Nortrom, the Silencer, is a ranged intelligence hero who can be played as a support, carry, or initiator. He is one of the few intelligence heroes that truly benefit from intelligence items and is effective against heroes that rely mostly on spells, as he can silence them while stealing their intelligence and adding it to his own. He is a notorious anti-caster hero who can disrupt the magical abilities of his enemies and cripple spellcasters throughout the game. Arcane Curse slows and causes enemies to lose health for a set duration, but increases with each spell the enemy casts, forcing them to either wait and cast no spell until it expires, or cast spells and prolong the debuff and thus take more damage. Last Word places a curse on Nortrom's target that damages and silences for a long duration if the target casts a spell. If the target does not cast a spell before the curse duration ends the effects are the same. Glaives of Wisdom is an active attack modifier that deals a percentage of Nortrom's intelligence as pure damage. Nortrom's ultimate, Global Silence, silences all enemy units on the map for a few seconds. A well-timed Global Silence can be used to save yourself or an ally, initiate a teamfight, or ruin the enemy's initiation.
Silencer has the unique innate ability, Intelligence Steal, which permanently steals the intelligence of enemy heroes that die near him or are directly killed by him and adds it to his own. This rewards his presence in teamfights, also making his glaives ever stronger as the battle goes on.
Bio[edit | edit source]
|Nortrom, the Silencer|
|Play "I'll hear their screams, nothing more."|
|Role:||Carry / Support / Disabler / Initiator / Nuker|
|Lore:||Part of the seventh and final generation of a carefully designed pedigree, Nortrom was bred by the ancient order of the Aeol Drias to be the greatest magic user the world had ever seen. He was the prophesied one, the culmination of two-hundred years of careful pairings, a war-mage who would bring glory to the order, and destruction to their sworn enemies, The Knights of the Fold. Raised with other young mages in a hidden cantonment among the hills of the Hazhadal barrens, the order's preceptors waited for Nortrom’s abilities to manifest. While the other students honed their talents with fire, or ice, or incantatory spells, Nortrom sat silent and talentless, unable to cast so much as a hex. As the day of final testing approached, he still hadn’t found his magic. In disgust, the preceptors berated him, while the children laughed. “You are no mage,” the head of the order declared. Still, Nortrom did not slink away. He entered the day of testing and faced down the young mages who had mocked him. And then his preceptors learned a valuable lesson: a lack of magic can be the greatest magic of all. Nortrom silenced the young mages one by one and defeated them in single combat, until he alone stood as champion of the Aeol Drias, in fulfillment of the prophecy.|
|Voice:||Michael Gregory (Responses)|
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- This is an innate ability and does not need to be skilled. It is not bound to any ability, but to Silencer himself.
- Stolen intelligence is directly removed from the enemy's base intelligence and added to Silencer's base intelligence.
- Can only steal from base intelligence + intelligence gained from levels. Bonus intelligence cannot be stolen.
- It does not matter how an enemy hero within the radius dies, Silencer always steals its intelligence.
- Silencer always steals intelligence when he deals the killing blow on an enemy hero, regardless of distance.
- However, Silencer needs to be alive as the kill happens to steal the intelligence.
- Cannot steal intelligence from illusions or hero clones.
- When Silencer kills a Meepo clone however, he does steal intelligence, since killing a Meepo clone also kills the main Meepo.
- Cannot reduce enemy base intelligence below 1. Silencer also does not gain intelligence from heroes that are at 1 intelligence.
- The status buff, however, increases by 2 on every kill or nearby death.
- Whenever an affected unit casts a spell, the duration is increased by 4. This effect has no stack limit.
- If an affected unit gets silenced, the duration and the damage are paused until the silence expires.
- However, the slow is not paused while silenced and still slows affected enemies.
- Successive casts of Arcane Curse fully stack, always placing an independent debuff.
- Damages in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 6 (+4 per penalty) instances.
- Can deal up to 84/132/180/228 (+56/88/120/152 per penalty) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- The sound effect played on every damage instance is only audible to the affected unit's player.
- Glaives of Wisdom can be disjointed.
- Glaives of Wisdom deal their damage in a separate damage instance. So they are unaffected by any attack modifying effect.
- Glaives of Wisdom deal their damage before the attack damage is applied, but still depend on the attack hitting the target.
- Checks Silencer's intelligence as the projectile hits. Gaining/losing intelligence while the projectile is travelling does affect its damage.
- When the target casts a spell during the initial debuff, it gets damaged, then the cast spell goes off, and then the silence is applied.
- Does not trigger on toggle abilities, active attack modifiers and the abilities listed here.
- Triggers on channeling spells, but waits for the channeling to stop first.
- Last Word does trigger on Phase Shift. However, it only applies its effects when Phase Shift is canceled manually.
- When Recall is cast while having the debuff on, it freezes and does not trigger until another spell is cast.
- When the initial debuff expires, it still damages and silences the target.
- Grants shared vision as long as the 4 second initial debuff is on.
- The debuff, although no longer serving a purpose, is still applied and visible in the HUD.
- The silence affects spell immune, invisible and invulnerable creeps, summons and heroes. Does not affect hidden units.
- The curse placed by the ultimate works similar to Silencer's Arcane Curse
- If Arcane Curse is not learned, Global Silence does not apply it by any means.
- The curse debuff has a 7 seconds duration still, regardless of how long Global Silence itself lasts.
- Due to Arcane Curse being paused while affected units are silenced, its duration starts ticking once the silence expires.
- Unlike a manually cast Arcane Curse, the one applied by Global Silence affects spell immune and invulnerable units
- However, the curse is only applied on heroes (including illusions) and not on any non-hero unit.
- The sound effect of Global Silence which plays on each enemies hero has the highest sound priority in the game.
- This means it heavily tones down other game sounds for enemies, making it basically the only sound they can hear during the silence.
Talents[edit | edit source]
|+25% Arcane Curse Slow||25||+200 Attack Range|
|+12% Magic Resistance||20||+30 Attack Speed|
|+60 Gold/Min||15||+200 Health|
|+7 Intelligence||10||+4 Armor|
- The armor is added as bonus armor, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The attack range talent also affects the cast range of Glaives of Wisdom.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- One each of Tango and Healing Salve are minimum regen requirements to stay in lane without being harassed out. As a support, Silencer can also share the benefits of this regen with his carry.
- As he is reliant on casting spells, Clarity is very important for allowing Silencer to harass enemies with Arcane Curse or cast his other spells as needed.
- Choice of early stat items varies depending on Silencer's role. If playing as a carry, Circlet and Mantle of Intelligence give him the most benefit for the inventory space, but if played as a support cheaper items should be substituted as Silencer must spend his starting gold on support items instead.
- Boots of Speed are mandatory on all heroes. In Silencer's case, being able to get close enough to cast his spells is important, as he can potentially get kills or assists to proc Intelligence Steal.
- Wind Lace is useful if playing support for a small move speed boost if starting gold is spent on support items. Additionally, it can be further built into Eul's Scepter of Divinity.
- Magic Wand has all the benefits of Magic Stick, along with providing stats and greater charge storage. As Silencer is quite vulnerable to enemy attacks even as a carry, burst HP regen is always helpful.
- Null Talisman is a cheap stat item that provides good attributes for the gold spent on it. Increasing his intelligence is important for giving him base damage, increasing the size of his mana pool, and gaining more bonus damage from Glaives of Wisdom.
- Power Treads are important for providing Silencer with stats, particularly strength to give him more HP, no matter if he's a carry or support. The ability to switch attributes can help with spell casting or damage output, and the attack speed is highly beneficial when playing as a carry.
- Orchid Malevolence is a powerful item to build on a carry Silencer. The intelligence gives him a bigger mana pool and increases the effectiveness of Glaives of Wisdom, the attack speed and damage give him more physical damage output, and the mana regen allows him to ignore the mana cost of Glaives of Wisdom. Soul Burn is especially powerful as Silencer lacks a directly targeted silence in his spells, and it can be used in conjunction with his other abilities, both to allow Arcane Curse to last for its full duration and to extend the silence portion of Last Word up to 11 seconds.
- Mekansm is a very good support item that gives Silencer the ability to contribute more in teamfights, as it gives him stats and armor alongside the heal. While a carry Silencer often needs to build more powerful items instead, Mekansm is beneficial for a carry Silencer as well.
- Town Portal Scroll is a mandatory requirement on all heroes. As Silencer benefits greatly from showing up to teamfights due to his disables and Intelligence Steal, at least one should be carried at all times.
- Scythe of Vyse provides a strong disable, and helps with Silencer's lack of hard disables. The stats it provides are very beneficial, giving him more intelligence and HP as well as powerful mana regen to sustain his spells. It is a good item to build whether as a support or carry.
- Rod of Atos is an inexpensive utility item that provides both Intelligence and HP, and is great for Silencer if he needs early survivability. The slow is also great for catching enemies out of position, or holding them in place so that you can cut them down with Glaives of Wisdom.
- Shiva's Guard greatly increases Silencer's survivability against physical damage while also granting him more intelligence to fuel his spells and attacks, making it a powerful carry item. The slow can also be used to chase down fleeing enemies more easily.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a very powerful utility item, particularly on a support Silencer. The increased movement speed and mana regen allows Silencer to be more active on the map, while Cyclone can disable enemies, remove debuffs from yourself and make yourself temporarily invulnerable.
- Black King Bar greatly increases Silencer's survivability, particularly as a carry. It gives him more HP and right-click damage, and the spell immunity prevents him from being disabled before he can cast his spells to disable the enemy instead.
- Aghanim's Scepter adds Arcane Curse to Global Silence, adding a slow effect to every enemy for the duration and damage when it ends. This Curse fully stacks with the castable Arcane Curse, and stacks with itself should you also have a Refresher Orb. The item itself also grants Silencer many beneficial stats across the board, giving him more survivability overall.
- When played as a support, Silencer should carry at least some of the support duties. This means assisting the team's other supports in purchasing the Animal Courier, starting Observer Ward, upgrading to the Flying Courier, and so on.
- Bottle can be beneficial on Silencer if he is played as a mid carry, as his harass spells do not cost large amounts of mana. The health regen also allows him to stay longer in lane.
- Blink Dagger is a powerful mobility tool, no matter what role Silencer is played in. As a support he can easily position himself to cast his disables on the enemy, as well as use it to evade enemy ganks. As a carry, it gives him strong positioning, allowing him to move quickly into a fight to attack after disabling the enemy with his ultimate. Or to simply blink in to steal intelligence from dying enemy Heroes.
- Ghost Scepter is highly beneficial on a support Silencer, who does not rely on his right-clicks in order to be effective. Becoming immune to physical damage allows Silencer to get his spells off more easily, and buys him time if the enemy's carry jumps on him. This can be upgraded to Ethereal Blade which gives him agility for more attack speed and armor, and if Silencer has stolen a substantial amount of intelligence, Silencer can easily nuke down weakened or low-leveled Heroes with its active Ether Blast. And if Ether Blast is used in tandem with a Dagon Silencer further increases his killing power, provided he has stolen plenty of intelligence.
- Heaven's Halberd is a powerful survivability item that can either be used for utility on a support Silencer or more staying power as a carry Silencer. The extra HP and evasion give Silencer more survivability against physical damage, and the active can be used to disarm a target on top of silences, rendering enemies completely unable to do anything.
- Diffusal Blade is an unorthodox item to build on Silencer but serves him extremely well as a carry. The agility gives him much more attack speed and some armor, and the intelligence firms up his mana pool and increases Glaives of Wisdom's effectiveness. However, the main utility is that the mana burn stacks with Glaives of Wisdom, allowing Silencer to deal large amounts of Pure damage and destroy the enemy's mana with each attack, creating powerful synergy all the silences Silencer has, so that he can burn their mana with attacks, before they can spend it. The active ability is also very useful in removing buffs from enemies while holding them in place to eviscerate them with your right-clicks.
- Force Staff is important on Silencer whether he is played as a carry or support. As a support, it provides mobility that helps mitigate his frailty and allows him to close the distance quickly to cast spells, while also giving him HP regen and some intelligence to give him more mana. As a carry, it also increases the effectiveness of Glaives of Wisdom.
- Also, it allows a nice build up to Hurricane Pike, providing both increased attack range offensively and defensively. The shorter cooldown can be combined with Rod of Atos to allow extremely reliable escapes.
- Mjollnir is a situational weapon to build on a carry Silencer. While it is a Unique Attack Modifier, it does not completely override Glaives of Wisdom, only when it procs, allowing Silencer to continue to deal Pure damage with his attacks while throwing chained magical damage into the mix. The vastly increased attack speed allows Silencer to output a lot of damage with his physical attacks, and the shield can be used on himself to deal out even more physical damage or on a highly durable ally who can tank on the front lines.
- Refresher Orb can be a powerful utility item to purchase on a support Silencer if the enemy is mostly reliant on their usage of spells in a fight. The ability to inflict up to 12 seconds of silence to the enemy in a teamfight, through spell immunity and invulnerability, can prevent them from retaliating effectively against your team, securing a victory.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Audio[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Unlike most heroes, Silencer's attack projectiles actually use the model of his equipped cosmetic weapon.
- Like Death Prophet, Omniknight and Io, Silencer received a color palette change, changing his model and icons, having his former red armor replaced with violet.
- Before his palette change, newer players would occasionally mistake Silencer for Dragon Knight, and he would sometimes be referred to as "The other Dragon Knight". Even after the palette swap, some older players may refer to him as "Purple Dragon Knight".
- Silencer's spell sound effects are based on some of his voice lines. Arcane Curse debuff sounds is based on "Play Curse you!", Last Word is based on one of his laughing lines and Global Silence is based on Play this.
- Chen is a member of the Knights of the Fold which would make him an enemy to Silencer based on Silencer's background. Despite this, there is no dialogue between the two heroes.