Rhasta the Shadow Shaman is a ranged intelligence Hero mostly used as a pusher and disabler, wielding abilities that make pushing lanes more efficient. When his abilities are used in intelligent combos he has one of the longest disables in game. He is also capable of disabling multiple enemy heroes, allowing him to initiate encounters as well. Though very supportive in nature, until the late game Rhasta is capable of killing lone enemy heroes with the use of his entire skill set; meaning he is more difficult to gank than most other supports. Playing Rhasta well requires good knowledge of target priority and timing; and some minor micromanagement. His peak is mid-game, but he can continue to wreak havoc on enemies all throughout the match.
|Mass Serpent Ward|
 Recommended item
- Euls Scepter of Divinity is a commonly built item, used in conjunction with Mass Serpent Wards. Catching an enemy hero in a cyclone gives you ample time to place the Serpent Wards around the hero, trapping it. You can then further disable the hero by using Shackles.
- Shackles is a channeling spell. Enemy units and heroes can interrupt Rhasta with stuns and disables, when he is holding enemy down. It's better to use it when your target is alone.
- Always cancel the backswing animation after casting your spells, as Rhasta's animations are quite lengthy.
- Necronomicon is an ideal choice to attack your enemy while you're shackling it. Together with your Serpent Wards and the Necronomicon's Summons, the kill is almost guaranteed.
- Rhasta's spells have a very high mana cost. Build up your mana pool and mana regeneration with items or you may find yourself unable to cast anything in critical situations.
- A useful trick when going one-on-one with an opponent is to summon your Mass Serpent Ward near or behind the enemy and then hold them in place with your Shackles spell. If mana will allow, using Hex will give you a few seconds to set this up uninterrupted.
- Rhasta's Serpent Wards can be commanded. Beginners often neglect to control them, but even if Rhasta is dead he can have a big impact on a fight with intelligent use of his wards.
- Medallion of Courage is a very useful item, as his Serpent Wards deal physical damage.
- The name Rhasta is based on the Rastafarians, a follower of a religious movement in Jamaica known as Rastafari. In DotA, his hero model and dialogue had a strong Jamaican influence and style. But in Dota 2, his theme and style has undertaken a more Middle-Eastern influence, mostly evident in his attire and accent.
- Rhasta is also a Persian name and word that means "truth" or "path".
 Update history
- Fixed Shackles doing a little less damage than intended.
- Updated Shadow Shaman's attack sound.
- Updated Ether Shock's visual effects and sound.
- Fixed Mass Serpent Wards having no cast point.
- [Undocumented] Added Teleport animations for Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Broodmother, Clinkz, Lifestealer, Necrolyte and Shadow Shaman.
- [Undocumented] Added Spawn animations for Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Necrolyte and Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Ether Shock ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed Corrosive Skin affecting Serpent Wards.
- [Undocumented] Added a haste rune run animation for Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Serpent Wards having instant attack point (instead of 0.3).
- [Undocumented] Added idle injured animations for Shadow Shaman.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Shadow Shaman.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Ethershock hitting units in the FoW.
- Fixed Ether Shock hitting invisible units.
- Fixed Voodoo not being blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- Veno wards and Shadow shaman wards all use the smaller hull size. This should prevent them from blocking narrow paths.
- Added lifetime indictator for Rhasta's Wards.
- Fixed Lion's Mana Drain and Shadow Shaman's Shackles to properly handle getting purged.
- Fixed Shadow Shaman's wards and Venomancer's Wards not being able to attack Roshan.
- Fixed Shadow Shaman's wards not drawing.
- New Serpent Ward model
- Fixed cast point issues with Shadow Shaman, Lion and Tinker.
- Fixed Lifesteal from leeching off of wards (like rhasta's wards).
- Fixed more bugs with Ether Shock search area.
- Added Shadow Shaman VO.
- Fixed Ether Shock search distance.
- Added tooltip durations to Shadow Shaman's abilities.
 Balance changelog
- Shackles duration increased from 2.5/3.25/4/4.75 to 2.75/3.5/4.25/5.
- Mass Serpent Wards can no longer trap Roshan.
- Mass Serpent Wards:
- Ward count increased from 8 to 10.
- Changed ward placement structure.
- Basic version damage numbers also normalized a bit from 39-43/54-58/69-73 to 40-45/55-60/70-75.
- Base damage increased by 5.
- Ether Shock target count rescaled from 3/4/6/7 to 1/3/5/7.
- Ether Shock damage rescaled from 80/160/240/320 to 140/200/260/320.
- Ether Shock cooldown from 10 to 8.
- Aghanim's Scepter version of Mass Serpent Wards no longer increases ward count. Instead, the damage of the wards is increased to match previous damage output.
- Mass Serpent Wards cooldown increased from 100/80/60 to 110.
- Hex duration reduced from 1/2/3/4 to 1.25/2/2.75/3.5 seconds.
- Aghanim's Scepter Mass Serpent Wards count reduced from 12 to 10.
- Increased cast range on Mass Serpent Wards.
- Increased Rhasta's base strength.
- Improved Mass Serpent Wards' cooldown.
- Increased Rhasta's movement speed a bit.
- Shackle's duration from 3/4/5/6 to 2.5/3.25/4/4.75 and damage 40dmg/sec to Shackled target
- Balance tweaks done to the following heroes (Don't panic, these are mostly VERY minor, but you guys like to know, so here):
- Broodmother, Sven, SA, Enigma, Ursa, Tinker, Tiny, Sniper, Troll, Rhasta, Bristleback, Dragon Knight, Venomancer, Viper, Spiritbreaker, Bounty Hunter, Jugg, VS, Zeus, Weaver, Tide Hunter, Enchantress and Silencer.
- Slightly increased cooldown on rhasta wards
- Reduced duration of Rhasta's Hex from 2/3/4/5 to 1/2/3/4
 See also