19 + 1.5
13 + 0.8
27 + 3.6
Dragonus the Skywrath Mage is a ranged Intelligence hero equipped with tremendously powerful nukes, able to enhance magical damage and thus scales well into late game. However, he is a proverbial glass cannon; while he can bring superb amounts of damage, he is dangerously vulnerable and will most likely meet a swift end if the player isn't careful. Arcane Bolt is his main spell; its damage is based on his current Intelligence level. Concussive Shot blasts the nearest enemy hero, along with nearby units around the foe, slowing them down. The Ancient Seal marks the target with magic amplification and silence, leaving the target vulnerable to magic and unable to cast spells. Skywrath Mage's ultimate Mystic Flare is one of the most dangerous nukes in the game. Its power is split equally among enemy heroes within its radius. Enemy heroes caught in this field will suffer damage; if it is used on a single hero, it will deal its full damage potential. His spells are most effective when targeted on a lone hero and thus suffer decreased effectiveness when used on groups.
| Dragonus, the Skywrath Mage
| Play "Those who tangle with the Skywrath risk a fall from starry heights."
|| Nuker / Support
|| A highly placed mage in the court of the Ghastly Eyrie, Dragonus lives a troubled existence. Sworn by birth to protect whomever sits within the Nest of Thorns, he hates the current Skywrath queen with all his soul. As a youth, high-born, he was a friend and companion to the eldest Skywrath princess, Shendelzare, first in line for the Nest. He had loved her warmly and unshakably, but as his studies took hold, his mind turned to arcane learning and the mastery of Skywrath sorcery.
Obsessed with matters aetherial, he missed the mundane signs of courtly treachery that hinted at a plot against Shendelzare, and lost his chance to foil it. When the court was shaken by a swift and violent coup, he emerged from his studies to discover his oldest and dearest friend had been lost to him. The Nest of Thorns now belonged to Shendelzare's ruthless younger sister, and Dragonus could do nothing. The magic of the Skywrath Mage serves only the sworn protector of the Skywrath scion, so to act against the Nest would render him helpless. He clings to his post, believing it to be the best hope of one day restoring his true love to her rightful place. Meanwhile, his secret is known only to the goddess Scree'auk, whose magic it was transformed Shendelzare from a crippled physical creature into an embodiment of pure vengeful energy.
While he dreams of restoring his beloved queen to the Ghastly Eyrie, he dreams even more desperately of restoring Shendelzare herself to a fully healed physical form. The duplicity of his role at court tortures him, for he is a noble and good-hearted creature; but the worst torture of all is imagining the hatred that Vengeful Spirit must hold in her heart for him.
|| TJ Ramini (Responses)
- The bolt travels at a speed of 500 and can not be disjointed.
- Checks Skywrath's intelligence upon releasing the projectile.
- This means that the projectile's damage is set upon launch and doesn't adapt when losing or gaining intelligence.
- This is how much damage Arcane Bolt deals with a certain amount of intelligence:
- Level 1 (27 Int): 103/123/143/163 damage
- Level 6 (45 Int): 132/153/173/193 damage
- Level 11 (61 Int): 157/177/197/217 damage
- Level 16, Level 1 Attribute Bonus (83 Int): 192/212/232/252 damage
- Level 21, Level 6 Attribute Bonus (111 Int): 237/257/277/297 damage
- Level 25, Level 10 Attribute Bonus (133 Int): 272/292/312/332 damage
- Also provides the same vision at the target's location for 3.34 seconds upon successfully hitting it.
- Only enemy heroes (including Meepo clones), which are not invulnerable or hidden are affected.
- Deals damage in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 second after spell cast, resulting in 24 damage instances.
- This is how much damage Mystic Flare deals when hitting a certain amount of heroes (before reductions):
- 1 hero: 25/41.66/58.33 per interval, 600/1000/1400 total
- 2 heroes: 12.5/20.83/29.16 per interval, 300/500/700 total
- 3 heroes: 8.33/13.88/19.44 per interval, 200/333.33/466.66 total
- 4 heroes: 6.25/10.41/14.58 per interval, 150/250/350 total
- 5 heroes: 5/8.33/11.66 per interval, 120/200/280 total
- Healing Salve and Tango are bought to stay in lane longer without returning to the base. Not only that, but they can be used on teammates to keep them fully healed.
- Three Clarities ensure that you won't run out of mana while laning. Just the same with Tangos and Salves, Clarities will allow you to restore allies Mana as well.
- Three Iron Branches give a helpful boost to all your attributes.
- Dagon can be picked if you need an additional nuke. Overall, it gives a small boost to all attributes, a large boost to his intelligence, some damage and a scaling ability which can be used to kill enemy Heroes while all your other abilities are on cooldown, or when the enemy is too far.
- Arcane Boots offer more mana to spam your spells and allows you to give a burst of mana to your whole team.
- Magic Stick provides you with more regeneration in lane and a clutch stock of Health and Mana if you're in trouble.
- Void Stone gives great mana regeneration, and is useful even later in the game.
- Magic Wand grants additional attributes bonuses and even more regeneration.
- Bloodstone gives both survivability and regeneration, which are compulsory for Skywrath Mage due to his large mana cost for his level 3 Mystic Flare and his low strength gain.
- Rod of Atos boosts your health and your Intelligence, making your Arcane Bolt more effective. Its ability can be used to set up a perfect Mystic Flare.
- Force Staff's active ability is very useful for Skywrath Mage, it can be used to get into range to finish off a fleeing enemy with Concussive Shot, or to escape from a bad situation. It also gives Intelligence which boosts your Arcane Bolt's damage slightly while also giving him a larger mana pool which is good for being able to sustain enough mana for his level 3 Mystic Flare, the health regeneration is also useful for keeping Skywrath Mage healthy after a fight.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity offers more Intelligence, mana regeneration, movement speed and an active ability which can counter tp-out and help with the chases.
- Shiva's Guard gives durability and a lot of Intelligence; its ability is useful against clustered opponents.
- Veil of Discord amplifies the damage done by your spells, making it a great choice for Skywrath Mage. The bonuses it gives are always useful.
- Ethereal Blade provides useful boosts to Skywrath Mage's attributes, and if you have high Intelligence its active ability can devastate a target. It also amplifies the damage done by your nukes and slows the target which is perfect for landing Mystic Flare.
- Scythe of Vyse gives great increases to his attributes and great mana regeneration. Its ability is a powerful disable capable of making an enemy Hero useless for 3.5 seconds.
- Aghanim's Scepter reduces your Ultimate's cooldown to 0 at level 3. Allowing for a hugely devastating attack at level 16. Depending on how much mana one has available, one could in theory drop 2-4 Mystic Flares successively.
- Skywrath Mage needs to control the spacing between him and his opponents carefully. Skirt the outside of the fight and slow and silence enemies that attempt to shut you down, everything you can do has very long range and your turnspeed is very fast.
- The amplification of magic damage couples nicely with arcane bolt's bonus intelligence damage. Ancient Seal also silences your target, so use this to net kills early game.
- Arcane Bolt deals a lot of damage at level 1 to level 1 heroes. When coupled with Intelligence bonus items like Mantle of Intelligence, even more damage is dealt. The mana cost is also very low, so it's a wonderful harrassment tool. It will also make last-hitting an easy task when you have some good mana regen going.
- Skywrath Mage is a very squishy hero, so HP items are commonly built. When laning or in a teamfight, try to stay out of range of enemy basic attacks, and use your abilities from a distance, only jumping in when necessary. Force Staff solves this problem easily, allowing a quick escape if danger arises.
- Mystic Flare is much more efficient on single heroes during ganks, since they receive the full, undistributed damage amount. Try to use this with an ally's stun, however, as the AoE is very small, and very easy to escape out of when not disabled. Using Mystic Flare during a teamfight isn't a bad idea, but it only really works if all the enemies are stunned by a large AoE teamfight Ultimate, such as Magnus's Reverse Polarity. Mystic Flare can be used to kill off the remaining heroes after the stun has been successful.
- You will need to be extremely careful when facing heroes that can deal damage based on your mana pool or intelligence. Examples of this include Pugna's Nether Ward, Anti-Mage's Mana Void and Nyx's Mana Burn. If these heroes are giving you trouble, you may even wish to consider a Black King Bar of your own later in the game to keep you protected from these powerful counters during teamfights.
- It is common to begin ganking at level 6. Skywrath Mage needs all the farm he can get for his core items and all the experience for more levels, which equal more intelligence.
- Skywrath Mage's killing combo is to initate Concussive shot, then,before the Concussive shot hits, use Ancient Seal. Follow up with Mystic Flare and some Arcane Bolt's to finish them off. Most supports and squishy heroes like Sniper will drop right after Mystic Flare and one or two Arcane Bolts.
- A wonderful combination is Legion Commander's Duel and Mystic Flare, this will allow Tresdin to snowball much faster and with far greater ease. Another combination is Clockwork's Hookshot + Cogs, and Mystic Flare, although you might need a Force Staff or Blink Dagger in order to immediately catch up to your team's Clockwork once he hookshots in. Also, consider Nature's Prophet's Sprout, and Crystal Maiden's Frostbite.
- It is best to lane with heroes with stuns like Vengeful Spirit, Lion or even Alchemist. Stuns guarantee that Skywrath Mage will be able to land his Mystic Flare. Similarily, Heroes with long lasting disables like Shadow Shaman can hold them in place long enough for Skywrath to hit them with some Arcane Bolts and Mystic Flare.
- Although Aghanim's Scepter is usually very weak due to Mystic Flare's high mana cost, having an Outworld Devourer on your team, while having a fair bit of farm yourself can justify the item pickup. But beware, at level 3, Essence Aura will NOT restore mana for each use of Mystic Flare, because of its lack of cooldown.
- Only build Dagon if you lack enough burst damage to kill a certain hero on the enemy team. Because of your massive damage output, it almost renders Dagon useless.
- Concussive Shot will not target illusions, so it can be used to distinguish a real hero from illusions.
- If you are level 6 and you plan to kill with a level 1 Mystic Flare, you need to make sure that you harass the opponent roughly half-way, due to the fact that when you factor in magic resistance, it will only deal 450 maximum damage, even lower if they do not stay in for the entire 2.4 seconds. Having 1 point in Ancient Seal will increase the damage to 585 magical damage maximum, fixing up the problem and deal a bit more damage, which counts in the early game.
- In the start of Vengeful Spirit's lore, the Skywrath are stated as being hateful and vengeful, yet Dragonus carries none of these traits, and is instead mild-mannered and tempered.
- In DotA, Dragonus's hero model was a Dragonhawk Rider, a unit of the blood elves. Skywrath Mage and Invoker were related due to them both being blood elves. Blood elves are also a playable race in World of Warcraft. 
- A silhouette of what appears to be Skywrath Mage can be seen in Bristleback's splash artwork, seemingly still having a beta model/texture.
- Base agility reduced from 18 to 13
- Concussive Shot:
- Movement slow rebalanced from 40% to 30/35/40/45%
- Is now disjointable
- Mystic Flare damage is now dealt over 2.2 seconds instead of 2 seconds
- Ancient Seal damage amplification increased from 18/24/30/36% to 30/35/40/45%.
- Base movement speed increased from 315 to 325.
- Concussive Shot damage increased from 50/100/150/200 to 60/120/180/240.
- Mystic Flare damage increased from 600/900/1200 to 600/1000/1400.
- Concussive Shot cooldown decreased from 20/19/18/17 to 20/18/16/14.
- Added to Captain's Mode.
- Base Intelligence increased by 3.
- Arcane Bolt
- Bonus intelligence damage increased from 1.5x to 1.6x.
- Manacost decreased from 90 to 70.
- Concussive Shot cooldown now scales from 20 to 20/19/18/17.
- ↑ Blood elves, the race Skywrath Mage belongs to in DotA.