SteamRep is a non-profit site that partners with community administrators to improve the safety of game-related trading. The site was created by Ðiego and, through the help of trusted volunteers and community admins, it has grown into the most popular scam prevention tool for Steam trading. SteamRep gathers scammer reports from a number of high-profile trade communities, as well as hosting its own forums to allow for reporting.
SteamRep supports DotA 2 trading and began taking scam reports from the DotA 2 community in June 2012, soon after the DotA 2 store was launched.
In addition to supporting numerous Steam trading sites and Team Fortress 2 trading servers, SteamRep has branched out into supporting other aspects of the community as well. SteamRep is a sponsor of the UGC Competitive Gaming League and sponsored the Fall 2012 Team Fortress 2 season unusual hat raffle. SteamRep is currently planning another charity DotA 2 event with other DotA 2 communities.
In February 2013, SteamRep partnered with other communities and trading sites for the DotA 2 Charity Invitational: Heroes Helping Heroes. The charity event raised £2,319.14 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
SteamRep supports Valve tags in addition to community tags. Users who are trade banned or on trade probation are also marked as such in their SteamRep profile. The following communities are partners with SteamRep and have their own tags on the site:
- TF2 Trading Post
- TF2 Outpost
- Reddit Trade Communities
- RAWR Trade Club
- Wicked Afterlife TF2 Servers
- Mann Co. Trading
- Republic of Korea Community
- TF2 Raffle House
- Big Bang Gamers
- Convict Gaming
- Darkly Gaming Network
- Wantedgov Italian Multigaming Community (italiano)
- Dota 2 Traders
The following communities and/or trade servers are associated with SteamRep:
- Luigi Thirty's Unusual Hat Search
- TF2 Unusual
- The Brothers Googly
- UGC League Gaming
- Fortress of Gamers
The following tags are used on SteamRep:
- BANNED BY VALVE - Similar to a scammer tag, this person has been trade banned by Valve.
- VALVE PROBATION - Similar to a caution, this person is on trade probation by Valve.
- VALVE EMPLOYEE - Valve employee
- SR DONATOR - Traders that support the cause by donating cash or items to SR
- ADMIN - Admin belonging to the respective communities.
- MIDDLEMAN - Proved to the community that they can be trusted to middleman trades.
- TRUSTED SELLER - Belongs to a community trusted seller group.
- CAUTION - Shady and/or questionable trading activity, or other offenses deemed unacceptable.
- SCAMMER - A person with this tag was found to be guilty of one or many of the following:
- Trading with known scammers (See the SteamRep FAQ for more info)
- Charge-back or Reversal
- Quick-switching items
- Receiving the item and not paying
- Providing or soliciting fake reputation claims ("fake rep")
- Using a fake middleman
- Impersonating and acting as an imposter
- Accomplice to a scammer
- Brokering (selling on behalf of) scammers and scammed items
- Deceptive and/or underhanded activities which run afoul of Valve's TOS.
Banned by Valve and Valve Probation tags are applied automatically when a trade ban/probation is applied. Unlike other tags, Valve controls these tags exclusively through application of trade bans and trade probations.
SteamRep's central focus is a search box where a user can search for a user by SteamID 32, SteamID 64, custom URL, or Paypal email. Above the search box are tabs where a user can access various lists and tools. Below the box are buttons to report scammers or repeal a scammer tag. The home site also features a real-time listing of latest viewed profiles and latest marked scammers, as well as a listing of communities which support SteamRep. Statistics regarding the site are listed as well as a button to make a donation.
There are tabs at the top of the site which link to lists of middlemen and community admins as well as information about the API, link to the forums, and a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
- Statistics, SteamRep.com website
- SteamRep forums
- May 31, 2012 Patch
- Official DotA 2 Blog, 7 February 2013
- Heroes Helping Heroes Just Giving Website
- "IAMA SteamRep Admin, AMAA", Reddit.com website
- SteamRep.com website