Kardel Sharpeye the Sniper is a ranged agility Carry who excels at dealing heavy damage at an incredible range. His third ability, Take Aim, allows him to deal high DPS at a safe distance, and avoiding damage as he is relatively frail. He also excels at harassing enemies due to his second ability, Headshot, which gives him a chance to do extra damage and a brief slow, and his first ability, Shrapnel, which slows and deals damage over time in an area. While he can be a nuisance to lane against, he is also extremely squishy early-game and requires supports to lane effectively. He scales into the late game, dealing a remarkable amount of dps while sitting outside of harm's reach, almost permaslowing heroes with his headshot. Though he is a rather frail hero, his potential in the hands of a good player and team is high.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
|Consumes a charge to launch a ball of shrapnel that showers the target area in explosive pellets. Enemies are subject to damage and slowed movement. Reveals the targeted area. Shrapnel charges restore every 55 seconds.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 1800
Effect Radius: 450
Effect Delay: 1.2
Damage per Second: 15/30/45/60
Move Speed Slow: 15%/20%/25%/30%
Shrapnel Duration: 10
Number of Charges: 3
Charge Replenish Time: 55
- Shrapnel starts dealing damage, slowing and providing vision after the effect delay.
- Provides 450 radius flying vision at the targeted area.
- The damage and the slow are both provided by an aura, its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Since multiple instances of the same aura do not stack, multiple overlapping instances of Shrapnel do not stack either.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately as the debuff is placed, resulting in up to 11 possible damage instances.
- Deals a total of 165/330/495/660 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- Does not affect buildings.
|Sniper increases his accuracy, giving him a chance to deal extra damage and briefly stop the movements of his enemies.|
|Proc Chance: 40%|
Move Speed Slow: 100%
Attack Speed Slow: 100
Slow Duration: 0.5
- The damage can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link. However, it cannot be amplified with e.g. Empower or the Double Damage Rune.
- Increases Sniper's attack damage output on average by 6/16/26/36.
- Headshot uses pseudo-random distribution.
|Extends the attack range of Sniper's rifle.|
|Attack Range Bonus: 100/200/300/400
|Sniper locks onto a target enemy unit and, after 2 seconds, fires a devastating shot that deals damage at long range, and mini-stuns the target.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 2000/2500/3000
- The projectile travels at a speed of 2500 and can be disjointed.
- Assassinate places a debuff on the target as soon as Sniper begins casting. The debuff lasts 4 seconds, or until the projectile lands, or the cast gets canceled.
- The debuff grants shared vision with the targeted unit. Does not provide any vision when targeting neutral creeps.
- The debuff grants True Sight over the target. This means that Assassinate cannot be canceled by going, or be disjointed with invisibility.
- However, since units under the effect of Shadow Dance and Smoke of Deceit are immune to True Sight, they cancel the cast or disjoint the projectile.
- The debuff is visible to everyone.
- The cast is not canceled when the target turns invulnerable or hidden during the cast time.
- Places a crosshair on the target, which is visible to allies only. The initial sound during the cast time is audible by Sniper only.
- The mini-stun lasts for 0.01 seconds.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Picking up Slippers of Agility early can help to address Sniper's very low base damage, assisting him in farming creeps.
- A Ring of Aquila can be made with Wraith Band and Ring of Basilius which provides some bit of health and mana which Sniper lacks in the early game with an additional damage boost plus the ability to push towers.
- Magic Wand is useful in emergencies due to Sniper's lack of health. The use of stick charges gives him better survivability.
- Mask of Madness is a strong item on sniper to increase his headshot proc chance as well as allow him to farm quickly, but can potentially backfire. With the increased attack speed, headshot and shrapnel make it impossible for enemies to escape your onslaught, but be wary of getting jumped on.
- A common item for Sniper is Shadow Blade. This gives Sniper a much needed escape mechanism as well as enabling him to position himself in team engagements, allowing him to deal tons of damage without being caught in the fight.
- Butterfly is one of the best high end items he can pick up if he is struggling against right-click heroes. The attack speed and damage boosts Sniper's combat capabilities a little, while the evasion and armour give him considerably more survivability against opposing carries.
- Maelstrom can be bought on Sniper for additional damage dealing capability. When upgraded into Mjollnir, the attack rate of Sniper is enhanced significantly, giving him more chances to proc both the Chain Lighting effect and his Headshot passive. A fact about orb effects is while most do not stack, Maelstrom and Mjollnir semi-stack with other orb effects like Desolator. The constant orb effect hits every time except when Maelstrom/Mjollnir proc their effect.
- Manta Style is an item commonly picked up on many carries. It gives a lot of additional survivability, something that Sniper lacks, as well as attack speed. Besides giving +10 strength and +10% movespeed, it gives Sniper the ability to create confusing illusions on demand.
- Daedalus adds even more damage to his auto attacks. Due to Sniper most relying on his attack and thus usually building damage items, it greatly increases his damage per second.
Counters[edit | edit source]
- Broodmother's webs allow her and her younglings to escape Sniper's crosshairs if there's no True Sight, and they can easily surround him at close range without much issue if he's too close to the webs as well.
- Centaur Warrunner's great bulk and Return passive ability make it difficult for Sniper to attack him without suffering heavy damage in return. He can also allow his team to easily close in on Sniper with Stampede.
- Slark can easily close the gap to Sniper, pin him to the spot, and burst him down. Additionally, Shadow Dance allows him to dodge Assassinate, while regenerating his health and granting bonus movement speed to either escape or finish Sniper off.
- Sniper's frailty means that Blade Mail serves as an effective deterrent, as he will lose health more quickly to the Blade Mail bearer than they will to his attacks.
- Blink Dagger allows bulkier heroes like Axe or Dragon Knight to close the distance between themselves and Sniper.
- Smoke of Deceit cancels his ultimate and wastes cooldown and mana if used correctly.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Sniper's main advantage is his range - always remain as far away from harm as possible while still dealing damage.
- Shrapnel is an incredibly versatile and useful ability with excellent range and a low mana cost. Among its myriad uses are chasing, farming, anti-juking, creep clearing and impeding chasing enemies or those attempting to close to melee range.
- Carefully consider your laning situation when deciding which of Sniper's abilities to max first. It is common to level up Shrapnel first when playing him in the middle for the lane control it provides, which is particularly effective in the relatively cramped environment of the river. On the other hand, maxing Headshot first in the safe lane can be very potent, especially against a melee solo offlaner like Tidehunter or Elder Titan.
- One level of Take Aim is typically enough for the laning phase since it allows Sniper to outrange every enemy except Lina and Techies. Only invest extra points early if you are taking very heavy ranged harassment.
- Use Assassinate to finish fleeing enemies if and when they manage to get out of range of your regular attacks, or if you are not involved directly in a fight and wish to finish an enemy off without revealing your precise location.
- Since Assassinate grants full vision of an enemy during the cast time it can be used to counter an enemy attempting to juke your allies in the trees or go invisible. The extra couple of seconds of vision can often make the difference.
- Although not mentioned in his recommended items - and for good reason - a Mask of Madness is a fairly common purchase on Sniper as a large and cost effective increase to his DPS and farming potential at the expense of increasing his already significant fragility. Extreme care should be taken with this item choice though, as enemies who can close the gap on you easily like Earth Spirit, or deal large amounts of damage from range like Lion can annihilate you in short order. This goes double for enemy carries with natural mobility such as Faceless Void, Phantom Assassin or Anti-Mage.
- If possible, try to have at least one teammate on a hero who can get into the enemy team's face and keep their attention while you sit at range and deal damage during teamfights. Centaur Warrunner and Bristleback would be good examples. Sniper is a great deal more difficult to play in lineups which lack this component to some degree.
- Considering 25% magic resistance most heroes have, Assassinate deals 240/363.75/487.5, if no other sorts of damage reduction or amplifications are affecting the target.
- Divine Rapier is a very situational item for Sniper. While it greatly increases Sniper's damage per second and can kill frail Heroes or those with no escape mechanism, Sniper himself is frail and is subject to nuke/disable combos. Always try to keep distance and have an escape mechanism ready, such as Shadow Blade or Blink Dagger if you plan on buying this item.
- Dragon Lance increases Sniper's attack range to a maximum of 1080, allowing him to out-range the spells of most enemies while also granting HP and Attack Speed that Sniper needs.
- Instead of Manta Style, Sange and Yasha may be considered. Although it provide less Agility compared to Manta, but it provides 6% more movement speed and Greater Maim to help in chasing or kiting enemies.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A number of Sniper's lines are either direct quotations or paraphrases of lines used by the Sniper class in Team Fortress 2, a popular class-based shooter also by Valve. Such phrases include:
- One of Sniper's lines while bottling a rune is Play "Jarate!", which is a reference to Team Fortress 2 in-game weapon for Sniper class, Jarate.
- One of Sniper's lines while casting his ultimate is Play "Boom headshot!", which is a reference to the Pure Pwnage mockumentary series.
- Incidentally, his voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voices the Heavy Weapons Guy and Demoman in Team Fortress 2.
- Sniper's line, "Play Inconceivable!" is likely a reference to Vizzini's catchphrase in the film The Princess Bride due to the similarities in both the appearance and voices of the two.
- Sniper's name, Kardel Sharpeye, is a reference to professional Counter-Strike player Kyle "Ksharp" Miller of team 3D, who is regarded for his skillful AWP (Sniper rifle) use.
- Sniper's model in Dota 2 is based loosely off of Gary Oldman's portrayal of the real life sniper Lee Harvey Oswald in the 1991 film JFK.
- Sniper's fun name in DotA was Vasily Zaitsev, a highly skilled Russian sniper who was active during World War 2.
- Sniper's line, "Play What a dum-dum!" is a pun on the Expanding bullet, also known as a dum-dum. It is designed to expand on impact in order to limit penetration and create a wound larger in diameter.
- Sniper's line "A few bullet's more" is a reference to the spaghetti western by Sergio Leone named For a Few Dollars More starring Clint Eastwood.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Balance changelog[edit | edit source]
Replaced abilties[edit | edit source]
|Fires a ball of shrapnel that showers the target area in explosive pellets. Enemies are subject to damage and slowed movement. Reveals the targeted area.|
|Cast Range: 1800|
Effect Radius: 450
Effect Delay: 0.8
Damage per Second: 12/24/36/48
Move Speed Slow: 15%/20%/25%/30%
Slow Duration: 2
Shrapnel Duration: 9
- Provides 450 radius flying vision at the targeted area. Unlike the damage and slow, the vision is instantly applied after cast.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting off immediately after the effect delay. The slow debuff is refreshed in the same intervals.
- Deals 33% of its damage to buildings (4/8/12/16 damage per second).
- Deals a total of 120/240/360/480 (40/80/120/160 to buildings) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
|Scattershot (6.00, 6.02-6.60)|
|Fire a ball full of shrapnel into the air, which promptly explodes, showering the target area in explosive pellets, each doing a random amount of damage within the area.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 900
Effect Radius: 350
Pellet Radius: ?
Effect Delay: ?
Number of Pellets: 8/12/16/20
Damage per Pellet: 20-35
- This ability got replaced by Shrapnel in the 6.60 gameplay patch.
- Upon cast, a shot is launched straight into the air. After an unknown second delay, it detonates, releasing the pellets towards the target area.
- The pellets travel at a speed of unknown towards the targeted area. Each pellet lands at a random location within the targeted area, dealing damage around them.
- The pellets deal piercing damage, which deals 150% to creeps, 50% to heroes, and 35% to buildings.
|Scattershot (pre 6.00, 6.01)|
|Fires an exploding shot, dealing moderate area of effect damage.|
|Cast Animation: +|
Cast Range: 700
- This ability got reworked into the following Scattershot in the 6.00 gameplay patch, restored in the 6.01, and then replaced again in the 6.02 gameplay patch.
- Instantly deals damage within the area upon cast.
- Stuns enemy units for 0.01 seconds within the area upon cast.
- Does not affect buildings.