Kardel Sharpeye the Sniper is a ranged agility hard carry who excels at dealing heavy damage at an incredible range. His third ability, Take Aim, allows him to deal high DPS at a safe distance, and avoiding damage as he is relatively frail. He also excels at harassing enemies due to his second ability, Headshot, which gives him a chance to do extra damage and mini-stun, and his first ability, Shrapnel, which slows and deals damage over time in an area. While he can be a nuisance to lane against, he is also extremely squishy early-game and requires supports to lane effectively. He scales extremely hard into the late game, dealing a remarkable amount of dps while sitting outside of harm's reach, almost permastunning heroes with his headshot. Though he is a rather frail hero, his potential in the hands of a good player and team is high.
 Recommended items
- A number of Sniper's lines are either direct quotations or paraphrases of lines used by the Sniper class in Team Fortress 2, a popular class-based shooter also by Valve. Such phrases include: "Thanks for standing still, wanker!", "Let's have a go at it", "Professionals have standards", "I am polite and efficient", and "As long as there's two heroes on the battlefield, someone is gonna want someone dead".
- Sniper's name in DotA, Kardel Sharpeye, is a reference to professional Counter-Strike player Kyle "Ksharp" Miller of team 3D, who is regarded for his skillful AWP (Sniper rifle) use.
- Sniper's fun name in DotA was Vassili Zacjev/Zaitsev, a highly skilled Russian sniper who was active during World War 2.
- Sniper's line "What a dum-dum!" is a pun on the dum-dum, or expanding bullet. It is designed to expand on impact in order to limit penetration and create a wound larger in diameter.
- Sniper's eye wear was added to Team Fortress 2 on the 18th August 2011 as Sniper's Snipin' Glass.
- Sniper's ultimate, Assassinate, has the same sound when firing the shot as Counter Strike's famous AWP.
 Update history
- Fixed Backswing behavior for: Soul Rip, Tombstone, Cold Feet, Ice Vortex, Chilling Touch, Enfeeble, Shallow Grave, Thunder Strike, Kinetic Field, Static Storm, Malefice, Midnight Pulse, Howl, Stifling Dagger, Static Link, Maledict, Overpower and Ice Shards.
- Fixed Headshot's Trueshot component not working with Illusions.
- Updated to higher fidelity Sniper model.
- Added victory animations and more aggressive posing of idle, run and attack when enemy is in range.
- Fixed Headshot not working on units like Spirit Bear, Warlock's Golem, etc.
- Fixed Shrapnel doing slightly less damage than intended to towers.
- Fixed Headshot's physical damage bonus being blocked by Magic Immunity.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- [Undocumented] Broken down a number of existing hero models into multiple parts Death Prophet, Enchantress, Huskar, Silencer, Sniper, Storm Spirit, Venomancer and Weaver.
- Added teleport start and end animations for Sniper, Spirit Breaker and Weaver.
- Added spawn animations for Sniper and Weaver.
- Fixed Headshot bonus proc damage working against Towers and Buildings.
- Fixed Headshot working while Doomed.
- Fixed Assassinate reveal debuff never disappearing if the target dodges it with a blink.
- Fixed Assassinate ministun interaction with BKB
- Sniper will only say his shrapnel line if he captures any heroes in the radius.
- Fixed Legacy hotkeys on Sniper and Earthshaker
- Fixed the cast time on Assassinate.
- Assassinate keeps units from going invisible.
- Fixing the duration on the Shrapnel's slow. It was hardcoded to 1.5 and now it's 2.0.
- Fixed Shrapnel slow not getting upgraded per level.
- New Hero: Sniper
 Balance changelog
- Take Aim attack range bonus increased from 80/160/240/320 to 100/200/300/400.
- Take Aim attack range bonus increased from 75/150/225/300 to 80/160/240/320.
- Shrapnel AoE increased from 360 to 400.
- Now provides vision in the targeted area.
- Cast range increased from 1200 to 1800.
- Procs cannot be evaded (the entire attack gets through).
- Chance rebalanced from 25/30/35/40% to 40%.
- Damage rebalanced from 30/45/60/75 to 15/40/65/90.
- Ministun duration increased from 0.01/0.1/0.2/0.2 to 0.25.
- Assassinate cast range increased from 1500/2000/2500 to 2000/2500/3000.
- AoE increased from 350 to 360.
- Duration increased from 8 to 9.
- Headshot damage increased from 30/40/50/60 to 30/45/60/75.
- Take Aim range bonus increased from 65/130/195/260 to 75/150/225/300.
- Headshot damage increased from 30/30/40/50 to 30/40/50/60.
- Shrapnel AoE increased from 325 to 350.
- Shrapnel damage increased from 10/20/30/40 to 12/24/36/48.
- Assassinate kills now give XP even if you are outside of range.
- Night vision increased from 800 to 1000.
- Duration decreased from 10 to 8 seconds.
- AoE decreased from 450 to 325.
- Shrapnel cast range increased by 300.
- Increased Take Aim range from 55/110/165/220 to 65/130/195/260.
- Decreased Assassinate cooldown from 30/20/10 to 20/15/10 seconds.
- Scattershot gives vision on the area it is cast on.
- Improved Scattershot's damage range from 10-35 to 20-35.
 Replaced Abilties
 See also