Barathrum the Spirit Breaker is a powerful ganker type melee strength Hero that concentrates on taking out single targets, while lacking in larger team fights. His Charge of Darkness lets him charge towards any target available, while knocking off all enemies in his path. If you see the charge coming, it may already be too late. He is picked mostly for his high damage given by his Greater Bash which crushes the life out of his helpless victims. Barathrum can instantly and quickly move to his enemy via Nether Strike and shock them with a soul-bashing blow.
Spirit Breaker plays like most ganker Heroes: he singles out a target and deals as much damage as possible while trying not to get killed himself. Charge of Darkness is the go-to gank initiator. It grants vision of the target, and causes him to move very fast towards them, then stuns and deals damage while also disabling enemies that get in his way. Although issuing a move or attack command while charging will cancel it, some items can be activated while charging (such as Black King Bar), thereby adding to Barathrum's power. If Barathrum is disabled while charging, the charge will be cancelled, meaning he needs to pay attention and avoid being stunned. Players will not see a debuff when being charged, making him more of a surprise. Charge of Darkness can also be used to grant vision of the target. If Barathrum charges an invisible enemy, they will still be stunned and will give shared vision, but will not be revealed. Once hit, he can follow up with his ultimate, Nether Strike, another disable that deals high damage and a knockback after a short delay. His aura, Empowering Haste increases his movement speed dramatically. Greater Bash has a universal 17% chance to stun the target, while also dealing damage based on Spirit Breaker's movement speed. This means any items that increase movement speed and attack speed, such as Mask of Madness or Drum of Endurance synergize perfectly with this ability. With a bit of luck, he can cause considerable damage in a short period of time without using either of his active abilities.
- Black King Bar can be used without interrupting your charge, activate it just when you get close to the enemy to take advantage of its duration during the fight.
- Shadow Blade can also be activated while charging, greatly increasing the surprise factor of his charge and preventing easy charge interruption such as Rubick's Telekinesis. In addition, the Shadow Blade bonus damage will be applied to the first attack from invisibility.
- Use Charge of Darkness to get close, stun your target, and make him vulnerable to your attacks.
- Nether Strike deals major damage to the target enemy and teleports behind them, wherever they go. You can use this to catch blinking or teleporting enemies before they get away.
- Greater Bash deals more damage depending on Barathrum's movement speed. Getting items that increase movement speed, such as Sange & Yasha and Drum of Endurance, will greatly improve your damage.
- Chaining together Charge of Darkness with Nether Strike can deal high amounts of burst damage in a very short amount of time.
- Spirit Breaker has very little teamfight presence due to his specialized abilities, but he can still be useful at neutralizing targets and forcing enemies back.
- Charge of Darkness allows Spirit Breaker to run through units, trees, structures and terrain. It also does not indicate your enemies when targeted, letting you setup ganks.
- When charging enemy heroes in mid game, be 100% sure that they are alone. A lone enemy may wait out in the open while their ally hides in the trees, waiting for you to charge the bait hero, and finally be ganked. Therefore, Observer Wards can greatly reduce uncertainty before charging.
- Although Charge of Darkness is typically used to get into fights, it can also be used to get back out in a pinch; by targeting a creep in a different lane Spirit Breaker can move quickly to avoid death, then cancel the charge when he is out of danger.
- Sange and Yasha is a fair pick on Spirit Breaker, as the bonus movespeed improves the damage of his Greater Bash as well as his general speed, improving his chasing ability even further in conjunction with its maim.
- Despite being classified as an initiator Spirit Breaker is more of a hunter who takes out lone targets or chases down fleeing enemy heroes after a team fight. To actually initiate you will either need an Aghanim's Scepter so that your ultimate has an AOE presence which in turn weakens your carry potential or use Charge of Darkness in a way that would let you bowl through all of the enemy team heroes (such as aiming for the furthest enemy hero while the enemy team is standing close to a line formation).
- Due to the massive speed boost Spirit Breaker receives while charging (288 more than maximum movement speed), he can catch up to a team fight fairly quickly, even from across the map. While preparing for a team fight you might want to stand at the back of your team and let your allies begin to draw out disables and initiation spells from the enemy, then use Charge of Darkness on your target, this will disorient the enemy team as you are likely to be hitting a few of them on the way to your target not to mention that they will be left with no disables to stop you.
- Sometimes it might be a good idea to use Nether Strike on a magic immune hero to interrupt their actions as the greater bash will hit them regardless. Situations where for example your team gets caught in a Black Hole by a magic immunue Enigma you can turn the tide of the fight if you can stop him right at the beginning.
- Because Linken's Sphere triggers on cast, Charge of Darkness can be used to instantly and globally put an enemy's sphere on cooldown.
- While it does not provide True Sight the indicator will follow the invisible unit being charged and the Charge will still hit an enemy that has gone invisible after being charged. This will cause the ability to interrupt channeling spells being performed by invisible heroes such as Sand King's Sandstorm.
- With the use of all of your abilities and some lucky bashes, you can keep a single target stunned for 8 seconds. This is a huge stun duration even late game and allows lucky Barathrums to snowball out of control on lone ganks.
- Barathrum's fun names are Roadrunner and Space-Cow, the latter of which is referenced by Earth Spirit's ally line: "Play You aren't half bad, for a space cow." The line about the spirit breaker being a "Space-Cow" Is likely a reference to a video on the hero by Pyrion Flax
- "Barathrum" means "underworld" in Latin.
- His response "Rampage" might be a reference to who used to be his equivalent in Heroes of Newerth (most of the HoN hero abilities changed since the port)
- Charge of Darkness' indicator is the astrological sign of Taurus, the Bull.
- Fixed Magic Immune units being ignored by the AOE greater bash procs from Charge of Darkness and Aghanim's Scepter Nether Strike.
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Fixed case where he could interrupt his Charge by previously having given an attack order to his target.
- Added teleport start and end animations for Sniper, Spirit Breaker and Weaver.
- Added Idle Injured animations to Spirit Breaker.
- Fixed Greater Bash affecting Magic Immune units when procced via other abilities.
- Fixed a bug allowing charging Razor without moving.
- Empowering Haste visual no longer shows up on creeps.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness immediately failing when cast on Razor's Unstable Current.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness not getting interrupted by ensnares.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.75).
- Fixed base Intelligence.
- [Undocumented] Added injured run animations for Spirit Breaker.
- Fixed case where he could get stuck when using Nether Strike.
- Fixed being unable to target magic immune units with Netherstrike.
- Fixed Netherstrike vs cycloned units.
- Fixed Basher stacking with Spiritbreaker/Slardar/Faceless Void's bashes.
- Changed Empowering Haste passive legacy key to G to avoid stomping H (halt).
- Charge of Darkness and Wrath of Nature no longer alert the target to attack the caster if the target is far away.
- Enabled Silencer and Spirit Breaker in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness picking units that are invisible or in the fow when it tries to find a new target.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness ignoring Hex.
- Fixed Greater Bash working with illusions
- Fixed Greater Bash bonus damage working on Towers, Wards and Denies
- Fixed Charge of Darkness and Greater Bash going through Magic Immunity
- Charge of Darkness:
- Cooldown reduced from 35 to 12
- Cooldown is now triggered when Charge hits its target or is cancelled, instead of when cast
- Empowering Haste can now be cast to improve the Aura by 50% for 6 seconds. 20 second cooldown. After it is used, the aura is 50% weaker while the ability is on cooldown.
- While active, Empowering Haste increases from 6/10/14/18% to 9/15/21/27%
- Greater Bash damage from 10/20/30/40% to 22/28/34/40% of movement speed
- Nether Strike cast range increased from 400/550/700 to 700.
- Aghanim's Scepter range increased from 550/700/850 to 850.
- Nether Strike cooldown rebalanced from 75 to 80/70/60.
- Nether Strike now grants vision over the target.
- Base attack time nerfed from 1.7 to 1.9.
- Greater Bash no longer works while doomed.
- Nether Strike now uses 1.2 Cast Time instead of a 1 sec magic immune delay (can be interrupted as a result).
- Base strength increased by 6.
- Damage increased by 9.
- Charge of Darkness
- No longer gives a buff indicator.
- Speed increased from 425/500/575/650 to 600/650/700/750.
- Empowering Haste
- No longer increases Spirit Breaker's damage.
- Movement bonus aura rescaled from 6/8/10/12% to 6/10/14/18%.
- Greater Bash
- Now deals damage based on your movement speed (10/20/30/40% of speed).
- Duration increased from 0.95/1.15/1.35/1.55 to 1/1.2/1.4/1.6.
- Now affects magic immune units.
- Charge of Darkness
- Cooldown decreased from 40 to 35.
- AoE knockback increased from 250 to 300.
- Nether Strike damage increased from 100/200/300 to 150/250/350.
- Strength growth decreased from 2.8 to 2.4.
- Movement speed decreased from 295 to 290.
- Charge of Darkness stun duration decreased from 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 to 1.2/1.6/2.0/2.4 seconds.
- Nether Strike now hits a Greater Bash based on it's current level and not automatically level 4.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Charge of Darkness indicator AoE increased from 2500 to 3000.
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Base HP regeneration increased from 0.25 to 0.75.
- Greater Bash now gives a 3 second 15% movement speed bonus whenever you land a bash.
- Charge of Darkness reworked. Before, allowed Spirit Breaker to target any enemy unit to charge upto 4 seconds, gaining more speed depending on how long of a charge it was. Speed gain upto 60%, would stun 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 seconds on impact. Would gain vision and truesight of targeted unit during the charge's duration, would become magic immunne during the charge if fulled charged up, and would have the speed boost for 2 seconds after impact. Target would see a debuff icon when Spirit Breaker was in 2500 range of the target, and the charge would stop if the target dies, is decrepified, or cycloned. Cost 75 mana, had 40 second cooldown. Now, Charge of Darkness requires no charging, makes Spirit Breaker move at a flat speed of 425/500/575/650, stun the target on impact for 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 seconds. During the charge, any secondary unit in a 250 AoE of Spirit Breaker will get bashed equal to its current level. While charging, Sprit Breaker gain vision of the unit, If the target dies, will change to anther target, and will stop if stunned. Target gains a debuff icon in a 2500 range.
- Rebalanced all Melee heroes between 100 and 128 range to be 128 range
- Spirit Breaker previously had 100 range.
- Strength gain increased from 2.5 to 2.8.
- Greater Bash no longer messes up the target's command.
- Nether Strike mana cost from 200/250/300 to 125/150/175.
- Nether Strike (Aghanim's version) now Greater Bashes everyone in 250 area around you when you teleport to the primary target.
- Empowering Haste from 4/6/8/10 to 6/8/10/12.
- Aghanim's Scepter Nether Strike now also increases cast range (400/550/700->550/700/850).
- Charge of Darkness speed boost updates at smoother 0.5 intervals and displays a counter above your head.
- Added a button to make it more obvious how to initiate the charge earlier.
- You can still use the old move method though.
- Charge of Darkness stun duration improved from 1/1.5/2/2.5 to 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6.
- Charge of Darkness chargeup movement bonus standardized across all levels (now 15% each second). As before, magic immunity is gained when fully charged.
- Charge of Darkness movement bonus now lasts for 2 seconds after impact with target.
- Fixed Spiritbreaker losing attack focus when you Greater Bash someone.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Nether Strike now makes Spirit Breaker magic immune for the second that he is fading out during its cast.
- Charge of Darkness decreased manacost from 120 to 75.
- Charge of Darkness cast mechanic reworked.
- Improved AOE on Empowering Haste and added 2% more movement speed bonus.
- Added Spiritbreaker to Aghanim's Scepter. Dramatically reduces the cooldown of Nether Strike from 75 to 20 seconds.
- Charge of Darkness' buff indicator on the enemy is now visible to the enemy only when you are 2500 units or closer.
- Has magic immunity when he reaches maximum speed in Charge of Darkness.
- Increased Empowering Haste's AOE.
- Added an allied only visual effect to Charge of Darkness
- Nether Strike no longer depends on Greater Bash
- Minor armor buff (usually 1) to most melee heroes
- Spirit Breaker starting str from 25 to 23. Netherstrike cooldown from 40 to 75 and casting range from 700/800/900 to 400/550/700 (he may need another nerf, but I want to take it one step at a time with him as he is easily made useless)
- Buffed spiritbreaker's str/lvl from 2.0->2.5 and base str by 1
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Improved odds check for Greaterbash and also gave it a 2 second cooldown
- Changed the greaterbash and charge
- Spiritbreaker tweaks to all his abilities
- Spiritbreaker cannot damage ally via empowering haste or greaterbash
- Bull-Rush - snoogens's Guide to Spirit Breaker on PlayDota