21 + 1.8
21 + 1.5
16 + 1.9
Slark the Nightcrawler is a melee agility hero that utilises his abilities to spring onto enemy heroes and slip out unhindered. He is a very mobile ganker, but remains attribute-wise below most other carries unless he is able to steal away attributes with his abilities. Once he does, though, only a few heroes can hope to be as fearsome as the Nightcrawler - extremely mobile to the point of ever-presence; his strikes only hitting harder and faster.
Slark can quickly leap forward onto enemies with Pounce to leash them and bind them from escaping. His Dark Pact releases a delayed purge that breaks even the most powerful disables. This gives him one of the most flexible abilities to start and end fights in the game. He is also capable of stealing attributes by attacking his victim to boost his own attack damage temporarily with Essence Shift which can rapidly shift engagements in his favor, even when merely performing hit-and-run maneuvers. Slark's ultimate, Shadow Dance, allows him to remain unseen even while attacking for a short duration and allows him to move quicker when not under the watch of enemy eyes to strike in and out of enemy ranks unhindered.
| Slark, the Nightcrawler
| Play "If I'd known I'd end up here, I'd have stayed in Dark Reef Prison."
|| Little known to the inhabitants of the dry world, Dark Reef is a sunken prison where the worst of the sea-breed are sent for crimes against their fellows. It is a razor barbed warren full of murderous slithereen, treacherous Deep Ones, and sociopathic meranths. In this dim labyrinth, patrolled by eels and guarded by enormous anemones, only the vicious survive. Pitched into Dark Reef for crimes unknown, Slark spent half a lifetime without kin or kindness, trusting no one, surviving through a combination of stealth and ruthlessness, keeping his thoughts and his plans to himself. When the infamous Dark Reef Dozen plotted their ill-fated breakout, they kept their plans a perfect secret, murdering anyone who could have put the pieces together--but somehow Slark discovered their scheme and made a place for himself in it. Ten of the Dozen died in the escape attempt, and two were captured, hauled back to Dark Reef, then executed for the entertainment of their fellow inmates. But Slark, the unsung thirteenth, used the commotion as cover and slipped away, never to be caught. Now a furtive resident of the carnivorous mangrove scrub that grips the southern reach of Shadeshore, Slark remains the only successful escapee from Dark Reef.
|| Tom Chantler (Responses)
- Deals 7.5/15/22.5/30 damage within 325 radius in 0.1 second intervals, starting 1.5 seconds after cast.
- Slark himself takes 3.75/7.5/11.25/15 damage from Dark Pact in the same intervals.
- Applies a strong dispel on Slark in the same intervals, right after each of its damage instances.
- The self afflicted damage can be reduced or amplified, but can never kill Slark.
- The visual effects and sounds during the 1.5 seconds delay is only visible and audible to allies.
- The visual effect of the damaging pulses are visible even when Slark is invisible.
- Dark Pact ends 2.5 seconds after cast, but ends instantly when Slark dies.
- Slark leaps forward at a speed of 933.33.
- Always jumps for the full distance, unless an enemy hero gets within 95 radius of Slark during the jump.
- Can latch on enemy heroes up to 795 range away (700 max distance + 95 latch radius).
- Slark can turn, cast spells and use items during Pounce, but cannot attack.
- When latching on a unit, Slark is automatically ordered to attack the target.
- The more the leash gets stretched, the slower the affected unit can walk away from the center, eventually coming to a full stop. It directly affects the target's movement speed.
- When the leash expires while a position changing effect is ongoing, it will instantly cancel the position changing effect.
- This goes for the following spells: Adaptive Strike, Blinding Light, Boulder Smash, Charge of Darkness, Deafening Blast, Flamebreak, Force Staff, Geomagnetic Grip, Greater Bash, Gust, Hookshot, Power Cogs, Primal Roar, Rolling Boulder, Tether, Timber Chain, Vacuum and Walrus Punch
- Pounce destroys trees within 100 radius around Slark upon landing.
- Essence Shift steals the stats before the attack damage is applied.
- Successive attacks do not refresh the duration of the stolen/lost spells. Each attack's stats has their own duration.
- The status buff and debuff icon show the number of current stacks and show the duration of the last stack.
- On each attack, the attacked hero lose 19 maximum health, 0.03 health regen, 0.14 armor, 1 attack speed, 13 maximum mana, 0.04 mana regen and 1 attack damage.
- The current health and mana percentages stay equal. Does not directly reduce current health and mana.
- Essence Shift can not reduce any stats below 1.
- Slark continues to gain agility, even when the attacked hero has no more stats left to steal.
- When Slark dies, he loses all the stolen stats, but the affected enemies don't get theirs back.
- When the affected enemies die, they gain their stats back, but Slark does not lose the stolen stats.
- Getting a Stout Shield early in the game allows Slark to sustain more harassment from enemy and stay in lane longer. It is later built into a Poor Man's Shield from side-lane.
- Healing Salve and Tangoes can help Slark to regenerate his health without the need of returning to base, losing his needed farming.
- Two Iron Branches provide good stats and can be built into a Magic Wand.
- Magic Stick can be crucial in many situations, giving a burst of much-needed mana or health.
- Boots of Speed is a must-have for any hero, allowing Slark to gank easier early-game.
- Poor Man's Shield gives Slark agility points, therefore increasing his last-hitting and denying in lane. It also saves Slark from harassment in lane.
- An Orb of Venom is a cheap but powerful item to slow enemies and inflict damage overtime, giving an advantage to Slark's early ganks.
- Power Treads is a boot of choice for Slark. It gives him attack speed and a boost to attributes that can be switched to survive teamfights.
- Magic Wand is an upgrade to Magic Stick. Gives nice stats, and save more space for other items
- Sange and Yasha works great in conjunction with Slark's skill set allowing you to easily chase and attack enemy heroes due to the passive maim. In addition to the slow, Sange and Yasha also provides additional move speed, attack speed, and a much needed strength and agility boost to your attributes.
- Town Portal Scroll should always be carried at all times. It can either allow Slark to arrive at teamfights faster, or help him escape in a pinch.
- Drum of Endurance provides Slark with attributes that he needs while giving you extra Movement speed and Attack speed to help close the distance on foes. A must to give him the early game advantage he needs to snowball.
- Black King Bar's spell immunity offers great survivability in team fights.
- Butterfly offers bonus attack speed, armor, damage, and Agility, and its evasion gives you more survivability. It can be activated to provide a boost of movement speed to make chasing or escaping much easier.
- Vladmir's Offering can be built if you want the benefit of the auras and use a different Unique Attack Modifier but still have lifesteal.
- Eye of Skadi grants Slark both incredible survivability and killing power. Its wealth of attributes provide Slark HP, mana, armor, damage, and attack speed - all superb boosts to Slark's lackluster base attributes. Not to mention, its ever-useful Unique Attack Modifier which slows enemies on-hit greatly helps Slark to stick to his targets.
- Shadow Blade provides a good source of attack speed and additional invisibility to improve your ability to gank and escape.
- Silver Edge is a natural extension of Shadow Blade and can improve Slark's ganking capability even further with its Break and damage reduction.
- Abyssal Blade is an extremely useful item on Slark that combines very well with Slark's high agility and attack speed, which can constantly proc bashes. It also provides him with extra attack damage and a strong active ability.
- Moon Shard hugely increases Slark's attack speed, allowing him to steal large amounts of attributes in a short amount of time. As the game progresses, it can be consumed to free a slot and provide a permanent attack speed bonus.
- Slark is a great hero to match enemies with strong single target disables or damage skills such as Shadow Shaman, Crystal Maiden, Lina, or strong carriers that rely in right click damage such as Sven, Huskar and Troll Warlord thanks his ultimate Shadow Dance. However his Achilles's heel is in heroes with point target skills such as Pudge's Meat Hook that inflict damage and applies the hook effect even during Shadow Dance and AOE ultimates such as Call Down, Black Hole and Reverse Polarity, this weakness is can be remedied buying a Black King Bar
- Shadow Blade/ Silver Edge is an often picked item for Slark, as it gives you another escape and immediately activates Shadow Dance's passive, assuming the other team has no detection. Using Shadow Walk to sneak up to an enemy hero and hit for 175 bonus damage before pouncing is a good combo for taking down heroes faster. Silver Edge makes this combo even stronger. Shadow Dance can be used to make sure you are undetected as you move into position, however be careful, if the whole enemy team is missing while you going to gank, they might be waiting for you.
- Slark is fairly unique in that he can excel in every lane, if up against the right heroes, and can even be played as a solo offlaner thanks to Pounce.
- Pounce is good for both chasing and escaping enemies. It can be used like a Blink Dagger to jump into, from, or through otherwise impassable terrain to great effect.
- Dark Pact is a wonderful tool for purging the negative debuffs placed on him. When used at the right time, during the delay, the waves emitted from Slark will also remove the incoming debuffs about to be placed on him, allowing you to "dodge" or shorten their duration.
- Unlike most purges, Dark Pact can purge stuns from Slark - bear this in mind if you have been targeted by a slow moving projectile stun (such as Sven's Storm Hammer or Alchemist's Unstable Concoction) and time your activation of Dark Pact to remove it as it strikes. With enough practice you can time it to almost completely nullify their usage.
- Dark Pact also offers Slark a very interesting kind of advantage against certain defenses. The burst from Dark Pact is calculated as 10 attacks very quickly after another, meaning that Slark can use it against buffs like Living Armor, which offer protection but only defend against a set number of damage instances before disappearing.
- Dark Pact is a great way to finish off an invisible unit that has been leashed, as the AOE damage affects invisible prey.
- When being chased, try to get out of sight from the enemy, be it around trees, up hills, et cetera. The passive from Slark's ultimate will activate when out of enemy sight and give you a boost to move speed and HP regen for a short moment before sight is regained. This can be the difference between life and death.
- You can also use a Quelling Blade to cut off a tree and hide between the fog to regen your HP or take a shortcut, shortcuts can be made in the laning stage and before the battle begins.
- If timed right, Pounce can be used to dodge some projectile spells such as Sniper's ultimate, as Slark is invulnerable during his jump (note that some disables can catch Slark mid-air, though no damage will be dealt).
- A helpful side effect of Shadow Dance's passive is that Slark gains a weak form of detection. If you find that you've suddenly lost your movement speed and health regeneration bonuses while seemingly alone, it means one of three things. First, it can mean enemies are lurking around in the area that you can't see and you should be extra cautious- a gank may be incoming. Otherwise, if your enemies are all accounted for, it means the enemy has wards in the area, and you should let your team know this so they can react accordingly, or deward. Lastly, if Bloodseeker has leveled his Thirst, Slark's ultimate will be disabled while he has low health as it reveals Slark's location to his foes. This makes Bloodseeker one of the most effective counters to Slark in the game. But building an Urn of Shadows can remedy this, as you can get a steady +400 health from each active in early levels, which assures you the ability to get "off the grid" and continue your ganks after level 6.
- Slark functions a bit differently from most carries - while a standard carry capitalizes on sustained damage, Slark can take on more of a hit-and-run approach. You can maximize his Essence Shift's duration by continually harassing and retreating. Go for the kill once you think you have enough damage and attack speed to take down enemy heroes. Slark's base attributes are average at best, although with enough stolen Agility and damage items he can keep up with hard carries such as Phantom Assassin and Sniper.
- Maximize Essence Shift's efficiency by taking objectives using his stolen attributes. After a large teamfight, it is not uncommon to find that Slark has stolen upwards of 50 agility, making quick work of untended towers or Roshan.
- Soul Ring provides a cheap source of instant mana, as Shadow Dance can easily regenerate the health cost when out of battle
- If played as a midlane hero however, a Bottle can be a much better choice, healing you in combat situations and giving you mana when needed. Slark's passive speed boost from Shadow Dance also means he can out rune control most midlane heroes easily.
- Orchid Malevolence offers all the mana regeneration you will ever need, bonus attack damage and speed, as well as the damage amplifying Silence ability. Together with Pounce, it will lock down any target almost completely. Note, however, that this item choice does not supplement your naturally low health at all. Orchid Malevolence is most useful against intelligence heroes that can easily burst-damage you down, such as Lina, and heroes that can escape from Pounce's leash, such as Anti-Mage and Queen of Pain.
- Against Physical Damage dealers, such as Phantom Assassin for example, a Ghost Scepter works extremely well on Slark. Ghost Scepter gives you an added escape mechanism early along with much needed attributes, and builds into Ethereal Blade.
- Ethereal Blade gives Slark a huge damage and attack speed boost, Some HP, Armour and Mana, and yet another nuke and slow that synergizes well with Slarks skill set. This is due to Ethereal Blade's nuke damage coming from how much agility Slark has, and thanks to Essence Shift this can be an absolutely devastating amount of damage, especially if followed up by a Pounce and Dark Pact. Note that Ethereal debuffed units take 40% additional magic damage, boosting the damage output from both of your other nukes. One might think this is counter intuitive, as Dark Pact deals self damage. However, if done correctly Slark can use Ethereal Blade, time his Pounce and Dark Pact so that Slark can do full extra magic damage to the ethereal unit, and then be able to physically attack the leashed unit for an almost guaranteed kill. Ethereal Blade's Active can also be used to catch up to and/or finish off fleeing foes that are out of Slark's reach, as the nuke has a very long cast range.
- Skull Basher serves as a dual purpose item for Slark, giving him a passive bash and a huge damage boost, while also providing some HP. Late game Skull Basher can be upgraded into an Abyssal Blade for even more damage and HP and a guaranteed stun that goes through spell immunity.
- Blink Dagger is a great item for Slark, allowing him to close distances to set up a well-timed Pounce. It also greatly helps him escape sticky situations, due to the duration of Shadow Dance being longer than 3 seconds, he can easily blink out towards safety.
- Slark's murloc heritage was completely removed in transition to Dota 2 to avoid copyright issues, since the murloc are an existing race in the Warcraft universe.
- Slark's response, Play "Met you once, cut you twice." is a reference to the carpentry phrase, "Measure twice, cut once."
- Slark's respawn line, Play "Griefer madness..." is a reference to the propaganda film, Reefer Madness. As well, a griefer is a role a player assumes while in a multiplayer game to deliberately irritate other players.
- Slark's weapon, a Shiv, is the traditional prison weapon and is a reference to his backstory.
- The set deep sea scoundrel is a refernce to silence of the lambs character hannibal.
November 24, 2014 Patch
- Fixed Slark losing his existing attack target when casting Shadow Dance
November 18, 2014 Patch
July 18, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Pounce's Leash getting dispelled.
June 14, 2013 Patch
June 05, 2013 Patch
May 02, 2013 Patch
April 25, 2013 Patch
- Enabled Bristleback, Slark and Skywrath Mage in Captain's Mode (Latest Version).
- Shadow Dance:
- Fixed ability giving Slark flying vision.
- Fixed ability granting passive bonuses to Slark illusions.
- Fixed an issue causing the ability's passive modifier to not update in the UI, despite being active.
- Dark Pact:
- Fixed the ability continuing while Slark is dead.
- Fixed a number of incorrect spell interactions with the ability.
- Essence Shift counters on both Slark and enemy heroes will show the total duration ( i.e. the time that the most recent stack will expire.)
- Fixed a number of horizontal movement ability interactions with Pounce.
March 28, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Pounce not initiating an attack order on the leashed target.
February 07, 2013 Patch
January 17, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Impale based stuns not getting removed by Dark Pact.
December 13, 2012 Patch
December 06, 2012 Patch
- Fixed some bugs with Pounce movement restriction.
November 15, 2012 Patch
- Added Slark!
- Reduced Pounce damage from 55/110/165/220 to 50/100/150/200.
- Reduced Pounce damage from 60/120/180/240 to 55/110/165/220.
- Reduced Pounce damage from 70/140/210/280 to 60/120/180/240.
- Reduced Shadow Dance cooldown reduced from 65 to 60.
- Increased base agility from 15 to 21.
- Reduced Dark Pact cooldown from 10/9/8/7 to 9/8/7/6.
- Increased Shadow Dance health regeneration bonus from 3%/4%/5% to 3%/5%/7%.
- Increased damage from 40/80/120/160 to 70/140/210/280.
- Rescaled cooldown from 12 on eachl evel to 20/16/12/8.
- Increased max distance from 400/500/600/700 to 700 on each level.
- Shadow Dance
- Increased health regeneration bonus from 2%/3%/4% to 3%/4%/5% of max health.
- Reduced passive bonuses activation delay from 0.7 to 0.5.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Increased strength from 1.0 to 1.8.
- Reduced agility gain from 2.0 to 1.5.
- Increased intelligence from 1.6 to 1.9.
- Fixed Dark Pact not removing Laser debuff.
- No longer hits non-hero units.
- Increased latch radius from 85 to 95.
- Now leaps at a constant speed of 933.33, instead of needing 0.5 seconds for the whole distance on each level.
- Essence Shift
- Now reduces each stat by 1 on attacks, instead of primary attribute by 2 and others by 1.
- Reduced agility gained per attack from 4 to 3.
- Increased duration from 15/30/45/60 to 15/30/60/120.
- Now reduces 1 of each attribute on enemies permanently and Slark gains 3 agility if he kills a hero.
- Fixed Dark Pact not removing some debuffs properly.
- Reduced Pounce cooldown from 16 to 12.
- Dark Pact
- Now deals the self damage in the same intervals as the damage after the effect delay, instant of all immediatly upon cast.
- Reduced effect delay from 2 to 1.5.
- Increased debuff phase from 0.5 to 1 second.
- Still deals damage and debuffs Slark in 0.1 second intervals, but now over 1 second, instead of 0.5. Adjusted damage per interval to stay the same overall.
- Reduced base agility from 21 to 15.
- Increased base attack damage from 27-35 to 33-41 (total attack damage is still 48-56 due to the agility reduction).
- Reduced Dark Pact cooldown from 10 on each level to 10/9/8/7.
- Rescaled Pounce damage from 50/75/100/125 to 40/80/120/160.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Fixed some Dark Pact bugs.
- The leash now gets removed if the target blinks or teleports away.
- Fixed Slark sometimes not attacking the leashed unit.
- Essence Shift
- Fixed being able to kill units under the effect of Shallow Grave.
- Fixed Essence Shift sometimes not registering attacks at high attack speed.
- Shadow Dance passive movement speed and regen are now disabled by Doom.
- ↑ , Murlocs, the race Slark belongs to in DotA1.