Slark the Nightcrawler is a melee agility hero that utilises his abilities to spring onto enemy heroes and slip out unhindered. He is a very mobile ganker, but remains attribute-wise below most other carries unless he is able to steal away attributes with his abilities. Once he does, though, only a few heroes can hope to be as fearsome as the Nightcrawler - extremely mobile to the point of ever-presence; his strikes only hitting harder and faster.
Slark can quickly leap forward onto enemies with Pounce to leash them and bind them from escaping. His Dark Pact releases a delayed purge that breaks even the most powerful disables. This gives him one of the most flexible abilities to start and end fights in the game. He is also capable of stealing attributes by attacking his victim to boost his own attack damage temporarily with Essence Shift which can rapidly shift engagements in his favor, even when merely performing hit-and-run maneuvers. Slark's ultimate, Shadow Dance, allows him to remain unseen even while attacking for a short duration and allows him to move quicker when not under the watch of enemy eyes to strike in and out of enemy ranks unhindered.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Dark Pact Interrupts Slark's channeling spells upon cast.
- Deals 7.5/15/22.5/30 damage within 325 radius in 0.1 second intervals, starting 1.5 seconds after cast.
- Slark himself takes 3.75/7.5/11.25/15 damage from Dark Pact in the same intervals.
- Applies a strong dispel on Slark in the same intervals, right after each of its damage instances.
- The self-inflicted damage can be reduced or amplified, but can never kill Slark.
- The visual effects and sounds during the 1.5 seconds delay is only visible and audible to allies.
- The visual effect of the damaging pulses are visible even when Slark is invisible.
- Dark Pact ends 2.5 seconds after cast, but ends instantly when Slark dies.
- Re-casting Dark Pact during the effect delay cancels the previous cast and starts a new one instead.
- Slark leaps forward at a speed of 933.33 for up to 0.75 seconds.
- Pounce disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Always jumps for the full distance, unless an enemy hero gets within 95 radius of Slark during the jump.
- Can latch on enemy heroes up to 795 range away (700 max distance + 95 latch radius).
- Slark can turn, cast spells and use items during Pounce, but cannot attack.
- When latching on a unit, Slark is automatically ordered to attack the target.
- The more the leash gets stretched, the slower the affected unit can walk away from the center, eventually coming to a full stop. It directly affects the target's movement speed.
- Every other position changing effect, including spells like Blinding Light and Primal Roar can break the leash.
- When the leash expires while a position changing effect is ongoing, it instantly cancels the position changing effect.
- This goes for the following spells: Adaptive Strike, Blinding Light, Boulder Smash, Charge of Darkness, Deafening Blast, Flamebreak, Force Staff, Geomagnetic Grip, Greater Bash, Gust, Hookshot, Power Cogs, Primal Roar, Rolling Boulder, Tether, Timber Chain, Vacuum and Walrus PUNCH!
- Pounce destroys trees within 100 radius around Slark upon landing.
- Essence Shift steals attributes before attack damage is applied.
- Successive attacks do not refresh the duration of all stolen/lost attributes. Each stack has its own duration.
- The status buff and debuff icon show the number of current stacks and show the duration of the last stack.
- On each attack, the attacked hero loses 20 maximum health, 0.03 health regen, 0.14 armor, 1 attack speed, 12 maximum mana, 0.04 mana regen, 0.0625% spell damage and 1 attack damage.
- The current health and mana percentages stay equal. Does not directly reduce current health and mana.
- On each attack, Slark gains 0.42 armor, 3 attack speed and 3 attack damage.
- Essence Shift cannot reduce any attribute below 0. However, Slark continues to gain agility, even when the attacked hero has no more attributes left to steal.
- When Slark dies, he loses all stolen attributes, but the affected enemies do not get theirs back, and vice versa.
- Cannot steal attributes from illusions, but can from hero clones. Can steal from allies.
- Shadow Dance interrupts Slark's channeling spells upon cast.
- Slark gains or loses the health regen and movement speed bonus 0.5 seconds after getting in or out of enemy vision, or casting Shadow Dance.
- If Slark is damaged by a neutral creep, the health regen and movement speed bonus are lost for 2 seconds.
- When casting Shadow Dance, he turns invisible and cannot be revealed by anything. However, the black cloud created is visible to enemies.
- When casting, Slark is guaranteed to regenerate 12%/20%/28% of his maximum health, if he does not get damaged by neutral creeps or is affected by Ice Blast or False Promise.
- Restores health in the form of health regeneration, so it regenerates 0.3%/0.5%/0.7% of max health in 0.1 second intervals.
- Can possibly restore 100% of Slark's health on its own within 34/20/15 seconds.
- Unlike other active forms of invisibility, Shadow Dance does not allow Slark to walk through units.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Stout Shield allows Slark to sustain more harassment from enemies and stay in lane longer. It can later be built into a Poor Man's Shield from the side-shop.
- Tango help Slark regenerate his health without the need of returning to base.
- Healing Salve can save Slark at the last moment.
- Iron Branches provide good stats and can be built into a Magic Wand.
- Magic Stick can be crucial in many situations, giving a burst of mana and health when needed.
- Boots of Speed allow Slark to catch up to enemies and immobilize them with Pounce.
- Poor Man's Shield gives Slark agility points, therefore increasing his last-hitting and denying in lane. It also saves Slark from harassment in lane.
- Orb of Venom is a cheap but powerful item to slow enemies and inflict damage overtime, giving an advantage to Slark's early ganks. It can later be built into a Eye of Skadi.
- Power Treads gives Slark attack speed and a boost to attributes that can be switched to survive teamfights or give him enough mana to use one of his abilities.
- Magic Wand is an upgrade to Magic Stick. Giving him more stats and opens up item slots.
- Shadow Blade provides a good source of attack speed and additional invisibility to improve your ability to gank and escape. It also synergizes very well with the passive part of Shadow Dance giving him the hp-regeneration and movement speed buffs when he is not revealed by detection.
- Echo Sabre grants two stacks of Essence Shift right away, and its burst damage is very useful for ganking.
- Town Portal Scroll can allow Slark to arrive at teamfights faster, or help him escape in a pinch. Consider holding onto one for most of the game.
- Drum of Endurance provides Slark with attributes to improve his lackluster stat-growth while giving him extra movement speed and attack speed to help close the distance on foes. It can give him the early game advantage he needs to snowball.
- Sange and Yasha works great in conjunction with Slark's skill set allowing him to easily chase and attack enemy heroes due to the passive maim. In addition to the slow, Sange and Yasha also provides additional move speed, attack speed, and a strength and agility boost to his attributes.
- Black King Bar's spell immunity offers protection from magic damage in team fights.It can make him almost invulnerable while under the effect of Shadow Dance.
- Butterfly offers bonus attack speed, armor, damage, and Agility, and its evasion gives him more survivability against right-click damage. It can be activated to provide a movement speed boost that makes chasing or escaping easier.
- Vladmir's Offering can be built for some stats and an aura that provides buffs such as lifesteal, mana regeneration and more to you and your teammates.
- Eye of Skadi grants Slark both incredible survivability and killing power. Its wealth of attributes provide Slark with HP, mana, armor, damage, and attack speed - all superb boosts to Slark's lackluster base attributes. Not to mention, its Unique Attack Modifier which slows enemies on-hit greatly helps Slark to stick to his targets. The effect also stacks with any lifesteal UAM.
- Skull Basher helps lock down enemies if they break free of Pounce's leash.
- Silver Edge is a natural extension of Shadow Blade and can improve Slark's ganking capability even further with its Break and damage reduction. Keep it in mind when facing heroes with strong passive abilities such as Phantom Assassin's Blur and Coup de Grace or Enchantress' Untouchable.
- Abyssal Blade is an extremely useful item on Slark that combines very well with Slark's high agility and attack speed, which can constantly proc bashes. It also provides him with extra attack damage and a strong active ability.
- Orchid Malevolence is sometimes picked up to help Slark gank, and regenerate mana for more frequent uses for Pounce and Dark Pact.
- Moon Shard hugely increases Slark's attack speed, allowing him to steal large amounts of attributes in a short amount of time. As the game progresses, it can be consumed to free an item slot and provide a permanent attack speed bonus.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Slark's murloc heritage was completely removed in the transition to Dota 2 to avoid copyright issues, since the murloc are an existing race in the Warcraft universe.
- Slark's response, Play "Met you once, cut you twice." is a reference to the carpentry phrase, "Measure twice, cut once."
- Slark's respawn line, Play "Griefer madness..." is a reference to the propaganda film, Reefer Madness. As well, a griefer is a role a player assumes while in a multiplayer game to deliberately irritate other players.
- Slark's weapon, a shiv, is the traditional prison weapon and is a reference to his backstory.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- , Murlocs, the race Slark belongs to in DotA1.