16 + 1.7
21 + 2.9
15 + 2.6
Kardel Sharpeye the Sniper is a ranged agility Carry who excels at dealing heavy damage at an incredible range. His third ability, Take Aim, allows him to deal high DPS at a safe distance, and avoiding damage as he is relatively frail. He also excels at harassing enemies due to his second ability, Headshot, which gives him a chance to do extra damage and a brief slow, and his first ability, Shrapnel, which slows and deals damage over time in an area. While he can be a nuisance to lane against, he is also extremely squishy early-game and requires supports to lane effectively. He scales into the late game, dealing a remarkable amount of dps while sitting outside of harm's reach, almost permaslowing heroes with his headshot. Though he is a rather frail hero, his potential in the hands of a good player and team is high.
| Kardel Sharpeye, the Sniper
| Play "Killing is the last resort, true. But the other resorts don't even have a pool."
|| Kardel Sharpeye was born deep in the mountainous valleys of Knollen where, since time immemorial, the folk have survived by hunting the strange, cliff-dwelling steepstalkers above their village—killing them from a distance and collecting their carcasses where they fell. Sharpeye was among the best of these strange folk for whom projectile weapons are but another appendage, and to shoot is as natural as to touch.|
On his day of summoning, when he was to gain full standing in his village, Sharpeye took the ancient test: a single shot from the valley floor to strike a beast down from the cliffs. To miss was to be dishonored. With his entire village standing vigil, Sharpeye took his shot. A steepstalker fell; the crowd cheered. But when the carcass was collected, the village grew silent, for the elders found that the bullet had pierced its glittering central eye then fallen to be clenched in the steepstalker's mandibles. This ominous sign was the literal opening of a dark prophecy, foretelling both greatness and exile for the gunman who made such a shot. Sharpeye the Sniper was thus, by his own skill, condemned to make his way apart from his people—and unwelcome back among them until he has fulfilled the remainder of the prophecy by attaining legendary stature on a field of battle.
|| Gary Schwartz (Responses)
- With level 2 and higher Take Aim, his attack range is higher than the attack range of towers, allowing him to attack them without them being able to attack back.
- Sniper's main advantage is his range - always remain as far away from harm as possible while still dealing damage.
- Shrapnel is an incredibly versatile and useful ability with excellent range and a low mana cost. Among its myriad uses are chasing, farming, anti-juking, creep clearing and impeding chasing enemies or those attempting to close to melee range.
- Carefully consider your laning situation when deciding which of Sniper's abilities to max first. It is common to level up Shrapnel first when playing him in the middle for the lane control it provides, which is particularly effective in the relatively cramped environment of the river. On the other hand, maxing Headshot first in the safe lane can be very potent, especially against a melee solo offlaner like Tidehunter or Elder Titan.
- One level of Take Aim is typically enough for the laning phase since it allows Sniper to outrange every enemy except Lina and Techies. Only invest extra points early if you're taking very heavy ranged harassment.
- Use Assassinate to finish fleeing enemies if and when they manage to get out of range of your regular attacks, or if you're not involved directly in a fight and wish to finish an enemy off without revealing your precise location.
- Since Assassinate grants full vision of an enemy during the cast time it can be used to counter an enemy attempting to juke your allies in the trees or go invisible. The extra couple of seconds of vision can often make the difference.
- Although not mentioned in his recommended items - and for good reason - a Mask of Madness is a fairly common purchase on Sniper as a large and cost effective increase to his DPS and farming potential at the expense of increasing his already significant fragility. Extreme care should be taken with this item choice though, as enemies who can close the gap on you easily like Earth Spirit, or deal large amounts of damage from range like Lion will annihilate you in short order. This goes double for enemy carries with natural mobility such as Faceless Void, Phantom Assassin or Anti-Mage.
- If possible, try to have at least one teammate on a hero who can get into the enemy team's face and keep their attention while you sit at range and deal damage during teamfights. Centaur Warrunner and Bristleback would be good examples. Sniper is a great deal more difficult to play in lineups which lack this component to some degree.
- Considering 25% magic resistance most heroes have, Assassinate deals 266.25/378.75/491.25, if no other sorts of damage reduction or amplifications are affecting the target.
- Divine Rapier is the ultimate weapon for sniper thanks to it's flat 300 damage output. It greatly increases snipers dps and wrecks any hero that doesn't have a good escape mechanism or a blade mail. Recommended last item if sniper died less than one or two times.
- A number of Sniper's lines are either direct quotations or paraphrases of lines used by the Sniper class in Team Fortress 2, a popular class-based shooter also by Valve. Such phrases include:
- Play Thanks for standing still, wanker!
- Play Let's have a go at it!
- Play Jarate!
- Play Professionals have standards.
- Play I'm polite and efficient.
- Play As long as there are two heroes left on the battlefield, someone is gonna want someone dead.
- One of Sniper's lines while bottling a rune is Play "Jarate!", which is a reference to Team Fortress 2 in-game weapon for Sniper class, Jarate.
- Incidentally, his voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voices the Heavy Weapons Guy and Demoman in Team Fortress 2.
- Sniper's line, "Play Inconceivable!" is likely a reference to Vizzini's catchphrase in the film The Princess Bride due to the similarities in both the appearance and voices of the two.
- Sniper's name, Kardel Sharpeye, is a reference to professional Counter-Strike player Kyle "Ksharp" Miller of team 3D, who is regarded for his skillful AWP (Sniper rifle) use.
- Sniper's ultimate, Play Assassinate, also uses the same, though slightly modified gunshot Play sound as Counter-Strike's AWP.
- Sniper's model in Dota 2 is based loosely off of Gary Oldman's portrayal of the real life sniper Lee Harvey Oswald in the 1991 film JFK.
- Sniper's fun name in DotA was Vasily Zaitsev, a highly skilled Russian sniper who was active during World War 2.
- Sniper's line, "Play What a dum-dum!" is a pun on the Expanding bullet, also known as a dum-dum. It is designed to expand on impact in order to limit penetration and create a wound larger in diameter.
- Sniper's line "A few bullet's more" is a reference to the spaghetti western by Sergio Leone named For a Few Dollars More starring Clint Eastwood.
February 04, 2015 Patch
April 29, 2014 Patch
- Fixed Sniper's acquisition range not matching his maximum attack range.
- This affects his ability to auto attack units at his maximum range.
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Shrapnel, Psionic Trap, Whirling Axes (Ranged), Storm Hammer, Gods Strength, Wave of Terror, Venomous Gale, Shadow Word, Fatal Bonds, The Swarm, Time Lapse, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
June 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Headshot's Trueshot component not working with Illusions.
- Updated to higher fidelity Sniper model.
April 19, 2013 Patch
- Added victory animations and more aggressive posing of idle, run and attack when enemy is in range.
March 14, 2013 Patch
November 30, 2012 Patch
September 13, 2012 Patch
July 19, 2012 Patch
- Added teleport start and end animations for Sniper, Spirit Breaker and Weaver.
- Added spawn animations for Sniper and Weaver.
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Headshot bonus proc damage working against Towers and Buildings.
- Fixed Headshot working while Doomed.
November 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Assassinate reveal debuff never disappearing if the target dodges it with a blink.
September 29, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Assassinate ministun interaction with BKB
September 09, 2011 Patch
- Sniper will only say his shrapnel line if he captures any heroes in the radius.
August 07, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Legacy hotkeys on Sniper and Earthshaker
August 02, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the cast time on Assassinate.
- Assassinate keeps units from going invisible.
- Fixing the duration on the Shrapnel's slow. It was hardcoded to 1.5 and now it's 2.0.
July 29, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Shrapnel slow not getting upgraded per level.
April 30, 2011 Patch
- No longer deals damage to buildings.
- Now has 3 charges with a 40 second replenish time, instead of a 15 second cooldown.
- Slow and damage of multiple casts no longer stack.
- Reduced manacost from 120 to 50.
- Increased duration from 9 to 10.
- Fixed Sniper's acquisition range not matching his maximum attack range (Increased from 800 to 950).
- This affects his ability to auto attack units at his maximum range.
- Increased Take Aim attack range bonus from 80/160/240/320 to 100/200/300/400.
- Increased Take Aim attack range bonus from 75/150/225/300 to 80/160/240/320.
- Increased Shrapnel radius from 360 to 400.
- Now provides flying vision in the targeted area for its duration.
- Increased castrange from 1200 to 1800.
- Attacks which proc can no longer miss to evasion or blind effects.
- Increased proc chance from 25%/30%/35%/40% to 40% on each level.
- Rescaled damage from 30/45/60/75 to 15/40/65/90.
- Increased stun duration from 0.01/0.1/0.2/0.2 to 0.25 on each level.
- Increased Assassinate cast range from 1500/2000/2500 to 2000/2500/3000.
- Increased radius from 350 to 360.
- Increased duration from 8 to 9.
- Increased Headshot damage from 30/40/50/60 to 30/45/60/75.
- Increased Take Aim attack range bonus from 65/130/195/260 to 75/150/225/300.
- Increased Headshot damage from 30/30/40/50 to 30/40/50/60.
- Increased Shrapnel radius from 325 to 350.
- Increased Shrapnel damage from 10/20/30/40 to 12/24/36/48.
- Reduced duration from 10 to 8.
- Reduced radius from 450 to 325.
- Increased Shrapnel cast range from 900 to 1200.
- Increased Take Aim attack range bonus from 55/110/165/220 to 65/130/195/260.
- Fires a ball full of shrapnel into the air. which promptly explodes, showering the target area. Enemy units that walk in this area get damaged and slowed. Deals 30% damage to buildings.
- Cast range: 900
- Radius: 450
- Effect delay: 0.8
- Damage per second: 10/20/30/40
- Movement speed slow: 15%/20%/25%/30%
- Slow duration: 2
- Shrapnel duration: 10
- Manacost: 120
- Cooldown: 15
- Notes: The slow gets refreshed on each damage interval.
- Reduced Assassinate cooldown from 30/20/10 to 20/15/10.
- Reduced Scattershot damage per pellet from 10-35 to 20-35.
- Increased agility gain from 2.4 to 2.9.
- Headshot can now proc on allied units again.
- Headshot can no longer proc on allied units.
- Increased Assassinate cooldown from 30/15/5 to 30/20/10.
- Reduced base agility from 28 to 21.
- Reduced Headshot stun duration from 0.01/0.1/0.2/0.25 to 0.01/0.1/0.2/0.2.
- Increased Scattershot manacost from 75/90/105/120 to 120 on each level.
- Increased base agility and gain from 26 + 1.9 to 28 + 2.4.
- Reduced damage per pellet from 14-40 to 10-35.
- Reduced attack projectile speed from instant to 3000 (instant was causing visual glitches).
- Restored the reworked Scattershot
- Reduced damage per pellet from 15-60 to 14-40.
- Reverted the Scattershot rework from the last patch (temporarily).
- Reduced movement speed from 300 to 290.
- Reduced agility gain from 2.7 to 1.9.
- Increased intelligence gain from 1.7 to 2.6.
- Increased attack projectile speed from 900 to instant.
- Reduced attack point from 0.7 to 0.17.
- Reworked Scattershot
- Old Scattershot:
- Fires an exploding shot, dealing moderate area of effect damage.
- Cast range: 700
- Radius: 250
- Damage: 100/150/200/250
- Manacost: 75/85/95/105
- Cooldown: 6
- Notes: Destroys trees in its area. Applies a mini-stun on all enemy units within the area.
- New Scattershot:
- Fires a ball full of shrapnel into the air, which promply explodes, showering the target area in explosive pellets, each doing a random amount of damage.
- Cast range: 900
- Radius: 350
- Number of pellets: 8/12/16/20
- Damage per pellet: 15-60 (physical)
- Manacost: 75/90/105/120
- Cooldown: 13
- Notes: The effect is delayed by 0.8 seconds. Neither destroys trees, nor mini-stuns. Damages buildings as well.
- This ability got replaced by Shrapnel in the 6.60 gameplay patch.
- Upon cast, a shot is launched straight into the air. After an unknown second delay, it detonates, releasing the pellets towards the target area.
- The pellets travel at a speed of unknown towards the targeted area. Each pellet lands at a random location within the targeted area, dealing damage around them.
- The pellets deal piercing damage, which deals 150% to creeps, 50% to heroes, and 35% to buildings.
- Can deal up to 80-140/120-210/160-280/200/350 damage to heroes (before reductions).
- Can deal up to 240-420/360-630/480-840/600-1050 damage no most creeps (before reductions).
- Can deal up to 56-98/84-147/112-196/140-245 damage to buildings (before reductions).
- This ability got reworked into the following Scattershot in the 6.00 gameplay patch, restored in the 6.01, and then replaced again in the 6.02 gameplay patch.
- Instantly deals damage within the area upon cast.
- Stuns enemy units for 0.01 seconds within the area upon cast.