to finish Bloodstone once you have all necessary components.
November 18, 2014 Patch
November 14, 2013 Patch
September 13, 2012 Patch
July 19, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Static Remnant blocking Creep camps.
May 17, 2012 Patch
- Added additional dialog for Earthshaker, Pudge, Storm Spirit, Shadow Fiend, and Doombringer.
March 22, 2012 Patch
- Fixed attack projectile speed.
January 19, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Ball Lightning costing draining more mana if you cast it again while still in it.
January 12, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Overload charge being used up if the target dies before impact.
November 17, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
November 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed an exploit with Ball Lightning that could cause you to kill enemy units from your fountain.
- Fixed Ball Lightning's stopping a little too early when almost out of mana
October 13, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Electric Vortex affecting Roshan.
- Fixed Static Remnant cast point.
September 09, 2011 Patch
- Ball Lightning now properly gives 1000/1000 flying vision for its duration.
July 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Static Remnant affecting ancients.
- Fixed Static Remnant triggering rules.
May 26, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Static Remnant not giving vision.
May 13, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Electric Vortex sometimes not pulling a unit if it is running away while casting.
March 12, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Storm's Overcharge being used up on denies.
January 27, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Storm's Overload using up charges against towers.
- Turn Rate improved from 0.6 to 0.8
- Base movement speed reduced from 295 to 290.
- Overload bonus damage increased from 30/45/60/75 to 30/50/70/90.
- Base Strength increased by 2.
- Intelligence growth increased from 2.2 to 2.6.
- Intelligence base and growth reduced from 26 + 2.6 to 23 + 2.2.
- Electric Vortex mana cost increased from 100 to 100/110/120/130.
- Attack range lowered from 500 to 480.
- Base Intelligence increased from 23 to 26.
- Attack Range: 500. Movement Speed 295.
- Strength: 17 + 1.5. Agility: 22 + 1.8. Intelligence: 23 + 2.6.
- Static Remnant:
- Raijin creates a remnant of himself containing his essence. The Static Remnant will release its stored energy whenever an enemy units comes near it. Lasts up to 12 seconds.
- Damage: 140/180/220/260. Trigger AOE: 210. Damage AOE: 260. Cooldown: 4. Manacost: 70/80/90/100.
- Takes 1 second to create after cast. This is not channeling, just time delayed.
- Electric Vortex:
- Storm focuses his energy to rip open a vortex drawing an enemy to it. This process slows the Storm Spirit down for a brief period.
- Pulls 100/150/200/250 units over 1/1.5/2/2.5 seconds.
- Your movement is reduced by 50% for 3 seconds.
- Cast Range: 300. Manacost: 100. Cooldown: 20.
- Storm Spirit becomes overloaded with electrical energy whenever he casts a spell. The charge is released on his next attack as an electrical burst, dealing damage and slowing nearby units.
- Slow: 50% as 80% ms Lasts 0.6 seconds (Same stats as old overload)
- Bonus damage: 30/45/60/75. AOE: 275.
- Ball Lightning:
- Storm Spirit becomes enveloped with energy, losing his physical form, and travels until he depletes his mana or chooses to stop. While in this form, he deals damage to nearby units based on how far his electrical form has traversed. Damage, speed and area of effect improves per level.
- Stops traveling whenever you run out of mana. Deals damage in a small area around you based on distance traveled.
- Damage: 8/12/16 per 100 units traveled. Manacost: (15 + 7% of total manabase) + mana based on distance traveled (10+1% per 100 units). Cast Range: Global. Cooldown: 0.
- Travel speed and damage AoE improves per level.
- You can cast spells like Static Remnant during your roll if you are quick enough.
- Specific interactions with spells/projectiles follow the same rules as Waveform does.
- Improved Storm Spirit's base armor.
- Improved cast range on Lightning Grapple
- Increased Barrier cooldown
| Electric Rave (pre 6.58)
| Transfers mana into pure electric current at a rapid rate, increasing the Storm Spirit's attack speed.
| Mana Cost per Second: 6/9/12/15|
Bonus Attack Speed: 20/40/60/80
This ability was replaced by Static Remnant in the 6.58 gameplay patch.
| Barrier (pre 6.58)
| Shields a target with Raijin's discharged mana, resisting spell damage while under the effect.
| Duration: 20|
Max Damage Prevented: 150/300/450/600
This ability was replaced by Electric Vortex in the 6.58 gameplay patch.
| Overload (pre 6.58)
| Each successful attack builds up a static charge, eventually releasing in the form for an electrical burst. The burst deals damage and does a minor Purge-like effect to the attacked foe and nearby area.
| Radius: 350|
Attacks to trigger: 8/7/6/5
This ability got reworked in the 6.58 gameplay patch.
| Lightning Grapple (pre 6.58)
| Creates an electrical attraction between the Storm Spirit and a target area, pulling him and all nearby units to that point.
| Radius: 200|
This ability got reworked in the 6.58 gameplay patch.
The International 4 artwork
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin