Dragonus, the Skywrath Mage, is a ranged intelligence hero equipped with tremendously powerful nukes, able to enhance magical damage and thus scales well into late game. However, he is a proverbial glass cannon; while he can bring superb amounts of damage, he is dangerously vulnerable and will most likely meet a swift end if the player isn't careful. Arcane Bolt is his main spell; its damage is based on his current Intelligence level. Concussive Shot blasts the nearest enemy hero, along with nearby units around the foe, slowing them down. The Ancient Seal marks the target with magic amplification and silence, leaving the target vulnerable to magic and unable to cast spells. Skywrath Mage's ultimate Mystic Flare is one of the most dangerous nukes in the game. Enemy heroes caught in this field will suffer massive damage. Its power is split equally among enemy heroes within its radius; if it is used on a single hero, it will deal its full damage potential. His spells are most effective when targeted on a lone hero and thus suffer decreased effectiveness when used on groups.
|Dragonus, the Skywrath Mage|
|Play "Even on this fallen field, I dedicate my powers to the lofty Skywrath."|
|Role:||Support / Nuker / Disabler|
|Lore:|| A highly placed mage in the court of the Ghastly Eyrie, Dragonus lives a troubled existence. Sworn by birth to protect whomever sits within the Nest of Thorns, he hates the current Skywrath queen with all his soul. As a youth, high-born, he was a friend and companion to the eldest Skywrath princess, Shendelzare, first in line for the Nest. He had loved her warmly and unshakably, but as his studies took hold, his mind turned to arcane learning and the mastery of Skywrath sorcery.
Obsessed with matters aetherial, he missed the mundane signs of courtly treachery that hinted at a plot against Shendelzare, and lost his chance to foil it. When the court was shaken by a swift and violent coup, he emerged from his studies to discover his oldest and dearest friend had been lost to him. The Nest of Thorns now belonged to Shendelzare's ruthless younger sister, and Dragonus could do nothing. The magic of the Skywrath Mage serves only the sworn protector of the Skywrath scion, so to act against the Nest would render him helpless. He clings to his post, believing it to be the best hope of one day restoring his true love to her rightful place. Meanwhile, his secret is known only to the goddess Scree'auk, whose magic it was transformed Shendelzare from a crippled physical creature into an embodiment of pure vengeful energy. While he dreams of restoring his beloved queen to the Ghastly Eyrie, he dreams even more desperately of restoring Shendelzare herself to a fully healed physical form. The duplicity of his role at court tortures him, for he is a noble and good-hearted creature; but the worst torture of all is imagining the hatred that Vengeful Spirit must hold in her heart for him.
|Voice:||TJ Ramini (Responses)|
- The bolt travels at a speed of 500 and cannot be disjointed.
- Checks Skywrath's intelligence upon releasing the projectile.
- This means that the projectile's damage is set upon launch and does not adapt when losing or gaining intelligence.
- This is how much damage Arcane Bolt deals with a certain amount of intelligence including spell amplification (before reductions):
- 27 Intelligence (Level 1): 104/124/145/165 damage
- 45 Intelligence (Level 6): 135/156/176/197 damage
- 63 Intelligence (Level 11): 167/187/208/229 damage
- 81 Intelligence (Level 16): 199/220/241/262 damage
- 99 Intelligence (Level 21): 231/253/274/295 damage
- 113 Intelligence (Level 25): 258/279/301/322 damage
- The projectile has a 325 radius flying vision. This vision does not linger.
- Also provides the same vision at the target's location for 3.34 seconds upon successfully hitting it.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps.
- With Aghanim's Scepter, whenever Arcane Bolt is cast, a different random target within the search radius is also targeted by a second Arcane Bolt.
Cannot target secondary spell immune units.
- Concussive Shot interrupts Skywrath Mage's channeling spells upon cast.
- Concussive Shot travels at a speed of 800 and can be disjointed.
- Disjointing it completely nullifies the effects, including the area slow and damage.
- Does not target invisible, invulnerable or hidden units or units in the Fog of War. Does target Meepo clones.
- When no valid targets are nearby, the spell does nothing, wasting the cooldown and mana when cast.
- The projectile has 300 radius flying vision. This vision does not linger.
- Also provides the same vision at the target's location for 3.34 seconds upon successfully hitting it.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps.
- With Aghanim's Scepter, whenever Concussive Shot is cast, a different random target within the search radius is also targeted by a second Concussive Shot.
- The search radius is centered around the primary target, not around Skywrath Mage.
- Unlike the primary projectile, the secondary projectile can target non-hero units. However, heroes and illusions are prioritized. Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Also unlike the primary projectile, the secondary projectile does not target spell immune or invulnerable units.
- Applies a silence.
- Reduces most heroes' total magic resistance to 2.5%/-1.25%/-5%/-8.75% if they do not have any other source of magic resistance and are not Meepo or Visage.
- Reduces Meepo's total magic resistance to 15.5%/12.25%/9%/5.75% and Visage's total magic resistance to -17%/-21.5%/-26%/-30.5% if they have no other sources.
- The magic resistance reduction does not affect non-hero units.
- Successive casts on the same target do not stack, but refresh the duration instead.
- Deals damage in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 second after spell cast, resulting in 24 damage instances.
- This is how much damage Mystic Flare deals when hitting a certain amount of heroes for the full duration (before reductions):
- 1 Hero: 25/41.66/58.33 per interval, 600/1000/1400 total
- 2 Heroes: 12.5/20.83/29.16 per interval, 300/500/700 total
- 3 Heroes: 8.33/13.88/19.44 per interval, 200/333.33/466.66 total
- 4 Heroes: 6.25/10.41/14.58 per interval, 150/250/350 total
- 5 Heroes: 5/8.33/11.66 per interval, 120/200/280 total
debuff is responsible for the particle effects on hit enemies. It has only visual purposes.
- The debuff is placed by an aura, and lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Skywrath Mage's Aghanim's Scepter upgrade does not require Mystic Flare to be learned. It works for each of his abilities individually.
- With Aghanim's Scepter, casting Mystic Flare automatically casts a second Mystic Flare centered on a random enemy within the search radius but outside the 170 effect radius.
- The search radius is centered around the targeted area, not around Skywrath Mage.
- Despite being able to only damage heroes and illusions, it does select non-hero units as well. However, heroes and illusions are prioritized. Treats creep-heroes as creeps.
- Ignores spell immune or invulnerable units within the search radius.
|-4s Ancient Seal Cooldown||25||+14 Mana Regen|
|+15% Magic Resistance||20||+20 Movement Speed|
|+90 Gold/Min||15||10% Spell Lifesteal|
|+7 Intelligence||10||+150 Health|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The spell lifesteal stacks additively with that of Octarine Core.
- The spell lifesteal heals for 2% from non-hero units. Treats creep-heroes as creeps and does not heal off of illusions.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The mana regen is added as a bonus and does not benefit illusions.
- Healing Salve and Tango are basic regen items that should be purchased no matter what lane Skywrath Mage is placed in. They can also be used to sustain lane mates who are constantly getting harassed by the enemy.
- Three Clarity ensure that you do not run out of mana while laning. Due to how spammable Arcane Bolt is, having the mana to use it consistently can allow you to harass and zone out your lane opponents.
- Three Iron Branches give a helpful boost to all your attributes for a cheap price, and later build into a Magic Wand should you need one.
- Arcane Boots should be purchased as quickly as possible, as they expand the size of Skywrath's mana pool and allow him to replenish a portion of it occasionally (as well as that of his allies).
- Magic Stick can instantly restore some of Skywrath's health and mana. The health replenishment is crucial given his very small health pool, while the mana replenishment can allow him to cast one or two more spells in an emergency.
- Null Talisman provides an assortment of stats, most important among them intelligence, giving Skywrath Mage more mana, more damage, and increasing the strength of Arcane Bolt.
- Magic Wand grants all the same benefits of Magic Stick, along with attributes and larger charge storage. If Skywrath is given low farm priority, building one of these is cheap and effective.
- Rod of Atos boosts Skywrath Mage's health and intelligence, both of which are extremely important. Its active ability can root a target from a very long distance away, allowing him to keep a single target in place for Mystic Flare
- Void Stone is a very strong intermediary item to get on Skywrath. The scaling mana regen allows him to maintain his mana pool at all points of the game, and can build into many useful situational items.
- Town Portal Scroll is important on all heroes. Because Skywrath Mage possesses such strong nuking power, being able to appear at any fight can greatly increase the odds of his team getting at least one or two kills against the enemy.
- Ethereal Blade, while expensive, serves dual purposes for Skywrath Mage. Used offensively, the active ability can inflict tremendous nuke damage to an enemy due to Skywrath's high intelligence gain and weaken their magic resistance, stacking with Ancient Seal to increase the target's vulnerability to his nukes. Used defensively, it can provide Skywrath with immunity to physical damage for a short time, though it can be left as a Ghost Scepter if farm is an issue.
- Force Staff is a strong utility item on any support, and synergizes with Skywrath Mage's needs. It provides him with instant mobility, allowing him to re-position to cast his spells against the enemy, or to aid in escaping from enemies; it can be used to this end on allies as well. The item's bonus intelligence gives Skywrath more mana, base damage and strengthens Arcane Bolt, and the health regen keeps his meager health pool topped up.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a powerful item in that it allows Skywrath Mage to zone out enemies for a significant amount of time with Mystic Flare. When used in choke points like small ramps or between trees, enemies have to either stay back, allowing Skywrath Mage to escape, or cage an enemy in, or go through and take heavy damage and risk their lives. It is also very strong when combined with long disables like Chronosphere, Sacred Arrow or Adaptive Strike, capable of mowing down even the tankiest targets.
- Bloodstone is a very powerful item on Skywrath Mage, and can be built up by disassembling your Arcane Boots. It grants him a greatly increased health and mana pool and powerful mana regen, increasing his staying power in fights and keeping up with the mana cost of his spells.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a good utility item that is also cheap and easy to build. It provides Skywrath with more intelligence and scaling mana regen, and the increased movement speed allows him to chase and flee much more effectively, compounding his already impressive base movement speed. The active can be used as an interrupting disable, something that Skywrath Mage otherwise lacks, or can be used to give himself temporary invulnerability (such as to prevent himself from being damaged by an enemy Blade Mail) while also purging debuffs from himself (such as silences).
- Shiva's Guard gives Skywrath Mage a large amount of intelligence as well as powerful survivability against physical damage. The aura can help him to contribute more in teamfights, and the armor can help keep him alive for longer as his agility gain is among the worst in the game.
- Veil of Discord is a cheap purchase that grants Skywrath Mage with strong benefits, particularly boosting his intelligence and giving him armor and health regen. The active can weaken enemies' magic resistance on top of Ancient Seal and make them more vulnerable to his magic nukes, as well as those of his allies, making it a powerful utility item that can be built up from an already-purchased Null Talisman.
- Scythe of Vyse is a costly item, but one which is very strong on any support hero. The great amount of intelligence and attributes greatly benefits Skywrath Mage, and the scaling mana regen allows him to sustain his mana pool. Most importantly, the active is a very strong hard-disable that can set up kills for his spells, or for allies to focus the target down.
- Dagon synergizes with Skywrath Mage's ability to nuke down targets by giving him even more magic damage and increasing his intelligence.
- Octarine Core allows Skywrath Mage to take advantage of his tremendous nuking power and spammable spells. The item gives him more intelligence, as well as mana and health, increasing his battlefield presence. The cooldown reduction and spell lifesteal allow him to use Arcane Bolt much more frequently and increase his survivability by replenishing his health as he deals damage to the enemy with his spells.
- Tranquil Boots are an unorthodox purchase on Skywrath Mage, as he needs mana regen and a bigger mana pool in order to be effective. However, Tranquil Boots can increase his survivability, as the bonus armor can greatly increase his survivability against physical damage since the hero himself will have barely any armor at all. The passive HP regen aids in keeping him on the field as much of his true damage comes from Arcane Bolt rather than his right-clicks, and the increased movement speed boosts his ability to roam and gank.
- Soul Ring can be a dangerous purchase on Skywrath Mage as it can heavily tax his already-low HP pool, however, it also provides passive HP regen, a small amount of scaling mana regen, and gives him on-demand mana for casting his spells, reducing the strain his spells put on his mana pool. As well, Soul Ring builds into a Bloodstone, which can be a useful item to have on Skywrath.
- Aether Lens can be easily obtained through disassembling Arcane Boots. Besides providing extra HP regen, boosting the cast range on Skywrath Mage's spells allows him to bombard the enemy from even farther away, extending his safety radius. The spell damage amp greatly boosts his nuking power, particularly as it stacks alongside Ancient Seal.
- Blink Dagger greatly increases Skywrath Mage's ability to position himself for casting his spells, allowing him to extend the range of his already long-reaching spells. It can allow him to get the drop on enemies and nuke them down with very little warning, or escape from pursuing enemies provided that he can activate it before taking player damage.
- Black King Bar does not synergize well with Skywrath Mage's ability to nuke down his foes, however, it does provide spell immunity, allowing him to function in teamfights without worry of being interrupted or disabled. As well, the extra strength gives him some more survivability by giving him more HP.
- Boots of Travel is an expensive investment, but can drastically boost Skywrath Mage's mobility if purchased as an early-game item. Having constant access to teleportation allows Skywrath to return to base after depleting his mana pool on ganks, or re-position globally to show up to teamfights or ganks. As well, the increased movement speed allows him to ruthlessly chase down foes and blast them down with his spells.
- In the start of Vengeful Spirit's lore, the Skywrath are stated as being hateful and vengeful, yet Dragonus carries none of these traits, and is instead mild-mannered and tempered.
- In DotA, Dragonus's hero model was a Dragonhawk Rider, a unit of the blood elves. Skywrath Mage and Invoker were related due to them both being blood elves. Blood elves are also a playable race in World of Warcraft. 
- The Skywrath race did not exist in Warcraft universe; rather, it was created in the Dota 2 lore for Vengeful Spirit, and then grandfathered into DotA afterward. Skywrath Mage was one of the first heroes created in DotA following the opening of the beta for Dota 2.
- A silhouette of what appears to be Skywrath Mage can be seen in Bristleback's splash artwork, seemingly still having a beta model/texture.