22 + 2.9
18 + 1.7
18 + 1.6
Ostarion the Wraith King is a melee strength hero, a carry and tank capable of both dealing and taking plenty of damage. His infamous Reincarnation allows the Wraith King to rise again after death, acting like an Aegis of the Immortal, making him especially difficult to kill. But if left alive, the Wraith King can wreak havoc upon his enemies; his Wraithfire Blast provides reliable damage and a stun on a short cooldown, Vampiric Aura grants his team sizeable lifesteal, and Mortal Strike helps make short work of foes.
| Ostarion, the Wraith King
| Play "Purer than flesh, stronger than bone, imperishable is the essence of the wraith."
|| Carry / Support / Durable / Disabler / Initiator
|| For untold years, King Ostarion built a kingdom from the remains of his enemies. It was an obsessive's errand, done to pass the long eternities of a monarchy that seemed fated never to end. He believed that as long as he built up the towers of his palace, he could not die. But eventually he learned that he had been deluded... that bone itself could perish. Deeply mistrustful of flesh, he sought a more permanent way of extending his reign, and at last settled on pursuit of wraith energy, a form of pure spirit given off by certain dark souls at death. Should he infuse himself with Wraith Essence, he thought he might create a body as luminous and eternal as his ego. On the millennial solstice known as Wraith-Night, he submitted to a rite of transformation, compelling his subjects to harvest enough souls to fuel his ambition for immortality. No one knows how many of his champions died, for the only survivor who mattered was the Wraith King who rose with the sun on the following morn. Now he rarely spends a moment on his glowing throne--but strides out with sword drawn, demanding a fealty that extends far beyond death.
|| Dave Fennoy (Responses)
Wraith King is a durable core with a reliable stun. As his ultimate, Reincarnation, effectively doubles his health in a teamfight, he is commonly built as a tank carry. He is traditionally popular among new players for his survivability and potentially simple playstyle. However, Wraith King can also be played at a high level of skill, particularly by using active items. For example, well-timed Tread switching can make his expensive stun much cheaper in the early game.
- Wraithfire Blast travels at a speed of 1000 and can be disjointed.
- The stun and slow are applied at the same time, so overall, the slow lasts for 4 seconds.
- Deals the base damage instantly upon hitting, and the damage over time in 1 second intervals, starting immediatly after the stun.
- Can be toggled on to make it only affect heroes. Treats creep-heroes as heroes.
- The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- The lifesteal particle effects do not appear when Wraith King is not visible to the enemy.
- The sound and particles play upon start of the attack, not when the attack lands.
- Increases attack damage by an average of 7.5%/15%/22.5%/30%.
- Reincarnation cannot be prevented in any way as long as Wraith King has enough mana and the ability is off cooldown.
- Revives with full health and mana. Spells and items are not refreshed.
- Provides 1800/800 ground vision at the death location during its delay.
- If Wraith King has an Aegis of the Immortal, Reincarnation triggers first, considering it is off cooldown and Wraith King has sufficent mana.
- The slow is applied at the beginning of the revival, not at the end.
- The aura affects allied heroes exclusively including Wraith King himself. It does not affect illusions or creep-heroes.
- Wraith Delay does not affect invulnerable or hidden heroes, so they die without getting into Wraith form when killed.
- An ally enters Play Wraith form when their health reaches 1, unless they are affected by Shallow Grave or have Reincarnation or Aegis of the Immortal ready.
- Units in Wraith form are kept alive with the Pre-Heal mechanic, which prevents the heroes' health from dropping below 1 without directly reducing incoming damage.
- When an ally suicides with Suicide Squad, Attack! or Bloodstone, it does not enter Wraith form. However, an ally in Wraith form cannot suicide with those.
- When Meepo or one of his clones gets killed outside of the aura's range while 1 of them is within range, he does not enter Wraith form either.
- However, when a Meepo clone dies within the aura's range, that Meepo enters Wraith form, delaying the death.
- Multiple Meepoes can be in Wraith form at the same time. When the one who entered it first expires, or another Meepo gets killed outside the aura's range, Meepo dies.
- Allies in Wraith form can act freely like regular heroes, but are also still affected by everything like a regular hero, except that they cannot die during it by any means.
- This means they can still be attacked and targeted by spells regularly, making it possible to disable them.
- It also means that, upon entering Wraith form, all buffs and debuffs affecting the hero persist through it. They are not dispelled.
- When the Wraith duration ends, the hero dies. The kill is credited to whoever put the hero in Wraith form.
- Once in Wraith form, the hero cannot be saved by any means. It will die once the duration is over, even while invulnerable or under the effect of e.g. Shallow Grave.
- If the hero gains reincarnation during Wraith form, it still triggers regularly and reincarnates the hero.
- Wraith form causes the hero's model size to increase by 25% for its duration. This has no impact on its collision size.
- Unlike other auras, the Wraith Delay aura is bestowed to nearby allies while Wraith King is dead.
- Magic Wand provides the same kind of benefit as the Magic Stick does, but it also provides a small amount of attributes. It makes great use of the earlier bought branches, making room for new items.
- Power Treads increases Ostarion's damage per second; attribute switching can also make his limited mana pool go much further if the treads are switched to intelligence.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is Ostarion's main DPS item. It is also easy to negate the health drain with the help of Vampiric Aura.
- Desolator makes Ostarion's physical attacks to hit harder, especially against targets with already low armor. Vampiric Aura also benefits greatly from it, as it heals based on dealt damage after armor reduction.
- Black King Bar negates Ostarion's main weakness: being chain-stunned and then burst down after Reincarnation. Furthermore, as long as he isn't disabled, he can keep hitting enemies, healing himself up with his aura.
- Assault Cuirass increases Ostarion's damage output by increasing his attack speed and further reducing enemy armor. The aura from this item also increases his team's armor and attack speed. Since Wraith King usually survives longer, the item's aura provides more impact.
- Abyssal Blade not only gives Ostarion some health and a decent attack damage boost, it also gives his attacks a chance to bash and, on top of Wraithfire Blast, another active stun which also pierces spell immunity, which is very handy as he is easy to run away from if his own stun is on cooldown.
- Heart of Tarrasque gives Ostarion a great health, health regeneration and attack damage boost, making him even harder to kill and harder to ignore.
- Heaven's Halberd gives Ostarion some evasion against enemies which rely on their physical attacks, and lets him cut off an enemy carry from their primary source of damage for a while.
- Monkey King Bar increases Ostarion's attack damage, counters enemies with evasion abilities or items such as Butterfly or Heaven's Halberd, and provides him with a high chance to interrupt channeling spells when Wraithfire Blast is not an option.
- Divine Rapier is an excellent item for Ostarion to get due to it not dropping if Reincarnation activates upon death, thus making it less likely for him to lose it. When having the Aegis of the Immortal, Ostarion has to die 3 times to lose the Rapier. The great damage boost also makes him last longer, as it makes him lifesteal a lot more with his aura.
- Because Ostarion can be kited and countered that way, a Blink Dagger can remedy this problem as well as help him with positioning.
- Aghanim's Scepter is a useful item for Ostarion if he is playing a support character, as it makes him able to elongate his teammate's lives, potentially getting more kills or other objectives. It also provides overall decent stats.
- Moon Shard is able to be consumed by Ostarion, granting him more attack speed and allowing him an effectively higher chance to proc Mortal Strike.
- Wraithfire Blast is a decent nuke early on, which also allows Ostarion to disable and slow at the same time. A perfect tool for ganks and team fights, it has a relatively low cooldown, but its relatively high mana cost does not allow it to be used frequently. It should be saved for when it is really needed.
- It is generally best to have Wraithfire Blast maxed first as both of Ostarion's passives are not very effective in the laning stage, since both are based on attack damage.
- Reincarnation has quite a high mana cost for a Wraith King's rather low mana pool and regeneration. It is best to always keep his mana pool high enough for Reincarnation to trigger, or to make sure that enough charges of his Magic Stick are present incase of an emergency.
- Another possible solution to this problem is to have a Soul Ring, since it grants enough mana to sustain Reincarnation's mana cost when already having at least some left-over mana, unless the enemies have mana burning capabilities. The health loss from Soul Ring's active ability is usually not a problem thanks to Vampiric Aura.
- Due to Wraith King's sustainability, he usually should initiate fights and tank up some damage first. Sometimes, it is great to even die first, triggering Reincarnation which heavily slows every nearby enemy. At this point, the enemies usually either prepare to take him down again, or try to escape when they can't take him down a second time. This is the perfect opportunity for Wraith King's team to follow up and catch the enemies off-guard.
- Besides these, dying as last as Wraith King basically just wastes his Reincarnation, since he cannot do much on his own after respawning besides dying a second time right away.
- Refresher Orb is highly situational, as it allows Ostarion to potentially use Reincarnation twice in a fight allowing him to deal damage for a longer period of time.
- Picking up the Aegis of the Immortal after killing Roshan is an excellent idea. It essentially gives Wraith King a 3rd life, though Reincarnation activates first as long as he has sufficient mana. If his mana is too low for Reincarnation, Aegis activates first instead.
- Mjollnir should be considered if Wraith King is counter picked by illusions and mana burn, as the Chain Lightning and Static Shield is effective against them, as well as giving Wraith King some protection and retaliation when he initiates. However, if illusions are the only problem, a Battle Fury is a better choice as it gives health and mana regeneration as well as extra creep damage for Vampiric Aura.
- When going for a Black King Bar, it should usually be used after having used Reincarnation, since enemies can surround him and prepare during the reincarnation delay and disable him before he can even do anything.
- Blink Dagger is a great pickup in Wraith King since he don't have any teleportation or movespeed skills to close the gap on enemies, and Blink Dagger allows you to blink into the fights and stun the most fragile enemy with Wraithfire Blast, or to escape in tricky situations.
- Prior to December 13th of 2013, Ostarion, the Wraith King was known as Ostarion, the Skeleton King.
- On December 10th of 2013, Skeleton King was removed from the game for "pressing ceremonial reasons". After the Wraith Night event, he returned as the Wraith King.
- His model was completely reworked from the previous skeleton model to the current model. His color theme was changed from red to green and all his icons were changed accordingly.
- He also got a new voice set, by the same voice actor who also voiced Skeleton King previously. Skeleton King's responses can be found here.
- In DotA1, Wraith King's (who is still known as the Skeleton King in DotA1) name is Leoric. This is a reference to the Skeleton King of Diablo who is also named Leoric. In transition to Dota2, his name was changed to Ostarion to avoid copyright issues.
- Copyright issues may also be a reason to why Skeleton King was remodeled and re-titled into Wraith King. Another likely factor for the remodeling was to solve many cosmetic item conflicts with the low-violence model which was made for the Perfect World client. A low-violence model was required for Skeleton King due to strict policies in China against the usage of skeletons in video games.
- Wraith King's responses for buying Armlet of Mordiggian Play "I NOW HAVE ALL THE SEXY", buying a Divine Rapier Play "Oh, Rapier. NOW YOUR KING IS BALLING OUT OF CONTROL!" and his battle begin line Play "I'LL HELP MY WEAK AND PUNY ALLIES WHERE I CAN." are a reference to a popular DotA hero guide called "CAPS LOCK LEORIC".
- In several responses, he refers to himself as the "Once and Future King", which is also a title for the legendary King Arthur.
- One of Wraith King's lines is "We'll lead as three kings" when he activates an illusion rune. This line has close reference to the song "City Hall" by Tenacious D with the line "We'll lead as two kings".
December 24, 2015 Patch
May 08, 2014 Patch
- Added a chest slot to Wraith King.
December 13, 2013 Patch
- Wraith King has risen!
December 10, 2013 Patch
- Skeleton King: Removed for pressing ceremonial reasons.
June 14, 2013 Patch
June 05, 2013 Patch
November 30, 2012 Patch
February 16, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Skeleton King.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Skeleton King.
December 16, 2011 Patch
- Buying an item while dead no longer puts it in the main inventory. Fixes an exploit of buying items while dead with Aegis or as Skeleton King and respawning with the item.
November 17, 2011 Patch
November 03, 2011 Patch
- Fixed loss of vision while reincarnating.
October 27, 2011 Patch
October 20, 2011 Patch
July 01, 2011 Patch
June 10, 2011 Patch
- Fixed bug that could result in invisible Lina and Skeleton King.
January 18, 2011 Patch
- Characters with a 0.4 turn rate such as Skeleton King and Earthshaker now turn around faster.
- Vampiric Aura can now be toggled on, to make it only affect heroes.
- Increased base attack damage from 32-34 to 39-41 (total attack damage from 54-56 to 61-63).
- Vampiric Aura's lifesteal particle effects no longer draw when the enemy has no vision over Wraith King.
- Wraith Delay aura is now also bestowed while Wraith King is dead.
- Increased Wraith Delay duration from 5 to 7.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Wraith King: Adds an aura to Reincarnation. Allies who are within 1200 radius become Wraiths for 5 seconds when slain, delaying their death. Wraiths can attack, move, use spells and items.
- Increased Mortal Strike crit damage from 125%/175%/225%/275% to 150%/200%/250%/300%.
- Reduced base armor from 1 to 0 (total armor is now 2.52).
- Increased slow from 50% to 75%.
- Increased slow duration from 4 to 5.
- Increased base intelligence from 13 to 18.
- Vampiric Aura now also works fully for ranged allied units, instead of being melee only.
- Removed the active component from Mortal Strike.
- Increased slow from 30% to 50%.
- Increased slow radius from 700 to 900.
- Mortal Strike:
- Passively gives Wraith King a chance to land a critical strike. Can be cast to temporarily steal health from a target enemy hero. When the active is used, the critical strike is temporarily disabled for the drain duration.
- Passive crit chance: 15%
- Passive crit damage: 125%/175%/225%/275%
- Max health drained: 20% (HP Removal, not lethal)
- Drain duration: 7
- Cast Range: 550
- Cooldown: 25
- Manacost: 30
- Note: This does not affect the target's or Wraith King's maximum health, just temporarily drains health based on the target's maximum health and then returns it.
- Increased slow duration from 3 to 4.
- Reduced cooldown from 300/220/140 to 260/160/60.
- Undid melee hero collision change from 6.72c
- Melee hero collision size now reduced from 24 to 12.
- Deals 30/45/60/75 damage in 1 second intervals over 4 seconds (total damage: 130/180/240/300)
- Deals 50/100/150/200 damage on impact, followed by 15/30/40/50 damage per second, starting right after the stun wears off for 2 seconds (total damage: 80/160/230/300)
- Now shows its remaining cooldown on the scoreboard.
- Now always automatically selects Wraith King for the player after reincarnating.
- Old Hellfire Blast:
- Throws a firy projectile at a target, damaging and stunning it.
- Damage: 100/150/200/250
- Stun Duration: 2
- Cooldown: 8
- Manacost: 140
- New Hellfire Blast:
- Throws a firy projectile at the target, stunning it on impact, dealing damage over time and slowing it for a shor while.
- Damage over time: 30/45/60/75
- Stun Duration: 2
- Movement speed slow: 15%
- Slow Duration: 2
- Cooldown: 8
- Manacost: 140
- Note: The damage over time is dealt for 4 seconds (total damage: 130/180/240/300). First stuns the target for 2 seconds, then slows it for 2 seconds.
- Reduced cast animation from 0.51 to 0.35.
- Inreased base armor from 0 to 1 (total armor is now 2.82).
- Reduced Reincarnation cooldown from 300/240/190 to 300/220/140.
- Reduced Hellfire Blast damage from 125/175/225/300 to 100/150/200/250.
- Reduced attack point from unknown to 0.56.
- The current Mortal Strike was reworked into this version in 6.78, and reverted back to the current version in 6.79.
- The sound and particles play upon start of the attack, not when the attack lands.
- Does not affect the target's and Skeleton King's maximum health. It only drains health based on a percentage of the target's maximum health.
- Only the critical strike from Mortal Strike is disabled for the duration. Other sources of crit still fully work.
- This ability got reworked into the current Hellfire Blast (later renamed into Wraithfire Blast) in the 6.68 gameplay patch.
- Hellfire Blast travels at a speed of 1000 and can be disjointed.
Splash artwork of Wraith King
Concept art or Wraith King
Splash artwork including Skeleton King
Icons and bio of the Skeleton King. For the responses, see here.