|Play“More pages for my Black Grimoire!”
This article contains content that has been removed from the game. It exists solely for archival purposes.
Ostarion the Skeleton King is a powerful melee strength hero, capable of taking plenty of damage before dying. His ultimate allows him to rise again, acting like an Aegis of the Immortal, making him especially difficult to kill. He also has a nuke that deals reliable damage and stun, and he is able to stay in his lane longer because of his passive lifesteal aura. He can become a hard carry in later stages of game depending on his farm.
- Hellfire Blast is a very good nuke, allowing you to disable and slow at the same time. A perfect tool for ganks and team fights, it has a relatively low cooldown, so spam it if you have enough mana.
- Learning Vampiric Aura during laning phase will shift the creeps equilibrium and you'll be forced to farm and fight under enemy tower. Good for pushing, but hurts your farm and puts you and your allies in disadvantageous position.
- Always make sure to save some mana for Reincarnation, if you have less than 140 mana, you will not reincarnate. Soul Ring is handy for this purpose.
- Hellfire Blast is usually maxed first and Reincarnation is taken as soon as possible. It's also recommended to take one or two levels of Stats on early levels to improve Skeleton King's mana pool and health, as both Mortal Strike and Vampiric Aura are not useful in lane (Due to the 6.79 patch Skeleton King has more base intelligence and has more mana to work with. This allows you to level up mortal strike earlier, increasing your dps for possible team fights).
- Armlet of Mordiggian and Soul Ring are commonly built for Skeleton King because Vampiric Aura allows him to heal up quickly after taking damage from these items. With both items, at very low health, you can activate Armlet, then Soul Ring, then quickly deactivate and reactivate Armlet for what is essentially a free Soul Ring use.
- Activating Phase Boots and Drum of Endurance at the same time will give you enough mobility to chase and kill.
- Grabbing a Force Staff can help make up for Skeleton King's lack of mobility, and it allows him to jump closer to his targets to make up for the short range of Hellfire Blast.
- Divine Rapier is a very strong item on Skeleton King, allowing him to take advantage of his great survivability (from Reincarnation and Vampiric Aura).
- Refresher Orb is situational, as it allows you to potentially Reincarnate twice in a fight allowing you to be that much more useful in a team fight.
- Although picking up the Aegis of the Immortal may seem redundant on Skeleton King, it is recommended if he is his team's main carry. This way, he has 3 lives to expend, and unlike Reincarnation, the Aegis doesn't require mana.
- Try to initiate and tank as much damage as possible in team fights. If you are the last to die, nobody will be able to help you when you proc Reincarnation!
- An alternate build known as wizard skeleton king is actually very viable. Due to the low cool down on Hellfire Blast, by choosing to forgo any points in critical strike for stats, as well as building arcane boots it is possible to have enough mana to constantly spam your stun. Moving from here directly to a dagon makes you a formidable ganker, and allows you to knock out targets in teamfights with less worry of dying compared to a typical nuker due to Reincarnation. Another benefit of this build is that it is very rare to not have enough mana for your ult.
- In DotA, Ostarion was known as King Leoric. Leoric was a recurring boss in the Diablo franchise, another game made by Blizzard. He is an iconic boss in Diablo; he reprises his role in Diablo III, through the alias "Skeleton King."
- Skeleton King: Removed for pressing ceremonial reasons.
- Later replaced with Wraith King.
- Added Mortal Strike sound effects.
- Fixed a bug with Skeleton King's Reincarnation and Aegis of the Immortal.
- Mortal Strike sound added.
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Skeleton King.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Skeleton King.
- Buying an item while dead no longer puts it in the main inventory. Fixes an exploit of buying items while dead with Aegis or as Skeleton King and respawning with the item.
- Added more movement lines for Dazzle, Dark Seer, Dragon Knight, Nature's Prophet, Huskar, Riki, Skeleton King, Slardar, Spectre, and Jakiro.
- Fixed loss of vision while reincarnating.
- Fixed Aegis not working on him once he levels up Reincarnation.
- Fixed Vampiric Aura on mechanical units.
- Fixed Vampiric Aura on denies.
- Enabled Broodmother, Skeleton King and Queen of Pain in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Reincarnation to trigger first if he also has Aegis.
- Fixed bug that could result in invisible Lina and Skeleton Kings.
- Characters with a 0.4 turn rate such as Skeleton King and Earthshaker now turn around faster.
- Base Intelligence increased by 5.
- Removed Mortal Strike active.
- Vampiric Aura now provides full effectiveness on ranged units.
- Slow increased from 30% to 50%.
- Slow AoE increased from 700 to 900.
- Slow now affects attack speed as well.
- Slow happens immediately upon death rather than after reincarnating.
- Critical Strike Reworked
- Has a passive and active component. Passively gives you a chance to land a critical strike. Can be cast to temporarily steal HP from a target enemy hero. When the active is used, the critical strike is temporarily disabled for the drain duration.
- Passive Crit Damage: 1.25/1.75/2.25/2.75
- Passive Crit Chance: 15%
- HP Drain: 20% of Max (Not Lethal)
- Drain duration: 7
- Cast Range: 550
- Manacost: 30
- Cooldown: 25
Note: This doesn't affect max hp, just temporarily drains then returns it.
- Hellfire Blast slow increased from 15% to 20%.
- Slow duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds.
- Cooldown decreased from 300/220/140 to 260/160/60.
- Now does a 700 AoE 3 second 30% slow around the area where he respawns.
- Delay decreased from 5/4.5/4 to 3 seconds.
- Hellfire Blast damage redistributed to some on impact and some dps.
- Scoreboard now displays Skeleton King's ultimate cooldown time.
- Skeleton King will be automatically selected for you after he reincarnates.
- Vampiric Aura lifesteal improved from 10/16/22/28% to 15/20/25/30%.
- Reincarnation manacost increased from 100 to 140.
- Reworked Hellfire Blast
- Old Hellfire Blast:
- Stun Duration: 2
- Damage: 100/150/200/250
- Cooldown: 8
- Manacost: 140
- New Hellfire Blast:
- Ignites the target on fire, dealing damage over time. Stuns the target for a brief period followed by a movement speed reduction.
- Stun Duration: 2
- Slow Duration: 2
- Slow Amount: 15%
- Damage per second: 30/45/60/75
- Cooldown: 8
- Manacost: 140
- Note: The dps duration is the full 4 seconds.
- Vampiric Aura AoE increased from 600 to 900.
- Reincarnation now costs a constant 100 manacost instead of 100/150/200.
- Vampiric Aura increased from 5/10/15/20% to 10/16/22/28%.
Low Violence model