Kardel Sharpeye the Sniper is a ranged agility Carry who excels at dealing heavy damage at an incredible range. His third ability, Take Aim, allows him to deal high DPS at a safe distance, and avoiding damage as he is relatively frail. He also excels at harassing enemies due to his second ability, Headshot, which gives him a chance to do extra damage and a brief slow, and his first ability, Shrapnel, which slows and deals damage over time in an area. While he can be a nuisance to lane against, he is also extremely squishy early-game and requires supports to lane effectively. He scales into the late game, dealing a remarkable amount of DPS while sitting outside of harm's reach, almost permaslowing heroes with his headshot. Though he is a rather frail hero, his potential in the hands of a good player and team is high.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Consumes a charge to launch a ball of shrapnel that showers the target area in explosive pellets. Enemies are subject to damage and slowed movement. Reveals the targeted area. Shrapnel charges restore every 55 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 1800
Effect Radius: 450
Effect Delay: 1.2
Damage per Second: 15/35/55/75
Move Speed Slow: 15%/20%/25%/30%
Shrapnel Duration: 10
Number of Charges: 3
Charge Replenish Time: 55
Shrapnel Charge Counter: Undispellable.
Shrapnel Slow: Undispellable.
|Kardel's modular rifle also fires incendiary rounds, useful for assaulting entrenched locations.|
- Shrapnel starts dealing damage, slowing and providing vision after the effect delay.
- Provides 450 radius flying vision at the targeted area.
- The damage and the slow are both provided by an aura, its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Since multiple instances of the same aura do not stack, multiple overlapping instances of Shrapnel do not stack either.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately as the debuff is placed, resulting in up to 11 possible damage instances.
- Deals a total of 165/385/605/825 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- Does not affect buildings.
|Sniper increases his accuracy, giving him a chance to deal extra damage and briefly stop the movements of his enemies.|
|Proc Chance: 40%|
Move Speed Slow: 100%
Attack Speed Slow: 100
Slow Duration: 0.5
Headshot Slow: Dispellable with any dispel.
|Taking potshots at steepstalkers in his childhood has been thoroughly refined into perfect leads on enemy combatants.|
- The damage can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link. However, it cannot be amplified with e.g. Empower or the Double Damage Rune.
- Increases Sniper's attack damage output on average by 6/16/26/36.
- Headshot uses pseudo-random distribution.
|Extends the attack range of Sniper's rifle.|
|Attack Range Bonus: 100/200/300/400|
|Kardel always takes it upon himself to stay as far from harm as he can while still performing his role - taking perfect aim.|
- Increases Sniper's total attack range to 650/750/850/950.
|Sniper locks onto a target enemy unit and, after 2 seconds, fires a devastating shot that deals damage at long range, and mini-stuns the target.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 2000/2500/3000
Stunned: Dispellable with strong dispels.
|In order to fulfill the prophecy and return to his home town, Kardel must make another shot as perfect as the one on the day of his ancient test.|
- The projectile travels at a speed of 2500 and can be disjointed.
- Assassinate places a debuff on the target as soon as Sniper begins casting.
- The debuff lasts 4 seconds, or until the projectile lands, or the cast gets canceled.
- The debuff grants shared vision with the targeted unit. Does not provide any vision when targeting neutral creeps.
- The debuff grants True Sight over the target. This means that Assassinate cannot be canceled or be disjointed with invisibility.
- However, since units under the effect of Shadow Dance and Smoke of Deceit are immune to True Sight, they cancel the cast or disjoint the projectile.
- The debuff is visible to everyone.
- The cast is not canceled when the target turns invulnerable or hidden during the cast time.
- Places a crosshair on the target, which is visible to allies only. The initial sound during the cast time is audible by Sniper only.
- The mini-stun lasts for 0.01 seconds.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Iron Branch improves Sniper's early stats, and can be built into a Magic Wand later on.
- Slippers of Agility helps with Sniper's naturally low base damage, allowing him to last hit better.
- Faerie Fire helps Sniper score last hits.
- Tango helps Sniper stay in lane.
- Healing Salve not only rejuvenates Sniper, using it at the last second can save also save him from a gank.
- Infused Raindrop helps Sniper resist harassment and gankers.
- Magic Wand is useful in emergencies, and gives Sniper some much needed survivability.
- Wraith Band boosts Sniper's early stats, keeping him viable in his vulnerably early game stage. It can be sold later for gold.
- Wind Lace is usually picked up by supports, but can be useful on Sniper to help offset his low mobility.
- Power Treads gives Sniper the ability to switch between Strength for survivability, Agility for damage, and even Intelligence for extra mana to use a clutch Assassinate.
- Phase Boots gives Sniper damage in exchange for attack speed, and works well with later items like Desolator or Daedalus.
- Drum of Endurance can be useful to give Sniper a little more movement speed, and an overall improvement in stats.
- Desolator greatly improves Sniper's mid game damage, and its debuff can be safely applied from long range on multiple enemies.
- Manta Style gives Sniper an important escape mechanism, and improves his movement speed as well as his sieging ability.
- Dragon Lance increases Sniper's attack range to a maximum of 1090, allowing him to shoot down opponents before they can close the gap.
- Mask of Madness greatly increases Sniper's attack speed, and provides a moderate boost to his movement speed. The lifesteal is good for farming, and can save Sniper in a head-to-head fight.
- Daedalus is what gives Sniper his massive damage in the late game, and lets him tear through softer enemies in just a few shots.
- Maelstrom is excellent against groups of enemies, or heroes with numerous summoned units like Phantom Lancer. Combined with more attack speed items, the lightning damage will trigger continuously.
- Shadow Blade is often picked up by beginners, as it gives Sniper a much needed escape mechanism, as well as enabling him to position himself in team engagements. It also gives a damage boost to Sniper's first attack when cloaked.
- Silver Edge is a decent upgrade to Shadow Blade, and can be useful on more offense oriented Snipers.
- Mjollnir is a natural progression from Maelstrom, but is sometimes skipped in favor of other direct damage boosting items. Maelstrom and Mjollnir semi-stack with other attack modifiers like Desolator. The attack modifier hits every time except when Maelstrom/Mjollnir proc their effect.
- Monkey King Bar grants a great increase in damage, attack speed, and is usually necessary to deal with evasion from heroes like Phantom Assassin. However, it provides no defensive boosts, and can be quite expensive.
- Butterfly is a costly but useful item if Sniper is struggling against right-click heroes. The attack speed and damage boosts Sniper's combat capabilities a little, while the evasion and armor give him considerably more survivability against opposing carries.
- Helm of the Dominator's lifesteal functions in the same way as Mask of Madness, but also provides more armor in exchange for attack speed. Sniper may also use the active ability to enchant a creep, and help him stack camps or disable opponents.
- Sange and Yasha can be an alternative to Manta Style if the player believes Sniper needs more health. It also provides 6% more movement speed and Greater Maim to help in chasing or kiting enemies.
- Eye of Skadi sacrifices damage for a great boost to Sniper's survivability, as well as adding a slow debuff that helps keep enemies within Sniper's range.
- Moon Shard is a luxury item that can be picked up to ensure Sniper's dominance in a winning game.
- Divine Rapier is the ultimate item, sometimes purchased out of desperation. Combined with high attack speed and/or criticals, Sniper can demolish enemies in two or three shots. This can be very risky, as Sniper dies easily and may end up giving Divine Rapier to the enemy team.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A number of Sniper's lines are either direct quotations or paraphrases of lines used by the Sniper class in Team Fortress 2, a popular class-based shooter also by Valve. Such phrases include:
- One of Sniper's lines while bottling a rune is Play "Jarate!", which is a reference to Team Fortress 2 in-game weapon for Sniper class, Jarate.
- One of Sniper's lines while casting his ultimate is Play "Boom headshot!", which is a reference to the Pure Pwnage mockumentary series.
- Incidentally, his voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voices the Heavy Weapons Guy and Demoman in Team Fortress 2.
- Sniper's line, "Play Inconceivable!" is likely a reference to Vizzini's catchphrase in the film The Princess Bride due to the similarities in both the appearance and voices of the two.
- Sniper's name, Kardel Sharpeye, is a reference to professional Counter-Strike player Kyle "Ksharp" Miller of team 3D, who is regarded for his skillful AWP (Sniper rifle) use.
- Sniper's model in Dota 2 is based loosely off of Gary Oldman's portrayal of the real life sniper Lee Harvey Oswald in the 1991 film JFK.
- Sniper's fun name in DotA was Vasily Zaitsev, a highly skilled Russian sniper who was active during World War 2.
- Sniper's line, "Play What a dum-dum!" is a pun on the Expanding bullet, also known as a dum-dum. It is designed to expand on impact in order to limit penetration and create a wound larger in diameter.
- Sniper's line "Play Oh, a few bullet's more!" is a reference to the spaghetti western by Sergio Leone named For a Few Dollars More starring Clint Eastwood.