Nortrom the Silencer is a ranged Intelligence hero who can be played as a Support, Carry or Initiator. He is one of the minority of Intelligence heroes who truly benefits from Intelligence items and is effective against Heroes who rely mostly on spells, as he can silence them while stealing their Intelligence and adding it to his own. He is a notorious anti-caster hero who can disrupt the magical abilities of his enemies and cripple spellcasters throughout the game. Curse of the Silent causes enemies to lose health and mana until the end of the duration or until the enemy casts a spell. Last Word places a curse on Nortrom's target that damages and silences for a long duration if the target casts a spell. If the target does not cast a spell before the curse's duration ends they will be damaged, silenced, and disarmed. Glaives of Wisdom is a Unique Attack Modifier that deals a percentage of Nortrom's intelligence as pure damage. Nortrom's ultimate, Global Silence, silences all enemy units on the map for a few seconds. A well-timed Global Silence can be used to save yourself or an ally, initiate a teamfight, or ruin the enemy's initiation.
While it used to be a passive component of Glaives of Wisdom, Silencer himself now has an innate passive ability. Intelligence Steal permanently steals the intelligence of enemy heroes that die near him and adds it to his own. This rewards his presence in teamfights, also making his Glaives ever stronger as the battle goes on.
 Recommended items
- The large radius on Curse of the Silent makes him a very strong harasser.
- Curse of the Silent is great against heroes like Tiny or Pudge that require a lot of mana to cast their spells very early on.
- Take at least one level of Glaives of Wisdom early game. This can be used to harass by Orb Walking.
- Silencer can be considered a counter-initiate hero, because of his high disruption with Global Silence. Use this knowledge to completely cripple enemies that could do anything dangerous to your team.
- Against heroes that have low mana cost abilities, it's best to let them expend mana before you cast Curse of the Silent, as it is your main source of damage early game.
- Silencer is able to become a carry via high intelligence coupled with Glaives of Wisdom, whether he gains that intelligence by kills or by items.
- Last Word, now an active skill, curses his target to be faced with unfortunate consequences, if they cast a spell during the debuff duration, they will be silenced and damaged, this is perfect for breaking the spell combo of his enemies like Tiny and Tinker. If they don't cast a spell until the duration. they will still be silenced and damaged, but they will also be disarmed, this works well with Curse of the Silent and Global Silence, and it's crucial for enemy carries who rely on their physical attacks, as they can't attack or even cast spells for a long time.
- Last Word effectively gives the enemy a choice - cast a spell, likely wasting mana due to bad timing or a lack of player-targets for the spell, or don't cast a spell - and be disarmed in addition to the silence.
- A Dagon can be purchased by Silencer, adding powerful burst damage to his arsenal and increasing his intelligence. This along with Silencer's other nukes can easily kill most enemies early game.
- If Silencer is fighting against Outworld Devourer, it is possible that Outworld Devourer's Sanity's Eclipse will be ineffective against Silencer as long as Silencer's Intelligence can surpass Outworld Devourer's due to his innate Intelligence steal.
- Silencer on his own is not an initiator; if you try to initiate with Global Silence alone, the enemy team will simply walk away and wait out the silence. However, Global Silence can synergize extremely well with almost any initiator. When someone on your team initiates (or immediately before), activate Global Silence. The other team will be helpless as you collapse on them.
- Silencer's Global Silence and Last Word are great for tying down heroes that rely on abilities to evade (Weaver, Storm Spirit, Queen of Pain, etc.).
- Unlike most heroes, Silencer's attack projectiles actually use the model of his equipped cosmetic weapon.
 Update history
- Enabled Silencer in Captain's Mode for Latest Version (will be enabled in Tournament Version the following week).
- Updated the textures for Death Prophet, Silencer, Drow Ranger, and Wisp.
- Updated the ability icons for Death Prophet, Silencer, and Wisp to match texture changes.
- Fixed Illusions stealing intelligence.
- [Undocumented] Drow Ranger and Silencer are no longer available in Captain's Mode.
- [Undocumented] Broken down a number of existing hero models into multiple parts Death Prophet, Enchantress, Huskar, Silencer, Sniper, Storm Spirit, Venomancer and Weaver.
- Fixed Invoke proccing Last Word.
- Fixed Curse of the Silent affecting Warlock's Golem and Spirit Bear.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- Fixed Global Silences affecting couriers abilities.
- Added intelligence steal counter to Last Word aura.
- Fixed Glaives of Wisdom being usable while silenced.
- Fixed Glaives of Wisdom being usable while silenced.
- Fixed being unable to steal Int from dying magic immune heroes.
- Fixed Last Word silencing invulnerable units.
- Fixed stealing intelligence from Reincarnating heroes.
- Fixed Global Silence silencing only heroes.
- Enabled Silencer and Spirit Breaker in Captain's Mode.
- Added Spirit Breaker and Silencer.
 Balance changelog
- Global Silence cooldown reduced from 140 to 130.
- Intelligence Steal is an innate part of the hero rather than an element of Glaives of Wisdom.
- Global Silence now affects sleeping units.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter (Applies the current level of Curse of the Silent to all units and increases ultimate duration by one second).
- Last Word manacost increased from 100 to 115.
- Base Intelligence increased by 6.
- Base Damage reduced by 6.
- Curse of the Silent
- Duration rescaled from 5/6/7/8 to 6.
- HP drain rescaled from 20/30/40/50 to 20/35/50/65.
- Mana drain rescaled from 10/15/20/25 to 8/16/24/32.
- Int steal moved from Last Word back to Glaives of Wisdom.
- Now steals Intelligence from outside of the AoE if Silencer gets the kill.
- AoE increased from 850 to the standard 900 range.
- Last Word replaced with new active skill:
- Targets an enemy unit placing a debuff on it. While the debuff is active, casting any spell causes the target to become silenced and take damage. If the duration of the debuff runs out without the target casting a spell, it will still take damage and be silenced but also be disarmed.
- Debuff Duration: 5
- Damage: 150/200/250/300
- Silence/Disarm Duration: 3/4/5/6
- Cast Range: 900
- Cooldown: 36/28/20/12
- Manacost: 100
- Note: You have basic vision over the last word target while the initial buff is on them.
- Global Silence
- Cooldown decreased from 160 to 140.
- Duration increased from 3/4.5/6 to 4/5/6.
- Strength growth increased from 1.7 to 2.2.
- Last Word now always steals 2 intelligence if an enemy hero dies in its AoE.
- Global Silence duration increased from 3/4/5 to 3/4.5/6.
- Glaives of Wisdom damage increased from 30/40/50/60% to 30/45/60/75%.
- Last Word
- Now functions while Silencer is stunned/silenced.
- No longer triggers when enemies use items.
- Movement speed increased from 290 to 300.
- Curse of the Silent cast range decreased from 900 to 800.
- Glaives of Wisdom cooldown removed.
- Last Word
- Now muted when Silencer is stunned (previously it was only when silenced).
- No longer triggers on Spell-Attacks (Frost Arrows, Burning Spears, etc).
- AoE decreased from 900 to 750.
- Now steals a point of intelligence if Silencer gets a killing blow on a hero.
- This is in addition if the hero died within the AoE. So if you kill a hero you will steal 2 intelligence points, otherwise you will steal 1.
 Replaced Abilities
 See also