Nortrom the Silencer is a ranged Intelligence hero who can be played as a Support, Carry or Initiator. He is one of the minority of Intelligence heroes who truly benefits from Intelligence items and is effective against Heroes who rely mostly on spells, as he can silence them while stealing their Intelligence and adding it to his own. He is a notorious anti-caster hero who can disrupt the magical abilities of his enemies and cripple spellcasters throughout the game. Curse of the Silent causes enemies to lose health and mana until the end of the duration or until the enemy casts a spell. Last Word places a curse on Nortrom's target that damages and silences for a long duration if the target casts a spell. If the target does not cast a spell before the curse's duration ends they will be damaged, silenced, and disarmed. Glaives of Wisdom is a Unique Attack Modifier that deals a percentage of Nortrom's intelligence as pure damage. Nortrom's ultimate, Global Silence, silences all enemy units on the map for a few seconds. A well-timed Global Silence can be used to save yourself or an ally, initiate a teamfight, or ruin the enemy's initiation.
Silencer has a unique trait shared only with Earth Spirit in the fact that he has an innate ability: Intelligence Steal permanently steals the intelligence of enemy heroes that die near him and adds it to his own. This rewards his presence in teamfights, also making his Glaives ever stronger as the battle goes on.
 Recommended items
- The large radius on Curse of the Silent makes him a very strong harasser.
- Curse of the Silent is great against heroes like Tiny or Pudge that require a lot of mana to cast their spells very early on.
- Glaives of Wisdom can be used to harass by Orb Walking.
- Silencer can be considered a counter-initiate hero, because of his high disruption with Global Silence. Use this knowledge to completely cripple enemies that could do anything dangerous to your team.
- Against heroes that have low mana cost abilities, it's best to let them expend mana before you cast Curse of the Silent, as it is your main source of damage early game.
- Silencer is able to become a carry via high intelligence coupled with Glaives of Wisdom, whether he gains that intelligence by kills or by items.
- Last Word curses his target to be faced with unfortunate consequences, if they cast a spell during the debuff duration, they will be silenced and damaged, this is perfect for breaking the spell combo of his enemies like Tiny and Tinker. If they don't cast a spell until the duration. they will still be silenced and damaged, but they will also be disarmed, this works well with Curse of the Silent and Global Silence, and it's crucial for enemy carries who rely on their physical attacks, as they can't attack or even cast spells for a long time.
- Last Word also effectively gives the enemy a choice - cast a spell, likely wasting mana due to bad timing or a lack of player-targets for the spell, or don't cast a spell - and be disarmed in addition to the silence.
- A Dagon can be purchased by Silencer, adding powerful burst damage to his arsenal and increasing his intelligence. This along with Silencer's other nukes can easily kill most enemies early game.
- If Silencer is fighting against Outworld Devourer, it is possible that Outworld Devourer's Sanity's Eclipse will be ineffective against Silencer as long as Silencer's Intelligence can surpass Outworld Devourer's due to his innate Intelligence steal.
- Silencer on his own is not an initiator; if you try to initiate with Global Silence alone, the enemy team will simply walk away and wait out the silence. However, Global Silence can synergize extremely well with almost any initiator. When someone on your team initiates (or immediately before), activate Global Silence. The other team will be helpless as you collapse on them.
- Silencer's Global Silence and Last Word are great for tying down heroes that rely on abilities to evade (Weaver, Storm Spirit, Queen of Pain, etc.).
- Unmentioned, and situational, a Refresher Orb can be purchased if the enemy is mostly reliant on their usage of spells in a fight. If a fight occurs, you can silence the enemy at max level up to 12 seconds by using the Refresher Orb to cast your ultimate again (14 with Aghanim's Scepter). Heroes who need their spells to be effective are left useless in team fights.
- If Last Word is used while/before Phoenix uses his Icarus Dive he will not be able to cancel it.
- Amusingly enough, if Silencer has Bloodstone, he will still collect INT while dead, While not being all that much useful, if you get killed in a teamfight before any oppenents die, you can still collect the 10 int.
- Unlike most heroes, Silencer's attack projectiles actually use the model of his equipped cosmetic weapon.
- Like Death Prophet, Omniknight and Io, Silencer received a color palette change, changing his model and icons, having his former red armor replaced with violet.
 Update history
- Enabled Silencer in Captain's Mode for Latest Version (will be enabled in Tournament Version the following week).
- Updated the textures for Death Prophet, Silencer, Drow Ranger, and Wisp.
- Updated the ability icons for Death Prophet, Silencer, and Wisp to match texture changes.
- Fixed Illusions stealing intelligence.
- [Undocumented] Drow Ranger and Silencer are no longer available in Captain's Mode.
- [Undocumented] Broken down a number of existing hero models into multiple parts Death Prophet, Enchantress, Huskar, Silencer, Sniper, Storm Spirit, Venomancer and Weaver.
- Fixed Invoke proccing Last Word.
- Fixed Curse of the Silent affecting Warlock's Golem and Spirit Bear.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- Fixed Global Silences affecting couriers abilities.
- Added intelligence steal counter to Last Word aura.
- Fixed Glaives of Wisdom being usable while silenced.
- Fixed Glaives of Wisdom being usable while silenced.
- Fixed being unable to steal Int from dying magic immune heroes.
- Fixed Last Word silencing invulnerable units.
- Fixed stealing intelligence from Reincarnating heroes.
- Fixed Global Silence silencing only heroes.
- Enabled Silencer and Spirit Breaker in Captain's Mode.
- Added Spirit Breaker and Silencer.
 Balance changelog
- Agility gain increased from 2.1 to 3.0.
- Curse of the Silent cooldown reduced from 20/18/16/14 to 20/16/12/8.
- Global Silence cooldown reduced from 140 to 130.
- Intelligence Steal is an innate part of the hero rather than an element of Glaives of Wisdom.
- Global Silence now affects sleeping units.
- Added Aghanim's Scepter (Applies the current level of Curse of the Silent to all units and increases ultimate duration by one second).
- Last Word manacost increased from 100 to 115.
- Base Intelligence increased by 6.
- Base Damage reduced by 6.
- Curse of the Silent
- Duration rescaled from 5/6/7/8 to 6.
- HP drain rescaled from 20/30/40/50 to 20/35/50/65.
- Mana drain rescaled from 10/15/20/25 to 8/16/24/32.
- Int steal moved from Last Word back to Glaives of Wisdom.
- Now steals Intelligence from outside of the AoE if Silencer gets the kill.
- AoE increased from 850 to the standard 900 range.
- Last Word replaced with new active skill:
- Targets an enemy unit placing a debuff on it. While the debuff is active, casting any spell causes the target to become silenced and take damage. If the duration of the debuff runs out without the target casting a spell, it will still take damage and be silenced but also be disarmed.
- Debuff Duration: 5
- Damage: 150/200/250/300
- Silence/Disarm Duration: 3/4/5/6
- Cast Range: 900
- Cooldown: 36/28/20/12
- Manacost: 100
- Note: You have basic vision over the last word target while the initial buff is on them.
- Global Silence
- Cooldown decreased from 160 to 140.
- Duration increased from 3/4.5/6 to 4/5/6.
- Strength growth increased from 1.7 to 2.2.
- Last Word now always steals 2 intelligence if an enemy hero dies in its AoE.
- Global Silence duration increased from 3/4/5 to 3/4.5/6.
- Glaives of Wisdom damage increased from 30/40/50/60% to 30/45/60/75%.
- Last Word
- Now functions while Silencer is stunned/silenced.
- No longer triggers when enemies use items.
- Movement speed increased from 290 to 300.
- Curse of the Silent cast range decreased from 900 to 800.
- Glaives of Wisdom cooldown removed.
- Last Word
- Now muted when Silencer is stunned (previously it was only when silenced).
- No longer triggers on Spell-Attacks (Frost Arrows, Burning Spears, etc).
- AoE decreased from 900 to 750.
- Now steals a point of intelligence if Silencer gets a killing blow on a hero.
- This is in addition if the hero died within the AoE. So if you kill a hero you will steal 2 intelligence points, otherwise you will steal 1.
- Curse of the Silent cooldown rebalanced from 14 to 20/18/16/14.
- Glaives of Wisdom
- Damage increased from 15/30/45/60% to 30/40/50/60%.
- Cooldown decreased from 3/2/1/0 to 2/0/0/0.
- Base damage modified a little from 39-61 to 43-57
- Curse of the Silent duration changed from 2/4/6/8 to 5/6/7/8
- Curse of the Silent cooldown reduced from 20 to 14
- Curse of the Silent manacost decreased from 105/115/125/135 to 75/95/115/135
- Curse of the Silent damage/burn reduced from 50/25 hp/mp to 20/10, 30/15, 40/20 and 50/25.
- Transferred Glaive of Wisdom's secondary effect of +1/-1 Intelligence from hero kills to Last Word. If an enemy hero dies under the Last Word effect, that hero will lose 1 intelligence and you will gain 1 intelligence.
- Increased Last Word AoE from 700 to 900
- Rebalanced Curse of the Silent from 10/20/30/40 HP and 5/10/15/20 mana per second for 10 seconds to 50 HP and 25 mana for 2/4/6/8 seconds.
- Recoded Last Word to properly detect animation canceling and silence after a spell is casted
- Lowered Last Word duration (1/2/3/4->0.75/1.5/2.25/3)
- Increased Curse of the Silent AOE and reduced cooldown slightly
- Curse of the Silent is now an AOE effect
- Silencer's movement speed reduced from 300 to 290.
- Last Word will only work if Silencer is not silenced
- Last word AOE from 500/600/700/800 to a constant 700.
- Last Word no longer affects Blink Dagger or Black King Bar.
- Last Word effect now only happens after a spell is finished casting, not starting to cast. Now channeling abilities will be able to work without getting silenced first
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Balanced many aspects of silencer abilities
 Replaced Abilities
 See also