Barathrum the Spirit Breaker is a powerful ganker type melee strength Hero that concentrates on taking out single targets, while lacking in larger team fights. His Charge of Darkness lets him charge towards any target available, while knocking off all enemies in his path. If you see the charge coming, it may already be too late. He is picked mostly for his high damage given by his Greater Bash which crushes the life out of his helpless victims. Barathrum can instantly and quickly move to his enemy via Nether Strike and shock them with a soul-bashing blow. Tanky, mobile and with an array of high-damage knockbacks, including a passive one attached to his right clicks, Spirit Breaker's ganking capabilities are second to none.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Goes into cooldown once the charge ends or is cancelled, not upon cast.
- The charge indicator above the target is visible to allies only.
- During Charge of Darkness, Spirit Breaker moves through other units and impassable terrain.
- The charge is cancelled when Spirit Breaker gets stunned, cycloned, hexed, rooted, slept, hidden or hit by Forced Movement.
- While rooted, Charge of Darkness cannot be cast. On attempt, the player gets the error message "Can't Cast While Rooted".
- The charge is not cancelled by taunts. Instead, Spirit Breaker starts attacking the taunting unit once the charge stops.
- Charge of Darkness cannot be manually canceled during taunts.
- Spirit Breaker can cancel it by issuing a targeted order, like attacking, moving, casting Nether Strike or any targeted item.
- Non-targeted items and Empowering Haste do not cancel the charge.
- Since it is not a channeling spell, shift-queuing orders does not work and causes the charge to get cancelled.
- Except for shift-queuing Patrol commands, in which case, the charge does not get cancelled.
- However, when the charge ends, Spirit Breaker is issued an attack order which overwrites the shift-queued orders.
- When auto-attack is enabled, Spirit Breaker can automatically attack units when close enough, without cancelling the charge.
- Spirit Breaker is moved via Forced Movement. His movement speed is completely unrelated, so slows have no effect.
- This also means that Greater Bash does not deal damage based on the charge speed.
- Any unit which comes within 300 radius of Spirit Breaker during the charge gets hit by the current level of Greater Bash.
- The bash radius is offset by 20 units in front of Spirit Breaker, so it can hit units 280 range behind and 320 range in front of him.
- If the target dies, the charge is transferred to the nearest valid target within 4000 range of the previous target.
- The charge provides shared vision over the targeted unit. This means it still continues when the target turns invisible.
- Does not provide vision when targeting neutral creeps.
- Destroys trees within a small radius around Spirit Breaker whenever the charge ends.
- The buff is placed upon reaching the target and lasts for 0.1 seconds. Its purpose is unknown.
- Empowering Haste does not interrupt Spirit Breaker's channeling spells upon cast.
- When activating, the movement speed bonus increases from 6%/10%/14%/18% to 9%/15%/21%/27% for 6 seconds.
- After the first 6 seconds, the movement speed bonus decreases from 9%/15%/21%/27% to 3%/5%/7%/9% for 6 seconds.
- After those 6 seconds, the movement speed bonus increases from 3%/5%/7%/9% back to 6%/10%/14%/18% until activated again.
- Resetting the cooldown with Refresher Orb also resets the movement speed bonus back to the standard values.
- Empowering Haste's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Does not stack with other bashes. The bash from Skull Basher and Abyssal Blade is completely disabled for Spirit Breaker.
- Knocks back bashed units 143/152/158/162 distance, over 0.5 seconds, resulting in a speed of 286/304/316/324.
- Also knocks affected enemies 50 units upwards, resulting in a small arc. This has only visual purposes.
- With the move speed limits of 100 to 522, min and max possible damage are 22/30/38/46 and 115/157/198/240 (before reductions).
- Greater Bash's damage is dealt in a separate instance, so it cannot be reduced by attack damage reducing abilities.
- Greater Bash's effects are applied before the attack damage, first applying its knockback, then its damage, and then the speed boost.
- Can proc on Roshan, putting it on cooldown and giving the movement speed boost, but Roshan is neither knocked back nor stunned.
- Adds an average of 3.74%/5.1%/6.46%/7.82% Spirit Breaker's movement speed as magical damage to every attack.
- Greater Bash uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Nether Strike does not disjoint projectiles upon cast.
- Places the debuff on the target during the cast time.
- Nether Strike instantly moves Spirit Breaker on the opposite site of the target, 54 range away from it.
- Instantly applies Greater Bash on the target based on its current level. The bash is applied before its own damage is.
- If Greater Bash is not learned, Nether Strike does not bash the target. All of its other effects are applied normally.
- Spirit Breaker is ordered to attack the target. This attack order ignores the auto-attack settings.
- The Greater Bash radius added by Aghanim's Scepter is centered around Spirit Breaker.
- The buff is placed upon reaching the target and lasts for 0.1 seconds. Its purpose is unknown.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Tango and a Healing Salve help Spirit Breaker sustain during the laning phase, preventing him from returning to base due to enemy harassment.
- Stout Shield will greatly reduce incoming damage from physical damage during the laning phase. This is most helpful when the lane has one or more ranged heroes harassing consistently.
- Iron Branch is a cheap and effective way to improve Spirit Breaker's low mana pool, as well as his health pool.
- Boots of Speed are essential for Spirit Breaker, as the improved speed will allow him to escape deadly situations, as well as catching up to an escaping enemy. The bonus movement speed will also provide additional damage because of Greater Bash.
- Magic Stick is a useful burst health/mana item if the enemies in lane will be casting many spells. It can later be built into a Magic Wand.
- Urn of Shadows is a helpful item when roaming or ganking. Assuming a gank is successful, Spirit Breaker can use the Urn of Shadows to heal without returning to the fountain. The bonus mana regeneration also allows him the ability to use Charge of Darkness far more frequently.
- Power Treads give additional attack speed, as well as durability and damage, all of which increase the effectiveness of Greater Bash.
- Magic Wand is good for burst health/mana while providing a boost to his attributes compared to the Magic Stick.
- Mask of Madness gives bonus attack speed and movement speed when activate, increasing both the damage and frequency of Greater Bash attacks.
- Black King Bar makes you immune to many abilities that interrupt your Charge of Darkness, allowing you to engage and damage your target unimpeded.
- Aghanim's Scepter improves Nether Strike by greatly reducing it's cooldown, as well as increasing its range. It also causes all nearby units to be hit by Greater Bash. This can be a good choice if your team needs a powerful initiation spell.
- Heaven's Halberd will not only increase Spirit Breaker's durability from physical attacks because of the added evasion, it's active ability can disarm enemy carries relying on physical damage.
- Armlet of Mordiggian grants Spirit Breaker additional attack speed and damage output at the cost of his health every second. However, the life drain can mostly be countered by the lifesteal given by the Mask of Madness, making it a useful purchase when used correctly.
- Assault Cuirass will give Spirit Breaker a large increase in attack speed, as well as providing an attack speed/armor aura to nearby allies. The extra attack speed will cause Greater Bash to occur more frequently.
- Monkey King Bar will grant a significant damage bonus on when the bash occurs. This synergizes well with the other attack speed items used to increase the frequency of Greater Bash.
- Drum of Endurance increases the movement speed and attack speed of both himself and his team. The bonus movement speed and attack speed synergize well with Greater Bash.
- Moon Shard gives Spirit Breaker the largest single-item-slot increase in attack speed in the entire game, which causes Greater Bash to occur very frequently. Thus, it should be considered to keep it through the majority of the game until a more effective item can be purchased, at which point the Shard can be consumed and replaced - The attack speed bonus will be halved, but having a permanent 60 attack speed bonus without needing an inventory slot for it is extremely useful.
- Silver Edge grants you invisibility which could be useful for escape or to further increase your ganking/roaming capabilities. Attacking to break invisibility will disable enemy passives, reduce their damage, and give you a powerful 225 strike. Additionally, it has a chance to slow enemy movement and attack speed for 4 seconds, making him harder to escape. It also grants 16 points of Spirit Breaker's primary attribute, Strength.
- Glimmer Cape also gives you invisibility while also making you much more magic resistant during the invisibility, making escapes significantly easier, and can be activated before using Nether Strike to avoid being interrupted without needing a Black King Bar. It also gives him attack speed and natural magical resistance, making him a stronger tank.
- Lotus Orb gives you good survivability stats and mana regen to allow you to use Charge of Darkness with little need to ever return to base for more mana. Its active will also make your initiation abilities stronger as spell casters will need to think twice before attacking to nuke you or shut you down.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Barathrum's fun names are Roadrunner and Space-Cow, the latter of which is referenced by Earth Spirit's ally line: "<soundmanager2button-play> You aren't half bad, for a space cow." The line about the spirit breaker being a "Space-Cow" Is likely a reference to Astral Trekker, one of the famously imbalanced DotA heroes, whose model was reworked into the original Spirit Breaker model.
- "Barathrum" means "underworld" in Latin.
- His response <soundmanager2button-play> "Rampage" might be a reference to who used to be his equivalent in Heroes of Newerth (most of the HoN hero abilities changed since the port)
- Charge of Darkness' indicator is the astrological sign of Taurus, the Bull.